If/when we get rid of Flynn, would you want Hasselbeck back?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I think its just a matter of time before Flynn leaves to start somewhere. Hes young, servicable, and wants to start.

If hasselbeck was released from Tenn, would you want him to sign here and back up wilson?

personally I would love to see him finish his career here, and now our line is good enough for him not to die if he needed to play. Hes a class act with a lot of experience, and he has a great competetive attitude.

what say you?

(sorry if this has been discussed, i didnt see it anywhere)
    "Beast mode was engaged, and when beast mode is engaged, no one can stop him"-- Some skins fan
    "I envy that hard hitting Seahawks D. Love the attitude they play with." Justblaze2729 Denver Fan
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

• I am craving scones...
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Yes, I want Matt to retire a seahawk and strongly possibly retire with a super bowl ring he deserved.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Hell yes
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Absolutely. Matt is one hell of a class act. And he's still a pretty decent backup. I'd be so happy to get him back.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Normally I'd say yes, as I love Hasselbeck. And I would have said yes at the beginning of the season too. But now with the read option I don't think he'd fit well.

Actually, you know what? I'm changing my mind as I write this. Yes I'd love to have him as a backup. A good place to end his career. And he doesn't necessarily need to be able to run the read-option. It's just a scheme that we can play without as well. Also, when it comes to the read-option, it's all about QB judgement. So even if we had a QB with the athletic capabilities, it's very doubtful that he'd be as smart with it as Wilson- making the correct reads, etc. Therefore, we may be better off with Hasselbeck anyway.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Jesus how many times is this same thread going to pop up?

Hasselbeck is gone. That ship has sailed. It's over!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:Jesus how many times is this same thread going to pop up?

Hasselbeck is gone. That ship has sailed. It's over!

"Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• I would be ok with it, but really I would want someone that could also run the read option since it is a growing part of our playbook now.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I'd prefer someone more durable.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• He could read it, but the option portion would be a little shaky.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• I wouldn't mind either, I think Wilson could learn some things from hass.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Nope. I have seen teams sign QBs near their 40's for backup but it usually doesn't end well. Love Matt, hopes he decides to retire in the area and be involved with the team somehow, but do not want to see him out there struggling like he did toward the end of his stay here.

Though he could come back and give the "Charlie, Charlie ..." chanters the finger as he hobbles off the field one last time.

No to TJack, Matt, Vick, Vince Young and Seneca Wallace. ILoveSafeco's head would explode if Wallace came back here.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Scones sound good.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

• Scones... maybe a crumpet. Cheddar biscuits and sausage gravy.... our just some kale & quinoa.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Msfann wrote:I wouldn't mind either, I think Wilson could learn some things from hass.

I think it very well may be the other way around.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• We wouldn't run the read option with a backup unless we had 100% confidence in our third stringer. No way you risk losing your backup even if they were capable of running it, which is highly unlikely.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Scones... maybe a crumpet. Cheddar biscuits and sausage gravy.... our just some kale & quinoa.

just had a strawberry and creamcheese danish, delish.... and coffee..

no to Hass, but what the hell is wrong with bringing back Seneca Wallace..? he's the perfect poor man's Russell last name wilson...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Has it been confirmed that Flynn wants out? I know JS said he would listen to offers, but he also said that the situation is acceptable. That they are in a unique position. I want that QUALITY backup BEFORE Flynn goes anywhere.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• loafoftatupu wrote:Has it been confirmed that Flynn wants out? I know JS said he would listen to offers, but he also said that the situation is acceptable. That they are in a unique position. I want that QUALITY backup BEFORE Flynn goes anywhere.

Honestly, in this scenario it doesn't really matter what Flynn "wants". If they get a good offer, I doubt they will ask him if it's ok to move him lol.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• No, we need someone who could at least ATTEMPT to work with this offensive gameplan.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• I dont see what would be the point of signing an old QB who can't run our normal offense and who would be pricier than most backup QBs. Why not do what the Pats/Packers do and draft a guy who you may eventually be able to flip to another team for draft picks? (Like Pats did with Cassell, Packers tried to do with Flynn)
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• The idea of getting someone (outside the draft) who can step in and run our offense is not going to happen. It's an insult to Wilson to think you could. The option part of the read/option is where most athletic QB's fail. It is why this offense is so new. It takes a special QB to be able to execute it and even then requires time in the system in real game situations to become proficient at it.

If Wilson goes down we will revert to a traditional style of offense that functions best with a knowledgeable vet who can get the ball out quickly while reading defenses and can get comfortable with a new set of receivers quickly. He doesn't need to be super durable because he wouldn't see more than spot duty.

Give me a guy who can execute a traditional offence, can motivate the team, is happy to be here as our backup and is a true team leader all day long. Throw in a history of being at his best come playoff time and if the money is reasonable, you do it in a second.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck would be a great guy to have around for Wilson. I'd worry about him as a back-up coming in and holding up, but he also hasn't been hit too hard recently.

Lets face it, whomever our backup is, if they end up having to play for an extended period of time it's going to suck. our chances go down and it's just not as fun to watch.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Look at the Skins. Two young QBs and the backup has shown he can handle a spot start or emergency fill-in. The backup was a 3rd round pick. Maybe the Seahawks can replicate that and find a young QB to fill the backup role? Sort of like what Flynn was with the Packers? Cousins most likely will have to move on after his rookie contract but he has been a nice insurance policy and most likely starts off next year as the starter.

Dennis Dixon started off for Ben when he was suspended, only to be replaced by Batch but the team took a chance on a young QB, though I don't think he was a rookie when he got his chance. Just random thoughts generated by the idea of a backup having to fill in.

The sentiment that the team is screwed if the backup plays is probably correct but why not use that position to cultivate some value on the trade market instead of playing it safe with an old wily vet?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I don't see the harm in signing Hasselbeck and little him finish his career in Seattle. This is Hasselbeck we are talking about. Why not pick up a young QB to be the 3rd stringer down the road.
    I like a little...
    Science In My Fiction
    mech.romance
    NET Bench Warmer

• mech.romance wrote:I don't see the harm in signing Hasselbeck and little him finish his career in Seattle. This is Hasselbeck we are talking about. Why not pick up a young QB to be the 3rd stringer down the road.

Thats the kind of logic the Mariners use to sign old washed up players like Griffey. Let's not turn into the M's and re-sign our old heroes for nostalgia sake. Besides, I would rather remember him as our starting QB during some very good years, not as the old, washed up back up.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• MrCarey wrote:No, we need someone who could at least ATTEMPT to work with this offensive gameplan.

Yea. I can't think of an active QB with a skill set more unfit for our system than Hass. I love the guy, but that ship has sailed. Let him sign a 1 day contract to retire as a Hawk when he is all done.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• You know who is a worse system fit for backup QB? Cousins. Complete opposite of RGIII but he did pretty darn good when called upon.

If there is a better backup, I'm all for grabbing him but I can't think of a single QB available that would be a better QB.

Bring in Hass (because he would be the best backup in the league) and grab a project QB in the draft to train to be Matt's replacement.

It is a side benefit that Matt would retire a Seahawk and possibly get that Super Bowl ring he deserves. Bring the man home and keep him in the PNW when he goes into his broadcasting career.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Scones... maybe a crumpet. Cheddar biscuits and sausage gravy.... our just some kale & quinoa.

So very, very true, but alas, my doctor has told me to leave them alone, and to find something with a lot of dietary fiber in it :( :pukeface:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Our backup qb doesn't need to be able to run the zone crap. It's only 20 percent of our offense and who knows how much in the future.

Just get someone to keep us afloat.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• If Hass came back to the Hawks, I think the Real Rob Report would be even more epic...
    Winterfell
    NET Rookie

• I would like to have a scone please
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:You know who is a worse system fit for backup QB? Cousins. Complete opposite of RGIII but he did pretty darn good when called upon.

If there is a better backup, I'm all for grabbing him but I can't think of a single QB available that would be a better QB.

Bring in Hass (because he would be the best backup in the league) and grab a project QB in the draft to train to be Matt's replacement.
    It is a side benefit that Matt would retire a Seahawk and possibly get that Super Bowl ring he deserves. Bring the man home and keep him in the PNW when he goes into his broadcasting career.

My sentiments as well. He's the best backup out there and I think he's got a few more good games left. If he had to go in we would prob change to a conservative game plaat first anyway. I'd also like to see him get another shot at a ring that I feel he deserves. Bringing in a young guy to be the third stringer would be great. Imagine that young rookie getting to.learn from Hass and wilson. That'd be great
    "Beast mode was engaged, and when beast mode is engaged, no one can stop him"-- Some skins fan
    "I envy that hard hitting Seahawks D. Love the attitude they play with." Justblaze2729 Denver Fan
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

• Blitzer88 wrote:I would be ok with it, but really I would want someone that could also run the read option since it is a growing part of our playbook now.

I love Mattie a lot but when someone says "run" option & Matt Hasslebeck in the same sentence I get the giggles. :D

I mean, he hasn't "ran" in several years. Lurching is a much better word for it.

In all seriousness I'm sure he could run it fine, he has a good head on his shoulders. But I fear his body would severly limit its effectivness.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• The Radish wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:I would be ok with it, but really I would want someone that could also run the read option since it is a growing part of our playbook now.

I love Mattie a lot but when someone says "run" option & Matt Hasslebeck in the same sentence I get the giggles. :D

I mean, he hasn't "ran" in several years. Lurching is a much better word for it.

In all seriousness I'm sure he could run it fine, he has a good head on his shoulders. But I fear his body would severly limit its effectivness.

:les:

No he can't run it just fine.

To run it you actually have to be a threat to run. No defense is going to worry about Hasselbeck beating them with his legs. He simply can't run it.

If he were to come here that part of the offense would not be ran when he was in the game. Which is fine if he were still a good QB which unfortunately I don't believe he is anymore.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• RichNhansom wrote:The idea of getting someone (outside the draft) who can step in and run our offense is not going to happen. It's an insult to Wilson to think you could. The option part of the read/option is where most athletic QB's fail. It is why this offense is so new. It takes a special QB to be able to execute it and even then requires time in the system in real game situations to become proficient at it.

If Wilson goes down we will revert to a traditional style of offense that functions best with a knowledgeable vet who can get the ball out quickly while reading defenses and can get comfortable with a new set of receivers quickly. He doesn't need to be super durable because he wouldn't see more than spot duty.

Give me a guy who can execute a traditional offence, can motivate the team, is happy to be here as our backup and is a true team leader all day long. Throw in a history of being at his best come playoff time and if the money is reasonable, you do it in a second.

Absolutely. We have the perfect environment for Hass. Behind Jake, he's likely going to see too much playing time in Tenn. Bring him home, let him retire a Hawk and let him run the victory formation in the superbowl.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Finally, a thread I can get behind! Of course bring him back, let's get him into camp to compete! Hell yeah...surprised it isn;t already done...
    My Tapatalk for Ipad is bigger than yours. Size matters.
    MeanBlueGreen
    NET Veteran

• The only person more suited to be RW3's back up than Ocho Hasso is TJ! TJ! TJ! so yes but only if Buff is unwilling to strike a deal for the young prince. Or else keep Flynn and brink back TJ! and Hass. You know what they say: "Three's a crowd, four could operate a large aquatic vessel with only slight difficulty."
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I love Matt and all he was meant to this city, but I only want him back for a retirement ceremony.
    benbu75
    NET Bench Warmer

• Who would be better?
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• I brought over this video to add a slice of reality to the conversation.. Matt can't run for squat but he still has excellent read quality and a lightning release.

Matt can still win on an otherwise good team. He's no Wilson....but then who is?

I like him for the history... I like him for the sidelines ... I like him to help Wilson see things during a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUWCz-I0mC8
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

• As a backup? No. Maybe if they could get him for a 750k/one-year deal to be the third string QB for a season, so he can retire and possibly get a ring as a Seahawk. Hasselbeck has already made $51 million over his career, so I don't think he would be concerned with money. Plus when you're his age, and you still want to play, you will take anything that comes your way.

I am betting Matt retires after next season anyway.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• The sentimentality in this thread is nauseating.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Hasselbeck is still throwing balloon passes. He'd still be just as much of a liability under pressure as he was in 2009-2010.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Scottemojo wrote:The sentimentality in this thread is nauseating.

I agree. I also find it funny that people think Wilson would have a ton to learn from Hasselbeck, returning back to the "resign Hass and let the rookie learn under him" zeitgeist that was so incredibly annoying.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Zowert wrote:As a backup? No. Maybe if they could get him for a 750k/one-year deal to be the third string QB for a season, so he can retire and possibly get a ring as a Seahawk. Hasselbeck has already made $51 million over his career, so I don't think he would be concerned with money. Plus when you're his age, and you still want to play, you will take anything that comes your way.

I am betting Matt retires after next season anyway.

51 million? HMMmmmmm.......???? I appears his net worth is currently 18 million. How the heck did he waste 33 million over the last few years?
    HUGGY
    *NET Poop Holster*

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    mech.romance wrote:I don't see the harm in signing Hasselbeck and little him finish his career in Seattle. This is Hasselbeck we are talking about. Why not pick up a young QB to be the 3rd stringer down the road.

Thats the kind of logic the Mariners use to sign old washed up players like Griffey. Let's not turn into the M's and re-sign our old heroes for nostalgia sake. Besides, I would rather remember him as our starting QB during some very good years, not as the old, washed up back up.

I don't think the team could win games with him, his last season here was pretty awful granted we weren't as talented then but he turned the ball over a lot.

(because he would be the best backup in the league)

:179422: got any for the rest of us?

Alex Smith? Kirk Cousins? Matt Flynn.

There is quite a few guys I would take over Hass.

I'm not the nostalgic type, I want the best players.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• HUGGY wrote:I brought over this video to add a slice of reality to the conversation.. Matt can't run for squat but he still has excellent read quality and a lightning release.

Matt can still win on an otherwise good team. He's no Wilson....but then who is?

I like him for the history... I like him for the sidelines ... I like him to help Wilson see things during a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUWCz-I0mC8

Incorrect. It is Wilson who would be teaching Matt a thing or three.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• RichNhansom wrote:The idea of getting someone (outside the draft) who can step in and run our offense is not going to happen. It's an insult to Wilson to think you could. The option part of the read/option is where most athletic QB's fail. It is why this offense is so new. It takes a special QB to be able to execute it and even then requires time in the system in real game situations to become proficient at it.

Who says Hass would be happy to be here as the backup?

In a league where there are plenty of questionable starting QBs, why wouldn't Hass want to go somewhere where he might have a chance to start due to the 1st-string guy struggling?

And honestly, can you think of an example of a QB hitting his prime with one team, starting to decline, leaving in FA, and then COMING BACK? I can't think of any competitive QB who would really drool over the thought of going back to the team who thought he was mostly washed up. I know Hass says wonderful things about the Hawks, but I'm pretty sure that the ship has sailed on him suiting up for the team ever again.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information