Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Post subject: Nick Florence is going pro in something other than sports
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:22 am 
* NET Cynic *

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/190170261.html

Baylor QB Nick Florence is going to finish his Master's rather than pursue an NFL career. I was pretty impressed with what I saw from him this year. He, along with Zac Dysert, were my favorite late-round QB prospects this year (although I could see Dysert rising).

Stupid, IMO. Florence would only need to play three years to secure his pension. With his college production and RG3 likely inflating Florence's value a bit, I thought he had a good shot at going in the 6th round area. He could spend three seasons holding a clipboard and cashing huge checks, and then retire with a pension. I believe that's what David Greene did. Florence would still only be in his mid-20s by then, and could easily go back and complete his Master's degree.

If this is what he really wants to do, good for him, I guess, but it seems very short-sighted to me. I'll bet he ends up regretting it.

Post subject: Re: Nick Florence is going pro in something other than sports
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

He's doing what he feels is best for him. Only he can decide that. Russell Wilson decided it was better for him to play baseball but then came back to football. He's young enough to change his mind down the road.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm 
* NET Cynic *

hawkfan68 wrote:
He's young enough to change his mind down the road.

I don't know about that. The NFL window is only open so long.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:40 pm 
NET Veteran

Good for him, but I bet he ends up regretting it as well. I had a chance to play some college baseball and ended up not doing it. Now, I wish I had.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm 
* NET Cynic *

hawkfan68 wrote:
Russell Wilson decided it was better for him to play baseball but then came back to football.

Wasn't Russell hitting like .235 in Single A ball? I'm not sure the decision wasn't made for him.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:13 pm 
* NET Baller *

There's no guarantee that he was going to make a team and get another shot, nothing wrong with his decision at all. If his heart isn't 100% in football, then it's probably for the best that he didn't choose the profession.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]