Would you bring back Kelly Jennings to play nickel?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Jennings not only couldn't tackle and he never looked for the ball, playing defense in the slot is more than just being fast, just because you're guarding slot receivers doesn't mean you don't need ball skills, you have to be able to break up passes often times when face-guarding a receiver. Horrible idea.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3e7y5t4a said:
Jennings did have god coverage skills and that worked for a while until QB's and QC's realized he made zero attempt to play the ball. He was simply a shadow that spooked QB's into thinking their receiver wasn't open.

Like has been said, Jennings is not physical enough to play the nickle spot where he would be asked to support the run defense. He would probably spook QB's from time to time thinking their guy was covered but once they again figure him out, the QB's will simply ignore that Jennings is even there.

Bingo don't forget with the back shoulder throw being so popular now the guy would be toast.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":cwu4iw8w said:
I know he got beat consistently badly on the outside, but he was always in the receivers hip pocket.

Would he be ok in the slot against smaller pass catchers?
HELL TO THE NO! Took 2 years too long to get rid of him the first time!

chris98251

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1flgsshk said:
He had one good year here...

Yeah If I remember there was one year he was injured and rarely saw the field.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I don't think any player caused more frustration for me than Jennings. . . Always a finger nail away. Always in position it was incredible how close he was every time.

BASF

Reaction score
2003513398.jpg

In 91 career games, this is the only real impact play that he has made. It is interesting how many people say he never made a play on the ball since he always had about the same amount of passes defensed as Shawn Springs who most of the fans around here who never saw Dave Brown play considered to be our best corner until Richard Sherman came along. He simply gave up too many catches.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
Slim could have been the man. It really is unfortunate what happened. Good rookie year then *poof*

King Dog

Reaction score
Here's what I remember about Jennings. Yes he was always in his guys hip pocket, and was always in perfect position to tackle him AFTER he made the catch. I'm not sure I recall him ever defensing a ball thrown his way.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
91 career games and he's amassed an astounding 2 interceptions and 1 forced fumble. The fact that he got burned constantly wouldn't be quite so bad if he could force a turnover more than once every 3 years (which is sadly actual average.)