Seahawks talk Dwight Freeney

CANHawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":1adiq3uw said:
MontanaHawk05":1adiq3uw said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":1adiq3uw said:
No, I want to build through the draft; we've got vets like Red, Clemons, and such to help the rookies. The team needs to be built right, through the draft, to be a team with lasting success.

Clemons was a free agent and has provided most of our sacks since he arrived.

This team has already been built mostly through the draft. It's not as if you can't supplement the process with a few well-placed free agents. You just don't want to rely on them like Rusk-hell.

I agree with your post Montana, but Clemons was acquired in the Darryl Tapp trade. Still, not through the draft, but not an FA either.

Didn't we let Clem wander around in FA before we re-signed him? Either way I know he's not working under the same contract he had when we got him from Philly.

As for a guy like Freeny or Osi, they'd be band-aids against Clem's knee. I'm confident that Bruce will be a great Leo, but likely needs another season of work on his game to become a 3 down Leo. Having guys like Osi or Freeny (I vote for Osi btw) to rotate in would help Bruce with his learning curve. I think Clem will come back, but odds are pretty good that he'll probably be on the PUP to start the year. I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable going into the season with only Irvin and Scruggs ready to play the Leo.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Clemons held out "kind of' and got that extension before playing his final year, 2012.

I think Freeney would be a good fit for LEO or Irvin's situational role, perhaps they could both rotate? I don't think Schneider will make a reactionary move like that. They will add someone who everyone doesn't see as a starter like Clemons was before we traded for him. They would probably be more interested in a teams practice squad player listed as OLB/DE before paying big cash to Freeney. Freeney would need to get a contract like 2 mil a year max from Seattle for it to make sense. Don't see it happening, but not because I don't think Freeney could play the Irvin role.

I say, let Irvin play full time Leo and pick up another potential guy that can take Irvin's spot from last year or rotate with Irvin at Clemons spot. You drafted him to be the LEO, don't throw him under the bus after one season, one game against the top seed in the NFC.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would rather go with someone like Osi. But really, we need to get some type of FA to fill some on the holes that are gonna open up on our dline.

USChawk

Reaction score
Montana is spot on. We are trying to win a Super Bowl. The team has been built through the draft now sign a couple pieces that would help us get to the top of the mountain if they are available. It's HARD to win the big one to not sign that piece to put you over the top is foolhardy.

zayden185

Reaction score
benbu75":2eo6swt5 said:
He might end up in a Seahawks uniform, but I don't see them jumping at him, particularly after 5 sacks and 12 tackles in 2012. Maybe it was because of the transition from DE to OLB, but I'm more inclined to think it is because he is 33 years old.

Was playing out of position in 3-4 switch

Pure speed off the edge...period

CANHawk

Reaction score
12th_Bob":202rsluh said:
Clemons held out "kind of' and got that extension before playing his final year, 2012.

I think Freeney would be a good fit for LEO or Irvin's situational role, perhaps they could both rotate? I don't think Schneider will make a reactionary move like that. They will add someone who everyone doesn't see as a starter like Clemons was before we traded for him. They would probably be more interested in a teams practice squad player listed as OLB/DE before paying big cash to Freeney. Freeney would need to get a contract like 2 mil a year max from Seattle for it to make sense. Don't see it happening, but not because I don't think Freeney could play the Irvin role.

I say, let Irvin play full time Leo and pick up another potential guy that can take Irvin's spot from last year or rotate with Irvin at Clemons spot. You drafted him to be the LEO, don't throw him under the bus after one season, one game against the top seed in the NFC.

Yeah, but the team is built to make a run now. Building through the draft time is over. That's not to say we can't keep building and developing through the draft, but the starters are all here and are all entering the primes of their careers. It's GO time. That "next year" that we've all been waiting for is here... THIS year.

I agree that all that Irvin is missing at this point is reps, but unlike Russell last year (2012), I don't think we can afford to let Irvin take his lumps developing in-game. Let Irvin play (hell, let Irvin START) but if Clem isn't available, we'd be better served by having a proven vet who can rotate in and get the job done in situations where Irvin may struggle.

benbu75

Reaction score
zayden185":256m6wtk said:
benbu75":256m6wtk said:
He might end up in a Seahawks uniform, but I don't see them jumping at him, particularly after 5 sacks and 12 tackles in 2012. Maybe it was because of the transition from DE to OLB, but I'm more inclined to think it is because he is 33 years old.

Was playing out of position in 3-4 switch

Pure speed off the edge...period

The problem is that the Seahawks defensive scheme is very 3-4 like, with 3 large run-stopping linemen with the weak side defensive end (the LEO) being a smaller edge rusher, much like a 3-4 OLB. Clemons is 6-3, 255; Irvin is 6-3, 248. Freeney is 6-1, 268, which is great for a Tampa 2 DE, but not for a LEO. I'm afraid Freeney would not be much better of a fit in the Seahawks scheme than he was in the new Indy 3-4

Looking at the DE that are available, I think the Seahawks should go after Cliff Avril and probably part ways with Clem. Avril is 6-3, 260 and all of his measurables are fairly comparable to Bruce Irvin.

The Radish

Reaction score
Am I the only one that caught the "could" part of that statement?

Hell Pigs "could" fly

Hell "could" freeze over.

But this happen? doubtful.

I just don't see them shelling out anywhere near that kind of moneys for this guy.

:roll:

Smoke

Reaction score
I say we throw everything we got at improving the pass rush. Sign aging free agents, Draft a couple of DT's and DE's. We fix our pass rush, and holy mother of the lord, we dance....

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Smoke":10nczcqt said:
I say we throw everything we got at improving the pass rush. Sign aging free agents, Draft a couple of DT's and DE's. We fix our pass rush, and holy mother of the lord, we dance....

We would be death to opposing offenses. Sure would be nice to find a DT that can disrupt AND stop the run effectively when need be. It's amazing how Clem got the sacks he did with so little help from the interior. Irvin would be much more effective if we had a pocket pusher.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are going for a string of chances to win the Super Bowl not a one and done with expensive free agents, I see so many new posters come in and want to play Madden 2013. We were two games away this year with a restrictor plate on Wilson, I think without it we may have been in the dance. But we were close with what we have and all them are going to be back as a core of this team.

So take all those expensive over the hill free agent fantasys and put them on the Cardinals or Jaguars, it won't be here.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think Freeney could be productive in a bridge manner at the LEO.

I'd be interested but if the guy really wants to be in Indy, you have to wonder about his motivation. At 33, he'd have to be really motivated to increase his production, although last year was a bit of an anomaly since he played out of position.