Felix signs 7 yr $175 mm contract.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1fre75ky said:
Does the entire Mariners organization even project making that much money over the next 7 years?

Who watches that crap?
A lot of people on television.

They're going to get a crap ton of money with their next TV deal.

BUT LOL MARINUZ H8

SeatownJay

Reaction score
When was the last time the highest paid pitcher in the league played for the worst team in the league? And is anyone else thinking now the Mariners will use this contract as an "excuse" for why they can't afford to go out and sign any other quality players?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":xzyryeyz said:
When was the last time the highest paid pitcher in the league played for the worst team in the league? And is anyone else thinking now the Mariners will use this contract as an "excuse" for why they can't afford to go out and sign any other quality players?

like Josh Hamilton, who chose the Angels? Or Prince Fielder, who chose the Tigers?

Cant kidnap and force these players to Seattle... gets old hearing the same line from people on here. Only M's fans would complain about NOT signing players immediately after dropping $175 million on a player

m0ng0

Reaction score
Winning solves players not wanting to come here, the FO made a move they really did not have to make, they could have traded him away for more prospects and kept the influx of youngsters running through the organization like other mlb farm teams do.

I think they are trying to turn this thing around but you can't do it over night and this is another step in the right direction. Felix will still be a top notch pitcher when this new contract ends because he throws such a mechanically sound ball. Things are looking up....

DTexHawk

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":3t58frw1 said:
So happy to see him get paid. Totally worth it. Plus who else will put butts in the seats.

So where have the butts been in the past.

Last year, M's averaged 21,258 (5th worst in league) per game at home, at only 44% (worst in league) of capacity.

A quick check on Hernandez, attendance avg. = under 29,000 at home (only used games in which he got the decision).

IS an extra 8-10,000 butts going to pay for that contract?

Also, this doesn't bode well for him:

"MLB - Hernandez lots of innings at 26
At age 26, Felix Hernandez has thrown over 1,620 innings in the majors. In the Divisional Era, only three players have pitched more innings through their age-26 seasons. Bert Blyleven went on to the Hall of Fame; neither Valenzuela nor Gooden reached 200 career wins."

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
DTexHawk":2xph5i2y said:

Last year, M's averaged 21,258 (5th worst in league) per game at home, at only 44% (worst in league) of capacity.

A quick check on Hernandez, attendance avg. = under 29,000 at home (only used games in which he got the decision).

At age 26, Felix Hernandez has thrown over 1,620 innings in the majors. In the Divisional Era, only three players have pitched more innings through their age-26 seasons. Bert Blyleven went on to the Hall of Fame; neither Valenzuela nor Gooden reached 200 career wins."

And Russell Wilson was too short to play NFL football because statistically no one had really done it. More statistical garbage.

Mariners need something to hang their hats on, Felix obviously loves it here and we got a hometown discount in return. It's a win-win-win for him, the team and the fans.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Well, I like it, he is definitely worth that contract and now that solves the will they/won't they trade talk. Now they need to grow around him, I realize it's not going to turn around in one year or two but Hernandez makes any team better and is the only money player or stadium draw the Mariners have.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2wy8vtb4 said:
DTexHawk":2wy8vtb4 said:

And Russell Wilson was too short to play NFL football because statistically no one had really done it. More statistical garbage.

Mariners need something to hang their hats on, Felix obviously loves it here and we got a hometown discount in return. It's a win-win-win for him, the team and the fans.

You're right, stats don't mean anything.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
When I saw that on the news ticker, I was just surprised the Mariners ponied up that kind of dough to someone not named Ichiro.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3epwc3cb said:
SeatownJay":3epwc3cb said:

like Josh Hamilton, who chose the Angels? Or Prince Fielder, who chose the Tigers?

Cant kidnap and force these players to Seattle... gets old hearing the same line from people on here. Only M's fans would complain about NOT signing players immediately after dropping $175 million on a player
Also gets old hearing the same old folks making the same old excuses for the Mariners upper front office.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sorry Sports Hernia... I still don't get it. What excuse? Hell, what's the problem? We just signed one of the best pitchers in baseball... at at 175 million. Am I missing something?

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1c8s1t8g said:
DTexHawk":1c8s1t8g said:

And they don't mean EVERYTHING either.

As good a season as RW had, it means nothing in a discussion about pitchers.

Odds are against Felix winning 200 games. Could happen, but likely won't.

hawker84

Reaction score
very happy for Felix, he deserves it.. and to stick around a losing organization , i just became an even bigger fan...

The Radish

Reaction score
Several guys in my old duffers coffee group were bitching about this.

I told them 2 things

1. Its nice to see the Mariners spend money on a real quality player for once.

2. They will get their money back 10 fold by the number of people Felix puts in the seats on his days on the mound.

:les:

jkitsune

Reaction score
The Radish":3od8wjuk said:

I told them 2 things

2. They will get their money back 10 fold by the number of people Felix puts in the seats on his days on the mound.

Complaining about giving a huge contract to the best pitcher in baseball to make him a long term mariner, after bitching about not signing fielder, Hamilton, etc... I swear the ms have the most asinine fans in baseball at this point. Everyone is so determined to loathe every move they make.

And yes. I am exaggerating mildly for the purpose of illustration, but this contract is everything an ms fan should want - a serious long term financial investment in a superstar. We can only hope it's not the last.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DTexHawk":38l5drw0 said:
Trenchbroom":38l5drw0 said:
DTexHawk":38l5drw0 said:

And they don't mean EVERYTHING either.

As good a season as RW had, it means nothing in a discussion about pitchers.

Odds are against Felix winning 200 games. Could happen, but likely won't.
Yeah, but that is like 400 wins on a good team.
How many wins did he have the year he won the Cy Young?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The Radish":2f7g93uf said:

I told them 2 things

Are you sure? 175 million times ten is 1.75 billion in profits. Are you sure?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I'm glad they did it for 5 reasons:

1- He wants to be here.

2- He's the best starting pitcher in baseball.

3- We now won't end up with a Randy Johnson/Shawn Kemp situation.

4- Basically he's already earned it in his career thus far. If he drops off some, then he's still brought the team their 25 million a year worth for the last 6+ years in my view, and they could find a trade partner much more easily if needed due to his being locked up at what will be considered reasonable for THE elite starter (remember... he's making less than A-Rod per average season on this contract.

5- Plus he's young, competitive, and like an NFL QB who if he's "the best" makes about this much and only has to play 16 games a year plus playoffs). Felix will give you his best every night for 30+ starts per year.

So to wrap it up... Felix doesn't ruin the Mariners salary setup, as they have so many young arms right now, he is locked up forever, which is good for everybody, and if you're a free agent or trade target that is thinking about Seattle, they start to look a lot better when you're essentially guaranteed Felix will be here for your entire contract.

Would it have made a difference in trying to acquire Upton? Who knows... but I can see others that will want to come here to play with Felix, just as we're going to see NFL players wanting to come play with Russell Wilson, or the way NBA players loved playing with Gary Payton, and how others wanted to be here with Edgar, Griffey, and Buhner knowing they get run support as a pitcher, or massive protection in the lineup as a hitter (if ownership had opened the purse strings and let Lou and Gillick acquire a left-handed power bat, but that's another story, and a reason we have no World Series trophies in Seattle).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qtfv13a said:
Sorry Sports Hernia... I still don't get it. What excuse? Hell, what's the problem? We just signed one of the best pitchers in baseball... at at 175 million. Am I missing something?
Apparently you dont. Examine your history of defending this FO group then get back to me. No one is denying locking up Felix is a GREAT thing! No one, but its something that SHOULD be done, its a no-brainer for any org in this situation to do the same thing!

Now, is Felix going to be used as an excuse by your 2 friends Chuck and Howard to not spend anymore $$$ on top tier talent from here on out for years to come??? (Remember Armstrong's "Freddy ate all of our cookies" quote when Garcia won an arb case against Seattle).