Mike Salk headed back to Boston... huge bummer

pinksheets

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3lahkc2o said:
Never been a fan. I prefer my local radio to be local.

Not a fan of transplants. I like mitch but that took years for that to happen. Plus he has talent.

He can take his act back to Boston. Thanks for using us as a stepping stone.
So Softy, then? I'll talk Salk. May have been a transplant, but his approach wasn't phony or anything. Only guy on Seattle sports radio, locally, that had that major market/national level talent/appeal.

I get what you're saying. I like the sincerity of a homer, but I don't think there was more interesting discussion of Seattle sports then when Salk was on the radio. The rest of our shows aren't really any better than barstool chatter.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Salk was pretty good. He really helped get Brock comfortable behind the mic.
Salks national fill in spots were totally different than the Brock and Salk show.
Less teasers and more straight forward.

I've always been a Softy listener though. You can read between the lines with him and find a ton of info.
C'mon KJR, get Softy back in to the breaking news/late morning slot!

I really cant stand Elise and Jerry.

pinksheets

Reaction score
KJR moved Softy out of the morning to try to free up their only strong show from competing with Brock and Salk, now Brock and Salk is on its way out. They conceded the morning by putting Elise in that slot and a few weeks later the morning is ripe for the taking. I love KJR for being super local, but they really get beat management wise by 710 all of the time.

Then again, I'd rather listen to Jason Puckett(he ain't bad) than anything on 710 besides Brock and Salk, so who knows what is going to happen now. KJR is looking stronger by the minute.

seadoc

Reaction score
Put me down in the bummed column.
I always knew he was a transplant, but aside from the accent (and attitude) you couldn't tell. Has a way of doing fun, engaging sports analysis and interviews w/o being as silly as other seattle hosts.

garydrake425

Reaction score
Will miss the radio show Salk but can't stand seeing him talk on tv. All I seen was a big butt chin moving up and down with words. Did enjoy listening to the show tho.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2kv9a8d8 said:
I won't miss him talking down to any caller that doesn't agree with his point of view, and making them sound like they are 4 years old.

This.

I liked him for the most part, but he did this way too much and tended to whine a bit, too.

I like Brock a lot, hopefully they find a listenable replacement for Salk. As a Hawks fan in CA, it's the only Seattle radio show I find tolerable.

JonRud

Reaction score
How about Brock and Boz??? Any takers??? [ducking head under cover]

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm bummed. I thought Salk was good at his job, but honestly, I listen to that station online, mainly because they get the exclusive seahawks stuff, like the PC coaches show each week. I don't listen in the offseason because there's just too much baseball, basketball and other sports talk on there that I'm just not that interested in since I'm not from the area. Hopefully they'll bring in someone who isn't too bad, but as long as they continue with things like the coaches show, I'll likely keep listening

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
There was one bit last year where I wanted to reach through the radio and strangle Salk. Remember right after the Bears game where Skip Bayless went on ESPN and said that he wasn't impressed with Wilson because he couldn't throw from inside the pocket? Mike Sando crunched the numbers and proved Bayless to be completely wrong (surprise, surprise) and went on Brock & Salk the next morning to talk about it.

As soon as Sando started making his case, Salk busted up laughing about the statistics Sando had put together and WOULD NOT SHUT UP! I was trying to listen to Sando and all I heard was Salk cracking himself up. The whole thing was just stupid.

Count me among those who are less than heartbroken.

SundayNiteBlackout

Reaction score
I am reaaaally bummed. Mike Salk is an amazing broadcaster, and really the YIN to Brock's Yang. Easily my favorite radio show. Damn.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I can't believe how many people get bummed. Really? Are we that dependant on a dude on the radio that during his absence we are bummed?

Really? Some of you might just need to put it all in perspective.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I just think its because of the chemistry that Salk had with Huard, that and the fact that I can't find another sports radio show in town thats as good as the Brock & Salk show.

Softy's corny, Mitch in the Morning is okay, sometimes its funny but I could live without Hugh Millen talking like he knows what actually went on, Elise and Jerry DO NOT GET ME STARTED!

and on 710 its not much better, just a little bit, Bob & Groz are kinda boring, and I barely ever turned on the Colabro show or whatever it is now.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3ofeou93 said:
I can't believe how many people get bummed. Really? Are we that dependant on a dude on the radio that during his absence we are bummed?

Really? Some of you might just need to put it all in perspective.

In the perspective of following the Seahawks as a fan and as my hobby, yes i'm bummed.
Work is that much better when i can listen to people talk hawks.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Brock and Salk was BY FAR the best show for Hawk talk. It was not even close. Especially when you consider everything KJR does is tainted by the presence of Hugh Millen. B&S were Seahawks all the time, every day during football season. Great x's and o's talk without going over fans heads for the sake of sounding smart (cough*Millen*cough).

Brock and Salk had really good chemistry. They made me laugh as much as they made me think. I like Brock a goo deal. But I think he loses a lot without Salk actually. Their opposite personalities while sharing a similar sense of humor really worked.

Sorry, Dom. You're on you're own on this one. I'll take actually talented outsiders who take to our city over time (which Salk did) over lesser talented locals. I'll take a Mitch or Salk any day over a Softy or Dick Fain.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
He's was too talented to stay here forever.......I kind of figured eventually this would happen. I can't stand the majority of the other guys on 710 and especially 950. Sad.

Reaction score
To be honest, I wasn't all that surprised when I saw the tweets/rumors, because he's from Boston. Was only a matter of time.

OP
OP
LawHawk

LawHawk

Reaction score
I agree this was inevitable. I thought for sure he would go national after Seattle and I still think he will. Boston is a stepping stone for him too even if it is his home town.

Please stop naming former/current athletes that you want to pair with Brock. You can't have all "jocks" on a radio show. You need at least one "radio guy" and that is the harder job to fill. The real dream show would be Salk and Hasselbeck. That would be all-time great.

Why is this so important to us? Because Seahawks games are on only once a week at most. The other ~347 days a year we have to cram Seahawks into our heads somehow. And I can't post here while I'm driving.

I like Softy. Brock and Softy would be fine with me. Or Brock and Ian or Brock and Mitch. Even better, find some really good "radio guy" who I have never heard before, like I had never heard of Mike Salk. Maybe there's one in Seattle; maybe we need another import.

brendonkuhn

Reaction score
Has he officially announced this himself yet? It's obviously happening, too much information out there, but I haven't heard a statement from him on air, online or even a tweet acknowledging it. They are still pumping the St. Patty's Day trip as well, so clearly he isn't fleeing instantly.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
brendonkuhn":2y2n5wmx said:
Has he officially announced this himself yet? It's obviously happening, too much information out there, but I haven't heard a statement from him on air, online or even a tweet acknowledging it. They are still pumping the St. Patty's Day trip as well, so clearly he isn't fleeing instantly.

Darn. Was hoping he was gone already.