Mike Salk headed back to Boston... huge bummer

Bipolar

Reaction score
a MEGA bummer for me personally. I have been religeously listening to Brock & Salk podcasts on a daily basis for nearly 2 years now.
I was sooo looking forward to hear them live on the radio when I finally move to Seattle in March... Salk will be greately missed...

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I can listen to just about anyone but Mahler. How he's been on the air all these years will never cease to baffle me.

Salk is good, but sometimes he plays the outsider card a bit much. He pretty much dismisses XL because he wasn't around then.

OP
OP
LawHawk

LawHawk

Reaction score
Salk made his official announcement today. It was sad. He won't be leaving for a few weeks but it sounds like we will be listening to his replacement in the weeks before the draft.

Hilariously, you can go read the job posting for his job. Clearly they are looking for a "radio guy" to replace him, and not another athlete like Brock. That makes me happy.

Basis4day

Reaction score
LawHawk":20g8u44k said:
Salk made his official announcement today. It was sad. He won't be leaving for a few weeks but it sounds like we will be listening to his replacement in the weeks before the draft.

Hilariously, you can go read the job posting for his job. Clearly they are looking for a "radio guy" to replace him, and not another athlete like Brock. That makes me happy.

Better to have that balance. (Please not Gas Man, Please not Gas Man)

soxhawk

Reaction score
I'm thinking Mitch Levy is on the ESPN 710 payroll, as it is almost unbearable to listen to his show and forces me to change to Mike and Mike.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LawHawk":1j5m1uty said:

Sports radio is kinda like the booth, if it's a team they want one radio guy and one athlete.......rarely do you see two athletes.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sounds like Salk is fire up to be returning home to hockey

"For a kid who grew up rooting for Boston's sports teams, I can't wait to get behind that microphone and connect with the most avid sports fans in the country," Salk said. "From the best play-by-play in radio to their breakthrough work with the Jimmy Fund, WEEI is still the gold standard in sports talk radio.

"I'm especially excited to talk Bruins hockey. I grew up a rabid Bruins fan and have great memories from the old Boston Garden. My wife might not know it yet, but our 1-year old daughter will be wearing a lot of black and gold in the future."

Throwdown

Reaction score
They should totally hire a basketball guy, that way it'd be nothing but basketball & football, and no more boring baseball talk.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
No KJR retreads. I would like someone that really knows football. I understand the walrus is moving back to Seattle ....

OP
OP
LawHawk

LawHawk

Reaction score
I would be okay with Gas or Mitch or Ian Furness or Softy. Those guys are all so much better than Bob and Groz or Kevin Calabro and Jim Moore.

Even better, bring in someone like Salk! Someone really great that's in another city right now. Hopefully this is considered a good job, since it ended up being very successful towards the end (in my opinion because Salk was so good on the radio).

morgulon1

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the Bostononian jabronie. There is no faking it. He is NOT a true Seahawk fan and I never accepted him as such. On the other hand Huard is a badass and he'll be fine without him. Having said that, I wish him the best of luck moving foward.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Why do they need to be a Seahawks fan?

Surely this is just about highlighting the talking points of the day, presenting in the right manner and generating debate? Plus being able to deliver a great interview with Pete Carroll. Salk did all of those things.

We don't need to hear a fan banging his chest and getting worked up like we all do after a defeat. We need perspective, someone who can see past the hysteria and make a reasoned case. Who cares whether that means the person is from Seattle, Boston, the moon, wherever?

HawksFTW

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1zypx6ca said:
Why do they need to be a Seahawks fan?

Surely this is just about highlighting the talking points of the day, presenting in the right manner and generating debate? Plus being able to deliver a great interview with Pete Carroll. Salk did all of those things.

We don't need to hear a fan banging his chest and getting worked up like we all do after a defeat. We need perspective, someone who can see past the hysteria and make a reasoned case. Who cares whether that means the person is from Seattle, Boston, the moon, wherever?

:13:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I like Seahawks fans that are objective with their analysis. Sports Hernia will probably have himself a little liberal stroke at this, but a large part of why I like Dori Monson is his straightforward attitude when discussing the Seahawks on the radio pregame and postgame shows on 710 ESPN. He's not afraid to call anybody out, and he doesn't pick us to win all the time; though that may change this year, because now we're a very-good-turning-into-elite team that expects to win every game.

I definitely dislike homer sports personalities, though.

HUGGY

Reaction score
razgriz737":33dlfrip said:
SNDavidson":33dlfrip said:
How epic would Huard/Hasselbeck be?
This x1000.

Somebody make this happen!

I dunno? I would feel bad for a couple of our local guys having to describe Wilson's performances both knowing that they could never have done what he does so effortlessly.

OP
OP
LawHawk

LawHawk

Reaction score
I agree that the hosts should be "fans" in the sense that they pay very close attention to the games, because that's their job, but they should be able to be objective when we're not.

That said, if you want a guy who's a fan, who in the universe was a bigger fan of Russell Wilson than Mike Salk? He said, on the air, that he would be okay with taking Wilson with the #12 overall pick. Before the Patriots game, before the KC pre-season game, before the draft. As much as some people here can claim to have been early adopters of Wilsonism, I do not know of one other person who said on the record Wilson could be the #12 overall pick and they'd be happy with it - before the draft.

tomahawk

Reaction score
Too bad he's going, one of the better radio guys in the area by far. I actually enjoyed the fact that he wasn't from here and didn't wear the rose colored glasses all the time. Nice to have an outside view on our teams.

Good luck Mike.

Harperville

Reaction score
Keep in mind guys that Salk's replacement will be a ''radio guy'' and probably a ''baseball guy'' since Brock is obviously the football guy.