Wagner as WLB

gmor

Reaction score
bellingerga":3enephy1 said:
Why move him from the spot he did extroardinarily well at, for a Rookie. He should have been rookie of the year IMO, and he's only going to get better.

You don't fix something that's not broken. Just leave him there and draft a WLB

Exactly. It's a big risk to have 2/3 of your linebackers in new situations.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Wow a lot of smart a$$ responses for a fairly reasonable out of the box idea. Moving Lynch, Wilson, Sherman is ridiculous and obviously you don't have any insight to this topic, and neither does all the can't wait for the season, so you post a thoughtless answer and make yourself look silly.

So it seems that Kearly responded with the closest to what I was actually looking for by noticing this draft is stronger at WLB than MLB and that we should be able to fill the WLB easily. But if we did fall in love with a MLB prospect maybe one who is not as athletic but more of a leader type, I don't think it would hurt to have KJ, Wagner and a new MLB know all the calls and be versatile enough to play multiple positions. We have had a ton of success starting rookie MLB's so I would not be too worried.

Anyways I think this is more of an actual possibility, not saying it is a gretest idea, but if anyone ont he team is switching positions Wagner to WLB would be one of the most seamless.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Wenhawk":22g4b6ab said:
Wow a lot of smart a$$ responses for a fairly reasonable out of the box idea. Moving Lynch, Wilson, Sherman is ridiculous and obviously you don't have any insight to this topic, and neither does all the can't wait for the season, so you post a thoughtless answer and make yourself look silly.

So it seems that Kearly responded with the closest to what I was actually looking for by noticing this draft is stronger at WLB than MLB and that we should be able to fill the WLB easily. But if we did fall in love with a MLB prospect maybe one who is not as athletic but more of a leader type, I don't think it would hurt to have KJ, Wagner and a new MLB know all the calls and be versatile enough to play multiple positions. We have had a ton of success starting rookie MLB's so I would not be too worried.

Anyways I think this is more of an actual possibility, not saying it is a gretest idea, but if anyone ont he team is switching positions Wagner to WLB would be one of the most seamless.

Some of the responses you have gotten are most likely because this has been brought on but with other players since the season has ended not because the topic is stupid. Earl Thomas as a lot cb, Kam as a WLB, Sherman as a WR (situationallly), Bruce Irvin as OLB, Big Red back to DT, Browner as a Safety... etc

As for the idea, I'd like to keep Wagner right where he is dude played a hell of a season and will get better in his second year, I think it would be easier to find a good Will lb than a mlb as good as Wagner in the draft.

chris98251

Reaction score

Many think your idea is also silly, smart ass maybe a MLB directing the defense that was successful in his first season with the rankings we had he was key. We can find a WLB that has better hips and can cover, we seem to pick them up pretty regular in the draft.
Condesending tones of nobody has any insight that posted except yourself is only going to bring more backlash as well. Glad your so elite in you assessments though, us minions of stupidity can sit back and watch you educate us.

I also remember you blasting many peoples ideas over the years, smart ass or not you get what you give, deal with it quit whining about yourself being picked on my the big blue meanies.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":92o66b1m said:

Many think your idea is also silly, smart ass maybe a MLB directing the defense that was successful in his first season with the rankings we had he was key. We can find a WLB that has better hips and can cover, we seem to pick them up pretty regular in the draft.
Condesending tones of nobody has any insight that posted except yourself is only going to bring more backlash as well. Glad your so elite in you assessments though, us minions of stupidity can sit back and watch you educate us.

I also remember you blasting many peoples ideas over the years, smart ass or not you get what you give, deal with it quit whining about yourself being picked on my the big blue meanies.

Don't feel picked on just think completely dismissing the idea and making it a joke is a little unfair, I figured that people could give an actual analysis for pro's and cons and considering Wagner is a LB moving from one LB spot to another is not nearly as drastic as moving a CB to WR or any of the other ideas. Moving Red back to DT can be argued but is not something worth laughing at it is not likely but could happen.

Wagner at WLB shouldn't be out of the question but I guess most feel it is. And I am not claiming to have tons of knowledge I can educate people with, I posted this to gain knowledge as to how he could fit at WLB and besides the obvious don't mess with a good thing argument expected someone to try and convince me he couldn't play that position.

As it stands it seems the consensus is Wagner is firmly entrenched at MLB, yet Keechley who won DROY started at OLB and moved inside and his production was exceptional at both positions. I feel like the position is somewhat interchangeable depending on team personel styles and was mostly intrigued with drafting Bostic out of Florida in the 4th/5th area, if he could start at MLB and play well and WAgner could still excell as a WLB it seems like it would be a good move allowing us to use our other early picks on DT/DE/TE/WR.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wenhawk":32ehvmgc said:
chris98251":32ehvmgc said:

Don't feel picked on just think completely dismissing the idea and making it a joke is a little unfair, I figured that people could give an actual analysis for pro's and cons and considering Wagner is a LB moving from one LB spot to another is not nearly as drastic as moving a CB to WR or any of the other ideas. Moving Red back to DT can be argued but is not something worth laughing at it is not likely but could happen.

Wagner at WLB shouldn't be out of the question but I guess most feel it is. And I am not claiming to have tons of knowledge I can educate people with, I posted this to gain knowledge as to how he could fit at WLB and besides the obvious don't mess with a good thing argument expected someone to try and convince me he couldn't play that position.

As it stands it seems the consensus is Wagner is firmly entrenched at MLB, yet Keechley who won DROY started at OLB and moved inside and his production was exceptional at both positions. I feel like the position is somewhat interchangeable depending on team personel styles and was mostly intrigued with drafting Bostic out of Florida in the 4th/5th area, if he could start at MLB and play well and WAgner could still excell as a WLB it seems like it would be a good move allowing us to use our other early picks on DT/DE/TE/WR.

Would you move Wilson to RB, he has size and speed. Wagner is the defensive QB, Wright called plays till Wagner got up to speed true but you need coverage skills to play outside as well. Thats where Wagner is lacking, speed does not mean coverage ability. He has great range and attack speed and can get thru blocks. Seen it and read about his lack of coverage abilitys. You have a gem in the middle, easier to find a coverage guy outside. In a pinch due to injury you force issues and either Wright or Wagner could play Middle, but we would miss him there and notice it.

pinksheets

Reaction score
You've left the realm of reasonable comparisons. Wagner did not play like Patrick Willis last year, it's entirely possible we could find improvement at MLB or similar play at MLB with Wagner providing the best play at WLB.

Wagner has not proven elite at MLB, he had a really good rookie season, but he's not untouchable, and moving him over one spot is not a night and day change. I'm not saying its likely, but you guys are just spewing at the mouth with these stupid comparisons of moving Kam to FB, Okung to FS, and Wilson to hot dog vendor. Let's get some perspective.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3ax2z58e said:
I get Wagner was successful at MLB and why change a good thing right, but i was just thinking if we can get an equivilant at MLB easier than an WLB. I figure Wagz could play WLB. It migth cost us a 2nd to get a starting WLB but if we could get a starting MLB in the 3rd would that be worth it?

hogwash! WILL LBers aren't rare. And it's not a higher priority position over a MLB. There's is no incentive for doing this. We found our starting SAM in the 4th. You can find starters in any round if you know what your doing. Thankfully PC and JS know what they are doing and are very good at projecting the abilties draftees.

Wagner's more valuable at the MIKE where he stays on the field for 3 downs. IN the nickle package the WILL most likely comes off the field and KJ and Bobby are the 2 Lbers.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yea, No need to overthink this.
There is no guarantee that a higher pick player in this draft will excel in Seattle as well as Bobby did at the Mike spot.
Shifting Bobby to OLB to create more pass rush opportunity looks good on paper but leaves more questions unanswered.
Only sure thing is that Bobby did his job exceptionally as a rookie at MLB. Who's to say we can't ask Wagner to blitz more from the Mike this year if that's your main objective.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Why would a team that has glaring needs at DE and DT and WR spend a high draft pick at a position, where they have an almost rookie of the year? That really doesn't make any sense. I assume here that the type of MLB we are talking about would need to be selected in one of the first two rounds.
Furthermore, this mean, we would be passing on some excellent DT/DE or WR to select a guy, who might or might NOT even be better than what we already have. How does that help this team, honestly ???
Let's assume for a minute that Wagner had some weaknesses against the run. Should we just give up on him after his first year? Can't we see how he can improve /coached up on those weaknesses? I have never seen a player who has NO weaknesses after his rookie year.
Someone brought up the example of Luke Kuechly ... well, Luke was competing for the MLB position with Thomas Davis, who came from his third ACL surgery in as many years and wasn't really ready. Anyone who watched TD play knew he wasn't the same as prior to his injury. It was just a logical step to move Luke there.
Wagner should be coached to improve on his "weaknesses". We should spend our high draft picks on improving areas of glaring weaknesses.

Jville

Reaction score
Wenhawk":98glm5q9 said:
Before the season I thought I remembered Pete talking about how they were going to see how Wagner does at MLB, but also thought he could play on the outside. Consider Wagner does have a ton of speed I think he could handle WLB, he seemed to have some success rushing the passer so maybe he'd get more opportunities on the outside. Does anyone else see us potentially moving Wagner outside and drafting a new MLB if the value is there? Or is this just a crazy idea?

They do like to have players who can play more than one position. But in the case of Wagner, I have a reservation about such a move beyond building on top of last years development at MLB.

I place a lot of value on a signal caller at middle linebacker that can read lips when it becomes too loud for a helmet head set. We all know how impossible it becomes to hear in a Seahawk game in Seattle when the defense is on the field.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'm not even sure they expected Wagner to be the MLB when they drafted him. It might seem like a ridiculous move to some posters here, but those guys are going to have to learn that "ridiculous" just happens to be the current regime's specialty.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I like Wagner at Middle there's stronger Will's in the draft in my opinion. Better in coverage and just as quick. If the Hawks went looking for MLBs in this draft I would be scared to death they'd actually see something in the Manti Teo hype/bust/circus and draft him. It's not often I would elect to miss Seahawk games but that Nothing Dame project gives me an ice cream headache everytime I so much as hear his name.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I'm not going to ridicule the original poster but I think Wagner belongs where he is, one of the reasons they brought him in was to get more athletic at MLB, Hawthorne was really solid against the run but we saw what happened when we added a better athlete at the position.

His speed at his position is huge, I think he's one of the most athletic MLB's in the league, I don't know if that would be the case at WIL. We've seen this team struggle to find a MLB (remember the days or Orlando Huff, Solomon Bates and Niko Koutevides?) I say leave him where he's at and see if he gets better in year 2.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Wagner didn't always have good gap discipline against the run. It got better through the year, but he's still learning, thus the "weak against the run" comments. He's also working on the zone coverage, but he was better in pass coverage towards the end of the year.

Saying Wagner was a runner up for DROY so he has to be good against the run is incorrect. It's like saying Keuchly was the best cantidate for DROY based upon him leading the NFL in tackles. He had a ton of tackles, but not a lot of impact plays; very few TFL, interceptions and FF's. Sure, he earned it with a ton of tackles, but many of them were 5 yards or more downfield.

Wagner had a good year, but there could be better MLB's. Lofa was much more instinctive than Wagner is; Wagner just has much better athleticism. It's not a poor suggestion at all (the OP that is), Wagner's skill set seems suited to the outside, but he's good inside as well. It would really depend on what the coaching staff felt comfortable with and how the draft fell to us. The nice thing is that we have versatility; if we get a really strong MLB that falls to us, we can slide Bobby. If we find the elite WLB prospect, Bobby is only going to get better where he's at. I don't see it hurting us either way.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Wagner didn't always have good gap discipline against the run. It got better through the year, but he's still learning, thus the "weak against the run" comments. He's also working on the zone coverage, but he was better in pass coverage towards the end of the year.

Saying Wagner was a runner up for DROY so he has to be good against the run is incorrect. It's like saying Keuchly was the best cantidate for DROY based upon him leading the NFL in tackles. He had a ton of tackles, but not a lot of impact plays; very few TFL, interceptions and FF's. Sure, he earned it with a ton of tackles, but many of them were 5 yards or more downfield.

Wagner had a good year, but there could be better MLB's. Lofa was much more instinctive than Wagner is; Wagner just has much better athleticism. It's not a poor suggestion at all (the OP that is), Wagner's skill set seems suited to the outside, but he's good inside as well. It would really depend on what the coaching staff felt comfortable with and how the draft fell to us. The nice thing is that we have versatility; if we get a really strong MLB that falls to us, we can slide Bobby. If we find the elite WLB prospect, Bobby is only going to get better where he's at. I don't see it hurting us either way.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think moving Wagner to WLB is legit. I still don't trust his run gapping instincts. And his speed is easy to project.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
pinksheets":18p2tn7q said:
You've left the realm of reasonable comparisons. Wagner did not play like Patrick Willis last year, it's entirely possible we could find improvement at MLB or similar play at MLB with Wagner providing the best play at WLB.

Wagner has not proven elite at MLB, he had a really good rookie season, but he's not untouchable, and moving him over one spot is not a night and day change. I'm not saying its likely, but you guys are just spewing at the mouth with these stupid comparisons of moving Kam to FB, Okung to FS, and Wilson to hot dog vendor. Let's get some perspective.

The problem with this entire scenario, is you guys are grasping at what PC said before Wagner even participated in OTA's/ minicamps. There is no evidence that Wagner would be more successful at the WILL spot over what he did at MIKE this past year. It's just wishful thinking.

AT MIKE we have a year's worth of data. Whereas at WILL You have none. Are you really willing to gamble that he'll be just as effective? Infact he's have to be appreciably MORE effective at WILL for the move to really pay off. At the same time we'd trying to get another rookie to perform at the same level that he did last year. What is the odds that both Wagner can play at a higher level AND you find a MLB who played just as well. Those are not good odds.

The other thing you have to factor in is -- how valuable is the WILL position in this defense? Usually Wagner and Wright stay on the field for nickle situations and we bring Trufaunt on. Both of those guys have gained invaluable experience in nickle situations this year.
IF you get a new MLB you'd be throwing that experience out the window as Wagner would be coming off the field. What sense does that make- Remember only 1 player get's the headset in their helmet. So it would be impractical to have Wagner play WILL and then have Wagner stay on for Nickle situations (having the new Mike come off the field).

IMO it's much easier to draft a WILL and allow Wright and Wagner continue to develop @ their respective positions.

In short, if you leave Wagner, continuity will benefit these guys and we should see a higher level of player, IF you move him, you insert not just 1 quesiton mark, all of a sudden the Lbing corps is an Unknown commodity with 2 new starters.

razor150

Reaction score
Didn't Wagner when asked say he was more comfortable and saw himself more as an outside lb than a mlb? If the right player fell I can easily see him being moved to the outside. It would take the right player though, and I doubt the front office would do it if it wasn't the right player.

Latest posts