Would you bring back Kelly Jennings to play nickel?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
BASF":wi1cowoh said:
2003513398.jpg

It is interesting how many people say he never made a play on the ball since he always had about the same amount of passes defensed as Shawn Springs.

You totally made that up.

Jennings had
78 games 48 pass defended 2 interceptions

Springs had
77 games 83 passes defended 20 interceptions

BASF

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1xcouxs8 said:
BASF":1xcouxs8 said:
2003513398.jpg

It is interesting how many people say he never made a play on the ball since he always had about the same amount of passes defensed as Shawn Springs.

Jennings had

Springs had

Not made up. Passes defensed is not available before the year 2001, so I am wondering where you came up with your numbers. After 2001 when the stats are actually available Springs had 4 in only 8 games, 12, 11, (with Washington: 12, 10, 9, 15 then became ineffective with age). Jennings from year to year was 6 in spot duty, 12, 12, 5 in spot duty, and 13. I am extremely curious where you found your passes defensed numbers. I also never mentioned interceptions as Jennings was pathetic in that category no matter what corner you try to compare him too.

EDIT: Just found the numbers (I will have to look into why pro football reference doesn't have them) and Springs had one really good season with 21 PD, other than that he had two or three more than Jennings every season. Not that much of a difference as far as knocking the ball down.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
BASF":2ta2njj0 said:
WestcoastSteve":2ta2njj0 said:
BASF":2ta2njj0 said:
2003513398.jpg

Jennings had

Springs had

Not made up. Passes defensed is not available before the year 2001, so I am wondering where you came up with your numbers. After 2001 when the stats are actually available Springs had 4 in only 8 games, 12, 11, (with Washington: 12, 10, 9, 15 then became ineffective with age). Jennings from year to year was 6 in spot duty, 12, 12, 5 in spot duty, and 13. I am extremely curious where you found your passes defensed numbers. I also never mentioned interceptions as Jennings was pathetic in that category no matter what corner you try to compare him too.

EDIT: Just found the numbers (I will have to look into why pro football reference doesn't have them) and Springs had one really good season with 21 PD, other than that he had two or three more than Jennings every season. Not that much of a difference as far as knocking the ball down.

Springs had low overall PD numbers because he was injured a lot, however when healthy it isn't even close.

Jennings knocked down .6 passes per game played, Springs knocked down a 1.1 passes per game played. So Springs pretty much had twice as many PD's as Jennings, THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE in knocking the ball down.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ktqbvsie said:
Jesus Christ, Sac. Stop trolling our own forum by asking this.

Oh please, this is a brilliant send up of all the stupid, X is available posts. I love it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1bxq8j98 said:
Oh please, this is a brilliant send up of all the stupid, X is available posts. I love it.

Anything that makes me explosively vomit all over my monitor simply by reading the thread title is not brilliant or awesome! >.<

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1jnb8le1 said:
Sarlacc83":1jnb8le1 said:

Anything that makes me explosively vomit all over my monitor simply by reading the thread title is not brilliant or awesome! >.<
Andy Kaufman would disagree. If he weren't dead.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3jlosw1o said:
Jesus Christ, Sac. Stop trolling our own forum by asking this.

What makes you think I'm trolling. I genuinely thought Slim had potential, and I thought it was a shame to see his career go the way it has.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Was gonna make this it's own topic but what the heck, I'll participate in making sure the name "Kelly Jennings" lives on in Seahawks, and .Net especially, lore forever...

I'm not worried about finding a nickel corner, at all. I think Jeremy Lane will be our answer to Casey Hayward in the slot in 2013. He's got excellent speed, perfectly suited for facing off with the smallish/faster receivers that you tend to see lined up in the slot these days. Not only is he fast but he's quick, which is probably more important with regards to playing inside. Add in his physical presence, one of the main reasons he was drafted by the Hawks, and you've got an excellent prospect in Lane as a nickel CB. I love Tru. Still wore his jersey that I got as a gift over 5 years ago multiple times this season as a matter of fact. But as I am retiring my Tru jersey, the Seahawks should retire the thought of Marcus playing the slot again in 2013. I'm actually amazed that he held up for most of the season, so MAYBE he could improve with another year of good health under his belt, but I doubt it. If he wanted to come back, I'd definitely sign him to another 1 year deal and start teaching him to play safety to try and prolong his career as a CB/S. He'd have to know that he's fighting for his job though. Ideally he'd come back as a coach, let's see how it all shakes out.

So as far as Kelly Jennings goes, no thanks. The team has shifted away from Kelly Jennings style cornerbacks and gone with guys in the mold of Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. Physical guys that make it nearly impossible to pick on due to their size and violent approach to the game. I don't think Jennings would be a fit anymore.

What I am interested to see when it comes to the CB's is whether or not the team drafts someone in the later rounds with an eye towards replacing Browner after his contract is up. It'll be interesting to see the type of money that Browner commands and what the market will be like for him considering his age. I feel like the team might take a look around for future cover, even though it'll be tough to try and find a CB that plays with a similar style/has similar size to Browner. He's pretty unique.

No on Jennings though. I think I might be physically ill if they did bring him back. Literally.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2jd4n84y said:
What makes you think I'm trolling. I genuinely thought Slim had potential, and I thought it was a shame to see his career go the way it has.

What does potential have to do with anything if it's never realized? Hell, I bet someone on this forum has the potential to be a good President of the United States. Doesn't really mean anything, now does it? Bottom line is, Kelly Jennings was a speedy little guy that could stick to almost anyone, but he never looked back for the ball and never made plays for the ball; and that's why he sucked as a DB. Their whole job is to try to prevent the person or area they're covering from making a catch. He virtually never did that.

Opposing QB thought process: "Hmm, Jennings is on my man like glue. Time for a bomb!"

NYCoug

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2qfpn8id said:
What does potential have to do with anything if it's never realized? Hell, I bet someone on this forum has the potential to be a good President of the United States. Doesn't really mean anything, now does it?

Woah, woah, woah... hold up buddy. I still haven't given up on that. It's just taking a little bit longer than expected.

Oh, you said President of the UNITED STATES! In my mind it read "President of the Seattle Seahawks." Sorry for the confusion. Carry on.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
GoldenTater81":2ussjrm9 said:
I would not bring back Jennings to bring water to the players when they are coming off the field for timeouts, let alone step onto the field.
Or maybe let him play the penny, because he's no longer able to play up to the nickel,,Not in Seattle anyways :16:

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Let's not be too hasty here guys.

Sac, how much would Kelly be paying us per year to play here? If it gives us enough room to beef up the offense with some expensive free agents, it might be worth the tradeoff to let him sit on the bench and get his ring.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
Roland, that's because admin generally accepts my idiocy as genuine since I am clearly not clever enough to successfully troll anyone.