Lol, Sherman wants us to get Woodson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Lol, Sherman wants us to get Woodson
Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 am
  • Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25
    Charles Woodson come to Seattle with the L.O.B and let's go after this ring!
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: Lol, Sherman wants us to get Woodson
Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:01 am
  • Can he still play slot? He can definitely be a 3rd safety and allow Kam to play closer to the line but won't be an everydown player with this team.

I imagine with Schneider's willingness to draft Barron last year, they can fit him in with this D however.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 am
  • I doubt it will happen. Probably depends on whether he wants to take one more run at a ring or get one final payday. I'm guessing he wouldn't be getting a payday from Seattle.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 am
  • He would cost way too much. His salary is going to be based a lot more on his legacy and name than his contributions moving forward.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 am
  • Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet

Released DB Charles Woodson's agent Carl Poston: "He'd like to go play for a contender, win another Super Bowl. He caught that bug."

Sounds like winning is more important at this point.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 am
  • If all he cares about is the ring, he might be willing to sign for HALF of what he could get elsewhere with us. I'd take him in a heartbeat for the nickel, if he thinks he can play it well. There's no way we're putting him in Browner's spot.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:17 am
  • Woodson or Ed Reed improves our nickle defense . Either one of them can fill in for Thomas , even though it wouldnt be as good as Thomas. While Thomas moves to the slot.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 am
  • That would be awesome!!!! Thomas proved he could play slot at the ProBowl
    Hawksfan78
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 am
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:Woodson or Ed Reed improves our nickle defense . Either one of them can fill in for Thomas , even though it wouldnt be as good as Thomas. While Thomas moves to the slot.

Ha! Nice job, catching my typo. For shame. I do know how to spell "nickle", but not in that post, apparently. >.<
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:He would cost way too much. His salary is going to be based a lot more on his legacy and name than his contributions moving forward.

Two broken collarbones in 1.5 seasons, I'm not against signing him because he isn't good, I'm against signing him because his body is breaking down.

We have an injury-prone guy in our nickel defense, it's Thurmond.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:22 am
  • Thurmond is more than injury PRONE, he is just straight up always injured. I'd be totally fine with picking up Woodson.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 am
  • I love Woodson. I'd be all over this. He's breaking down a bit, but I doubt he would sign for anything more than a 1-2 year deal.

His rough play style fits our profile as well. I'd LOVE to see him in Seahawk blue.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:45 am
  • I would love to add Woodson. Have him and Kam playing safety and move Earl to the slot on certain plays or move Charles down to the slot and go from there.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:49 am
  • I'd trust JS/PC's judgment on this one whichever way they go. Doesn't seem like an area of need, but it wouldn't hurt to have a tested and cheap veteran for depth, situational coverage and just to give our young guys a breather. Of course, a lot of this is going to depend on what Woodson's expectations are regarding compensation and playing time. There are probably good teams out there that can offer him a bigger role with similar pay.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:50 am
  • I once got flamed for suggesting the Hawks sign him before Packers did.

I just love the dude. Highly unlikely, but he'd add versatility and a more veteran defensive leader.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 am
  • What a perfect signing this would be. Not just for his play on the field and making our stud secondary that much more versatile and dangerous. But think about how much he could teach our young guys about the game. Like Lawyer did with Kam and Earl. Sherman and Browner could be that much better with what Woodson could teach them.

Yes please!
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 am
  • Woodson looked terrible down the stretch. I wouldn't want him as more than a team leader/ situational player.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm
  • Nickel is correct. Nickle is not. Pass on Woodson, but George Wilson intrigues me
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:02 pm
  • MrCarey wrote:Thurmond is more than injury PRONE, he is just straight up always injured. I'd be totally fine with picking up Woodson.

No doubt. If he's a bargain, he's an option.
    gmor
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    EastCoastHawksFan wrote:Woodson or Ed Reed improves our nickle defense . Either one of them can fill in for Thomas , even though it wouldnt be as good as Thomas. While Thomas moves to the slot.

Ha! Nice job, catching my typo. For shame. I do know how to spell "nickle", but not in that post, apparently. >.<

LOL, thats funny but not my intention at all. I was just trying to avoid the "stop trying to change a pro bowlers postion" arguement.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:I would love to add Woodson. Have him and Kam playing safety and move Earl to the slot on certain plays or move Charles down to the slot and go from there.

I think Woodson if affordable would be sweet, however I'm really not a fan of moving Earl to the slot anymore then 4 or 5 plays a game, he's a pro-bowl first team All Pro Safety, I'm sure he could move to the slot occasionally and play well, but its just not necessary, he's the best in the league at where he is now, why mess with that.

EDIT; I know I'll prob get flamed for this, because everyone seems to love this idea, I just had to say it. Voice of dissent and all!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:25 pm
  • HawksSoc wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:I would love to add Woodson. Have him and Kam playing safety and move Earl to the slot on certain plays or move Charles down to the slot and go from there.

I think Woodson if affordable would be sweet, however I'm really not a fan of moving Earl to the slot anymore then 4 or 5 plays a game, he's a pro-bowl first team All Pro Safety, I'm sure he could move to the slot occasionally and play well, but its just not necessary, he's the best in the league at where he is now, why mess with that.

EDIT; I know I'll prob get flamed for this, because everyone seems to love this idea, I just had to say it. Voice of dissent and all!

Not at all.

If we picked up Woodson, (and it were up to me) I wouldn't change Earl's role at all. The guy is an elite FS that allows the Seahawks to play press cover one. Woodson is a gambler (albeit a pretty good one) and would be more suited for the slot or playing the middle of the field.

I love the idea though (for the right price and the right years).
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm
  • Realistically speaking...how many years does a 36 year old DB have left in him? Considering his injury problems over the past few years the Seahawks would be better off finding someone in the draft to train up and mold into shape to fit the team.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 pm
  • Bakergirl wrote:Realistically speaking...how many years does a 36 year old DB have left in him? Considering his injury problems over the past few years the Seahawks would be better off finding someone in the draft to train up and mold into shape to fit the team.

No reason you couldn't do both, in fact the Hawks might be better off that way. If they took a guy in the 4-7th round that they felt physically fit the mold, it would give him 1 year, maybe to to get his legs under him. Winston Guy wasn't ready this year, they love the guy but maybe he'll be ready next. Same thing.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:31 pm
  • Woodson in the nickle defense will be WAY better than Trufant (in that position).

Thank You Richard Sherman for extending the invitation.

This man would be the PERFECT addition to the LOB!
    Paschtorian
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:39 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:If all he cares about is the ring, he might be willing to sign for HALF of what he could get elsewhere with us. I'd take him in a heartbeat for the nickel, if he thinks he can play it well. There's no way we're putting him in Browner's spot.

He'd be a big improvement over Tru. Id pull the trigger no doubt.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 pm
  • Woodson is a first rounder with Shermans attitude and abilitys when he was younger. I can see where Sherm likes the guy.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:47 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Woodson is a first rounder with Shermans attitude and abilitys when he was younger. I can see where Sherm likes the guy.

I think you've got some revisionist history in your head. Charles Woodson wasn't even a starter until his 4th year in the league, and he didn't break double digits in passes defended until his 9th year. Arguably, Sherman's 2nd year is equal to or better than Woodson's best year. Take a look, you tell me.

http://www.nfl.com/player/charleswoodso ... 97/profile
    http://www.nfl.com/player/richardsherma ... 07/profile

I'm not disparaging Woodson, but assuming Sherman keeps pace with his 2012 performance or gets better, it's no contest which is the better CB.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 pm
  • Hawksfan78 wrote:That would be awesome!!!! Thomas proved he could play slot at the ProBowl

Meaning Woodson plays one high?! Y'all need to share whatever you're smoking.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 pm
  • Woodson has already been quoted to saying that he doesn’t care about cash at this point in his career, he tasted success before, and wants it again…he wants another ring, and wants to sign with a contender.

Freeney is prob in the same boat, didn’t he sign like a 70mill contract with indy at some point? He only has so much time left, and has 1 bowl ring already, I bet he wants another one.

bill belichick always brings in veterans right at the end of there career, and they always end up producing for him, I have no doubt that Woodson would be a extremely awesome signing to play nickel back 15-30 plays a game.

Not sure about Dwight, but they would also be extremely valuable to our young players, I honestly don’t think Clem is really teaching Bruce much, he doesn’t seem like that kind of guy, even when celebrating sacks it seems they don’t like eachother, and Dwight has some moves that are built for speed that really might help Bruce in a way Clem couldn’t. You ever seen Clem in a interview? Not exactly a ray of sunshine lol...but i love that in D-linemen...anywhoot

Woodson I’m sure could even teach Sherm a thing or two, along with lane and our other young db’s….Youth is awesome, but its always good to sprinkle some vets in there, and with Hill, and Trufant prob gone…id like both these moves
    XLVIII - 2014 - Champions
    checkdanews
    NET Rookie

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:07 am
  • Two broken collarbones on a DB that'd be playing for a smashmouth defense that likes to put licks on guys? I don't think he'd last.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:36 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Woodson is a first rounder with Shermans attitude and abilitys when he was younger. I can see where Sherm likes the guy.

I think you've got some revisionist history in your head. Charles Woodson wasn't even a starter until his 4th year in the league, and he didn't break double digits in passes defended until his 9th year. Arguably, Sherman's 2nd year is equal to or better than Woodson's best year. Take a look, you tell me.

http://www.nfl.com/player/charleswoodso ... 97/profile
    http://www.nfl.com/player/richardsherma ... 07/profile

I'm not disparaging Woodson, but assuming Sherman keeps pace with his 2012 performance or gets better, it's no contest which is the better CB.

I'm more talking out of college, Woodson was suppose to be all that and stated it many times.

Here's an portion of his career the first couple of seasons. From Wiki

After Woodson's first season in the NFL he was named The NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year by the Associated Press. He started all sixteen games, becoming the first rookie Raider since 1971 to do so. Woodson had 64 tackles that season, leading the NFL for defensive backs. He was third in the league in interceptions with five and recorded one interception return for a touchdown as well as one forced fumble.[12] Woodson was named to his first Pro Bowl. In his second season in 1999, Woodson was selected to his second Pro Bowl and was named All-Pro by the Associated Press.[2]

I guess I don't have a clue................................

In the event your going to argue Wiki isn't accurate.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodCh00.htm

Supports his talent starts and stats from his rookie year on out.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 am
  • Interesting, his stats are missing from the first 3 years on the official NFL website. My bad, but not my fault, lol. Click the link above in my post if you don't believe me! Buncha hyphens...In any case, on Pro Football Reference, they've got him for 0 passes defended in his first 3 years. How the hell did he get defensive rookie of the year? 5 ints is good for a rookie, but Sherman had four in only 10 games in his rookie year, and seventeen passes defended in 10 games compared to 0 in Woodson's first three seasons, according to PFR.

I'd say no matter how you cut it, Sherman's smoking Woodson compared against the same points in their careers. How do you argue otherwise, again?

Oh, right...Woodson was drafted in round 1, compared to Sherman's round 5. Clearly, that determines who's elite.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:17 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Interesting, his stats are missing from the first 3 years on the official NFL website. My bad, but not my fault, lol. Click the link above in my post if you don't believe me! Buncha hyphens...In any case, on Pro Football Reference, they've got him for 0 passes defended in his first 3 years. How the hell did he get defensive rookie of the year? 5 ints is good for a rookie, but Sherman had four in only 10 games in his rookie year, and seventeen passes defended in 10 games compared to 0 in Woodson's first three seasons, according to PFR.

I'd say no matter how you cut it, Sherman's smoking Woodson compared against the same points in their careers. How do you argue otherwise, again?

Oh, right...Woodson was drafted in round 1, compared to Sherman's round 5. Clearly, that determines who's elite.

Those stats are wrong. At least when you compare them to his stats via ESPN player page.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... es-woodson

Sherman is still smoking him though.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:36 am
  • Jesus, there are a lot of discrepancies with Charles Woodson's stats. What the hell gives? Either way, like you said, Sherman's smoking him. Hell, can somebody name a CB that has had a better first two years than Sherman? I'm not saying there aren't any, but I want to know who they are.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:52 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Jesus, there are a lot of discrepancies with Charles Woodson's stats. What the hell gives? Either way, like you said, Sherman's smoking him. Hell, can somebody name a CB that has had a better first two years than Sherman? I'm not saying there aren't any, but I want to know who they are.

I just looked up Revis first two years and it looks like Sherman has him beat as well. The exciting thing is that Revis made a huge jump in his 3rd year. That doesn't mean Sherman will make the same jump or even needs to but I think Sherman deserves every bit of praise he is getting.

This is still my favorite .gif I have ever made. I love the way he runs the route for him and intercepts it. AJ Green is awesome too.

bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:03 am
  • Bigtrain, that clip is just epic. It's textbook. For real, a good CB borders on art at times. That play is art.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:57 pm
  • One of my favs from last year. I like how he kinda boxed him out while locating the ball then made the play on it. Sherm was physical but not to physical that it would draw a flag. We all we got we all we need. GO HAWKS!!!
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:11 pm
  • Not saying whose better as more a long the line of kindred spirits that have a lot of the same atributes for their games and how they used to talk it up as far as Woodson goes, hell he was a Raider it is part of their DNA. Sherman has come on like a Fox in a Hen House as far as chewing up the competition. Woodson just backed up his draft status.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm
  • Not much to add, except this tweet from earlier today.

Lance Allan ‏@lanceallan

Keep hearing #Patriots are front runners for the services of Charles Woodson. #Seahawks & #Ravens in the mix. #Texans a little farther back

Retweeted by Curtis Crabtree
    Go 'Hawks!
    red17hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:22 pm
  • Woodson would be a good fit I think. But instead of moving Earl around move Chancellor. I know Woodson isn't the big hitter SS type but he has always been noted as a sure/good tackler and would be much better in coverages. You could move Kam down closer to the line for nickel/dime plays putting him in an OLB spot a few times a game. I don't think Sherman would have to worry about his over the top help then with Earl and Woodson behind him

He may get hurt a lot (especially recently) but don't let anyone fool you into thinking he isn't physical...
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1466466-green-bay-packers-charles-woodsons-return-brings-physicality
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:I doubt it will happen. Probably depends on whether he wants to take one more run at a ring or get one final payday. I'm guessing he wouldn't be getting a payday from Seattle.

Money talks
    zayden185
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm
  • zayden185 wrote:Money talks

Yeah, but the alternative isn't BS to walk, it's another ring. There are more than a few players that want the ring more than the money; or that want their ego appeased by being in Canton one day, and multiple rings makes that a fair deal more likely if they're a pretty good player.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:08 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    zayden185 wrote:Money talks

Yeah, but the alternative isn't BS to walk, it's another ring. There are more than a few players that want the ring more than the money; or that want their ego appeased by being in Canton one day, and multiple rings makes that a fair deal more likely if they're a pretty good player.

Woodson has already stated money isn't a concern, he just wants to win...
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:22 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:Woodson has already stated money isn't a concern, he just wants to win...

I know, that's half the reason I posted that...
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:39 pm
  • Having flashbacks to when the Giants brought in that old Cowboy Everson Walls in the 1990 season and all he did was bring experience, savvy, and some big plays that helped galvanize the DBack corps on a team that went on to win a Super Bowl.

The parallel is not exact, as Walls was really at the end of his career....but even guys on their last leg, if they are cagey enough, can make plays that lead to success. Some guys are just ballplayers...Woodson is one of those guys.
    canucklhead
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:21 pm
  • Seahawks beat the Pats this year and we'll be even better next year.
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information