Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Who is the greatest NBA player of all time?
Michael Jordan 74%  74%  [ 31 ]
LeBron James 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Other 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 42
 Post subject: Greatest NBA Player Ever
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:06 pm 
NET Rookie

Simple question: who's the greatest NBA player of all time?
Michael Jordan or Lebron (or other):
I say LeBron

Post subject: Re: Greatest NBA Player Ever
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:13 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

Steve Kerr

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:38 pm 
NET Veteran

Michael Jordan. When the game's on the line, when you need a general to step up and take charge of the squad on the floor, when you need that extra push, MJ ALL DAY!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm 
NET Veteran

Chamberlin, Oscar Robinson, Davis Thompson, Jordan, Magic, Abdul Jabbar, Moses Malone Bill Russell, all better then Labron James. due to they would do whatever it took to win and played better at Money time then any other time.

James has yet to show me he can take things over when everyone expects him to and still succeed while making his team better.

I would go farther yet and say Dennis Johnson was a more complete player, defense, offense, assists and rebounding. He did what was needed any given night to help both the Sonics and the Celtics later win.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:44 pm 
NET Rookie

chris98251 wrote:
Chamberlin, Oscar Robinson, Davis Thompson, Jordan, Magic, Abdul Jabbar, Moses Malone Bill Russell, all better then Labron James. due to they would do whatever it took to win and played better at Money time then any other time.

James has yet to show me he can take things over when everyone expects him to and still succeed while making his team better.

I would go farther yet and say Dennis Johnson was a more complete player, defense, offense, assists and rebounding. He did what was needed any given night to help both the Sonics and the Celtics later win.

You're saying Lebron can't take a game over, did you see him score 40 against Boston to force game 7 last year, or when he scored 25 straight against Detroit. LeBron can play defense, shoot the 3, play in the post, and is unstoppable when he is driving to the hoop. People that say Lebron isn't the greatest of all time are crazy, and when people said he went to Miami cause he couldn't win a title on his own, no one won a title on thier own. MJ had Pippen, Rodman and Kerr, and one o the greatest coaches ever. Basketball is much better now because everyone is better athletes, Lebron is by FAR the best player ever. I don't think it's even remotely close between MJ and Lebron. MJ would not be as good in today's NBA

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:51 pm 
NET Veteran

He can't take a game over when it means something and is counted on, he doesn't make the other players on the floor better.

Chamberlin scored over a 100 points and routinely scored 50 plus in his career, played defense and passed the ball, Robinson could hit any shot and pass and play defense when everyone on the floor was a threat. James is a me first player to full of his entitlements to be anything other then a statistic in a long line of players. Pete Maravich had more offense then James has and could pass a ball through a eye of a needle, never played defense though. If James is so great on defense where is his all defense team recognition?

I seen all the players I listed play, eyeball test says it all, there is no IT factor with James, it's all about the ME factor.

.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:22 pm 
NET Veteran

seahawks875 wrote:
chris98251 wrote:

You're saying Lebron can't take a game over, did you see him score 40 against Boston to force game 7 last year, or when he scored 25 straight against Detroit. LeBron can play defense, shoot the 3, play in the post, and is unstoppable when he is driving to the hoop. People that say Lebron isn't the greatest of all time are crazy, and when people said he went to Miami cause he couldn't win a title on his own, no one won a title on thier own. MJ had Pippen, Rodman and Kerr, and one o the greatest coaches ever. Basketball is much better now because everyone is better athletes, Lebron is by FAR the best player ever. I don't think it's even remotely close between MJ and Lebron. MJ would not be as good in today's NBA

No offense, but how old are you? Basketball is better now? That's ludicrous? MJ and Lebron aren't even remotely close? That's downright insanity.

Lebron wouldn't be s..t in the 90's.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:27 pm 
NET Veteran

Quote:
No offense, but how old are you? Basketball is better now? That's ludicrous? MJ and Lebron aren't even remotely close? That's downright insanity.

Lebron wouldn't be s..t in the 90's.

If you want to see a player that can take a game up a notch look no further then the Glove, at Money time he was nothing short of a phenom. He could push his team mates to levels that were not beleivable while taking over the floor as a scorer if needed on defense and got everyone on his team involved making passes and setting them up to score.

Thats the part of the game Lebron doesn't have.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:28 am 
NET Veteran

I think that every generation thinks their players are the greatest. The Lebron fan probably never saw Jordan play. Jordan was a better defender, leader, shooter, dribber, smarter player than Lebron is. Lebron is a physical freak that has harnessed those gifts but not expanded on them.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:58 am 
NET Veteran

Agreed whole-heartedly brother. I feel like I can speak honestly about Jordan because I've never been a fan. Payton was and is my favorite player of all time. Nobody shut down Jordan in the playoffs like GP did. The crazy thing is though, Jordan still scored almost 30 a game. That battle will always be my favorite basketball moment of all time. Especially finally seeing GP dunk with Jordan chasing him.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:12 am 
NET Veteran

I guess what many of us see is a complete player, not a player that has been given mad skills. Skills, court smarts, vision, leading, being able to be unselfish and read a situation to keep the rest of the team involved in the game. So many of the little things that when it comes to crucial times make up the difference of a great player vs a legend of the game.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 am 
* NET Baller *

I don't see a "me me me" factor in 'Bron's game at all, I do think that is what propelled MJ to greatness though. MJ held so many chips on his shoulder from his past experiences, that it literally made his the best player in the game. But I don't believe for one second that LeBron is a selfish player, if you want selfish look no further than Allen Iverson or even now its Carmelo Anthony. Lebron though is going down as a top 5 player thats ever played the game, whether some of the older people nostalgia lets that be accepted or not.

But where is Luke Ridnour on these options? I NEED TO KNOW?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:14 am 
NET Veteran

lebron just started to tap into his potential, he will win a few more rings but he isn't micheal jordan. jordan is wired differently than lebron, same with bill russell.

this is all personal opinion but bill russell is the best player to ever lace them up. period.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 am 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Throwdown wrote:
I don't see a "me me me" factor in 'Bron's game at all, I do think that is what propelled MJ to greatness though. MJ held so many chips on his shoulder from his past experiences, that it literally made his the best player in the game. But I don't believe for one second that LeBron is a selfish player, if you want selfish look no further than Allen Iverson or even now its Carmelo Anthony. Lebron though is going down as a top 5 player thats ever played the game, whether some of the older people nostalgia lets that be accepted or not.

But where is Luke Ridnour on these options? I NEED TO KNOW?

Top 5 in terms of talent and ability? Sure. But top 5 all time? He's got quite a lot more work to do to reach that IMO. Though I do agree with you about the supposed selfishness that others are seeing in LeBron.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:03 am 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

I would take Larry Bird over Labron any day and Larry is nothing athleticly to Labron.

But when it comes to making people better, and big game moments there is no comparison between the two.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 am 
* NET Starfish *

Kevin Durant.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:26 am 
* NET Baller *

peachesenregalia wrote:
Kevin Durant.

0 rings ;)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:36 am 
* NET Starfish *

Throwdown wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
Kevin Durant.

0 rings ;)

YET.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:38 am 
* NET Baller *

peachesenregalia wrote:
Throwdown wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
Kevin Durant.

0 rings ;)

YET.

I'm just saying according to some here the ring arguments on a young mans career is all that matters.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 am 
NET Rookie

I'm changing my vote to Uncle Drew

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:25 am 
* NET Moderator *

Ask me again when Lebron is done. Right now I'd vote Jordan. But I think Lebron could take Jordan in a game of 1 on 1. He'd outmuscle him.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:15 pm 
* NET Cynic *

Did somebody really call LeBron a selfish player? He was getting ripped endlessly last season for not being selfish enough in the fourth quarter of games.

LeBron is probably the most gifted player I've ever seen. Doesn't mean he's the best, but historically, I think he's already much better than he's given credit for.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:21 pm 
* NET Baller *

Rat wrote:
Did somebody really call LeBron a selfish player? He was getting ripped endlessly last season for not being selfish enough in the fourth quarter of games.

LeBron is probably the most gifted player I've ever seen. Doesn't mean he's the best, but historically, I think he's already much better than he's given credit for.

I think thats all I'm really arguing.

FWIW I went with Jordan, I mean I rock the mans shoes for a reason.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:29 pm 
NET Veteran

Well I would bet on Elgin Baylor over Labron 10 of 10 times. Bob McAdoo as well, why? Because they were freakishly gifted like Labron but had a killer instinct and hunger that I just don't see in him at all.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
NET Veteran

for me, it's who would you want with the ball in their hands at the end of the game in a critical situation.. MJ all day.. until Lebron proves he can do it over and over again, or has the like MJ, my vote is for Jordan... and i'm talking NBA finals, not regular season....

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

hawker84 wrote:
for me, it's who would you want with the ball in their hands at the end of the game in a critical situation..

Honestly, if this is your criteria then the only correct answer is Robert Horry. Dude has more game winnings shots, and game winners in big games than ANYONE. I think he has the most rings too.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm 
NET Veteran

The question is who is the greatest player ever...not who has the most rings or who can hit a shot with no time left.

The greatest plaer ever is Spud Webb, yeah lets see if Labron can jump 46 inches high (Labron 44 inches)

But on the for real side of things most will think that the best player in their era is #1 overall.

Again I am with peaches, Durant is better then Labron, but Labron gets WAY more hype.

I didn't get to see all the 1960s and 70's guys play so I am not even going to touch on them, But Jordon cared the most about all aspects of his game and it showed.

I would take Jordan, Bird, Durant, Kareem, Shaq and even Duncan (who gets zero love) over Labron.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 pm 
* NET Moderator *

Spokane wrote:
The question is who is the greatest player ever...not who has the most rings or who can hit a shot with no time left.

The greatest plaer ever is Spud Webb, yeah lets see if Labron can jump 46 inches high (Labron 44 inches)

But on the for real side of things most will think that the best player in their era is #1 overall.

Again I am with peaches, Durant is better then Labron, but Labron gets WAY more hype.

I didn't get to see all the 1960s and 70's guys play so I am not even going to touch on them, But Jordon cared the most about all aspects of his game and it showed.

I would take Jordan, Bird, Durant, Kareem, Shaq and even Duncan (who gets zero love) over Labron.

Durant shouldnt even be in the same conversation as Lebron (yet). Maybe if you're talking about the best scorers in the NBA. But Lebron does everything else better, and its not even comparable, imo. And could probably be a better scorer then Durant if he wanted to be as well.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:56 pm 
* NET Starfish *

JSeahawks wrote:
Spokane wrote:

Durant shouldnt even be in the same conversation as Lebron (yet). Maybe if you're talking about the best scorers in the NBA. But Lebron does everything else better, and its not even comparable, imo. And could probably be a better scorer then Durant if he wanted to be as well.

I don't think LeBron could ever be as pure and natural of a scorer as Durant. Everything else? yeah, LeBron's probably better, but don't count KD out. All facets of his game improve exponentially each year.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 pm 
NET Veteran

If I had to choose, I'd take KD over Bron-Bron.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:10 pm 
* NET Starfish *

-The Glove- wrote:

This guy knows what's up. JSeahawks is still just reeling because his Blazers had the chance to draft KD (Much like with MJ), but didn't.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:24 pm 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

Larry went off the building, off the bridge, around the fire truck.... Nothing but net.

How can that not be the best?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:27 pm 
NET Veteran

No love for Willis Reed for a player that carried his team on one leg to a championship. That was some series by the way, most heroic games I have ever seen in sports were him playing basically on one leg and Chamberlin playing with two broken hands in casts almost in one of his series as a Laker.

Oh the Reed team had Dave Debussher, Earl Monroe, Walt Frazier, and some guy named Phil Jackson.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm 
* NET Moderator *

peachesenregalia wrote:
-The Glove- wrote:

This guy knows what's up. JSeahawks is still just reeling because his Blazers had the chance to draft KD (Much like with MJ), but didn't.

The fact that we could have had Jordan still hurts. I thought Oden was the right pick at the time and still do (even though obviously hindsite goes the other way). I've never really regretted not having Durant. I recognize he's a GREAT player, and he will undoubtedly win Championships, just for whatever reason i'm not in love with his game, i think he's kind of boring to watch.

The one that hurts me the most right now is that we could have had Chris Paul but chose Martell Webster instead.

Post subject: Comparisons
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:17 pm 
NET Practice Squad

You can't compare players who don't play the same position aka kobe vs lebron or mj vs lebron. It doesn't make sense. Different eras, play styles, training regime, etc. Rings matter, but they don't tell the whole story. Lebron was very fortunate to make it out of the east in 07, why? Because the east back then was jack shit. The west was by far harder because you even if you had 50 wins you might not get in, see the golden state warriors. Kobe got 5 rings, 3 with shaq and 2 with pau. Lebron got his with wade and bosh technically in their prime. MJ got his with pippen and arguably one of the best benches in basketball at that time. MJ was far dominant than kobe and lebron imo. But in terms of one vs one, MJ is the winnner no doubt. Only Kobe would be close. Lebron has more of a Magic johnson game, built like a train, and relies on his physical gifts more than any successful athlete I've ever seen. You have MJ and Kobe at 6' 8" and it wouldn't be a question who would win vs lebron. Just my 2 cents.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:35 pm 
* Handsome *

Kids these days!

Jordan is the best basketball player to ever live.

Magic and Bird are right behind.

Followed by greats of their eras: Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Kobe, Duncan, Dr.J, Malone, Olajuwon, Shaq, etc.

LeBron hahahahahaha. On par with George Gervin.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm 
* NET Radish *

Tech Worlds wrote:
Larry went off the building, off the bridge, around the fire truck.... Nothing but net.

How can that not be the best?

Those were great commercials but I remember them only for the competition between Bird & Jordan. Couldn't tell you what they were selling.

:les:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:37 pm 
NET Veteran

The only person to mention the Big O didn't even get his name correct. The last name is Robertson. Oscar Robertson is the only man in history to average a triple double for a season. He was also just 0.9 percentage points combined away from achieving the feat three other seasons. If you average out his first five seasons they come out to a triple double. He was incredible.

I had a very strong hatred for Jordan as a player since it was almost always his Bulls that would bounce the Hawks from the playoffs. He was a fantastic player and it was enjoyable watching play after my Hawks were eliminated, but I don't believe he was better than Robertson.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:49 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

To me, Dr. J was the man. To someone else it is Bird. Or Cousy, Or Big O. Russell? Chamberlain? Jabbar? Jerry West was one bad mofo. The list goes on and on.

This argument is like asking who is the greatest Football or Baseball player of all time. Just no way of saying. Games have evolved/changed.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:54 pm 
NET Veteran

Look for some of the old video of Dr. J. IMO he was as good as Jordan in his ABA days.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:33 pm 
NET Veteran

I don't know who is the greatest (I do know MJ was the most transcending) but I do know that LeBron (Please god stop spelling it LaBron) is one of the greatest already.

Lebron is just in his prime now so it's very difficult to accurately place him. He has shown that HE can be the man and bring a team to the championship (did it by himself in Cleveland). He has shown with enough talent he can lead a team to win it all (Miami). He CAN take over a game (you're just bullshitting yourself if you don't agree).

His body, speed and size could be dominant in ANY era. Would have loved to have seen him in the late 80's/early 90s. Then again, I want to see him get multiple rings.

I agree that right now he's not the greatest, yet. Oscar, Wilt, MJ and Kareem all have a say in that. But if he finishes his career the way it has started then I easily think his name will be in the discussion if not in the lead.

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:09 pm 
NET Veteran

Screw that...The Microwave hands down better than the entitled self-crowned King...

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:42 pm 
* NET Radish *

SonicHawk wrote:
I don't know who is the greatest (I do know MJ was the most transcending) but I do know that LeBron (Please god stop spelling it LaBron) is one of the greatest already.

Lebron is just in his prime now so it's very difficult to accurately place him. He has shown that HE can be the man and bring a team to the championship (did it by himself in Cleveland). He has shown with enough talent he can lead a team to win it all (Miami). He CAN take over a game (you're just bullshitting yourself if you don't agree).

His body, speed and size could be dominant in ANY era. Would have loved to have seen him in the late 80's/early 90s. Then again, I want to see him get multiple rings.

I agree that right now he's not the greatest, yet. Oscar, Wilt, MJ and Kareem all have a say in that. But if he finishes his career the way it has started then I easily think his name will be in the discussion if not in the lead.

You must mean like Grant WistRom and Shawn Alexander. :D

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:37 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Bill Russell won even won a ring for one of his big toes, and did it while taking smoke breaks during games.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm 
NET Veteran

seahawks875 wrote:

Jordan averaged 20 pts. a game as a 40 year old the same year Lebron did as a teenager. Lebron has to keep up his pace for another decade to even be in the conversation. Jordan also three-peated..twice. You talk about James' 40 in game seven? Well, Jordan did that 4 times in A ROW in the finals against the Suns. The Bulls only lost 3 games in the entire playoffs in the 96 season, two of them to the Sonics in the finals where the best player on the floor was....Shawn Kemp.

How about Jordan taking a year and a half off, coming back mid season, then hanging a double nickel on the Nicks in the Garden on his 4th or 5th game back?

Larry, Magic, Ewing, Robinson, Barkley, Malone, Stockton, Payton, Drexler, Miller, Thomas.. How many Hall of Fame players is that? How many of them even got a sniff of a championship when Jordan was playing. Not many and those that did, did so when MJ was trying to play baseball.

James is a great player, but to say he is even close to the GOAT at this point, spits in the face of history.

Maybe one day.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:53 am 
* NET Radish *

I have always thought comparing different times players is really impossible.

Some want to use stats, others wins/losses, others use other things.

A good example is Gayle Sayers. His stats aren't over the top but when you saw him play it was like day and night with the other players. Many of you have heard me say how fast he was. If he got around the corner and got his shouldere squared up to the sideline it was rare as hell for anyone to catch him even when they had an angle on him. He just seemed to have a couple of more gears than other backs.

At this point in my life comparing all the backs I've seen and that's from Paul Hornung in the 60s to today I'd take Jim Brown of course, Gayle Sayers, O.J.,you know that guy from Detroit, and Adrian Peterson, cause he's the best right now as far as I'm concerned.

So comparing different round ball players is the same deal. I've seen Russell and all the others mentioned here and still think in the 4th quarter give me Jordan everytime.

But basketball has changed so much, in the early years it was the big men that ruled, clear up through Mr. Skyhook himself. But Michael ruled the floor during our time. And remember basketball used to be a team game. Now its alley oops, stuffs, 3 pointers. None of the teams can play the pass the ball 4 times Bob Knight taught. Everyone is trying so hard to be a big man its not fun to watch.

I have coffee a couple of times a week in a large sports bar here and its boring even watching the recap of the nights before bball games. Like I said, no team play at all except alley oops. Everything else is "watch me schred the defense and score all by myself. Watch me dunk, watch me shoot 3 pointers cause I can't run the floor."

Sorry kids, that's where it is.

Remember there was lots of defense played in Jordans day and lots of it him. There is no defense now, its just see me run.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:16 pm 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *

Bird shot the ball from behind the darn backboard! Nothing but net!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 pm 
NET Veteran

The Radish wrote:
you know that guy from Detroit,

Jerome Bettis? thats TREASON !!!!

Mike is still the best, no question about it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm 
* NET Radish *

m0ng0 wrote:
The Radish wrote:
you know that guy from Detroit,

Jerome Bettis? thats TREASON !!!!

Mike is still the best, no question about it.

Not sure but I think I meant Barry Sanders

:roll:

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]