Monitor question...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Monitor question...
Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:14 pm
  • I was thinking of getting a larger monitor and my Son-in-law gave me a Samsung tv he had previously used as a monitor.

Problem is (besides not great definition.) the picture is not centered. On the right hand side I have a black line approx. 1/2'' wide, and I'm missing the same amount on the left side.

Anyone know how to correct this? Thanks.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Re: Monitor question...
Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:21 pm
  • That depends on the display. Some of them, you need to either activate a PC or computer mode, or you may need to disable overscanning, or LCD overdrive. You can usually fix this on the computer itself, if you go into the display settings in either the NVIDIA control panel or the AMD Catalyst Control Center, depending on who makes your video card. If it's AMD, you can just right-click your background/wallpaper, click Catalyst Control Center, then click the My Digital Flat Panels category on the left, then click Scaling Options, and you can mess with the underscan/overscan settings to scale the picture in and out on the display.

I don't know the NVIDIA version offhand, but it's going to be a similar set of steps. If you have an Intel or other manufacturer for the video card, then I don't know, you'll have to Google it; but it's usually fixed via underscan or overscan settings.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:12 pm
  • What Roland said. If your computer screen is normally 4:3 or something like that and you clone to the TV it's going to clone the identical resolution. If you are using it as a second monitor then you can set up the TV with it's own resolution.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:22 pm
  • Finally got tired of watching the moosie videos on a small monitor?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 pm
  • If it's a Samsung:

Hit the Menu button. Go to Picture-> Picture Options-> Size-> and select "Just scan".

EDIT:

Also, your PC needs to match the TVs native resolution. Make sure your PC's resolution is set to 1920x1080 (or depending on the model of the Samsung, 1280x720).
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 pm
  • Thanks folks! I just got home and I'll try some suggestions in the morning.

(I pressed the menu button on the remote, but nothing happened. I'll try again tomorrow.)
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm
  • New batteries and the remote now works!

Taz: I went to menu>picture>, but there was no 'picture option'? However, I did hit size but there was no option for 'just scan.' ?? Oh, well.

James: Are you gonna be home tonight?
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:34 am
  • LymonHawk wrote:New batteries and the remote now works!

Taz: I went to menu>picture>, but there was no 'picture option'? However, I did hit size but there was no option for 'just scan.' ?? Oh, well.

James: Are you gonna be home tonight?

If it's a TV you're probably not going to have too much charge of resolution.

It will have to be done on your computer in display settings.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 am
  • Lymon, find out what model of graphics card you have. Click Start, go to Control Panel, then open Device Manager. (You may have to click a link on the left that says switch to classic view, or change a menu on the upper right to small icons in order to see it.) Go to the display adapters section in device manager, and tell me what model it lists in there.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:01 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Lymon, find out what model of graphics card you have. Click Start, go to Control Panel, then open Device Manager. (You may have to click a link on the left that says switch to classic view, or change a menu on the upper right to small icons in order to see it.) Go to the display adapters section in device manager, and tell me what model it lists in there.

Does "ATI Radeon HD4200", sound right?
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:05 am
  • Yes. Now, what version of Windows are you using? (Go back to the Control Panel, and open up System, and it will say; I also need to know if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. When you're in System, depending on the version of Windows, it'll probably have a category that says System Type, and it'll say "32-bit Operating System" or "64-bit Operating System".
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Yes. Now, what version of Windows are you using? (Go back to the Control Panel, and open up System, and it will say; I also need to know if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. When you're in System, depending on the version of Windows, it'll probably have a category that says System Type, and it'll say "32-bit Operating System" or "64-bit Operating System".

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit OS.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:38 am
  • Install this, and then my instructions in the original reply should work: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/legacy/13-1 ... dd_ccc.exe

That's a desktop computer you have, right? If it's a laptop, don't install what I just linked; I'll give you a different one in that case.

Also, restart the computer after you install that.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:19 pm
  • I installed it, but when I go to ATI control center, I still don't see a "My Digital Flat Panel..."?
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:43 pm
  • You should be able to access something about "My displays", "Multiple displays", etc. Try to find one that when you change settings on it, it makes your TV screen change. I don't have access to my computer with ATI graphics right now or I could get a better handle on your exact settings menu.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 pm
  • What categories do you see on the left? Also, does your left side like similar to this?
    Attachments
    ccc.png
    ccc.png (128.83 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:15 pm
  • What I'm seeing isn't anything like that. I'm getting ATI Control Center, with the number 1, not 3.

There's nothing saying "Radeon Graphics," either.

Maybe I'm at the wrong place? I'm right clicking my wallpaper and then clicking ATI Control Center.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:19 pm
  • Ignore the stuff in the middle on my screenshot. What categories do you have listed on the left, if any? Also, you're going to the right place as far as right-clicking wallpaper and then clicking ATI Control Center.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 pm
  • Lymon, on your desktop, right-click on it (not on an icon), and it'll bring up a sub-menu. Left-click on "screen resolution". Once that comes up, change it to 1920x1080 (I'm guessing that's the monitor's native resolution).
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:46 pm
  • Bingo! Thanks guys, it worked!
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information