If/when we get rid of Flynn, would you want Hasselbeck back?

MrCarey

Reaction score
No, we need someone who could at least ATTEMPT to work with this offensive gameplan.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I dont see what would be the point of signing an old QB who can't run our normal offense and who would be pricier than most backup QBs. Why not do what the Pats/Packers do and draft a guy who you may eventually be able to flip to another team for draft picks? (Like Pats did with Cassell, Packers tried to do with Flynn)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The idea of getting someone (outside the draft) who can step in and run our offense is not going to happen. It's an insult to Wilson to think you could. The option part of the read/option is where most athletic QB's fail. It is why this offense is so new. It takes a special QB to be able to execute it and even then requires time in the system in real game situations to become proficient at it.

If Wilson goes down we will revert to a traditional style of offense that functions best with a knowledgeable vet who can get the ball out quickly while reading defenses and can get comfortable with a new set of receivers quickly. He doesn't need to be super durable because he wouldn't see more than spot duty.

Give me a guy who can execute a traditional offence, can motivate the team, is happy to be here as our backup and is a true team leader all day long. Throw in a history of being at his best come playoff time and if the money is reasonable, you do it in a second.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Hasselbeck would be a great guy to have around for Wilson. I'd worry about him as a back-up coming in and holding up, but he also hasn't been hit too hard recently.

Lets face it, whomever our backup is, if they end up having to play for an extended period of time it's going to suck. our chances go down and it's just not as fun to watch.

drdiags

Reaction score
Look at the Skins. Two young QBs and the backup has shown he can handle a spot start or emergency fill-in. The backup was a 3rd round pick. Maybe the Seahawks can replicate that and find a young QB to fill the backup role? Sort of like what Flynn was with the Packers? Cousins most likely will have to move on after his rookie contract but he has been a nice insurance policy and most likely starts off next year as the starter.

Dennis Dixon started off for Ben when he was suspended, only to be replaced by Batch but the team took a chance on a young QB, though I don't think he was a rookie when he got his chance. Just random thoughts generated by the idea of a backup having to fill in.

The sentiment that the team is screwed if the backup plays is probably correct but why not use that position to cultivate some value on the trade market instead of playing it safe with an old wily vet?

mech.romance

Reaction score
I don't see the harm in signing Hasselbeck and little him finish his career in Seattle. This is Hasselbeck we are talking about. Why not pick up a young QB to be the 3rd stringer down the road.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
mech.romance":l8px2w5s said:
I don't see the harm in signing Hasselbeck and little him finish his career in Seattle. This is Hasselbeck we are talking about. Why not pick up a young QB to be the 3rd stringer down the road.

Thats the kind of logic the Mariners use to sign old washed up players like Griffey. Let's not turn into the M's and re-sign our old heroes for nostalgia sake. Besides, I would rather remember him as our starting QB during some very good years, not as the old, washed up back up.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
MrCarey":2bw23rt2 said:
No, we need someone who could at least ATTEMPT to work with this offensive gameplan.

Yea. I can't think of an active QB with a skill set more unfit for our system than Hass. I love the guy, but that ship has sailed. Let him sign a 1 day contract to retire as a Hawk when he is all done.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
You know who is a worse system fit for backup QB? Cousins. Complete opposite of RGIII but he did pretty darn good when called upon.

If there is a better backup, I'm all for grabbing him but I can't think of a single QB available that would be a better QB.

Bring in Hass (because he would be the best backup in the league) and grab a project QB in the draft to train to be Matt's replacement.

It is a side benefit that Matt would retire a Seahawk and possibly get that Super Bowl ring he deserves. Bring the man home and keep him in the PNW when he goes into his broadcasting career.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3a06uiuc said:
Scones... maybe a crumpet. Cheddar biscuits and sausage gravy.... our just some kale & quinoa.
So very, very true, but alas, my doctor has told me to leave them alone, and to find something with a lot of dietary fiber in it :( :pukeface:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Our backup qb doesn't need to be able to run the zone crap. It's only 20 percent of our offense and who knows how much in the future.

Just get someone to keep us afloat.

Winterfell

Reaction score
If Hass came back to the Hawks, I think the Real Rob Report would be even more epic...

OP
OP
H

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2yz0a40f said:
You know who is a worse system fit for backup QB? Cousins. Complete opposite of RGIII but he did pretty darn good when called upon.

If there is a better backup, I'm all for grabbing him but I can't think of a single QB available that would be a better QB.

Bring in Hass (because he would be the best backup in the league) and grab a project QB in the draft to train to be Matt's replacement.
It is a side benefit that Matt would retire a Seahawk and possibly get that Super Bowl ring he deserves. Bring the man home and keep him in the PNW when he goes into his broadcasting career.

My sentiments as well. He's the best backup out there and I think he's got a few more good games left. If he had to go in we would prob change to a conservative game plaat first anyway. I'd also like to see him get another shot at a ring that I feel he deserves. Bringing in a young guy to be the third stringer would be great. Imagine that young rookie getting to.learn from Hass and wilson. That'd be great

The Radish

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2ngbqtdv said:
I would be ok with it, but really I would want someone that could also run the read option since it is a growing part of our playbook now.

I love Mattie a lot but when someone says "run" option & Matt Hasslebeck in the same sentence I get the giggles. :D

I mean, he hasn't "ran" in several years. Lurching is a much better word for it.

In all seriousness I'm sure he could run it fine, he has a good head on his shoulders. But I fear his body would severly limit its effectivness.

:les:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The Radish":bwx8m5u4 said:
Blitzer88":bwx8m5u4 said:
I would be ok with it, but really I would want someone that could also run the read option since it is a growing part of our playbook now.

I love Mattie a lot but when someone says "run" option & Matt Hasslebeck in the same sentence I get the giggles. :D

I mean, he hasn't "ran" in several years. Lurching is a much better word for it.

In all seriousness I'm sure he could run it fine, he has a good head on his shoulders. But I fear his body would severly limit its effectivness.

:les:

No he can't run it just fine.

To run it you actually have to be a threat to run. No defense is going to worry about Hasselbeck beating them with his legs. He simply can't run it.

If he were to come here that part of the offense would not be ran when he was in the game. Which is fine if he were still a good QB which unfortunately I don't believe he is anymore.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1wpncsth said:
The idea of getting someone (outside the draft) who can step in and run our offense is not going to happen. It's an insult to Wilson to think you could. The option part of the read/option is where most athletic QB's fail. It is why this offense is so new. It takes a special QB to be able to execute it and even then requires time in the system in real game situations to become proficient at it.

If Wilson goes down we will revert to a traditional style of offense that functions best with a knowledgeable vet who can get the ball out quickly while reading defenses and can get comfortable with a new set of receivers quickly. He doesn't need to be super durable because he wouldn't see more than spot duty.

Give me a guy who can execute a traditional offence, can motivate the team, is happy to be here as our backup and is a true team leader all day long. Throw in a history of being at his best come playoff time and if the money is reasonable, you do it in a second.

Absolutely. We have the perfect environment for Hass. Behind Jake, he's likely going to see too much playing time in Tenn. Bring him home, let him retire a Hawk and let him run the victory formation in the superbowl.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The only person more suited to be RW3's back up than Ocho Hasso is TJ! TJ! TJ! so yes but only if Buff is unwilling to strike a deal for the young prince. Or else keep Flynn and brink back TJ! and Hass. You know what they say: "Three's a crowd, four could operate a large aquatic vessel with only slight difficulty."

benbu75

Reaction score
I love Matt and all he was meant to this city, but I only want him back for a retirement ceremony.