Why do ISP's suck in the US?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Why do ISP's suck in the US?
Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:18 am
  • Why is it so hard to get consistent service from ISP's in the US? Why do we fail so much, especially in metropolitan areas?

Having the choice between two evil, terrible companies suck. One choice for DSL and one choice for Cable internet? How is that not a monopoly...

/rant
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Re: Why do ISP's suck in the US?
Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:41 pm
  • They are monopolies. But they are regulated monopolies so some how that makes it okay. That is, your local government decides which company can offer phone service and which company can offer cable service.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 pm
  • That's right, it's the government's fault. :roll:

Yes, there are monopolies, actually they tend to be exclusive rights contracts between local governments and the media/internet suppliers.

Many other countries have basically socialized public access to high speed internet. Can't do that here, though. Too much money involved in preventing it and forcing us to pay through the hind end (in lounge-speak, that is).
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:10 pm
  • Is anyone else using frontier fios for Internet and having the connection completely stop 20x a day? Then for days it can be fine.

Stay away from frontier fios. I know this was slightly OT but I'm just flippin annoyed right now.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:11 pm
  • My Frontier FIOS in Kirkland has been great. Had it for 1.5 years. I had it at a separate location about 4 years ago, was great there, too. You need to get heavily involved with the upper-tier FIOS techs, Msfann, and try to get to the root problem.

Also, the main reason why ISPs suck in metropolitan areas is lobbying. Lobbying keeps the FCC "in line" with corporate interests, and the fat cat politicians just keep making bank in all kinds of quasi-legal, and illegal, ways.

We need to force open internet competition like what the European Union has. (At least, I think it's them; it might be England?) Anyways, fiber in the ground has to be shared with any ISP that wants it at a market-friendly rate, so competition went through the roof, and you can get 100-megabit cable with no limits for like $60/mo in places like London.

I really hate politicians. (Except Kevin Spacey in that new Netflix show...lol.)
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information