Dwight Freeny

Giblien

Reaction score
Sorry if his has been discussed already, but I just heard that Dwight Freeny is going not going to be resigned by the colts. How much do you think the hawks should pursue him?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Due diligence with any available FA. Could be worth a look as a situational pass rusher, but not at the expense of the younger guys if they show improvement. I could see him brought in for camp and preseason.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Collie's brain is a bit scrambled still. I doubt he ever takes the field again (for any length of time at least). I think he will go into coaching once he heals up. He's a super intelligent guy, loves football, has great skills and natural talent. I can see him becoming a WR coach at the college level almost immediately if he so desired and working his way up from there. He has great form when catching the ball and running after the catch. His route running is also great.

I know firsthand that family members have asked him to walk away. Others have told him to keep playing as it was just a fluke thing that KEPT happening. As somebody who cares about the kid on a personal level, I would love nothing more than for him to go out on his own terms and put up massive numbers and retire after 10 seasons or so of high level play. But on another personal level, I get physically ill every time I see him laying on the field not moving and his eyes just making Austin not appear to be Austin. Concussions seem to be no big deal for most fans. Then you go watch your own child play in their first game of whatever sport they choose and try to be the cool and composed parent, but they may hit the field and be down, and your first instinct is to run out on the grass or court and carry them off. Growing old sucks. :)

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Of all the free agents Freeney is probably tops on my list for the Hawks. Sure he's already had 10 years in the league, seems to have lost a step and will demand big bucks. In his defense the Colts changed to a 3-4 and put him in the OLB spot.
He could be brought into Seattle as a DE/OLB and be a very versatile player. The guy may be smaller than an ideal DE but he's a proven 7-time probowler and remains quick.
He definitely could teach Irvin some tricks.
Finally, consider that he is the SAME age (32) as Reggie White when White was first traded to the Packers. He could have a similar HOF career path.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Freeney had declining sack totals in recent years but Colts generated little pass rush without him in the game. He was paid a base salary of 14 million and his cap hit was 19 million with the Colts last year. He'll likely demand much less in the right situation-->that situation probably being that he plays DE in a 4-3 defense for a championship contender.

zayden185

Reaction score
Could you imagine he and Irvin lined up on same side...

He'll go go the Pats

Same division..AFC...easy East division...15/20 snaps a game

hawkfan68

Reaction score
zayden185":1p2qbthp said:

He'll go go the Pats

The Colts and Pats don't play in the same division.

The Seahawks need to go hard at both Freeney and Osi. Get one of them to join. Either one will be an immense upgrade to the pass rush.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
zayden185":11xo8apx said:

He'll go go the Pats

I hope he realizes our D HAS MUCH MORE FUN than the Pats.
He could play 25 snaps easily but given that our D will be on the field less because we be creating turnovers I say 15-20 snaps sounds right.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think Freeney can come in and start right away at the LEO spot until Clemmons can get healthy, then switch him sides. He can mentor Irvin for a year or so; I can't think of anyone better to mentor an undersized DE than maybe the most productive undersized DE ever.

He's a good fit at the right price for sure, but I think he's going to be expensive. Per NFL Network, he's created a lot of buzz by being a FA; lots of teams are interested in him seeing last year as an anomoly in a defense where he was a bad fit.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I think highly of Freeney but Woodson is going to sign somewhere else, too many teams need a safety for him to sign up to be a backup here.