Draft rumors 2/13/13 edition

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Draft rumors 2/13/13 edition
Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm
  • These are just grabbed from places like rotoworld or draft insider, but may be news to some:

Tyler Wilson a 3rd rounder?

"Several teams" have a third-round grade on Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson, according to draft insider Tony Pauline. (kearly's comment): Wilson also had the smallest hands of any QB at the Senior Bowl: 8 and 5/8's inches. Most GMs have a 9 inch cutoff point.

Arthur Brown at #58?

The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah asked "sources to name one player not projected to go in the first-round" and Kansas State LB Arthur Brown's name was suggested. "Brown lacks ideal size, but he still excites evaluators," Jeremiah said, adding that he projects as an ideal fit at weakside linebacker. "One scouting source compared him favorably to Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David. Brown is currently slotted to go late in the second or early in the third round."

Vance McDonald's hype builds

NFL draft legend Gil Brandt tweeted Rice TE Vance McDonald might be his top sleeper in this year's class. "He'll come out of next week's NFL Combine as one of the stars," [Brandt] wrote. The Rice product was a favorite of Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage, and despite a few drops during the week of practice, McDonald impressed with his mobility in Mobile.

NFL scouts tell the National Football Post's Russ Lande that they would be surprised to see Rice TE Vance McDonald make it out of the second-round.

Brandon Williams early 2nd round pick?

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl wouldn't be shocked if Missouri Southern State NT Brandon Williams is selected in the first 40 picks.

Damontre Moore draft stock shocker

The National Football Post's Russ Lande has not spoken to an NFL scout who grades Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore in the first-round. (kearly's comment): wow.

Some love for Hopkins

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler spoke with one NFL scout who liked Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins more than his projected mid-to-late first-round slot. The scout "raved" about the Clemson product. Hopkins' best trait is his willingness to go up and get targets at the catch point, with strong hands and good body positioning. He creates separation by setting up his routes, and Hopkins has deceptive long speed.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Re: Draft rumors 2/13/13 edition
Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm
  • Was just looking at Brandon Williams - 6'2" 341!

Plays all over the line (you know Pete sprouts wood when he reads that), 16.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, three time All American

Dude is an athlete at that size, quick and ferocious.

Cons - not great against the run as you would think from a big man

If he goes to the combine and tears it a new turd tunnel, may be gone before we pick in Round #2.

I would love him becoming a Hawk (of course I will probably say that about 45 other players before the draft)
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 am
  • I would love Arthur Brown at 25... if he fell to 58 i'd be doing backflips.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 am
  • Man I want Hopkins so badly.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Man I want Hopkins so badly.

:13:

Last year I wanted Wilson worse than any prospect ever. Needless to say, I shitted bricks when his name was called at #75. I wouldn't quite put Hopkins on that same tier of "I'd sell my left testicle to get him", but yeah, if we don't pick him, it's going to hurt. And if the 49ers get him, it will ruin the draft for me.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:16 am
  • kearly wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Man I want Hopkins so badly.

Last year I wanted Wilson worse than any prospect ever. Needless to say, I shitted bricks when his name was called at #75. I wouldn't quite put Hopkins on that same tier of "I'd sell my left testicle to get him", but yeah, if we don't pick him, it's going to hurt. And if the 49ers get him, it will ruin the draft for me.

Did you really? Impressive.

Do you have any links to your comments from last year's draft?

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 am
  • Thanks for putting those quotes together for this post.

I wonder if that Arthur Brown quote will prove true. I have my doubts, but it would be sweet. Assuming we get some DL help in free agency, how amazing would it be to get Hopkins and Brown with the first two picks?
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:01 pm
  • Vance McDonald's hype builds

NFL draft legend Gil Brandt tweeted Rice TE Vance McDonald might be his top sleeper in this year's class. "He'll come out of next week's NFL Combine as one of the stars," [Brandt] wrote. The Rice product was a favorite of Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage, and despite a few drops during the week of practice, McDonald impressed with his mobility in Mobile.

NFL scouts tell the National Football Post's Russ Lande that they would be surprised to see Rice TE Vance McDonald make it out of the second-round..[/quote]

McDonald is a guy who will impress at the combine because he has the ideal size and mobility you look for in a Y tightend, but I'm still not sold on him to make an impact at the next league, mostly because of his receiving ability. His 2011 tape reminded me of Anthony Mccoy in that he constantly dropped easy passes. Now, I haven't seen any 2012 tape but it sounds like he still having trouble securing the ball.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:Did you really? Impressive.

I can vouch for Kip. He posted several pieces highlighting how much he liked Wilson and believed he would be a success despite the height issues. I think the terms used were things like, "Ideal quarterback for this offensive scheme" and how he was the perfect point guard that Carroll was looking for.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:47 pm
  • kearly wrote:

I too went ballistic when I heard Russell Wilson's name called, but mostly just because I was regurgitating your analysis since I don't do a whole lot of research other than amateur eye test viewing and stats. Needless to say I also really want Hopkins and I'm hoping he'll fall to us at #25.

My friends think I'm a football profit from the information I get from this site lol.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Did you really? Impressive.

I can vouch for Kip. He posted several pieces highlighting how much he liked Wilson and believed he would be a success despite the height issues. I think the terms used were things like, "Ideal quarterback for this offensive scheme" and how he was the perfect point guard that Carroll was looking for.

I'll vouch too. I remember Kip being almost ga ga over Russ and thinking to myself 'OK, I saw him at Wisconsin and he did look good. But really? That good?' To answer my questions from this time last year....um yeah, that freakin' good (obviously)! His TD to int ratio was off the charts as a senior and that to me is always a really good indicator of seeing the field well and making good decisions, a trait we now know he posses in spades.

If only you could do that with lotto numbers eh Kip?

So if you guys like Hopkins that much, I'm rooting for him too. I let guys like Rob (English) and Kip do the scouting and recommending for me and then root accordingly on draft day. :mrgreen:
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Did you really? Impressive.

I'll second this. Kip, among a couple others (sorry cant remember who), we're the only posters who had the balls to say Wilson deserved to be ranked near the top of last years draft class.

I think to be fair, many, many people saw the talent that Wilson was. I mean, it wasn't hard to see. Their were tons comments on him having the "it" factor and how he'd be a top 5 pick if he was 6' 3", but people just couldn't get over his lack of size. Kip not only saw past his size, but focused on what he could do in the offense we were trying to build.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm
  • The day Wilson was drafted, I embarrassed myself gushing over him in this article on Rob's blog. I'm thankful that I never got the "future Mrs. Wilson" tag at .net for it.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 pm
  • kearly wrote:The day Wilson was drafted, I embarrassed myself gushing over him in this article on Rob's blog. I'm thankful that I never got the "future Mrs. Wilson" tag at .net for it.

Awesome stuff. That's very impressive Kip- I must say. I like to think that I was well versed in our needs and wasn't at all upset with the pick but wasn't elated. You were right.

So this year, we agree on the same pick Hopkins. Anyone else you feel that way about? Khaseem Greene for me- however I think he may go in the top 40.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:03 am
  • Try to add to this topic here,

Keenan Allen Slipping? (From Tony Pauline's site)

February 14th
    - I am told Keenan Allen/WR/Cal has not looked anything special in combine training nor has he separated himself from the almost dozen wide outs he’s working out with in Florida. Its not that Allen has been bad rather he does not show the “wow” factor you want to see in a potential top twelve pick.

Also little tidbit on Escobar

- From the tight end class sources tell me Gavin Escobar of San Diego State is still rough around the edges yet has caught everything in site the past few weeks.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:58 pm
  • kearly wrote:

I think you SHAT bricks
    zayden185
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:00 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:
    kearly wrote:

Did you really? Impressive.

What's the going rate for a leg testicle?
    zayden185
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:10 pm
  • Veilside wrote:
    kearly wrote:

I too went ballistic when I heard Russell Wilson's name called, but mostly just because I was regurgitating your analysis since I don't do a whole lot of research other than amateur eye test viewing and stats. Needless to say I also really want Hopkins and I'm hoping he'll fall to us at #25.

My friends think I'm a football profit from the information I get from this site lol.

What he said :) I fell in love with Wilson based on what I read here and at SDB and from what I learned after that. I was bummed about Irvin but loved Wagner, Wilson and Turbin. Of course the fact that I'm short didn't hurt Russell's stock with me either :p
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 am
  • Figured I'd add this here as a rumor post:

"@Bischoff_Scott: Hearing that Seattle likes Louisiana Tech RT Jordan Mills a lot, earlier than you would think. He fits their running style perfectly."
    https://twitter.com/bischoff_scott/stat ... 4316392448

Currently graded as a round 3-4 prospect on nfldraftscout.com

(Mods, maybe we can get a sticky thread going for all draft rumors?)
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:08 pm
  • During this past season Vance McDonald was a player I liked and thought he was off the radar/underrated, but now its to the point to where I think he overrated. 2nd round is a round or two too early from what I have seen of him.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 pm
  • Jordan Mills

Reminds me of James Carpenter. Similar height/weight. Is chubby, slow, but strong. It's just three plays, but Mills technique seems pretty natural. I'd consider him a headscratcher pick, which given Seattle's previous history with guys like Carpenter, McQuistan, Giacomini, Sweezy, and Omiyale, means that being a headscratching pick probably helps Mills' chances.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 pm
  • kearly wrote:Jordan Mills

Reminds me of James Carpenter. Similar height/weight. Is chubby, slow, but strong. It's just three plays, but Mills technique seems pretty natural. I'd consider him a headscratcher pick, which given Seattle's previous history with guys like Carpenter, McQuistan, Giacomini, Sweezy, and Omiyale, means that being a headscratching pick probably helps Mills' chances.

What round is he looking likely for?
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:11 pm
  • Veilside wrote:
    What round is he looking likely for?

From a few posts earlier:

Recon_Hawk wrote:Figured I'd add this here as a rumor post:

"@Bischoff_Scott: Hearing that Seattle likes Louisiana Tech RT Jordan Mills a lot, earlier than you would think. He fits their running style perfectly."
    https://twitter.com/bischoff_scott/stat ... 4316392448

Currently graded as a round 3-4 prospect on nfldraftscout.com
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 pm
  • kearly wrote:

100% agree. Wilson to Hopkins would be dynamic
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:42 pm
  • Walter Football lists Mills as round 3-5.

I don't take this report terribly seriously. Stuff gets "leaked" anonymously to major outlets all the time. If the guy claimed he had a long time Seahawks insider who told him this, that would be one thing, but it's not even that, it's basically hearsay. Offensive tackle might be as low as Seattle's 6th highest priority, and to date they've generally drafted by order of priority (QB exempted).
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 pm
  • kearly wrote:Walter Football lists Mills as round 3-5.

I don't take this report terribly seriously. Stuff gets "leaked" anonymously to major outlets all the time. If the guy claimed he had a long time Seahawks insider who told him this, that would be one thing, but it's not even that, it's basically hearsay. Offensive tackle might be as low as Seattle's 6th highest priority, and to date they've generally drafted by order of priority (QB exempted).

I haven't been able to watch the tape above yet (and honestly, I trust your opinion on offensive linemen over my own), but does he show he might be a tackle who can also play guard, similar to Carp? (Also, if the only tape is those 3 plays, you could try Quinton Patton's tape, though It'd mostly be pass-pro)
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:40 pm
  • I don't really think Arthur Brown makes it to #58.
    If he does, he sure looks like a JS/Pete guy.
    Position need meet Arthur Brown.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information