Seahawks talk Dwight Freeney

Chawker

Reaction score
Seahawks | Could show interest in Dwight Freeney
Thu, 07 Feb 2013 16:05:50 -0800

The Seattle Seahawks could show interest in Indianapolis Colts impending free-agent DE Dwight Freeney this offseason if he is willing to take less than the over $14 million he received this season.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2KHYCrhIu

benbu75

Reaction score
He might end up in a Seahawks uniform, but I don't see them jumping at him, particularly after 5 sacks and 12 tackles in 2012. Maybe it was because of the transition from DE to OLB, but I'm more inclined to think it is because he is 33 years old.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I could see him doing a decent enough job filling in while Clemons is out. Then again, I haven't seen or heard much of him in a bit. Still need to draft someone though, I see him as a super short term solution, imo.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Sorry but not interested. If we're going to go with an aging vet I'd much rather take Osi Umenyiora (although I'm not really sold on him either). Here are the stats from the last two years:

Dwight Freeney: 30 games, 31 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles (Will be 33 at the beginning of the season)
Osi Umenyiora: 25 games, 68 tackles, 15.0 sacks, 4 forced fumbles (Will be 31 at the beginning of the season)

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Would be great for him to play at CLink and see the retired #71 jersey over his head every game.

JKent82

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1h3zel9w said:
Sorry but not interested. If we're going to go with an aging vet I'd much rather take Osi Umenyiora (although I'm not really sold on him either). Here are the stats from the last two years:

Dwight Freeney: 30 games, 31 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles (Will be 33 at the beginning of the season)
Osi Umenyiora: 25 games, 68 tackles, 15.0 sacks, 4 forced fumbles (Will be 31 at the beginning of the season)

Dwight Freeney: Crappy team around him while playing from behind and had a scheme change this year.
Osi Umenyiora: Great team around him while playing from ahead. Missed 5 more games despite playing part time.

Weird idea. Can we have both? And run a 3 man rotation with Irvin at Leo? Not sure they'd both agree to share snaps, or if we have the roster space for 3 pure rushers, two of which aren't on rookie contracts or young. A weird thought anyways. Bruce would get to learn a lot.

Honestly though I've always been more interested in Osi for this year, felt like playing devils advocate though.

benbu75

Reaction score
JKent82":12ryhzuj said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":12ryhzuj said:

Dwight Freeney: Crappy team around him while playing from behind and had a scheme change this year.
Osi Umenyiora: Great team around him while playing from ahead. Missed 5 more games despite playing part time.

Weird idea. Can we have both? And run a 3 man rotation with Irvin at Leo? Not sure they'd both agree to share snaps, or if we have the roster space for 3 pure rushers, two of which aren't on rookie contracts or young. A weird thought anyways. Bruce would get to learn a lot.

Honestly though I've always been more interested in Osi for this year, felt like playing devils advocate though.

IMO, going after the older guys is asking for problems and is completely against the Seahawks philosophy for building a team. They might sign them just to get them on the team in case they need them, but I see this being another Barrett Ruud/Terrell Owens/Kellen Winslow/Other old guys that found the door sooner than later. The younger talent will be faster, stronger, hungrier, and more durable.

mech.romance

Reaction score
I actually wouldn't mind this move at all. Why not take Dwight Freeney or Osi, still draft a DE in the high round, and let the DE develop and learn from the vet. This only build depth, and it still addresses a position of need. Variety is the spice of life, we don't need to go after ALL young players.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
No, I want to build through the draft; we've got vets like Red, Clemmons, and such to help the rookies. The team needs to be built right, through the draft, to be a team with lasting success.

firebee

Reaction score
A veteran DE would be a nicety, but I don't think the DE position warrants spending a lot of money on a big name free agent. Unless an old veteran like Osi or Freeney are willing to sign at bargain basement prices, I'd prefer to see us keep building with young up-and-coming lesser knowns. Our FO has proven they can find diamonds in the rough and build through the draft. I think we're on the verge of making multiple Super Bowl appearances over the next 5-10 years with the FO and coaching staff we have in place. If a player believes that and they want to be a part of that, they'll sign at a bargain. If we get players like that, we get players that are already bought into the program before they enter the program.

NYCoug

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":oqm0hf77 said:
Isn't this just pure speculation?

Yeah, seems like it.

I'd be down with Freeney. Yeah, he's going to be 33 in a few days, but if you check out the league sack leaders annually you'll see that most of the guys near the top of the list are on the wrong side of 30 anyway. For that 1 year deal as the "Raheem Brock" role, it could work. His production dipped but that was because of a move to OLB in the Colts 3-4. Problem is, he's said that he wants to retire a Colt and I'm thinking that he'll take the pay cut to get that done.

Just noticed, not really but felt strong enough to comment on it, what a load of crap ESPN Insider is. They've got an Insider article, that you have to pay for, that mentions Freeney as a possible fit in Seattle and that Seattle might not show any interest in Paul Kruger because of 2 red flags. The red flags being that he performed well in a contract year and that he only performed well when Suggs was back in the lineup. I can almost guarantee that if the Seahawks ARE interested in Paul Kruger, the red flags wouldn't be those 2. It'd be his lack of speed and excellent athleticism. ESPN must make a slaying charging for "Insider" information that's really just speculation and countless articles mentioning every possible FA as a "good fit" for X team. What a load of crap! But I digress...

Freeney or Osi? How bout we pass on both and go with William Hayes if we want to shore up the DE position. Not only that, he can play some DT as well, fitting that versatile mold that PC/JS covet.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":2xjpfoxo said:
No, I want to build through the draft; we've got vets like Red, Clemons, and such to help the rookies. The team needs to be built right, through the draft, to be a team with lasting success.

Clemons was a free agent and has provided most of our sacks since he arrived.

This team has already been built mostly through the draft. It's not as if you can't supplement the process with a few well-placed free agents. You just don't want to rely on them like Rusk-hell.

NYCoug

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":7vb1qetz said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":7vb1qetz said:
No, I want to build through the draft; we've got vets like Red, Clemons, and such to help the rookies. The team needs to be built right, through the draft, to be a team with lasting success.

Clemons was a free agent and has provided most of our sacks since he arrived.

This team has already been built mostly through the draft. It's not as if you can't supplement the process with a few well-placed free agents. You just don't want to rely on them like Rusk-hell.

I agree with your post Montana, but Clemons was acquired in the Darryl Tapp trade. Still, not through the draft, but not an FA either.

hawker84

Reaction score
this... if Freeney was more productive maybe... but seems like he's declined over the last couple years, 33 years old.. i agree we should stick with the youth movement, build through FA or draft.. Jared Allen would be nice.