Getting Sidney Rice the ball more

Bobblehead

Reaction score
mistaowen":z6eglrld said:
Disclaimer, obviously I have no say in this matter since I am not Russell Wilson nor the offensive coordinator, but I just watched a video of RW highlights and Sidney made some ridiculous catches this season. I think one of the biggest things that could happen this off season is RW and Sidney developing more chemistry so he can truly be a #1 target for us. There were some throws this year that had no reason to be caught and he just snagged it out of the air. If they can grow together so RW doesn't need to run around in the backfield looking for a pass (even though that's one of his best talents), I don't see why he couldn't become a 10+ pass attempt per game receiver for us.

In the final few weeks of our season there were a few plays where Sidney was wiiiide open and due to pressure/not seeing him he didn't get the ball. I am hoping film studies over the offseason with the WR crew can make them a dominate force in the NFL for years to come.

Getting a better defense so our offense is on the field more.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2a7j94v9 said:
Weird. I was going to make this same thread. Rewatching SNF Game right now. One thing I also noticed is Side gets pissed when he's wide open and gets vocal with RW, which is what I want but I couldn't help but wonder if the chemistry between them is 'off' somehow.
I suspect that not only has Tate spent more time with Wilson in the past, but that he makes every effort to 'come back' when Wilson is under pressure, or that he gives his all at blocking for Wilson when he tucks the ball and runs.
This off-Season should give everyone time to work out some of the bugs in their mini-system.
Roddy White has nothing on Rice for making sensational catches, but Roddy is in a pass happy system, so of course he's going to see more targeting.
Like Flying Greg said, the Offensive Line learns how to afford Wilson just a few more seconds, and he'll have time to find Rice, or other open Recievers/Tight Ends.
You can bet that nobody's at a standstill at the V-MAC this Year, least of all Russell Wilson ;)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Too much second guessing here. Read progression is an element conveniently ignored in arguements of this nature. And a possiblity a of a sure first down vs chancy big play to a supposed "wide-open" Rice is also being conveniently ignored.
Rice is not "wide open" unless that happens early enough in the read progression, and why not go for the sure 1st down via legs or short pass if it's there? We have one of the most efficient QB's in the league for a reason. I don't want to see RW start making ill-advised, Favre-esche throws (and picks) just because Sidney is flapping his arms.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Sidney Rice from what I have seen doesn't give off a diva/selfish attitude at all. Selfish players don't put their bodies on the line against like Chicago like he did. Now him flapping his arms yelling at a teammate isn't something you want to see but players are human and emotions will get the best of them sometimes

Sidney wasn't cleared for full contact until preseason, and Russell got hardly any reps for most of training camp, and barely played with our starters during preseason. So not being on the same page is to be expected. With Wilson getting all the snaps during minicamps/training camp this year and working out together with our WR/TE, I expect none of this to be a problem next year.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":ce99pjwg said:
Too much second guessing here. Read progression is an element conveniently ignored in arguements of this nature. And a possiblity a of a sure first down vs chancy big play to a supposed "wide-open" Rice is also being conveniently ignored.
Rice is not "wide open" unless that happens early enough in the read progression, and why not go for the sure 1st down via legs or short pass if it's there? We have one of the most efficient QB's in the league for a reason. I don't want to see RW start making ill-advised, Favre-esche throws (and picks) just because Sidney is flapping his arms.

I see what you're saying, and you're right, but that's not to say Wilson hasn't missed any reads or taken advantage of the right reads. If Rice is running down the field on a post route with one-on-one coverage and inside position, that's an opportunity for a big play. Of course it's a risk knowing a non-perfect throw could result in Rice and the DB fighting for the ball, but because of the situation, Rice has the advantage to win that battle. I wouldn't call those ill-advised. Just a calculated risk.

Zowert

Reaction score
Sidney Rice is definitely paid like a #1 receiver in the NFL. He plays like it at times. So, the chemistry is definitely a huge part of the deal. Whatever it was between Sidney Rice and Brett Favre, during Favre's first season with the Vikings, I really hope Wilson and Rice can duplicate. That would be awesome..

BASF

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":h0a31kp6 said:

Preach it brother, preach it. One thing that should be noted is that the throws to Rice that are being advocated did start during the middle of the season. However, Sidney made a horrible decision in the Lions game diving for the ball while the Lions safety was attacking the ball at it's highest point and got the interception. Those shots to Rice started to taper off after that.