KC GM at 2012 Combine ... loved RW

HawkHouse

Reaction score
Not sure if someone already referenced this but it just confirms what we already know about our QB ...

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
In KC Star, Chiefs GM John Dorsey said his interview of @dangerusswilson at 2012 combine was "the most impressive interview I've ever had."
about 1 hour ago

Hope we can find another gem or two (or three) in this years draft. I think our FO is doing an outstanding job.

Go Hawks !

drdiags

Reaction score
Some more stuff, this time Albert Breer

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
For those not making the connection, Dorsey was with the Packers last year. I'd also been told the Eagles would've taken Wilson over Foles.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Dorsey's words on Russell Wilson are interesting ... Seahawks took RW where they did b/c they had intel Eagles and Packers were after him.

Here is the article with the interview of the KC GM (former Packers FO member)

OP
OP
HawkHouse

HawkHouse

Reaction score
Found the article from the KC Star that Schefter referenced ...

“The most impressive interview I’ve ever had in the last 25 years of doing this? Russell Wilson,” said Dorsey, referring to the quarterback drafted by Seattle last year in the third round. “Wasn’t even close. You could feel that guy as a person, how strong he was, how intellectually deep he was, how mentally tough he was, that he had the charisma to lead other players. I always try to look at kids like I’m in the locker room and I’m a teammate. It was easy to see this guy leading a team.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/16/40 ... k=misearch

SharkHawk

Reaction score
And yet they didn't draft him and had a couple of opportunities at least to do so. Look at their QB situation now. It's an abysmal mess. This just goes to show you what "draft value groupthink" gets you. A team full of guys that are supposedly 'safe' and picked with the appropriate 'value' of the pick, but then are you truly assembling a team, or are you trying to just play it super safe so you don't get questioned by media and fans?

I questioned the way the Hawks drafted under Holmgren consistently, and his drafts consistently sucked. That Jerramy Stevens draft may have been the worst draft ever. But I always stood by the fact that Holmy didn't seem to care what others thought. I just don't think he was great at identifying talent on the defensive side of the ball. Now we have a front office and coach who will do what Holmgren did and do something wacky on draft day, but they are fully aware of what they are doing, they have multiple backup plans if it doesn't pan out, and they are more prepared than anybody else on draft day. That's obvious by last year's draft. They were willing to step into the fire and take a bunch of "bad value" picks and were happy about it, because they knew they had just beat the system and all of those who were too chicken to make those picks lost out. We got Irvin, Wagner, Wilson, and Turbin 1-4. That's going to go down in Hawks history as a major high point.

sutz

Reaction score
:13: What HE said. I'm just thankful that the guy didn't "love" RW enough to draft him.

:mrgreen:

Oh, and GO HAWKS!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Well heres the hindsight is 20/20 thing. Where were all these comments on draft day, or in pre season. They all shyed away for a reason, Gruden was the only one that stood tall about Wilson on draft day. Glad it was recognised as all the experts backpeddle and now coaching staffs coming out and making we wanted him and liked him but Seattle got there first three rounds later statements. Were on record saying Schnieder wanted to take him earlier as well round two.

I thnk it's more about trying to reclaim some credibility for missing so badly myself, especially with another draft on the horizon.

kearly

Reaction score
Random fun fact: John Dorsey and Bucky Brooks (from NFL.com / NFL Network) were both a part of Mike Holmgren's front office when he first came to Seattle in 1999. Dorsey was our director of player personnel and Brooks was a regional scout.

Winterfell

Reaction score
drdiags":zvjapymg said:
Shark, he was with Green Bay when he interviewed Wilson.

I was gonna say, at the time he was interviewing Wilson, Dorsey was Director of Football Operations or something for Green Bay.

Even if he loved Wilson, QB was basically the last need GB had to spend a draft pick on.

If he was on the Chiefs organization at the time, there would be a chance he'd have picked up Wilson before us.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pretty sure Schneider was going to get Wilson no matter where he was on anyone else's draft board. He waited until pick 75 because he knew Wilson wasn't going before then. If he knew someone was going to draft him earlier, he wouldn't have waited as long.

According to Wilson's college coach, Schneider visited Wisconsin something like five times just to see the kid and was constantly calling the coach to see who else was interested. No one was picking Wilson ahead of us unless he miraculously became a top-14 pick.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Regardless of where this guy was... what he says just basically shows the entire problem with NFL front offices when it comes to the draft. If this guy is saying how impressed he is, then I'm guessing Russ was equally impressive to at least 3 or 4 more GM's. What did they do? Nobody took him until the Hawks in the 3rd. NFL teams try so hard to be so smart, but continually make stupid decisions.

So Green Bay didn't draft him... they are set at QB. I sure saw a lot of teams that were royally screwed at QB last year and the year before. NFL teams are so desperate for QB's that they are using first round picks on guys that are almost 30 and guys who have played a season at QB, because they seem "safe". Weeden and Tannehill played well... but if you asked the Browns and Dolphins who they'd rather be building around right now, they may not admit it, but I am 99.9% certain they sure wish they had drafted Russell.

The guys who run these organizations do the same stupid crap over and over and over again, and then they get fired, and get hired by another organization as some lower level guy and work their way back up into a position of authority. I think my comments are more directed at the stupidity of NFL Groupthink and the good ol' boys network that has been in place for years upon years and continues to think and act that way. To sum up. Mel Kiper is no more right than any person on this board, and may even be wrong more often. Everybody who follows the "Kiper System" doesn't deserve to work in an NFL front office. Teams draft the same way over and over and over again and wonder why they still suck. Teams have top 10 picks for 10-15 years in a row and still suck. The definition of insanity... doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The majority of NFL front office personnel would qualify as insane by that definition.

godawg

Reaction score
Isn't Schneider the guy who didn't get executive of the year?

two dog

Reaction score
Right...Everybody was on him and he would have been next...NOW.

Read somewhere that Jon Schneider had to be "talked down" because he would
have taken him in the first if he thought it necessary. Word was that he didn't
intend to leave this draft without Wilson.

I believe Dorsey as well as some of the others. They just wanted to get him on
the cheap because, y'know, he was known to be kinda short. Conventional wisdom
as dispensed by the "experts" was that he could be had in the 4th or 5th.

I was pleased, as I think most Seahawk fans were, when we drafted him.
Chuckys' quarterback series before the draft had sold me on Wilson.
I don't think most of us, certainly not me, thought he would be THIS good. I doubt
even his most enthusiastic supporters thought it would be this fast.

I will bet that some GM was just getting ready to pull the trigger on J.R. Sweezy
when Seattle swooped in and.................

drdiags

Reaction score
The only counter I would pose about the general rigidity of NFL FO/Scouts view of player traits is that John Schneider didn't draft Wilson until the 75th pick, the same round the Packers, Skins and Eagles would have drafted him if given the chance.

So it isn't like the Seahawks are some super enlightened organization. They were just in position to pull the trigger quicker than a few other teams, such as the Packers, who were picking after the Seahawks. Now should the Packers have traded ahead of the Seahawks knowing they had eyes for Wilson? In hindsight, yes. I understand the need to point out the misses other teams had but no one has this down to a science.

Given Sherman's performance, was it genius to pick him in the 5th or folly for taking the risk of letting him sit out there longer than Durnham, who was selected in the 4th round? Or Moffitt, selected in the 3rd?

Plus the final piece of the puzzle is if Holmgren was still here, would any of these later round youngsters even see the field or be on the team? (I am sure Michael Bennett is more a Ruskell fumble, but Mike had some input on it one would hope).

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Disagree there Dr.. JS would have taken RW before the 3rd if PC would have let him. It was JS that had the intimate knowledge of RW and he wanted him real bad. I think PC now has more respect for JS scouting abilities.

One thing the still has me wondering is with all the up to date evaluation information available why is it teams get hung up on one issue about a player while at the same time taught his many other virtues? Teams rave about RW's talent and skill but let the 1" shorter than Drew Brees guide their judgement. Just etched in stone stupidity.

drdiags

Reaction score
True v1rotv2, it was stated that John wanted to select Wilson in the 2nd against Conventional Wisdom. I just wouldn't give other GMs too much grief for not selecting Wilson earlier. If Pete doesn't play him last year as thought, the miss other teams made wouldn't be as obvious. I think the thing that makes the Seahawks FO good is that the coaching staff will play the younger players if they deserve to play.

It just seemed as though prior staffs, Holmgren in particular, had an aversion to the mistakes young players make. Pete has enabled the FO by playing the players they identified for him and the coaches.

In total, it just feels good to see these guys get over the hump where I would be worried about them getting run out of town. Up until mid-season there were those outside and inside the fan base that thought Pete would be on the hot seat. Really good to not have to listen to that blather on the Sports dial or in the paper, blogs or fan forums. We had a few 9ers fans trying to stoke that fire this year. I really hope we don't have to have that discussion for a long time.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
drdiags":m3iyrbdo said:
So it isn't like the Seahawks are some super enlightened organization. They were just in position to pull the trigger quicker than a few other teams, such as the Packers, who were picking after the Seahawks. Now should the Packers have traded ahead of the Seahawks knowing they had eyes for Wilson? In hindsight, yes. I understand the need to point out the misses other teams had but no one has this down to a science.

You know what? I think this was the real value of the team signing Flynn. :mrgreen:

I'd be willing to bet that there were plenty of teams who didn't expect the Seahawks to take a QB because of the Flynn signing, and therefore didn't feel the need to jump ahead of them in the 3rd to grab Wilson.

mikeak

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3hgkyljx said:
Pretty sure Schneider was going to get Wilson no matter where he was on anyone else's draft board. He waited until pick 75 because he knew Wilson wasn't going before then. If he knew someone was going to draft him earlier, he wouldn't have waited as long.

According to Wilson's college coach, Schneider visited Wisconsin something like five times just to see the kid and was constantly calling the coach to see who else was interested. No one was picking Wilson ahead of us unless he miraculously became a top-14 pick.

Pretty sure the Eagles thought the same thing and ooops didn't work. There are no guarantees - you can't say Schneider was going to get him before anyone else. There is the belief and hope and logical thinking but there is no guarantee when you let a guy slip to the 3rd round........

lukerguy

Reaction score
KC picked 74th...one pick ahead of RW's eventual draft position. Obviously they didn't love him enough to look past his height.