Mike Salk headed back to Boston... huge bummer

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Pete Carroll just tweeted that Mike Salk is headed back to Boston. I have not heard Salk announce this but I am assuming he did. Google shows several articles pointing to him going to some Boston radio station.

This is a big loss for Seahawks fans IMO... he was the best radio guy in town and I'm disappointed I won't be able to get podcasts of him talking Seahawks any more.

(In case anyone thinks this is sarcastic - it's not)
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• That is a shame. I don't always agree with him, but Brock and Salk was easily my favorite local radio sports show. Hopefully Brock will get someone good to work with.

And how about we give Brock the freaking morning show on 710? Does anyone in Seattle actually enjoy Mike and Mike? I hate having only 1 option for local sports on my drive to work.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• Thats too bad. At least Huard is capable of taking over the show and I'm sure he will bring in a good co-host.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• How epic would Huard/Hasselbeck be?
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• Damn, I was hoping it was Hugh or Softy.....or both.

Listening to Hugh Millen break down football is like radio narcolepsy.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Happy Day! Happy Day! :0190l: :0190l:
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• I'm just glad it's not Brock that's leaving.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• It's the guys home town so good for him. Brock is ok but not strong enough by himself. I doubt they will have any trouble getting someone. I just hope they don't get a Mitch type ... I cannot stand him
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• danny o neil would be good
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

• That sucks. I didn't like him at first but now he's one of my favorites. I will take him over pretty much anyone on KJR. Elise is a mess, softie/gas may as well combine into one ball of suck, mitch is bad.

I've been enjoying listening to Danny O'neil and Dave Wyman with jim more on 710 but it's a much more home-town local type show that doesn't get many big names.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I'd definitely like to see Danny O'Neil move up to that slot.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Mike Salk is a fantastic broadcaster. Brock and Salk has been without doubt the best show for Seahawks fans over the last couple of years, a must-listen. No agenda's. No threats to eat a microphone or references to 'teachers pets'. Just great radio that fans can relate to. Kudos to Mike for the new gig, he will be sorely missed.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Salk carries that show, surprised to see such high praise of Brock. I like Brock doing play by play for college games, but just don't think he fits in this format.

They need to add somebody with some attitude and cynicism like Salk to balance milktoast Brock if they decide to keep him on.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Salk carries the show but Brock is an important part of it. He's hugh millen plus a personality minus getting butthurt easily like a girl if anyone disagrees or jokes around with him and the good sense to not ramble on trying to sound smart about things nobody cares about.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I don't know, he seems like a whining bish quite a bit when he talks about the Hawks. On the other hand, sometimes he seems like a huge homer. Oh well, I can't get worked up about a radio guy leaving, plenty of other ppl who can fill his spot. Not that I don't think he's good, he's much better than some of the locals (softy, groz etc.)
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'd prefer a former player i'd take Wyman over Salk anyday.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• SNDavidson wrote:How epic would Huard/Hasselbeck be?

This x1000.

Somebody make this happen!
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Aw man... that sucks. I figured it was on it's way though hearing Salk fill in for Mike Hill on the national show. He's sounded really good on there. Definately a loss for Seattle radio and Seahawks fans. But hey... at least we'll have somebody pumping our tires on the biased east coast.

I don't know who they'll replace him with. Hopefully it's not some delusional wind bag like The Groz or "The Go To Guy" or someone stupid like that. Danny O'Neil would probably be a good choice. Wassel wouldn't be bad, but he needs a little more venom in his voice. he sounds to wishy-washy sometimes...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Huge bummer, Salk is easily the best radio guy in town. Don't know how they'll replace him.
    Season Ticket Holder, Section 127 - Row I

Video of Player Intros from my seats, Jags game 2009.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nddIoamjN08
    ExperienceJones
    NET Rookie

• They just need someone who can think with an open mind and use logic. Salk didn't start whining when Russell Wilson got the job, he doesn't revert to predictable, conventional opinions. I liked that he was a bit of a homer sometimes, but was also prepared to be critical when he needed to be.

And one other thing - his interviews with Pete Carroll were BY FAR the best. Nobody else gets close to interviewing Carroll one-on-one the way Salk did. He gets it. This is going to be a big loss.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• :thirishdrinkers: Always disliked Salk, this is fantastic news.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Always disliked Salk, this is fantastic news.

What a surprise. :sarcasm_off:
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Man...this stinks, the Brock and Salk show was amazing. Really gonna miss Salk on there.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• That sucks. We just got 710espn in TriCities a little while ago.

Loved Brock and Salk talking up my Hawks.

Soon, Salk will have Baston turning away from Buttchin and accepting Russell Wilson as the best QB evah.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• It was the only show I really listened to on a regular basis. Brock and Salk worked well off of each other and it's going to be tough to replace that dynamic.

Somebody like Wyman would be terrible, he would be far too much like Brock and he's way too old school imo. It's too bad, all of the sports radio hosts left all have the same basic generic opinions on most topics now.

Mitch has good interviews on occasion, but I don't care for him otherwise.
    Happybelly
    NET Practice Squad

• Gutted. Congrats to Mike on the new job. I really hope they can find a good replacement. Of the guys at the station already I like Wassell best, but he's not as good as Salk yet.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:
    SNDavidson wrote:How epic would Huard/Hasselbeck be?

This x1000.

Could the station afford Matt Hasslebeck? Would Matt desire the "grind" of a daily show?
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Hawk Strap wrote:That sucks. We just got 710espn in TriCities a little while ago.

Loved Brock and Salk talking up my Hawks.

Soon, Salk will have Baston turning away from Buttchin and accepting Russell Wilson as the best QB evah.

Yah I live in Richland and have been listening to the Brock and Salk podcast for awhile and now on 1340 am, so I am really bummed because he was an excellent broadcaster.
    sliv
    NET Rookie

• I won't miss him talking down to any caller that doesn't agree with his point of view, and making them sound like they are 4 years old.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Who's Mike Salk?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• SoulfishHawk wrote:I won't miss him talking down to any caller that doesn't agree with his point of view, and making them sound like they are 4 years old.

Every time I have been on he has been more than respectful.
    I'll miss him. They have to get someone who has a little bite like him. You can't have a pushover and Brock.
    "When is the NFL going to start fining receivers for running routes across KAM’S MIDDLE?!?!"
    -bpup33
    Sprfunk
    NET Veteran

• Bigpumpkin wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:
    SNDavidson wrote:How epic would Huard/Hasselbeck be?

This x1000.

Could the station afford Matt Hasslebeck? Would Matt desire the "grind" of a daily show?

Probably unrealistic, Matt is probably headed to cable tv when he's done. I would love it if they worked together on air though, would be awesome every single day.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• To each his own I guess. He's good, just not as great as he seems to be made to be. I do agree with you that it's good to have someone who tells it like it is. Although his tone was pretty annoying at times. Oh well, I'm sure he'll do well at his new gig. Now if they were getting rid of the the Groz... now THAT would be worth celebrating. He's pitiful
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• How bout Damon and Brock?
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• That'd actually make listening to Elise in the morning on KJR palatable.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Happypuppy wrote:It's the guys home town so good for him. Brock is ok but not strong enough by himself. I doubt they will have any trouble getting someone. I just hope they don't get a Mitch type ... I cannot stand him

I normally don't like Mitch, but I WILL give him props for the 'Douche Bag Harbaugh Style' vid.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• HawKnPeppa wrote:
    Happypuppy wrote:It's the guys home town so good for him. Brock is ok but not strong enough by himself. I doubt they will have any trouble getting someone. I just hope they don't get a Mitch type ... I cannot stand him

I normally don't like Mitch, but I WILL give him props for the 'Douche Bag Harbaugh Style' vid.

Yes, forgot that! It was hilarious ...
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Never been a fan. I prefer my local radio to be local.

Not a fan of transplants. I like mitch but that took years for that to happen. Plus he has talent.

He can take his act back to Boston. Thanks for using us as a stepping stone.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Well that sucks, they really were the best show in town. Gonna be kind of tough to find someone to mix with Huard like that again if they stick with him.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Tech Worlds wrote:Never been a fan. I prefer my local radio to be local.

Not a fan of transplants. I like mitch but that took years for that to happen. Plus he has talent.

He can take his act back to Boston. Thanks for using us as a stepping stone.

So Softy, then? I'll talk Salk. May have been a transplant, but his approach wasn't phony or anything. Only guy on Seattle sports radio, locally, that had that major market/national level talent/appeal.

I get what you're saying. I like the sincerity of a homer, but I don't think there was more interesting discussion of Seattle sports then when Salk was on the radio. The rest of our shows aren't really any better than barstool chatter.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Salk was pretty good. He really helped get Brock comfortable behind the mic.
    Salks national fill in spots were totally different than the Brock and Salk show.
    Less teasers and more straight forward.

I've always been a Softy listener though. You can read between the lines with him and find a ton of info.
    C'mon KJR, get Softy back in to the breaking news/late morning slot!

I really cant stand Elise and Jerry.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

• KJR moved Softy out of the morning to try to free up their only strong show from competing with Brock and Salk, now Brock and Salk is on its way out. They conceded the morning by putting Elise in that slot and a few weeks later the morning is ripe for the taking. I love KJR for being super local, but they really get beat management wise by 710 all of the time.

Then again, I'd rather listen to Jason Puckett(he ain't bad) than anything on 710 besides Brock and Salk, so who knows what is going to happen now. KJR is looking stronger by the minute.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Hmmmm, I really enjoy their show, bummed a bit.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Put me down in the bummed column.
    I always knew he was a transplant, but aside from the accent (and attitude) you couldn't tell. Has a way of doing fun, engaging sports analysis and interviews w/o being as silly as other seattle hosts.
    seadoc
    NET Practice Squad

• Will miss the radio show Salk but can't stand seeing him talk on tv. All I seen was a big butt chin moving up and down with words. Did enjoy listening to the show tho.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:I won't miss him talking down to any caller that doesn't agree with his point of view, and making them sound like they are 4 years old.

This.

I liked him for the most part, but he did this way too much and tended to whine a bit, too.

I like Brock a lot, hopefully they find a listenable replacement for Salk. As a Hawks fan in CA, it's the only Seattle radio show I find tolerable.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Veteran

• How about Brock and Boz??? Any takers??? [ducking head under cover]

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

• I'm not sure I'm bummed. I thought Salk was good at his job, but honestly, I listen to that station online, mainly because they get the exclusive seahawks stuff, like the PC coaches show each week. I don't listen in the offseason because there's just too much baseball, basketball and other sports talk on there that I'm just not that interested in since I'm not from the area. Hopefully they'll bring in someone who isn't too bad, but as long as they continue with things like the coaches show, I'll likely keep listening

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• There was one bit last year where I wanted to reach through the radio and strangle Salk. Remember right after the Bears game where Skip Bayless went on ESPN and said that he wasn't impressed with Wilson because he couldn't throw from inside the pocket? Mike Sando crunched the numbers and proved Bayless to be completely wrong (surprise, surprise) and went on Brock & Salk the next morning to talk about it.

As soon as Sando started making his case, Salk busted up laughing about the statistics Sando had put together and WOULD NOT SHUT UP! I was trying to listen to Sando and all I heard was Salk cracking himself up. The whole thing was just stupid.

Count me among those who are less than heartbroken.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Next

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information