Did John Schneider anonymously leak the free agency plan?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Check out this quote from an anonymous GM to Peter King. Based on King's description of the team and its needs, everything fits to a T with the Seahawks.

1. The new young class of general managers are far more interested in building through the draft than with their checkbooks. Consider this point from one such young-turk general manager of a team that in the past has spent generously in the March free-agent market: "I'm more concerned with keeping our own team intact than spending money on players we could use, but who would create problems of their own." Although this team needs a wide receiver and pass rusher, this general manager fears the impact of high-priced imports on his locker room at a time when he's not going to be able to pay everyone big money.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp

Very interesting. The Hawks will no doubt face some very tough decisions on good players in the next few years when the time comes for their second contracts. That is the worst consequence of drafting so well. Unfortunately, not everyone is likely to stick around because of the cap.

If this was Schnieder talking, and if he was telling the truth (and it certainly makes sense), this could be a very dull free agency period.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• No worries, it won't be dull. We'll have enough rumors flying around in here to keep you busy without any signings :stirthepot:

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Hmm, kind of sounds like it. And, I posted on here a question on how bringing in a high-priced would effect chemistry. Sounds like our man...
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Missing_Clink wrote:
    If this was Schnieder talking, and if he was telling the truth (and it certainly makes sense), this could be a very dull free agency period.

I certainly hope so. We're building our team for long term success and not trying to go for broke one year on one high profile free agent. Reward our cap space on our own guys.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Missing_Clink wrote:Check out this quote from an anonymous GM to Peter King. Based on King's description of the team and its needs, everything fits to a T with the Seahawks.

1. The new young class of general managers are far more interested in building through the draft than with their checkbooks. Consider this point from one such young-turk general manager of a team that in the past has spent generously in the March free-agent market: "I'm more concerned with keeping our own team intact than spending money on players we could use, but who would create problems of their own." Although this team needs a wide receiver and pass rusher, this general manager fears the impact of high-priced imports on his locker room at a time when he's not going to be able to pay everyone big money.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp

Very interesting. The Hawks will no doubt face some very tough decisions on good players in the next few years when the time comes for their second contracts. That is the worst consequence of drafting so well. Unfortunately, not everyone is likely to stick around because of the cap.

Sounds like JS, but I think the point that this anonymous GM is making is that by not spending heavily in free agency, you can actually afford to keep those players on the team that you like. It's more that poor consequences come from bringing in outsides than it is from drafting well.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I don't think much of that statement is particularly illuminating or really all that secret. Knowing Peter King, he probably just wants to make it sound like has some sort of amazing scoop.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Not sure about the "spent generously in April" part though. Thinking about it, Rice, Miller and to lesser degrees Gallery, TJack, Branch and Jones could be thought of as "spent generously in April".

It doesn't come as a surprise but who knows what happens once opportunity is revealed? There remains hope for those that like the excitement of the FA period.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Kerney, Housh, etc. We've been annual players in big ticket FA's

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• Is there even any FA's this year that anyone gives a crap about? The lists I've seen have been pretty underwhelming.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• If teams like the Jets, Eagles and prior to RG3 Redskins proved anything it's that going on free agency spending sprees is not the right way to win a Championship..........and Schneider knows that.

Long term success is predicated on growing your own talent, then adding pieces around. Definitely not spending 50 million in one year, then having a cap nightmare for the next five years.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Carson Palmer, here we come! I've got an inside source that says so. :D
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• i want a impacting D lineman, don't care how we get him, just get him... other than that, i'm good with the draft as far as WR and O lineman go... we have got to stop the run better and get a pass rush going next season, or we'll be in the same boat.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Every year I get gacked up about F.A. and this year?....Nope, we aren't going to do much at all, so it is all window dressing. Our cap is looming in the next couple years and we can't dive in and pay these Jabronies the coin they want.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I don't like spending coin for jabronies.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Carson Palmer, here we come! I've got an inside source that says so. :D

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL best .NET laugh I've had in a long time. I was just thinking about that post... which quoted, word for word, a telephone conversation between Pete Carroll and someone in the Browns front office... that was an excellent source indeed.

On a more serious note, yes, we are going to have a real problem keeping our guys next year and every single year after that, especially when Wilson gets his new contract before the 2015 season. We are going to be losing great players to the salary cap every year after that. So if you sign anybody expensive up this year, John, you better get all that money in salary cap year 2013, because 2014 is going to be rough and 2015 is going to be a nightmare.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think any approach the Hawks take will be Ravens-esque, if you will. Augmenting the lineup with some solid, capable vets (Matt Birk, Anquan Boldin, Bryant McKinnie, Bernard Pollard, Bobbie Williams, Corey Graham) while making sure that the core is homegrown for the most part.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Carson Palmer, here we come! I've got an inside source that says so. :D

WE HAVE A QUARTERBACK AND HIS NAME IS CHARLIE!!! <slams phone>

God I miss Trauma regaling us with tall tales from imagination land...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• :229031_shrug:

I wouldn't consider that a "leak." It's what he's been saying all along. The fact that we did make some noise in FA in the past couple of years was more because we were in a hurry to be competitive. Now that we are, it's back to the draft for the majority of our moves. It takes forever to build a top notch team just through the draft, which is why so many owners and teams get impatient and look for the big scores in FA. But, once you lose patience and go that route too far, it's a losing proposition. Ask Dan Snyder.

Our plan seems to be judicious use of FA signings to plug holes and gaps, and shrewd drafting, including trades that maximize picks and shots at quality players later in the draft. So far, they have been combining those steps, in that they sign a vet and draft a rook for the same job and let them fight it out. ComPete.

I don't have a problem with this. I kind of like it. :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I can see us making an impact but not signing a over 5MM contract. My guess is Freeney is a guy we sign on a 2 year contact for 4 MM per.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Sounds just like Schneider. Especially the pass rusher and wide receiver bit, pretty much gave the game away. Almost like a little nod to the Seahawks fans from Peter King.

And if it is Schneider, makes it more likely they go DT in the first three rounds if they're not going to go after guys like Melton or Starks.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• A crowded Free Agency means a better chance of seeing some good players not get the market they hoped for. What if Cliff Avril and/or Michael Johnson just sit out there? If their demands start coming down, I could see Seattle swooping in like they did for Rice, Miller, and Flynn. And then you have guys like Desmond Bryant, Danario Alexander (RFA), Danny Amendola and Brian Hartline who could be considerations if they don't find a ton of suitors.

But yeah, I really doubt we'll see Seattle do much early, though I'm betting Wilson sent a few valentine's cards Tony Gonzales' way already.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• My BS meter is on high. They are not stupid and don't leak info on less they want it known
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Nabbing Michael Johnson for cheap in free agency would bring out my happy. Dude seems very studly and a good fit for our pass rush sub set.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Largent80 wrote:Every year I get gacked up about F.A. and this year?....Nope, we aren't going to do much at all, so it is all window dressing. Our cap is looming in the next couple years and we can't dive in and pay these Jabronies the coin they want.

correct!!! we'll do some dumpster diving like we have in the past but no big FA money will be spent. Too many cap issues coming next year.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Happypuppy wrote:My BS meter is on high. They are not stupid and don't leak info on less they want it known

+1
    Way to vague! Needs a WR and Pass rusher, come on. Most teams need an upgrade in these areas! If he had anything he would have named dropped.
    IMHO he is just :stirthepot: hoping some fans will say "Hey thats my team"
    Do you think JS would sit down with King, give him the 2013 blue print and then say "But don't use my name" No. That would be a waste of JS's time.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

• They're psyching everyone out so they can grab one of the best O-linemen in the draft. Hopefully. You can't go wrong building an elite O-line; you just can't. I'll be supremely happy if they manage to get a top DT instead in the 1st round, too. Need the DT more, too.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• CANHawk wrote:Nabbing Michael Johnson for cheap in free agency would bring out my happy. Dude seems very studly and a good fit for our pass rush sub set.

I think every team in the league would jump at the chance to get Michael Johnson on the cheap. I'd love to get him but he is gonna get paid. Still, with his uncommon size, I have to think the Hawks would be interested
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• 200 move years are long time gone. This team was built well and it was built quickly.

The Seahawks offense and defense are not the only things being studied by the rest of the league.
    I doubt it was JS leaking anything.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

• It's hardly a 'leak' is it? I mean, it's not like JS has to keep this info under wraps. He's not going to attack free agency. Not a huge revelation. It could be JS. It might not be. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was the GM in question.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• How is this a leak? Every year Pete tells us exactly what he needs to do in his end of year presser, and this year was no exception. Then everyone is startled when we do exactly what he said.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• P&J have demonstrated repeatedly that they can identify and develop talent through the draft. When the cap hell does descend in the next couple years, we may have to let some guys go but will likely pick up more draft picks as a result. I have complete confidence in them. Our front office is not binging and purging like an anorexic supermodel.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:It's hardly a 'leak' is it? I mean, it's not like JS has to keep this info under wraps. He's not going to attack free agency. Not a huge revelation. It could be JS. It might not be. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he was the GM in question.

I think the term "leak" is appropriate. The fact that there was no name attached to the quote is certainly indicative of the speaker seeking to maintain at least some confidentiality. The information stated is hardly top secret stuff, but "leak" still seems like a good descriptor.

I also never suggested that this was a huge revelation. Anyone who looks at the Seahawks' cap projections for the next five years can see that difficult times are ahead, and big free agent signings now won't help.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• I would think of a leak being something like saying who your top 3 targets are in the draft. The WR and DL statement could be considered a leak of the team's draft plans if you wanted to project the statement and you can correctly guess this is Schneider. I would imagine FA is not that big a secret of who is being targeted by whom, any team interested in a particular player knows there is competition whether they know the name of the team or not.

Of course, this is information that can be used later in the draft to help your team project what other teams are looking for in the draft.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• It's official...JS wants Mike Wallace
    fridayfrenzy
    NET Rookie

Your keyboard license has been revoked!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

• Happypuppy wrote:My BS meter is on high. They are not stupid and don't leak info on less they want it known

Pete and John have made it known with a slip of the tongue here and there that they enjoy misleading other teams as to their real intentions. Aonther point on the scale for making John Schnieder the "GM of the Year".
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information