If you were Clowney would you sit out?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • pehawk wrote:I have a fairly strong primal instinct to care for my family. If a year from today I could have a sure 10M, or risk that amount by not sitting idle, I'd choose the 1st option. We're not talking an average ciscumstance, Clowney's ready now and will be top 2 pick, regardless.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think it's fair that essentially a monopolized industry without an antitrust exemption should be able to limit a guy like Clowney for the sole purpose of propping up another gigantic industry that's based on free labor.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• The NFL incentivizesizes such choices with the new CBA. You'll start to see similar occur with pros, soon. The new CBA structures players salaries eerily similar to the US economy, haves n have-nots.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• What are the contracts nowadays for top picks? All I know is they are different but I don't really know amounts.

As for the monopolized industries . . . . monopolies, generally, are bad. We allow them in some instances. What society needs to do a better job of discerning is when industries should be monopolized for the public good, when they shouldn't be monopolized for the public good, and when it just doesn't matter. Professional sports is the last one.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

• [/quote]

The reason I made reference to a 'classy' response is because you've assumed your own position to be one of authority and therefore anyone else's opinion or view is 'ludicrous'. Highlighting Luck's willingness to play as a comparable example is not 'ludicrous'. If you disagree, just disagree.

And again, we have no idea about Clowney's background and I for one am not going to make any assumptions. Whether Luck's father is loaded or not, the risks are the same for the individual. Everything I've seen about Andrew so far suggests to me this is a guy who would be determined to make his own living. He would've been the #1 pick had he sat out the entire year, enjoyed the big contract. Not everyone wants to live off 'daddy'. I don't know if Clowney needs the money or not. I've already stated my opinion - take out an insurance policy worth around $5m-7m. Then in a worst case scenario you are secure. Then get on the field and continue to help your current team prosper in the SEC.[/quote]

My mistake. My post was "unclassy" because I put myself in a position where I assumed my thought process was correct and I put myself in a position of "authority".

So, every time you make a post telling everybody else how wrong they are and that you have all of this evidence backing your viewpoint, then you're not just stating things to try to convince others of your own viewpoint and give it credibility, rather you are doing it in order to be classless? I had always assumed the best and figured that you posted the things you posted with such certainty and posted what are clearly opinions as FACTS when they are stated by you as taking a strong position because you felt strongly about an issue or your evaluation of a player's ability.

Now it seems that the truth is that when people do so, they are really just attempting to be classless. I will assume from here on out that you're attempting to put yourself above all of us, to be classless in your words, and to rule over us with your ultimate authority point of view on all things we discuss moving forward. Thanks for setting the record straight.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• English, kinda with Shark here. Pot meet kettle scenario. Itd be like me calling others out for being a "short douchebag".
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I love college football, so sitting out to protect your draft stock (your = player x,y,z) would just make you a pansy loser in my eyes. Sitting out to protect yourself is like soccer players flopping around on the field all day, bunch of spoiled prima donnas. Just do what Jake Locker did, when he returned for his senior year, he got a $1 million dollar insurance policy in case he got injured playing college ball.

College football is often better than the NFL, so it would be a disaster if it turned into the NBA/college basketball fiasco where everyone bolts for the NBA after their freshmen year.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• I totally agree with you MLO, as a fan of NCAA football I like the rule. It makes the games so much better. But, my issue is putting that love of the game above an individuals right to earn as much money as possible.

Clowney snaps a femur, or sustains 3 concussions next season, he'll lose at least $10M. Insurance is only applicable if he never plays again, it can't insure the losses sustained from dropping to a 3rd or 4th round pick. I don't think there's realistic understandings of how that type of insurance works in this thread.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• He only gets that if he NEVER plays football again or goes undrafted, IIRC. He'd have to break both legs and lose an arm to not get drafted.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:He only gets that if he NEVER plays football again or goes undrafted, IIRC. He'd have to break both legs and lose an arm to not get drafted.

That's a great idea for a movie right there, pe. Superstar QB has a tragic accident that sees him lose an arm. Determined to be a pro football player, he becomes a kicker and excels. A little twist on the classic "feel good story" type sports movie haha
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• South Carolina sophomore DE Jadeveon Clowney told local media members that he will play football during the 2013 season.
    "I used to play around with the boys (and say) I'm going to sit out, but ... I am going to go to school and play," Clowney said. The soon to be junior ran a 4.54 40-yd dash this winter, which is actually slower than he ran in high school, but we think the added weight had something to do with it. In fact, Clowney is up to 273 pounds from his 260 pound playing weight last year. He also took out a $5 million insurance policy in case of an injury.
    Source: Josh Kendall on Twitter
    Mar 7 - 7:14 PM
    godawg
    NET Starter

• NYCoug wrote:
    pehawk wrote:He only gets that if he NEVER plays football again or goes undrafted, IIRC. He'd have to break both legs and lose an arm to not get drafted.

That's a great idea for a movie right there, pe. Superstar QB has a tragic accident that sees him lose an arm. Determined to be a pro football player, he becomes a kicker and excels. A little twist on the classic "feel good story" type sports movie haha

Okay, we're on to some thing here. Somehow we have to incorporate Def Leppard into the title, for the obvious reasoning.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:
    pehawk wrote:He only gets that if he NEVER plays football again or goes undrafted, IIRC. He'd have to break both legs and lose an arm to not get drafted.

Okay, we're on to some thing here. Somehow we have to incorporate Def Leppard into the title, for the obvious reasoning.

I like where this is going. How bout, instead of becoming a kicker he instead becomes a referee. "Ref Leppard." He trades in throwing game-winning touchdown passes and banging cheap floozies for a striped shirt and a whistle. A man who loses everything and still decides that he wants to protect the integrity of the game. Despite his one arm, all players fear him. He makes Ed Hochuli look like a little pansy.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• "Ref Leppard" that'd look great on a hat. Perfect!

Our hero identifies a talented QB making big mistakes and in danger of repeating our hero's past mistakes. The QB will be played by Jack Black because it just makes too much sense. Obviously, our ref would take a liking to the QB, but to pass on some valuable life lessons.

The poster would be similar to the below examples, but with Jack Black in his football outfit and our ex-QB converted ref.

Why cant we just get Ed himself? Refs dont make much...so all we have to do is offer more money than those chisslers at the NFL.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:"Ref Leppard" that'd look great on a hat. Perfect!

Our hero identifies a talented QB making big mistakes and in danger of repeating our hero's past mistakes. The QB will be played by Jack Black because it just makes too much sense. Obviously, our ref would take a liking to the QB, but to pass on some valuable life lessons.

The poster would be similar to the below examples, but with Jack Black in his football outfit and our ex-QB converted ref.

Why cant we just get Ed himself? Refs dont make much...so all we have to do is offer more money than those chisslers at the NFL.

I don't know if Ed would be cool with amputating one of his arms. Can't ruin those guns he's got. Whoever we get has to be a REAL method actor. He'll have to play QB in the Arena League for a year prior to filming, then have his arm cut off, then go to ref school. Hmmmm.... Daniel Day Lewis? Nah, too old...

I like Jack Black as the QB. Starts off as sort of a Jim McMahon type before our hero sets him straight. Good work on the poster find, that'll work. Christian Bale as "Ref Leppard?" I think he's crazy enough to actually do it!
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information