Got a speeding ticket, Court in two weeks advice?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • I got pulled over going 55 on a 45, in about a 1/4 mile distance the speed limit increases to 55 on the road i was taking so I speed up a bit pre-mature. Does anyone have some good advice or something that will get me out of paying this fine? Any court advice?
    First time offense by me.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Don't flip the judge off.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I don't know of any advice for the courtroom, but speed limit signs don't take effect until you pass them. A lot of people are incorrectly told in Driver's Ed and other places that a speed limit takes effect as soon as you can see the sign.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Take pictures, tell them the truth. They will see it is your first offense and drop it or make the fee next to nothing. Don't lose sleep over it.

Or tell em you had just killed a drifter and were in a hurry to get the decomposing body into a Walmart dumpster as the smell from the trunk was making you ill when mixed with how drunk you were.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Axx wrote:I got pulled over going 55 on a 45, in about a 1/4 mile distance the speed limit increases to 55 on the road i was taking so I speed up a bit pre-mature. Does anyone have some good advice or something that will get me out of paying this fine? Any court advice?

Either you have the best eyes on the planet or you were clearly speeding. ;)
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

• DTexHawk wrote:
    Axx wrote:I got pulled over going 55 on a 45, in about a 1/4 mile distance the speed limit increases to 55 on the road i was taking so I speed up a bit pre-mature. Does anyone have some good advice or something that will get me out of paying this fine? Any court advice?

Either you have the best eyes on the planet or you were clearly speeding. ;)

The cop caught me going down hill with off course makes your car go just a bit faster, but i've driven down that path many times and know that in about a 1/4 of a mile the speed limit increases.

I'm going to try my hardest to not pay these ridiculous ticket cost.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:I'm going to try my hardest to not pay these ridiculous ticket cost.

If you wanted to try your hardest you wouldn't have been speeding :stirthepot:

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• You should probably just mail the fine in, or go to the clerk and pay it. If you go to court, they'll add court costs and fees and you'll pay more.

;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:You should probably just mail the fine in, or go to the clerk and pay it. If you go to court, they'll add court costs and fees and you'll pay more.

;)

If i go to court and even though i'm going to have to plead guilty but could i get the total cost reduced?
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:You should probably just mail the fine in, or go to the clerk and pay it. If you go to court, they'll add court costs and fees and you'll pay more.

;)

Yep. That's what I'd do. Unless you have solid, incontrovertible evidence which could prove you weren't speeding, I'd just suck it up and pay.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    sutz wrote:You should probably just mail the fine in, or go to the clerk and pay it. If you go to court, they'll add court costs and fees and you'll pay more.

;)

Yep. That's what I'd do. Unless you have solid, incontrovertible evidence which could prove you weren't speeding, I'd just suck it up and pay.

What would Richard Sherman do?
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Man up and pay. You broke the law now accept the consequences.

This sounds like DJToy.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Just pay it. I tried to fight my first one for going 7 MPH over and it's pretty much the officers opinion against yours unless you go through the trouble to show lots of evidence.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Lymon gave you good advice.

Here in Spokane if you go to the clerk of the court and pay it and get the right person you can get a break on the total.

But going to court is merely going to get you added costs as the court adds for you appearing.

Buy a radar detector.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• The Radish wrote:Lymon gave you good advice.

Here in Spokane if you go to the clerk of the court and pay it and get the right person you can get a break on the total.

But going to court is merely going to get you added costs as the court adds for you appearing.

Buy a radar detector.

a Police Radar? I have heard of them, but it sounded to good to be true haha.
    Are they legit and legal?
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Lymon gave you good advice.

Buy a radar detector.

a Police Radar? I have heard of them, but it sounded to good to be true haha.
    Are they legit and legal?

Technically, I think they are legal, but good luck ever getting out of a ticket if the cop sees one mounted in your vehicle.

You should probably look into laws in your region to be sure rather than asking a bunch of idiots online.

.NET ain't a great spot for legal advice.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• Axx wrote:I got pulled over going 55 on a 45, in about a 1/4 mile distance the speed limit increases to 55 on the road i was taking so I speed up a bit pre-mature. Does anyone have some good advice or something that will get me out of paying this fine? Any court advice?

In King County WA, you are eligible to have a 'deferred prosecution'. You pay no fine, just court costs, and if you don't get another speeding ticket for a year it gets dropped (no insurance hit). If you DO get another ticket, you pay both fines and have both on your record. You can have a deferred prosecution after another 7 years of ticket-free driving. You're welcome.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• you were doing 10 over right.. where i'm from in Washington state, that's a $113 dollar fine.. pay it and move on..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:you were doing 10 over right.. where i'm from in Washington state, that's a $113 dollar fine.. pay it and move on..

Ha! you got it easy, I just went today and i have to pay 107$ in court fees with an additional 30$ for "defensive drivers class".
    I've heard many horror stories about defensive drivers school and how boring they can be.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• where are you from? so you had to pay $137 + the cost of the ticket?
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:where are you from? so you had to pay $137 + the cost of the ticket?

no, if i take the class they will wipe it from my record ,i do not have to pay a ticket and they don't tell my insurance. For anyone 25(Male) or under has to take defensive driver classes, its mandatory.......
    $100 for court fees is pretty ridiculous though.

But its not as bad as i thought it would be in terms of price.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• ah i see.. that's interesting.. you must not be in Washington.. never heard of manadatory defense classes.. i just got two speeding tickets in the last 6 months, both 10 or under, just payed $113 for each one and it's a done deal..
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Ironic, has issues with cops.................
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

• Always, always, ALWAYS fight a speeding ticket - even if you committed the infraction. I work as a clerk in a courtroom in Pierce County, and almost (im talking about 80% here) of people who contest their tickets get them reduced, if not dismissed, just for showing up. The cost of showing up to fight your ticket (unless you hire an attorney) will never be more than the amount written on your infraction.

And you get a deferral every 7 years in Washington. You get one for a moving violation and one for a non moving violation - a fact many don't know.
    Casper
    NET Rookie

• I've only gotten a couple of tickets in my life but I was able to get them both reduced by at least 50% by going to talk to the judge, admitting guilt & explaining my story. Court fees never seemed to be an issue.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Casper wrote:Always, always, ALWAYS fight a speeding ticket - even if you committed the infraction. I work as a clerk in a courtroom in Pierce County, and almost (im talking about 80% here) of people who contest their tickets get them reduced, if not dismissed, just for showing up. The cost of showing up to fight your ticket (unless you hire an attorney) will never be more than the amount written on your infraction.

And you get a deferral every 7 years in Washington. You get one for a moving violation and one for a non moving violation - a fact many don't know.

That was always my understanding, but I haven't had a ticket in over 25 years, so I was reading this thread thinking my experience was obsolete. Nice to see it validated.

A lot of times, it seems that people can get reductions in fines, or warnings instead of citations, simply by not being an ass. I have seen it, but never understood it, where a cop's decision to write a ticket is made for him by the guy being a smartass or just plain stupid.

Hey Casper, it used to be in Washington that you could plead not guilty, guilty, or guilty-but-I-want-to-explain (I forgot what the real name was for it.) Is that still the case?
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• BlueTalon wrote:Hey Casper, it used to be in Washington that you could plead not guilty, guilty, or guilty-but-I-want-to-explain (I forgot what the real name was for it.) Is that still the case?

That's been my experience.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I got one 2 weeks ago (15 over) and was given the option to plead guilty but also write in my explanation of why, what, when, etc. so I didn't have to go to court. Still waiting to hear back if they will reduce the ticket or not.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I believe you are referring to a mitigation hearing, yes, they still exist here.
    Casper
    NET Rookie

• I know you were trying to go back and save your family from being destroyed but you're supposed to reach 88 in a parking lot... being chased by Libyans.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Casper wrote:I believe you are referring to a mitigation hearing, yes, they still exist here.

That's it. The last ticket I got, I did that, and ended up doing 8 hours of community service in exchange for dropping the charge entirely (no record, no fine, no points, no insurance report).
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information