SI's Don Banks: 2012 NFL re-draft, 3 Hawks go top 15

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... &eref=sihp

Wilson 3rd to the Browns
Wagner 9th to the Panthers
Irvin 15th to the Hawks

Not a bad draft in Seattle this season. The Seahawks' top three picks -- Irvin, Wagner and Wilson -- all go in our top 15 do-over. That will work most any year for Seattle general manager John Schneider and his personnel department.

Remind me again why Schneider did not win Executive of the Year?

Axx

Reaction score
Wilson the Brown LOL!!!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Not bad....not bad at all. Just makes me all the more pleased they these young men are on our team right now!

Winterfell

Reaction score
Agreed, just highlights how atrocious it really is for Schneider not to win Exec of the Year.

I can see why Wilson didn't win OROY and Wagner didn't win DROY. RGIII and Kuechly both had strong supporting cases going for them and both had an outstanding season.

But for Schneider to not win Executive of the Year for getting top-15 talent with his 1st round, 2nd round, and 3rd round pick is freakin' ridiculous! He accomplished in one draft what should have taken 3 consecutive years of first round picks panning out. He exponentially increased the talent level of this team.

formido

Reaction score
3rd for Wilson, huh? Sorry, still too low. I would bet a lot of money Wilson will be considered the best QB of this draft. I think it's a 50/50 shot that most people concede that by end of next year.

HawkFanNC

Reaction score
I usually love these re-draft pieces. But not any more. I don't even want to think about scenarios where Russell Wilson isn't wearing a Seahawk uniform.

benbu75

Reaction score
I would have been more impressed if this would have come from the Anti-Hawks Sports Network known as CBSSports and their Gasbag-in-Chief, Pete Prisco. SI has tended to be more favorable to the Seahawks, but I still think this is a pretty awesome article.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":vx3xgfpb said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130207/2012-nfl-draft-redo/?sct=hp_t12_a9&eref=sihp

Wilson 3rd to the Browns
Wagner 9th to the Panthers
Irvin 15th to the Hawks

Not a bad draft in Seattle this season. The Seahawks' top three picks -- Irvin, Wagner and Wilson -- all go in our top 15 do-over. That will work most any year for Seattle general manager John Schneider and his personnel department.

Yeah, because it takes a really great talent evaluator and a strong belief in yourself to buck convention and draft Andrew Luck first overall... :eyeroll:

No, that EOTY award was just another bauble in recognition of the feel good story of the year. Seahawks are far too big and scary to be a feel good story.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hmm I really dont know if Tannehill would have been that #5 pick. Hes been pretty good, but I dont see him really amounting to anything special

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The biggest travesty was Schneider finishing a distant third behind ELWAY in the EOTY voting. Seriously, what did Elway accomplish that offseason besides make the biggest no brainer personnel decision of ALL TIME. Oh, and he accepted the lesser of two trader offers for Tebow ....just cause.

benbu75

Reaction score
DavidSeven":r2fu7f4h said:
The biggest travesty was Schneider finishing a distant third behind ELWAY in the EOTY voting. Seriously, what did Elway accomplish that offseason besides make the biggest no brainer personnel decision of ALL TIME. Oh, and he accepted the lesser of two trader offers for Tebow ....just cause.

I think it was more in the fact that he was the one that was able to get the deal done. Lots of teams made the decision that they wanted to get Peyton Manning, including the Seahawks. The difference is in wanting and DOING. That said, I think what John Schneider did in the draft was FAR more impressive with the amount of real contribution he was able to get out of Irvin, Wagner, Wilson, Turbin, Lane, Sweezy, and Scruggs.

themunn

Reaction score
Redraft, Irvin is still available at 15... but so is Barron, who Schneider rated highly too - I know he didn't have the best season, but given the choice between the two, who do you take?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2b4wq3ui said:

Well, Schneider didn't exactly put together a team that won the most playoff games between the top three contenders.

Wait, what's that? The Broncos and Colts got bounced in their first games?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
themunn":3fromefi said:
Redraft, Irvin is still available at 15... but so is Barron, who Schneider rated highly too - I know he didn't have the best season, but given the choice between the two, who do you take?

I'd still take the pass rusher. I think people are way too critical of Bruce, he lead all rookies in sacks in a limited role. His skillset will be very valuable in the coming years. I think the quick kneejerk reactions are laughable. The-- He's not a LEO crowd.

I seem to remember the ludicrious assertions made by many here that Max Unger sucked because he wasn't very good as a rookie. Now he's easily a top 5 player on this team. A huge amount of poeple were calling out Tate and McCoy and both in their 3rd years have had their best seasons and have been more than solid contributors.

These things take time for most.

Latest posts