Which Free Agents fit in with the Hawks?

Biggiec76

Reaction score
Richard Seymour -Versatile, plus it give red bryant someone to compete with

Sean Smith - Cutting Trufant and adding smith brings size and youth to our CB's

Eben Britton - getting him to compete for right tackle and can play anywhere on the line.

benbu75

Reaction score
Hawk4lyfe":23e9q0fb said:
I'm not that familiar with wallace, ill admit, but i think we need a burner, a guy that can fly by and get behind the coverage. if wallace is that guy, i say sign him.

Wallace runs the 40 in 4.33 seconds and has led the Steelers in receiving for 3 or his 4 years in the NFL. He is only 26 years old and will likely not be resigned by Pittsburgh, based on their current salary cap situation, unless there is a big change in the positions he and the Steelers front office took in the negotiations last year. He has 4 years experience playing in an offense with a QB that likes to run around a lot to extend plays. IMO, he is a perfect fit for the Seahawks, but then, he is a perfect fit for any team. It all depends on who strikes his interest. Hopefully, if he hits the market, going to a team like the Seahawks will appeal to him.

60niners

Reaction score
benbu75":26uhr5n0 said:
Hawk4lyfe":26uhr5n0 said:
I'm not that familiar with wallace, ill admit, but i think we need a burner, a guy that can fly by and get behind the coverage. if wallace is that guy, i say sign him.

Wallace runs the 40 in 4.33 seconds and has led the Steelers in receiving for 3 or his 4 years in the NFL. He is only 26 years old and will likely not be resigned by Pittsburgh, based on their current salary cap situation, unless there is a big change in the positions he and the Steelers front office took in the negotiations last year. He has 4 years experience playing in an offense with a QB that likes to run around a lot to extend plays. IMO, he is a perfect fit for the Seahawks, but then, he is a perfect fit for any team. It all depends on who strikes his interest. Hopefully, if he hits the market, going to a team like the Seahawks will appeal to him.
Wallace is looking for top-flight receiver money though, and I believe he's a bit of a high maintenance player.

I wouldn't mind having someone of his talent on the Niners, but not at the risk of the potential baggage.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Could anthony Spencer replace Hill?

Because of scheme he hasn't been mentioned
Because of money it isn't too likely...

But he is a high level player who can get to the qb.

I like him better than freeney and maybe even Kruger.
Especially if he could transition to 4-3 lolb

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I've read a lot of opinions on Kruger lately. I am not sure how well the archive works here... but I've posted quite a bit about him over the last year or so I think. Paul wasn't a DE until he lost a QB battle in camp in college. He was the best high school QB in the state of Utah and is as cool and great of a teammate as there ever was. He was nearly killed after being stabbed many MANY times in an attempted murder. This is one reason why he turned pro early. He was still a bit undersized and was still learning the position. But he had a breakout season at Utah as a DE and went pro as his stock was up, and life is short and he'd already experienced the near death experience that changes so many.

He was strongly recruited by BYU and Utah as a QB, and both schools are pretty good at recruiting QB's. BYU said they wanted to move him to LB, Utah wanted to use him as a QB, so he chose to go there. Then they changed their mind. He played, almost died, came back and played even better, and hit the NFL as a still pretty raw player. He has just started to hit his stride. He was a QB from the time he was a little kid and is a supreme athlete. I think he compares very well to Clem in a guy that is just putting it together a bit later because he wasn't the prototypical DE from age 12 like some of these guys that are high draft picks. I don't think he's just good because of Suggs as some have suggested. He's gotten by on athleticism and work ethic for sure, and now is really developed into a true DE. His best years are ahead of him.

I like Paul. I like his family. I think he would be 100% perfect as a fit for the Hawks. He isn't a Grant Wistrom type of signing where the guy had a couple of semi-good years on a team with a dominant offense and is due for an overpayment from a dumb team. He is a supreme athlete, teammate, and human being who is due to breakout in a major way if put in the right situation, and he commands respect from his life experiences and the respect he shows to others and has earned. If I had any say in it, he'd be my #1 target of realistic options. Keep in mind... his whole family still lives here in Utah near Provo (city of Orem about 30 minutes from the SLC airport). His brothers are players too in the Pac 12 at Utah as are many of his relatives, friends, and so on. I think the draw to the west coast would be strong, especially with a strong team. It's a 90 minute flight home from Seattle which is about what many of our commutes are. I think this could really work in our favor if the Hawks went after him. It would be so much easier for his family to attend games and such.

He is loyal and am sure he'd play in Baltimore for his whole career, but I think with the right offer and if Balto doesn't wow him off the bat, that Paul would give very serious consideration to offers from Seattle, San Francisco, and Denver due to the closeness of his family (geographically and emotionally), and the close regional proximity to his loved ones, and the fact that all three teams are excellent teams. I don't see him going to a place like Arizona, San Diego, or Oakland because they are all not particularly good franchises. But I can see the lure of a winner that is so close to home. Seattle would be a nice fit, and with the right amount of zeros on a deal I would think he would at least consider it and pause and think through all of the positives of such a move (if Baltimore doesn't come to play at the negotiating table). But knowing him... if Baltimore is close, he'll stay put because he's that kind of guy. To me... that means he's the kind of guy I'd like to swipe and add to our team.

He is a total ball hawk and oozes leadership. I've seen similar players see opportunities like this and bolt because they have a chance to move to a younger team and lead rather than stick with a bit older team and be a "piece of the puzzle". I've said it too much. I'd be 100000000 percent behind a heavy pursuit of Paul and hope it isn't just a pipe dream on my part. Great player, and an even better person. Fits the Hawks mold of player perfectly. Was always the underdog as a DE in college. He was a QB playing OLB/DE and learning on the job and was dominating while just picking it up. I'd go after him over Osi or anybody else that is available at DE. Rotating him in and using him while Clem recovers, and then having a lineup with multiple looks with Irvin, Clem, Mebane and Kruger in on passing downs could be a thing of beauty. Paul has incredible football knowledge and I can see him having zero issue covering in zone blitz packages due to his speed and knowledge of offenses. Overall, he'd be my #1 target to help the pass rush from the outside.

chris98251

Reaction score
We like guys that are

In there mid 20's to late 20's

Pissed off, and hungry to prove something

Cheap and wanting to use their CHANCE here to make their value known for the next contract

Want to be part of something and a team after bad experiences

Understand Petes philosophy

Physical freaks as far as size, speed or both

Intelligent and football smart

Willing to set me stats aside for team wins

Regardless of position these are the guys that end up making the grade as free agents here. If you wrap these traits around a guy and he fits it their is a chance he would be on the roster. We invite everyone because that is what John and Pete do, no stone unturned. But whether we think they are part of the big picture is not always evident till Game time starts. As I said in another thread, we bring guys in just to allow our young guys to get exposure to savvy vets that still have game but not enough to beat out our starters only to release them. Nice way to get some upcoaching and experience for our depth.

ProckHawks

Reaction score
QB: Jason Campbell
Matt Moore

RB: Felix Jones

TE: Jerad Cook

WR: Danny Amendola

DT: Henry Melton

DE: Michael Johnson

DB: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Derek Cox

I wouldn't mind seeing the Seahawks going after a few of those names I posted. All besides the QB's and CB's would be starter caliber FA's. I could see Felix Jones being an upgrade over Leon. Cook and Amendola would be sexy as hell on 2nd and 3rd downs with Wilson.

Think of this on 3rd down. Miller, Cook, Jones, Amendola, Tate, Baldwin, Rice and Wilson. Yea. Sexy huh?:)

joeshaney

Reaction score
chris98251":22pczf3k said:
We like guys that are

Cheap and wanting to use their CHANCE here to make their value known for the next contract

Regardless of position these are the guys that end up making the grade as free agents here. If you wrap these traits around a guy and he fits it their is a chance he would be on the roster. We invite everyone because that is what John and Pete do, no stone unturned. But whether we think they are part of the big picture is not always evident till Game time starts. As I said in another thread, we bring guys in just to allow our young guys to get exposure to savvy vets that still have game but not enough to beat out our starters only to release them. Nice way to get some upcoaching and experience for our depth.

LOL....
True, but who doesn't.

benbu75

Reaction score
ProckHawks":g9h5xsmk said:
Think of this on 3rd down. Miller, Cook, Jones, Amendola, Tate, Baldwin, Rice and Wilson. Yea. Sexy huh?:)

Which 2 of those 8 are going to play offensive line?

chris98251

Reaction score
joeshaney":1u81nll6 said:
chris98251":1u81nll6 said:
We like guys that are

LOL....
True, but who doesn't.

Thats who we bring in and who sticks, they don't look at names.

Clemons was a house hold star before he came here right, Browner was so well known we had a bidding war with the rest of the league for him. Robinson was so wanted that teams were giving up first round picks to get ahead of us to sign him. Yes being sarcastic here but thats what we look for. They all were or are key players we took from situations where they were not used to their potential or were not given a chance to play to their strengths and all were told in some way they were not good enough.

Oh and I have to keep reminding myself your the closet 49er fan here also so explaning stuff could lead to tantrums and rants if you don't agree.

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2hy2ftq5 said:
I've read a lot of opinions on Kruger lately. I am not sure how well the archive works here... but I've posted quite a bit about him over the last year or so I think. Paul wasn't a DE until he lost a QB battle in camp in college. He was the best high school QB in the state of Utah and is as cool and great of a teammate as there ever was. He was nearly killed after being stabbed many MANY times in an attempted murder. This is one reason why he turned pro early. He was still a bit undersized and was still learning the position. But he had a breakout season at Utah as a DE and went pro as his stock was up, and life is short and he'd already experienced the near death experience that changes so many.

He was strongly recruited by BYU and Utah as a QB, and both schools are pretty good at recruiting QB's. BYU said they wanted to move him to LB, Utah wanted to use him as a QB, so he chose to go there. Then they changed their mind. He played, almost died, came back and played even better, and hit the NFL as a still pretty raw player. He has just started to hit his stride. He was a QB from the time he was a little kid and is a supreme athlete. I think he compares very well to Clem in a guy that is just putting it together a bit later because he wasn't the prototypical DE from age 12 like some of these guys that are high draft picks. I don't think he's just good because of Suggs as some have suggested. He's gotten by on athleticism and work ethic for sure, and now is really developed into a true DE. His best years are ahead of him.

I like Paul. I like his family. I think he would be 100% perfect as a fit for the Hawks. He isn't a Grant Wistrom type of signing where the guy had a couple of semi-good years on a team with a dominant offense and is due for an overpayment from a dumb team. He is a supreme athlete, teammate, and human being who is due to breakout in a major way if put in the right situation, and he commands respect from his life experiences and the respect he shows to others and has earned. If I had any say in it, he'd be my #1 target of realistic options. Keep in mind... his whole family still lives here in Utah near Provo (city of Orem about 30 minutes from the SLC airport). His brothers are players too in the Pac 12 at Utah as are many of his relatives, friends, and so on. I think the draw to the west coast would be strong, especially with a strong team. It's a 90 minute flight home from Seattle which is about what many of our commutes are. I think this could really work in our favor if the Hawks went after him. It would be so much easier for his family to attend games and such.

He is loyal and am sure he'd play in Baltimore for his whole career, but I think with the right offer and if Balto doesn't wow him off the bat, that Paul would give very serious consideration to offers from Seattle, San Francisco, and Denver due to the closeness of his family (geographically and emotionally), and the close regional proximity to his loved ones, and the fact that all three teams are excellent teams. I don't see him going to a place like Arizona, San Diego, or Oakland because they are all not particularly good franchises. But I can see the lure of a winner that is so close to home. Seattle would be a nice fit, and with the right amount of zeros on a deal I would think he would at least consider it and pause and think through all of the positives of such a move (if Baltimore doesn't come to play at the negotiating table). But knowing him... if Baltimore is close, he'll stay put because he's that kind of guy. To me... that means he's the kind of guy I'd like to swipe and add to our team.

He is a total ball hawk and oozes leadership. I've seen similar players see opportunities like this and bolt because they have a chance to move to a younger team and lead rather than stick with a bit older team and be a "piece of the puzzle". I've said it too much. I'd be 100000000 percent behind a heavy pursuit of Paul and hope it isn't just a pipe dream on my part. Great player, and an even better person. Fits the Hawks mold of player perfectly. Was always the underdog as a DE in college. He was a QB playing OLB/DE and learning on the job and was dominating while just picking it up. I'd go after him over Osi or anybody else that is available at DE. Rotating him in and using him while Clem recovers, and then having a lineup with multiple looks with Irvin, Clem, Mebane and Kruger in on passing downs could be a thing of beauty. Paul has incredible football knowledge and I can see him having zero issue covering in zone blitz packages due to his speed and knowledge of offenses. Overall, he'd be my #1 target to help the pass rush from the outside.

Phenomenal post Shark. You just turned me into a big fan of Kruger's. I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday, a diehard Ravens fan, and he told me that he hopes Kruger will stay put. However, with Flacco's contract status up in the air he's not so sure what will happen. Seattle might have a chance to steal him. Like you, he raved about Kruger and thinks that he's only going to get better. A lot of people have pointed to his lack of top notch speed as a reason the Seahawks might possibly not be interested, but I don't think they will discriminate when it comes to getting guys who can rush the passer. They stressed that that's the area of need they need to fix most. Sometimes certain guys just know how to get to the QB, despite limited physical ability.

And he played absolutely huge when it mattered most. 4.5 sacks in the postseason, 1 of those being in the Super Bowl. That's ballsy play right there. I expect that Pete and John will be interested. Hopefully, they get the chance to wow him with what they've built here in Seattle. You'd have to figure that San Fran would be in on him hard too considering he's already playing in a 3-4 and might make a smoother transition. Plus, they'd want to keep him away from a rival as even they know that he'd improve the Seahawks a great deal. I wonder how much $ he'd command.

Damnit Shark, now you've raised my expectations!

joeshaney

Reaction score
chris98251":3vv3byfa said:
joeshaney":3vv3byfa said:
chris98251":3vv3byfa said:
We like guys that are

LOL....
True, but who doesn't.

Thats who we bring in and who sticks, they don't look at names.

Clemons was a house hold star before he came here right, Browner was so well known we had a bidding war with the rest of the league for him. Robinson was so wanted that teams were giving up first round picks to get ahead of us to sign him. Yes being sarcastic here but thats what we look for. They all were or are key players we took from situations where they were not used to their potential or were not given a chance to play to their strengths and all were told in some way they were not good enough.

Oh and I have to keep reminding myself your the closet 49er fan here also so explaning stuff could lead to tantrums and rants if you don't agree.

There isn't a team that doesn't want to find cheap, young, chip on their shoulder players who are physical freaks. That's stating the obvious. The Seahawks surely have been better at finding these guys than the competition (which bodes very well for our future). Still, Seattle has shown a willingness to spend on a Brandon Marshall, Sidney Rice, Zack Miller, or even to a lesser extent Matt Flynn.

The question is simply how much would the player fit in Pete's scheme and how much does the organization want the player. I don't see a need to spend a lot this offseason, but unlike you I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other if they shell out some money for a player they like.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Wait.....did you say 49er fan??
Where did that come from?? There's no team a despise more. The only team I have and will ever root for is the Hawks. You're kinda weird dude....unless this was just a misunderstanding of sorts.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
One FA I like doesn't address a glaring team need on the surface but I think a relevant step to success is Danny Woodhead RB New England.

First the need. Lynch will be 28 in April, and we just had him rush for the most carries of his career (315), with a mobile QB even. I'd much rather see him around 280, not because he isn't tough, but because 300+ wears on a RB's career and I want to eat Skittles for a 2-3 more years. Turbin could get more carries to cure this, but having a return specialist (Pro Bowl or not) eating up $3.4m and a spot where we could add a cheaper threat to the RB depth chart and draft a WR/DB with return talent in the late rounds for chicken feed annoys me.

Enter Woodhead, who is smart, tough, and a competitor. With Cable's help he could learn the zone blocking scheme, and he's a great 3rd down weapon in a system with a capable QB, either rushing or receiving he is very tough to bring down, he pass protects, lines up wherever needed and is smart and veteran enough to adjust and flourish under RW.

Woodhead makes 850k in NE and wouldn't break our bank to sign. It's all about giving Wilson a quality, cheaper target who could upgrade our 3rd down efficiency, is a team player, and a fan favorite in NE. To me saving Lynch's wheels and increasing 3rd down efficiency helps our offense across the board.

3.4 million a year mostly for field position and limited RB touches which helps little if drives bog down. Compared maybe 2 million a year to secure a both a cheap 3rd down upgrade which eliminates a big need for the field position AND a rookie WR/DB return specialist that plays for peanuts.

Let's face it, if Lynch goes down, we have Turbin, but after him, the dropoff is steep and we'll be passing more then we like.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm really curious to see what San Diego does with RFA Danario Alexander. If they are smart, they'll use the 2nd round option on him which is a 1 year, $1.9 million contract. They might try to save some money though and go with a lower tender- not sure how that works though since he was a UDFA.

If Alexander is available, I'd be really interested in acquiring him for a Mike Williams / Ben Obomanu type contract while the rest of the league is obsessing over some of the big names at WR this March. Alexander finished 2012 in a flourish, with all 658 yards and 7 TDs coming in the months of November and December (9 games). Prorated over a full season, that would mean 1170 yards with 12 TDs. He's fast enough to break away for big plays, and he was the only WR to top Golden Tate in yards per target this past season. That's right, Alexander finished #1 in the NFL in that category.

Oh, and he's also 6'5" with long arms. Thought I'd throw that out there.

kearly

Reaction score
Sean Smith probably won't be cheap, but on the off chance his market doesn't develop I'd love to get him. He was one of my favorite corners the year he came out and he's had a strong start in the NFL.

I'd be really curious about Michael Bennett as well if he's not getting huge offers.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Wow only one mention of Richard Seymour?

I really feel like this team can win it all this coming year and some veteran leadership/talent in a few area's could go a long way. Tommy Kelly praises Seymour a lot for helping make huge strides at DT. Seymour gives you a guy with experience and he can play end or in the middle. He was on pace to be the top DT in the league last year before his injury. Seems like the perfect fit if he'll move to another team.

Also I do not like the OLB's in this years draft. I would take a look at Gerald McRath from the Titans. He could be a big bargain, and he's the long rangy and fast type of LB Pete Carroll likes.

mrblitz

Reaction score
we should get randy moss into camp and see what he's got left. he was pretty good for the 49ers.