Steadman Bailey is fantastic

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Top two receivers in this draft:

#1 DeAndre Hopkins
#2 Steadman Bailey

Wow... I underestimated this guy.

Just watched three games of tape where he doesn't even come close to dropping a ball, despite getting 30+ targets. Makes difficult catches in traffic, has the speed to break down field, plays above his 5-10-188lbs frame. Engaging and humble personality based on interviews.

People will compare him to Golden Tate for the size, but in reality he is much, much more polished and technically accomplished than Tate was at Notre Dame. You don't see many receivers fake the crap out of double coverage by appearing to give up on a deep route, only to then fly back into 5th gear to catch a downfield bomb for a touchdown.

I don't care about his size, if he's there in round two I'm drafting him and feeling very, very, very smug about it.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Very interesting, I saw Irvin posting about him on Twitter a few months back about how Steadman was going to be a 1st round pick. Haven't seen much but you convinced me so I will find some highlights.

seahawks875

Reaction score
Just watched his tape vs Marshall, Baylor and Texas, and he is very good, I'm don't know why tavon Austin is rated is projected to go higher than stedman bailey right now. Bailey has great hands, runs good routes and has breakaway speed, he would be a great 2nd round pick I would even take him round 1.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Bailey is insanely talented. I watched quite a few WVU games last season, mostly because of the Geno Smith hype and Bailey was all over the place. He is a pure playmaker.

Austin is also damn good, but I think Bailey is better. I'd love a player like that on the Hawks.

114 catches, 1622 yds, 14.2 ypc and 25 TDs is a monster season.

skater18000

Reaction score
There is something to be said for the seahawks and their love for under 6 foot WR's. That being said, I love this guy dearly and find him somewhat simaler to what Tate and Baldwin do, But do you want the shortest QB in the leauge throwing to the shortest group of WR's in the league. I really love the idea of Bailey at 57, but it might be a problem for RW having tons of short WR's... He seems to find Miller just fine (6'5). He misses Sidney some times (6'4) and probably has hard time finding Tate and baldwin. Not saying it's totaly bad to bring in bailey, but it may not bring the same bennefit that a big dude would. Pete Carroll probably has this in mind.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I've been on the Steadman Bailey bandwagon for a long time now, welcome aboard. Any discussion about Bailey has to start with Bailey's 25 TD's which was by far - tops in the NCAA, the next player down that list is DeAndre Hopkins (82 catches for 1405 yards) with 18 TD's, third on that list are two players tied with 14-TD's.

25-TD's is 150 points people, how many receivers score like that? Last year Bailey had 4 - 100+ yard, 2 - 200+ yard and 1 - 300+ yard games, while averaging about 2 TD's per game.

The evaluation below says that Bailey is "slippery", I'd have to very much agree with that. Austin had 114 catches for 1289 yards, and 12-TD's as a receiver which is 11.3 yards per catch while Bailey had 114 catches for 1622 yards, and 25-TD's as a receiver which is 14.2 yards per catch. This 2 yard per catch difference is in spite of Austins hyped speed advantage. In the W. Virginia offense, Austin was known as "Mr inside" and Bailey was known as "Mr outside", this again in spite of Austin's great speed.

I don't care if Steadman Bailey isn't 6-5 in height, he's a scoring playmaker that can really get open & I hope the Seahawks draft him in the 2-nd round. Please, I don't want to see this kid wearing a FortyWhiner uniform.

Stats link: http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... Touchdowns
evaluation/video: http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/1/29/3 ... man-bailey

:49ersmall:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Boy, I don't know about all this. Stedman Bailey is a player, I'll agree... but, remember that it's much easier to get separation in the collegiate ranks than in the Pros. I am a fan of Tavon Austin... he reminds me of "sweetness." Either guy can potentially add something electric to an offense... but, I would still prefer Austin to Bailey (though Stedman is a pretty cool name ; ) Couldn't it be that because Austin is such a great player that it opens things up for Bailey? Of course. (I grant that it could go the other way as well... and it did. But, I would say that the attention to Austin by opposing Defenses probably benefited Bailey more rather than Austin. No matter what they did with Austin... he came through BIG TIME for them. Austin can do so much for a team and plays a lot tougher than his size might indicate. I sort of get the feeling about Austin that teams that pass on him will regret it like they regretted passing on... say a Randy Moss. Not comparing anything about them as players in terms of size or maturity - but, just (in terms of draft value) that teams that pass on Austin are going to look back to this draft and have a hard time justifying why they took, for example, a non-elite DT or reached for a DE with upside endeavoring to upgrade positions of need while passing on sheer elite talent / BPA at the time regardless of position. That comes back to bite teams - especially as "needs" change.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well size helps in other aspects as far as blocking etc, production is paramount but there is none if the ball doesn't get to that player. Steadman sounds like a natural receiver with great moves, Austin is a work in progress much like Tate, what position does he play RB or WR. I would go with a polished guy over a project. You could hit or miss on project, minimum you have to use a couple years to get him developed. Dividends right away from the guy that already has the tools.

kearly

Reaction score
I can see why you like him Rob, Bailey is pretty similar to Markus Wheaton. Similar size, speed, smoothness. Both are clutch performers.

Something keeps me from putting a 1st round sticker on Bailey, I'm not sure what it is. But here is what I do like about him- he just makes it look easy. With all due respect to Baldwin and Tate- some of their best plays last year were very close to not being big plays at all. Baldwin in particular has a knack for making catches look difficult, and while Tate is growing into a terrific WR, there is still a hint of awkwardness left over. Rice and Miller are the only targets we have that I feel are true professionals at their craft. Bailey already looks like one, and that's not terribly common coming out of college.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Bailey or Wheaton lasted until round 3. It's going to be a very competitive year at WR and you are going to see tremendous quality at WR in rounds 2-4 this year. Wouldn't that be something if our draft started off as Short-Greene-Bailey? Yes please.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":1f9pr10e said:
I can see why you like him Rob, Bailey is pretty similar to Markus Wheaton. Similar size, speed, smoothness. Both are clutch performers.

Something keeps me from putting a 1st round sticker on Bailey, I'm not sure what it is. But here is what I do like about him- he just makes it look easy. With all due respect to Baldwin and Tate- some of their best plays last year were very close to not being big plays at all. Baldwin in particular has a knack for making catches look difficult, and while Tate is growing into a terrific WR, there is still a hint of awkwardness left over. Rice and Miller are the only targets we have that I feel are true professionals at their craft. Bailey already looks like one, and that's not terribly common coming out of college.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Bailey or Wheaton lasted until round 3. It's going to be a very competitive year at WR and you are going to see tremendous quality at WR in rounds 2-4 this year. Wouldn't that be something if our draft started off as Short-Greene-Bailey? Yes please.

If we were able to go Short-Greene-Bailey, I think I'd sh*t myself. Twice.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'll do some work on Bailey, but color me skeptical when a name comes out of no where into first round consideration. Either the media is buying the hype, or they totally blew it the last 4 months.

aawolf

Reaction score
Looking at Bailey, I would love to see the Hawks get him if he fell to round 3 and we hadn't already drafted Hopkins. He reminds me of Russel Wilson in that he had supreme success in college, yet his "measurables" get in the way of him being a top pick. I'm on board. Heck, if we got him in round 2, I wouldn't be dissapointed.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is projecting him in the 1st round, but in a draft like this, you will see some projected 2nd and projected 3rds going much earlier than expected.

McGruff

Reaction score
Watched a few clips of games.maybe half a dozen games represented.

Good . . . Catches the ball really well in traffic and on contested balls. Surprisingly strong upper body for a small receiver. Has great hands overall. Runs good routes across the whole route tree, and does a great job selling fakes and lulling DB's to sleep. Seems like he reads the field like a QB, adjusting routes appropriately depending on the depth of coverage. He's a solid all around receiver who plays with his head. Hill not explosive in the open field, he plays strong and slips a lot of tackles.

Bad . . . Isn't sudden either before or after the catch. Doesn't have moves like Austin. Physical traits a not first round traits. Smaller receiver who isn't particularly shifty.

he actually reminds of a more athletic version of Bobby Engram or maybe A poor mans Roddy White. Very cerebral and crafty with great awareness and ability to make the tough catch in traffic.