Don't sleep on Jake Long

burgers_59

Reaction score
The sexiest pick for the Seahawks in free agency would be a guy like Mike Wallace, someone who can stretch the field and help this offense take it to another level. And don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Hawks pick him up in the offseason for a good price.

But I think that Jake Long would be an excellent pickup for the Hawks this offseason as well, sure he had an off year at the Left Tackle position, but imagine him at the right tackle spot for the Hawks. He brings a much better ability to protect the passer than Breno does. Long slid in protection in pass blocking this year, but still shows greater promise, and has an overall better set of skills than Breno.

I don't know if Long would jump at the opportunity to play on the right side when playing on the left side made him the number one overall pick and a very rich man, but I believe that Pete and John can persuade him. Long is a big Michigan tackle, a guy that played in the elements and dwelled in every way, why not come back to a place where it rains and gets cold.

Long could open up a lot of things for this offense, he can buy time for Russell, he can be a good man to run behind on stretch plays to the right side. And he can not get so many penalties.

I love Breno's style of play, but I think that with Long we won't have to keep a tight in to block so much on run and pass plays, Long would be able to give Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy more opportunities. I just think this move would make a lot of sense, FOR THE RIGHT PRICE.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
It would be a great get, but in reality he would cost us waaaaaay to much, especially if we want to sign some of younger guys to extensions this offseason as well.

Zowert

Reaction score
If he can play LT, then he should be able to play RT. Obviously. However, his price tag will be ridiculous...

Decimation

Reaction score
For cheap, it would make sense. But it's too much money towards the cap, so no.

drdiags

Reaction score
Not realistic but would be a sweet lineup. Though who plays RT? You are paying Okung close to 11M capwise. Long wants top LT money, no one is talking him out of that to play RT.

Say goodbye to a few high priced players if this happens

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He's going to be making LT money. Not worth it compared to the relatively cheap contract Breno is signed up for.

Axx

Reaction score
wonder what happen to team chemistry when a rookie team with underpaid veterans(for the most part) get a veteran come in who makes more than all of them.

lukerguy

Reaction score
This thread would have been better if it was entitled, "Don't sleep Long on Jake" HEY-OH

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Funny, even though I expect Jake Long to be a free agent, two off seasons with these guys have conditioned me to not even consider him as a possibility in Seattle.

bighawk

Reaction score
Simply put Jake Long to Seattle ain't happening this guy was a former #1 pick overall he will command top dollar from desperate teams looking for a left tackle.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
lukerguy":1cd7bgtx said:
This thread would have been better if it was entitled, "Don't sleep Long on Jake" HEY-OH

Funny. I musta be dyslixec. At first I thought the title was "Dont sleep on Jake's Lawn".

Rat

Reaction score
If there was no salary cap, I'd be all over that. Even still, I think cap hell is very, very overrated, but Long is going to want $10 million plus per year, and I just don't think that's a good use of resources. Even if there's a decent chance that it wouldn't effect our future cap anyway.

firebee

Reaction score
I think some people are waayyy off base with our O-Line. I'm good with Breno at RT. He made a lot of stupid mistakes early on in the year, but he's a pro bowl caliber OT when he doesn't make mistakes and he played like a pro bowl caliber right tackle the 2nd half of the season. People need to rewatch the games and see who's consistently downfield making blocks for the ball-carrier, albeit Wilson or Lynch. Breno also has a demeanor and aggressiveness that compliments our offensive style very well. Breno's focus and discipline is an issue, but he's a monster at RT when he's focused on the game.

If anything, I think improving the interior play is the biggest concern with our O-Line. Our tackles didn't have problems with protecting Wilson from the edge rush, unless Wilson dropped too deep, which he has a tendency to do. Our interior line, on the other hand, let defenders come through free repeatedly throughout the year. Fortunately Wilson was elusive enough to avoid a lot of those sacks, but interior pressure was the biggest problem for our line. If we had just about any other QB in the league, our line would've led the league in sacks allowed. I also realize our line is still really young with a lot of room to develop, but I'm not going to pretend like everything was rosy with our offensive line last year. I have to admit though... Sweezy is a beast and I love the way he's developing.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bestfightstory":cdusjc1j said:
But he dwelled in every way!!!

I'm dwelling right now, but not sure if I'm doing it in 'every way.' For the life of me, i can't figure out what word the OP intended to use. Surely he didn't mean to use dwell.

OP: "I totally meant that, and stop calling me shirley!"

Yeah, Long either lives or hesitates really well :stirthepot:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
So you want to spend 'at least' $10m annually (that's what he's asking for) on a right tackle?

Jesus wept.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
HawkFan72":87p7wfs3 said:
He's going to be making LT money. Not worth it compared to the relatively cheap contract Breno is signed up for.

Spot on, Breno's value/performance is incredible. Doesn't make sense to spend LT money on a RT.