Jermichael Finley... What say you to thee?

NYCoug

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8929062/jermichael-finley-unsure-return-green-bay-packers

The Packers have a decision to make about the talented Finley, who is due a $3 million roster bonus in March. If the Packers trade or release Finley, they would save $8.25 million.

"It's the nature of the business," Finley told the newspaper. "If there's a guy that's overpaid or that they think is overpaid, they'll ask for a pay cut. There's no doubt that I want to be there for life. But it's a business and the business will tell you otherwise. I would say on the business front, it's 50/50. But if it was up to me or anybody in my circle, I would love to be back."

So if he does get released, obviously a ton of teams will be interested. There's the obvious connection to John Schneider and Green Bay, but then you also have the fact that Finley has been a punkass for most of his career. Mike McCarthy said he was "a different man" down the stretch last season and spoke positively about Finley's maturation.

No doubt he'd be the perfect guy the Hawks are looking for at Tight End. Question is, would he be cancerous, would he take a role as Miller's "backup" even though he'd get his share of touches, and would he be a punk?

If he did get released, I'm sure Seattle would do their due diligence on him but I see someone else breaking the bank for him. Some food for thought though.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Every free agent that becomes available always has one major red flag that needs to be dealt with: he's become available.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Do you guys hate seeing McCoy drop passes? If you do, then you'll absolutely loathe Finley.

The Outfield

Reaction score
What say thee?*
What say you to thee? = What say you to you?

That said, I don't think we should spend big bucks on a tight end when we have Miller already. We should spend that money elsewhere.

jackflash50

Reaction score
Not only past attitude issues but past knee issues....Don't like it. Miller came on strong for the Hawks at the end of last year.

hawker84

Reaction score
i'm happy with both our current TE's ... would be ecstatic if McCoy caught the ball more regularly. but he's a play maker and Millers an all pro next year..

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Maybe, don't pay him more than what he is worth and structure the contract in a way that Seattle could dump him if it doesn't work out. I still like Miller and McCoy as the 1 and 2 but if the contract makes sense, adding Finely could be sweet for that joker mismatch TE.

We don't really need him though, a better option is likely available in the draft and some team will overpay, someone always does.

CANHawk

Reaction score
No thank you. Sure Finley's a good TE, but he's going to demand some pretty big coin and we're actually set up very nicely with Miller, McCoy and Morrah. Yes I said Morrah. I think he's going to be a big contributor next year. Dude is an ATH-A-LETE. I look forward to seeing what Russ will be able to accomplish with a speedy big dude like Morrah lined up at H-Back.

Basis4day

Reaction score
CANHawk":1aagnan0 said:
No thank you. Sure Finley's a good TE, but he's going to demand some pretty big coin and we're actually set up very nicely with Miller, McCoy and Morrah. Yes I said Morrah. I think he's going to be a big contributor next year. Dude is an ATH-A-LETE. I look forward to seeing what Russ will be able to accomplish with a speedy big dude like Morrah lined up at H-Back.

Isn't Morrah a FA now?

CANHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":gka4fp65 said:
CANHawk":gka4fp65 said:

Isn't Morrah a FA now?

Yes... but I'm operating under the assumption we bring him back. I don't think they go through the trouble of doing that whole injured/waived/IR/protected/WTF they did with him last year if he wasn't in the plans moving forward. I think they did what they did with him last year so he could still work with the team and the team trainers. If he wasn't a part of the plan (or they weren't at least considering him to be a part of the plan) they would have just let him loose completely.

Kinda like they keep doing with Dexter Davis, only I expect Morrah to actually contribute at some point.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Finley: 2013: $4.45 million (+ $3.5 million roster bonus due in March), 2014: Free Agent

Miller: 2013: $6.8 million (+ $3 million roster bonus due 3/22),

Really want 17 million tied up in tight ends next year?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Sure, if he he is willing to take a small contract. Too many potential problems to give him a big time contract.

sutz

Reaction score
Think I'd rather stay with what we have and draft a rook. A lot cheaper and probably more up-side/ceiling.

Rat

Reaction score
If our coaches think they could get the most out of Finley, it could be a signing with enormous upside. We'd instantly be the NFC's answer to Gronkowski-Hernandez.

Latest posts