What to do at OLB?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Scottemojo":10p8hqvp said:
Hill cost us two games last year. No thanks. His run instincts are still good, his wheels are falling off, and his zone coverage handoff instincts are abysmal.
My biggest concern is I am not seeing very many college backers with great gap integrity instincts. Maybe it's because so few college teams run the ball up the middle gaps anymore.

I really like Sio Moore as an all around player. I also like a 6th or 7th on AJ Klein, who while not fast, would be an upgrade over Hill from day one. I think he might be the most instinctual linebacker in the draft. And he can cover some.

Precisely what I've pointed out as well. A replacement for Hill at WILL ranks right up there on the priority list next to a new 3 Technique DT. I would agree with your assessment of the college LB's as well. That said, I DO like a couple of names in this year's draft quite a lot. Sio Moore is a name that I could see the Hawks taking in the 2nd or 3rd Round. Another name that I personally really like (and that I could actually see them taking at #25 or trading down to take if most of the top DT's and DE's are gone by that point) is Khaseem Greene of Rutgers. This guy could really fit the bill of what the Hawks are looking for at that WILL position. The more I study Greene and learn about him ... the more that I see him as being a real Russell Wilson type from the LB position (great leadership and intangibles). Those are the 2 names that I'm seeing as making the most sense for the Hawks at this point in time.

BASF

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ttzj6ue said:
Hill cost us two games last year. No thanks. His run instincts are still good, his wheels are falling off, and his zone coverage handoff instincts are abysmal.
My biggest concern is I am not seeing very many college backers with great gap integrity instincts. Maybe it's because so few college teams run the ball up the middle gaps anymore.

I really like Sio Moore as an all around player. I also like a 6th or 7th on AJ Klein, who while not fast, would be an upgrade over Hill from day one. I think he might be the most instinctual linebacker in the draft. And he can cover some.

You can add in a third and goal play where he hit Stephens-Howling at the two yard line and got pushed back into the end zone in a game we lost by four.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Either way we need to add depth, as much as I like Smith he's injury prone so if he's the option we need insurance behind him.

Veilside

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":g1q0r8gk said:
Scottemojo":g1q0r8gk said:

Precisely what I've pointed out as well. A replacement for Hill at WILL ranks right up there on the priority list next to a new 3 Technique DT. I would agree with your assessment of the college LB's as well. That said, I DO like a couple of names in this year's draft quite a lot. Sio Moore is a name that I could see the Hawks taking in the 2nd or 3rd Round. Another name that I personally really like (and that I could actually see them taking at #25 or trading down to take if most of the top DT's and DE's are gone by that point) is Khaseem Greene of Rutgers. This guy could really fit the bill of what the Hawks are looking for at that WILL position. The more I study Greene and learn about him ... the more that I see him as being a real Russell Wilson type from the LB position (great leadership and intangibles). Those are the 2 names that I'm seeing as making the most sense for the Hawks at this point in time.

I really like Greene too. I'm hoping he would fall to us in the 2nd though.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
If Hill is cheap keep him as backup. Who is the starter Smith?

Hawks46

Reaction score
It really depends on FA. I think our biggest needs on defense are 3 Tech DT, DE, and OLB.

The most glaring weakness is DE. DT, well they could resign Jones; I don't think that would be too expensive. When he was out, our QB pressure took a noticable hit. OLB....the times I saw Morgan step it, I was impressed. I dunno if he's as good at WILL as SAM, but he filled in nicely for Wright and he seems athletic enough. Smith has also seemed decent but not impressive.

If we can fill the gap at DT, use the pick for a LB. I'd love to see us pick up a guy like Bennett from the Bucs, but I'm not sure how much he would cost. I like Starks from Miami and stylistically I think he fits.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I think we see something like what we saw with Barrett Rudd and Bobby Wagner; bring in a capable journeyman, draft a rook fairly high (2nd or 3rd round) and give Malcolm a chance to compete with those two guys (whoever they end up being).

sutz

Reaction score
CANHawk":1y67mgvd said:
I think we see something like what we saw with Barrett Rudd and Bobby Wagner; bring in a capable journeyman, draft a rook fairly high (2nd or 3rd round) and give Malcolm a chance to compete with those two guys (whoever they end up being).
What? You expect Pete to handle this situation just like he's handled all the other similar situations so far?

(Yeah that deserves a :sarcasm_off:)

;)

joeshaney

Reaction score
Not feeling Smith. He is a liability against the run (also the cause of our demise last year).
Resign Hill or another cheap veteran....
Draft a 2/3rd round lb to compete for the job.

I'm also curious about Anthony Spencer. If he could play lb in the 4-3 he'd be a huge get.
That's a big if and would cost us, but he wouldn't need to be a 3 down lb and has pass rush ability. Pass rush is worth the $$. Scheme is the major??

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
McGruff":735begp2 said:
IIRC, our third linebacker only plays 35% of the defensive snaps . . . Go with Smith and a late round guy.

I obviously agree 100% that with Hill as starting WILL, he has only been on the field for 35% of the time. But is that because it is part of the defensive philosophy of the Seahawks? or if they had an option available to them other than Hill - someone who could play both the pass and the run with excellence - would they change their personnel packages and have the WILL on the field on passing downs?

If having the WILL on the field only 35% of the snaps is a core value, then clearly it would seem silly to waste a top draft pick on a first-down only player.....

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":8aucn3j2 said:
IIRC, our third linebacker only plays 35% of the defensive snaps . . . Go with Smith and a late round guy.

Do you have a link to this or, even better, a link to a site that breaksdown all Seahawk snaps by formation? I'm curious.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3eg541cp said:
McGruff":3eg541cp said:

Do you have a link to this or, even better, a link to a site that breaksdown all Seahawk snaps by formation? I'm curious.

Hill actually played 50% of the Seahawks defensive snaps. Smith 17% so you can estimate 33% of the time the Hawks don't use their WLB.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

McGruff

Reaction score
I knowmSnado had a link to how often the Hawks were in Nicke or Dime D, and it was a lot . . . But I can't remember where it was.

gmor

Reaction score
kidhawk":1d1604xc said:
I'm just kind of curious as to the pulse of NET Nation as to what we should do at the Linebacker position most recently vacated by Leroy Hill.

I'm sure these aren't ALL the options, but these seem the best ones IMO (in no particular order)

1) Re-sign Hill to another one year deal and see if Smith can compete and win the job

2) Tentatively give the job to Smith and draft a middle to late round guy to compete and/or backup

3) Draft someone high in the draft (1st 2 rounds) to hopefully win the starting position leaving Smith as a backup

4) Find someone through Free agency

What does the NET Nation think is our best option to try to solidify or improve this position?

1 & 3 (3rd round). Hill will be cheap. Let them com "pete".