Do you think XL could have been fixed like European soccer?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13

  • I hate the fact that I do think this is a possibility.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13946
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • Also got to remember that half of Europe is as bent as a nine bob note.

    (Not us, mind)
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7926
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Also got to remember that half of Europe is as bent as a nine bob note.

    (Not us, mind)

    Not to mention FIFA is one of the most corrupt organizations in the known universe.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 5737
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • No one will ever convince me that on some level XL wasn't fixed. I think the higher ups in the NFL know it and why there was a commissioner change and no word of him going into the Hall of Fame. I'm not saying he orchestrated it I think he covered it up.
    User avatar
    garrylt4
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 110
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:19 pm


  • SeatownJay wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Also got to remember that half of Europe is as bent as a nine bob note.

    (Not us, mind)

    Not to mention FIFA is one of the most corrupt organizations in the known universe.


    Im not sure about the history, but this time the bust was caused by "gangsters" who get players, refs, or any body who can cause a huge impact on the game and tell them to take a dive or something.
    I dont believe Fifa its self is corrupt but gangsters make it corrupt.
    User avatar
    Axx
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm


  • Axx wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Also got to remember that half of Europe is as bent as a nine bob note.

    (Not us, mind)

    Not to mention FIFA is one of the most corrupt organizations in the known universe.


    I dont believe Fifa its self is corrupt but gangsters make it corrupt.


    Green street hooligans???
    User avatar
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 335
    Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:55 am
    Location: LA


  • FIFA is about as corrupt as an organisation can be. Sepp Blatter is a hideous person who acts in his own interests, not gangsters'. In these soccer match/spot fixing allegations, however, I doubt FIFA had anything to do with it. It's people betting on games trying to influence the outcome for financial gain rather than an organization trying to create a narrative.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1237
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


  • Here is what kills me about SBXL. A friend attended the game and was on the 40 at 100 level, right in perfect view of the Locklear hold. He said before the ball was snapped a stealer jumped off sides and the official immediately pulled his flag before there was even a possibility of a hold. He knew they were calling holding then suddenly thr call comes out as offsides.
    Here's the frustrating part. Of all the viewing angles, the only one shown doesn't show the official so ypu cannot verify what he daid.

    Why has no other camera view ever been shown of that play? I think just like the official that initially ran down the goal line with one hand up indicating no TD on Ben's phantom TD, only to raise his other arm indicating TD. The official was in fact throwing the flag for offsides before realizing what he was doing and then changed the call to protect the Stealers. There wasn't a delay on throwing the flag like on Tjacks supposed push off. The flag couldn't have been thrown for holding.

    The frustrating part is you know there are camera angles available to prove it so why has no one ever requested it? Or have they only to be denied?
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2902
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • Holy christ. How long has it been? 7 years? Time to get over XL. I have been over it for that long. Geez.
    User avatar
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 2187
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm


  • Seahwkgal wrote:Holy christ. How long has it been? 7 years? Time to get over XL. I have been over it for that long. Geez.


    I have forgotten about it for the most part, but this new soccer article got me thinking, Bill Leavy and some of his crew members were probably paid off by a outside source who bet a lot of money on the Pittsburgh steelers to win it. It's even more relevant considering that the forty niners felt like they were truly robbed. I really enjoyed the reffing of the game, it didnt feel like it played a huge factor in the game like it did in XL
    Last edited by Axx on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Axx
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Also got to remember that half of Europe is as bent as a nine bob note.

    (Not us, mind)


    Ha! Right....
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10423
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


  • If they actually (anyone) did an investigation I would feel alot better bat as long as the only thing we have to go on is Mike Piera's cover up, uhm I mean explanation, I will never forget what went down in February 2006.

    Sorry I have been a fan since 1976 and I have never seen anything so ridiculous. Good for you, maybe your a better person than me or maybe you just don't care as much, I don't know but I will take it to my grave believing an investigation would prove the game was fixed and not just a little bad luck.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2902
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • The fact Qatar got a world cup despite doing nothing in soccer and Russia getting a world cup despite a major racism problem shows just how corrupt Fifa are and how much money/bribes talk.

    I can't see the Superbowl being fixed but I do think there is probably pressure on the NFL and refs from advertisers and sponsors to get the bigger franchises/names through i.e NY, Steelers, Packers, Patriots. Same as there is in the Champions League- Man Utd, Real, Barcelona, Milan. I heard the sponsors were pissed the year Porto and Monaco made the final.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 203
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Seahwkgal wrote:Holy christ. How long has it been? 7 years? Time to get over XL. I have been over it for that long. Geez.


    (I would like to think - and hope - that your intent with the usage of your choice of first two words in your reply would not be appropriate for this forum.)

    It was the Super Bowl. Sort of a big deal. How many Super Bowl appearances do the Seahawks have in franchise history? Didn't Hawks fans (as well as that team that worked so hard to get there) deserve to see the game called equitably?

    I'm pretty sure the following is related to exactly what was posted:
    “I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game and as an official you never want to do that. It left me with a lot of sleepless nights and I think about it constantly. I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better.” - Bill Leavy (Aug 2010) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -seahawks/
    (Seems like Leavy is having a difficult time getting over it unless he was being disingenuous about the sleepless nights.)

    Sure, one cannot change the past. But, that doesn't mean history should be forgotten. Otherwise, how would injustices ever be determined to be just that? Just because it's brought up... doesn't necessarily mean someone is complaining and I personally don't think anyone deserved to have you lash out at them. It happened and there's definitely a body of evidence to suggest there was some sort of shady stuff goin on surrounding that game. The point was not being belabored. It's simply being brought up in light of apparent new information.

    Someone had posted a link to an online document (perhaps it was a book in online form) about the mafia in sports gambling, etc. back when all this was blowing up after the game in 2006. I started reading it, but then I think I stopped because I decided I'd rather try to remain as naive as possible to try to enjoy what I think (and hope) is fair competition as I root for my team and enjoy the sports I like to follow. I know there's a lot of conspiracy theory writings... but, not sure that one was such.
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:Someone had posted a link to an online document (perhaps it was a book in online form) about the mafia in sports gambling, etc. back when all this was blowing up after the game in 2006. I started reading it, but then I think I stopped because I decided I'd rather try to remain as naive as possible to try to enjoy what I think (and hope) is fair competition as I root for my team and enjoy the sports I like to follow. I know there's a lot of conspiracy theory writings... but, not sure that one was such.


    I feel like Bill Leavy and a few of his crew members were given a few hundred thousand possibly millions to go flag happy against the seahawks. I mean the run by Rapistburger did not cross the plane obviously but it still counted. I just got done watching a youtube video of all the calls in the game and it is pretty painful to watch....
    User avatar
    Axx
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm


  • Of course it was fixed! How can you even ask? there's a long history of fixed games in the NFL going back since its inception. Look it up sometime. Geez, people are so naive.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4486
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • Axx wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote:Someone had posted a link to an online document (perhaps it was a book in online form) about the mafia in sports gambling, etc. back when all this was blowing up after the game in 2006. I started reading it, but then I think I stopped because I decided I'd rather try to remain as naive as possible to try to enjoy what I think (and hope) is fair competition as I root for my team and enjoy the sports I like to follow. I know there's a lot of conspiracy theory writings... but, not sure that one was such.


    I feel like Bill Leavy and a few of his crew members were given a few hundred thousand possibly millions to go flag happy against the seahawks. I mean the run by Rapistburger did not cross the plane obviously but it still counted. I just got done watching a youtube video of all the calls in the game and it is pretty painful to watch....


    I doubt there is any actual evidence that the officials were paid off. That would definitely be pure speculation. But, money isn't the only leverage that could have been employed if any orders were given to do what they could to paint the game in one teams' favor. Ultimately, they couldn't control the game if the Seahawks would have been able to overcome every bad call they could (and did) come up with. But, I doubt any team could have that day.

    I just watched the NFL network half-hour highlight show of that atrocity with two of my boys who were too young at the time. Both are playing football now and wanted to watch their Dad's favorite team in the Super Bowl. It came down to a combination of lack of penalties not called on the other team - one of the most penalized teams in the league (and in the game esp all the push offs by Hines Ward - which he laughed about on late night TV after the game - I think it was Letterman show) vs. one of the least penalized teams in the league being stopped by the yellow flag. I had the opportunity to speak with Chris Berman mere weeks after XL and he essentially told me that was his opinion. Out of the many, even 3 key calls were enough to swing the game enough to kill the Hawks hopes. The officials did have that in their power... make no mistake. Neither team played perfect, but the Hawks outplayed the Steelers with few exceptions. That long TD run to open the 2nd half is an example of a 3rd string safety taking a bad angle. Not just on him, but he was the final barrier. It was amazing that the end of the first half long bomb no call TD to Darrell Jackson wasn't reviewed. That was close. I don't think plays were automatically reviewed at that point (... a long time ago ... in a galaxy far, far away... as some would like to suggest. Honestly, it's really not that long ago. For that matter... that Vinny Testeverde Jets game still feels like an injustice, but that was one key play - sort of like how some Packers fans feel about the week 3 game this year. Again, they can't be changed - but, we can have our opinions and I'm not sure why pushing the scene of the crime further into the recent past should change any of that or make me any more accepting of the injustice?)

    While I'm not going to get bunched up about it... I'm definitely never going to feel any differently about XL and can discuss it to some degree if ever brought up without caving to those who are just as insistent on the other side who behave as if it's some taboo to ever bring it up. I guess some fans just think they can establish some superior hierarchical level of fandom by simplistically insulting others about discussing a part of Seahawks history like this. There's a difference between "whining" and taking issue. The latter is done when there is good reason to. It's a tactic of an enemy to use a logical fallacy by appealing to some simplistic surface level issue to dismiss and accuse others of whining. (That is reserved for a specific fanbase, of course. ;) ) It wasn't just 1 play in the biggest game in the history of a franchise. It was much closer to an entire game of injustice. That... I take issue with.

    Go Hawks!!!
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


  • Seahwkgal wrote:Holy christ. How long has it been? 7 years? Time to get over XL. I have been over it for that long. Geez.


    I think we're all 'over it', but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it if the subject comes up, right?
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5241
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • RichNhansom wrote:Here is what kills me about SBXL. A friend attended the game and was on the 40 at 100 level, right in perfect view of the Locklear hold. He said before the ball was snapped a stealer jumped off sides and the official immediately pulled his flag before there was even a possibility of a hold. He knew they were calling holding then suddenly thr call comes out as offsides.
    Here's the frustrating part. Of all the viewing angles, the only one shown doesn't show the official so ypu cannot verify what he daid.

    Why has no other camera view ever been shown of that play? I think just like the official that initially ran down the goal line with one hand up indicating no TD on Ben's phantom TD, only to raise his other arm indicating TD. The official was in fact throwing the flag for offsides before realizing what he was doing and then changed the call to protect the Stealers.


    I remember Hass, and the other players saying that they thought it was off-sides and assumed it was a free play for them! That's why when it was called holding, ignoring the off-sides, Hass kind of flipped out and got so flustered at that point, it was just so ridiculous.
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5241
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • M
    Follow me on Twitter: @BadGuy711
    User avatar
    BadGuy711
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 49
    Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:45 am


  • Naw. The NFL isn't nearly the money machine European soccer is. There's no way they'd rig the Super Bowl just for a couple more East Coast fans. Not a chance. Do you realize how much Seahawks merchandise they missed out on selling?
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18155
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • It's not rigging it for the fans, how about some important betters in Vegas who put some serious money down and decided to put down a little insurance on their bets payable to Leavy and his cronies.
    User avatar
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 904
    Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:08 pm


  • Super Bowl XL is the reason why I could care less about the NFL and the other 31 teams in the league. I've been a diehard Seahawks fan my entire life, and that will never change, but that's where my allegiance lies. You might say that's ridiculous since they play in the NFL but that's my stance and it's never changing. Any good feelings I had towards the NFL died on that day.

    Just noticed that they just posted that sham of a game on Youtube in it's entirety just yesterday. I don't think I have the heart to watch it.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1389
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • CaptainSkybeard wrote:It's not rigging it for the fans, how about some important betters in Vegas who put some serious money down and decided to put down a little insurance on their bets payable to Leavy and his cronies.


    Again, we can only speculate which doesn't get us anywhere. But, the ridiculousness of what everyone saw with that officiating SHOULD make one wonder that there was "pressure" put on someone in some fashion to shape the game. Money does funny things to people and there's a shady side to all of this that simple fans of the game would probably rather not want to hear about (not that anyone would hear anything.) Is it absurd to think that those involved in big money are powerful enough to at least try to "influence" a game?
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


  • NYCoug wrote:Super Bowl XL is the reason why I could care less about the NFL and the other 31 teams in the league. I've been a diehard Seahawks fan my entire life, and that will never change, but that's where my allegiance lies. You might say that's ridiculous since they play in the NFL but that's my stance and it's never changing. Any good feelings I had towards the NFL died on that day.

    Just noticed that they just posted that sham of a game on Youtube in it's entirety just yesterday. I don't think I have the heart to watch it.

    I hear ya. Though perhaps I don't take quite as extreme a stance, my feelings toward the NFL definitely changed that day as well.
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


  • with the exception of games in Italy which are rigged by the teams themselves, most of these match-fixing games have come involving lower-league teams, or in the cases of some of the champions league games - eastern european teams where the majority of the players are making peanuts.

    The match-fixing is typically done through the players than the refs who go or it for some extra cash, XL was incompetence and nothing more. Stop looking for the bigger conspiracy. Incompetent refs all err on the side of the favourite/home team (Steelers certainly had more of the support that day), that's why you'll always seen Man Utd get the decisions in their favour in England
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2325
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • I don't necessarily think the game was rigged. I don't even care. The bottom line is that it was incompetence of the worst degree on the largest stage. I'm sure Bill Leavy and his crew heard all the heroic Jerome Bettis and Bill Cowher stories of them riding off into the sunset and I'm sure to some degree that had an effect on how they officiated the game.

    What bothers me is that the NFL allowed such a clearly incompetent crew to officiate such a massive game. It might've been "just another ring" for the Stealers but for the Hawks that game could've changed the entire outlook of the franchise. Now, I'm starting to get over it because I'm starting to realize that without XL maybe we don't have the current regime that we do now. But that's the only reason why I've been able to get over XL.

    Ahh, that game was such a s*** show. It gets my blood boiling every time haha
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1389
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • There was certainly something wrong with Super Bowl XL. The least penalized team in the league s hit for 7 penalties for 70 yards? Pittsburgh had 3 penalties, 2 were procedure penalties which had to be called, all were 5 yard penalties and NONE for offensive holding?

    Even the "push-off" in the end-zone on DJack.. REALLY? ANYONE who watched that play in its entirity could see the there was contact, from the DB downfield. So Jackson extends his arms, catches a TD pass, then the DB has a fit and a flag was thrown. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?!?!?!?! That really happened...

    The Roethlisraper TD... OK, everyone wants to argue the whether the plane was crossed, but I choose to refer to the Tackle on Leroy Hill by Faneca. As Big Boner starts his run, Hill is poised to meet him on around the 7, maybe the 5 at best. Faneca literally tackles him.. OK, so we aren't going to be calling holding this game, fine.. But is that how it works out?

    The Holding call... We had two Steeler fans in my living room watching that game, before Hasselbeck even threw the ball to Stevens (who was down on the 1 yard line) even THEY saw the offsides on Haggans. We all did. Not only did the officials NOT call it, but they called holding on the player blocking him!! We all know the deal, they can call holding on every play right? That wasn't holding. We know that, but the damage was done. That single call was the game, right there. It led to the following INT, which led to a 15 yard penalty, which put the Steelers in perfect position to throw the gadget bomb. It didn't matter, I knew that no matter what the Hawks did, if it threatened the game, it was going to be turned.

    Dirty as it gets... Why? I choose to think that rather than the story of Bettis, the Vegas line or just plain Steeler franchise love to keep the national bandwagon happy, that it was a combination of those things and one fact. Regardless if the game was fixed or not, whether it was perfectly called and the Seahawks just lost, IF the Seahawks win that game, there is an amazing amount of money to be lost (or just not obtained) for the League. That is fact that cannot be argued. Did it mean it was fixed? We will never know, but it is true in any case. There are those that claim the Hawks could have won that game if they did XXXX better or made more plays. I disagree, the ONLY way that the Hawks win that game is if they have 7 turnovers for scores. Event then I wonder if the plays would get called back.

    I don't care.. That time is done, it was obvious and it sucks. This team is different, the 2005 team was the pinnacle of the Holmy era Seahawks, the current team is just getting started and now the NFL has a darling in Seattle with RW. No stopping them now.
    Eh... Whatever...
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5260
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


  • I don't know if XL was fixed for sure, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out it was. I remember watching it at a friends, and before half-time we were all thinking that the fix was in. I think one thing that sold me is the black and white pics of the players holding the Lombardi trophy, and that the Steeler pics vastly outnumbered Seahawks. I started to think then, that this was a story line like pro-wrestling. Seattle was the nameless foe in the way of Pittsburgh getting another ring.

    I have believed since then that some games are not in complete control of the coaches or guys on the field.

    Am I bitter? Yes. I waited my whole life for that game, and I feel like it was stolen. Am I over it? No. I just live with it now.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    User avatar
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1333
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 pm
    Location: Tri-Cities, WA


  • Damnit... rewatched it a bit on youtube... we did so many crappy things in that game. DJ Hackett should have caught the ball in the endzone. Clock management at the end of the 2nd half.... uuugh it was so baaaaad... And Hasselbecks interception was really really stupid, yes the call prior was horrible and frustration and what not, but we were well within field goal range, (yeah brown missed 2 but those were from faaar away) A field goal there makes it 14-13 with like 12 minutes left of the game. Best case we get the ball back down 1 point. Worst case we get it back down eight points (if the stealers would have scored there though, any smart coach should go for two to make it a 2 possession game, so i guess there is a slight chance we could have been down 9 at the worst POSSIBLE) Still, dont throw the damn interception and we have a 1 point game with 12 mins to go.


    And yes, we STILL win this horrible game if the refs call it fair.
    Swedishhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1141
    Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am


  • It's hard to blame incompetence vs fix when you watch the way some of the calls came out. Ref raising one hand signaling no td only to raise his other hand half way to the ball. Looked like he changed his mind. Why?

    The clear offsides on Haggan's to suddenly change to holding and no clear view of when thw flag came out but a friend that was at the game said it came out to fast to be anything but thrown for offsides. Notuce no camera angle shows when the official actually pulled the flag. Kind of convenient.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2902
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • We never got to see when the flag came out, but I knew Haggans was offsides at the snap. It was a free play, the Steeler fans at my house were bummed, they were saying that entire time that if the Hawks scored, it was over.

    One thing is certain, the game dynamic changes drastically if the Hawks are up 17-14, kicking off and the Steelers starting around the 20, needing to score in a game they basically had one big run and a 3rd and 24 completion as their only big plays. Having a lead, with little time, from mid-field was the perfect time for their gadget play. The Hawks made mistakes, that is for sure, but the Steelers made more and didn't have to pay for it.
    Eh... Whatever...
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5260
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


  • NYCoug wrote:Super Bowl XL is the reason why I could care less about the NFL and the other 31 teams in the league. I've been a diehard Seahawks fan my entire life, and that will never change, but that's where my allegiance lies. You might say that's ridiculous since they play in the NFL but that's my stance and it's never changing. Any good feelings I had towards the NFL died on that day.

    Just noticed that they just posted that sham of a game on Youtube in it's entirety just yesterday. I don't think I have the heart to watch it.

    This.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10752
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • Seahwkgal wrote:Holy christ. How long has it been? 7 years? Time to get over XL. I have been over it for that long. Geez.

    Good gawd how I love it when people tell me how to feel! <sarcasm off>
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10752
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • I don't usually talk anymore about XL, as it's over and nothing is going to change the outcome. But what is very interesting to me is how every time I have spoken to a Steelers fan and we bring up Super Bowl games they never really want to talk about that game. They always love to talk about every other victory, but when it comes to XL, they just clam up or change the subject. I don't even tell them that I'm a major Seahawk fan, just that I love football and follow several teams.

    So if many Steeler fans don't want to acknowledge their own victory, it has to make you wonder how the rest of the NFL fan base think about what happened that day. Just saying.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1373
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • SalishHawkFan wrote:Of course it was fixed! How can you even ask? there's a long history of fixed games in the NFL going back since its inception. Look it up sometime. Geez, people are so naive.


    I have watched SB XL and I must admit there were some crappy calls in that game, where I am sure if I was a Seahawk fan I would have broken something while watching it. The biggest game changing call was the rush by Roethlisberger for the TD that OBVIOUSLY never even broke the plane. And I imagine the apology from the ref years later was more of a slap in the face if anything.

    Now question, how do you guys feel SB 47 was officiated? For a second please forget about the hate you have for the Niners and even imagine that it was the Seahawks on the field aginst the Ravens for a moment, as the game is over and nothing can change the outcome now. The holding non-call on the 108 yd kick off return, wich was obviously a game changer as we lost by only 3 points, and the lack of ejection of Cary Williams when he pushed an official about 3 yards away from the fight in the 2nd quarter which is an automatic ejection by the rule book. Do you guys think it was a well officiated game?

    [Hate off]...........[Hate on]. You can use this template if needed. ;)
    Last edited by NinerLifer on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • I don't remember seeing a hold on the return, but I was very surprised when I thought I saw a Raven push a ref with no penalty. Something must have happened that changed the circumstance there. I liked that the refs let both teams play and kept the flags in their pockets for the most part. The problem was the first half for the niners, not the refs. They didn't play good enough football to get to point fingers, imo.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8687
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • AbsolutNET wrote:I don't remember seeing a hold on the return, but I was very surprised when I thought I saw a Raven push a ref with no penalty. Something must have happened that changed the circumstance there. I liked that the refs let both teams play and kept the flags in their pockets for the most part. The problem was the first half for the niners, not the refs. They didn't play good enough football to get to point fingers, imo.


    I have to concur. I have more issues with extraneous flags or ticky-tac flags during the big games than I do for the no-calls. I too was surprised though at the non-ejection. I thought for sure there would be something big there. I must say though, that if you are on the field playing in this game, and you watch the refs let THAT slide by, you have to realize EXACTLY how little the refs were going to call in this game.
    Image
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 12814
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • AbsolutNET wrote:I don't remember seeing a hold on the return, but I was very surprised when I thought I saw a Raven push a ref with no penalty. Something must have happened that changed the circumstance there. I liked that the refs let both teams play and kept the flags in their pockets for the most part. The problem was the first half for the niners, not the refs. They didn't play good enough football to get to point fingers, imo.


    Ya I am not trying to make up for our lack of proficiency in the 1st half.

    As far as the rule goes from my understanding, if a player puts his hand on a ref it is an automatic ejection and can't be changed by offsetting penalties.

    I didn't see the hold on the return initially myself, but now there are vids all over the internet that show it blatantly that also shows that it was in plain sight of a ref.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv1v4CW-vKE

    In the video you can see Bruce Miller getting "Sandwiched" by two Ravens. And as you can tell from his proximity to Jacoby Jones, the hole he ran through wouldn't have been there.

    Either way, I just wanted to chime in and say that you guys did get robbed in SBXL in my opinion.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • He was getting held by two Ravens, so they off-set.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8687
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • AbsolutNET wrote:He was getting held by two Ravens, so they off-set.


    Probably the logic our pathetic refs used actually LOL.

    I think if the day came that we all found out that the NFL was an orchestrated event where the outcomes were influenced by the league through the refs, I would take up golf.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • loafoftatupu wrote:There was certainly something wrong with Super Bowl XL. The least penalized team in the league s hit for 7 penalties for 70 yards? Pittsburgh had 3 penalties, 2 were procedure penalties which had to be called, all were 5 yard penalties and NONE for offensive holding?

    Even the "push-off" in the end-zone on DJack.. REALLY? ANYONE who watched that play in its entirity could see the there was contact, from the DB downfield. So Jackson extends his arms, catches a TD pass, then the DB has a fit and a flag was thrown. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?!?!?!?! That really happened...

    The Roethlisraper TD... OK, everyone wants to argue the whether the plane was crossed, but I choose to refer to the Tackle on Leroy Hill by Faneca. As Big Boner starts his run, Hill is poised to meet him on around the 7, maybe the 5 at best. Faneca literally tackles him.. OK, so we aren't going to be calling holding this game, fine.. But is that how it works out?

    The Holding call... We had two Steeler fans in my living room watching that game, before Hasselbeck even threw the ball to Stevens (who was down on the 1 yard line) even THEY saw the offsides on Haggans. We all did. Not only did the officials NOT call it, but they called holding on the player blocking him!! We all know the deal, they can call holding on every play right? That wasn't holding. We know that, but the damage was done. That single call was the game, right there. It led to the following INT, which led to a 15 yard penalty, which put the Steelers in perfect position to throw the gadget bomb. It didn't matter, I knew that no matter what the Hawks did, if it threatened the game, it was going to be turned.

    Dirty as it gets... Why? I choose to think that rather than the story of Bettis, the Vegas line or just plain Steeler franchise love to keep the national bandwagon happy, that it was a combination of those things and one fact. Regardless if the game was fixed or not, whether it was perfectly called and the Seahawks just lost, IF the Seahawks win that game, there is an amazing amount of money to be lost (or just not obtained) for the League. That is fact that cannot be argued. Did it mean it was fixed? We will never know, but it is true in any case. There are those that claim the Hawks could have won that game if they did XXXX better or made more plays. I disagree, the ONLY way that the Hawks win that game is if they have 7 turnovers for scores. Event then I wonder if the plays would get called back.

    I don't care.. That time is done, it was obvious and it sucks. This team is different, the 2005 team was the pinnacle of the Holmy era Seahawks, the current team is just getting started and now the NFL has a darling in Seattle with RW. No stopping them now.

    I agree and well said.
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


  • loafoftatupu wrote:We never got to see when the flag came out, but I knew Haggans was offsides at the snap. It was a free play, the Steeler fans at my house were bummed, they were saying that entire time that if the Hawks scored, it was over.

    One thing is certain, the game dynamic changes drastically if the Hawks are up 17-14, kicking off and the Steelers starting around the 20, needing to score in a game they basically had one big run and a 3rd and 24 completion as their only big plays. Having a lead, with little time, from mid-field was the perfect time for their gadget play. The Hawks made mistakes, that is for sure, but the Steelers made more and didn't have to pay for it.

    Exactly.
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


  • I thought the officiating was very good overall. Sure there were things that could have been called but then you are starting to ride that fine line between good officiating and ticky tacky officiating. The PI against Crabtree at the end would normally be called in the middle of the game but as was brought up on Kiro radio. Based on the history of calls in the last two minutes of any game there was about a 2% chance that gets called and in a playoff game it drops to 1%. So while it was an obvious no call, it would have actually been abnormal for a flag to come out.

    I think the bigger question than the officiating should be what might have happened without that power outage? Up to that point the Ravens had all the momentum and were playing great. After the power finally came back on the Ravens looked like they were completely lost. Would the outcome have been the same without the power outage? Maybe but it is one hell of a coincidence that the game took a complete 180 immediately following it.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2902
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • NinerLifer wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:He was getting held by two Ravens, so they off-set.


    Probably the logic our pathetic refs used actually LOL.

    I think if the day came that we all found out that the NFL was an orchestrated event where the outcomes were influenced by the league through the refs, I would take up golf.

    I think XL turned many Hawks fans into exclusive Hawks fans (not Hawk + NFL fans). So, whether it is or is not an orchestrated event... we are on a fan pilgrimage to see the first of hopefully many Seahawks Championships realized. It's close and it's going to happen. Let's hope, as well, that the Seahawks give you plenty of time to go ahead and take up golf!

    I appreciate you saying the Hawks got robbed. I live in Florida and still to this day have fans of numerous other teams remind me of that when I'm seen wearing my gear. That was the overwhelming consensus. If this is at all helpful as far as gauging whether or not anything near that is being said about the officiating of the recent game (since you asked earlier in the thread)... I have not heard one single comment about that being the case from any of the numerous other various NFL team fans I see often. It appears to be a non-issue, comparatively. Seems like the only reason it was given press was Jim Harbaugh's reaction after the last SF play. I'm sure it's more discussed in the Bay area. I did think the 49ers would score on that last drive (and was thinking that would be a disaster for the NFL because of that "2nd halftime" that killed the Ravens momentum.) I was surprised that the 49ers didn't try to run Kaepernick. Sounds like that's more the questions being asked rather than the officiating. I think it would've been a very controversial call if they would have called holding on that last play... especially where the ball was thrown. I'm trying to be objective there.
    World Champion
    Image
    Seattle Seahawks
    User avatar
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 865
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 am
    Location: Orlando, FL


  • Occam's Razor. Or, don't attribute to malevolence what can be explained by incompetence.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 5737
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:He was getting held by two Ravens, so they off-set.


    Probably the logic our pathetic refs used actually LOL.

    I think if the day came that we all found out that the NFL was an orchestrated event where the outcomes were influenced by the league through the refs, I would take up golf.

    I think XL turned many Hawks fans into exclusive Hawks fans (not Hawk + NFL fans). So, whether it is or is not an orchestrated event... we are on a fan pilgrimage to see the first of hopefully many Seahawks Championships realized. It's close and it's going to happen. Let's hope, as well, that the Seahawks give you plenty of time to go ahead and take up golf!

    I appreciate you saying the Hawks got robbed. I live in Florida and still to this day have fans of numerous other teams remind me of that when I'm seen wearing my gear. That was the overwhelming consensus. If this is at all helpful as far as gauging whether or not anything near that is being said about the officiating of the recent game (since you asked earlier in the thread)... I have not heard one single comment about that being the case from any of the numerous other various NFL team fans I see often. It appears to be a non-issue, comparatively. Seems like the only reason it was given press was Jim Harbaugh's reaction after the last SF play. I'm sure it's more discussed in the Bay area. I did think the 49ers would score on that last drive (and was thinking that would be a disaster for the NFL because of that "2nd halftime" that killed the Ravens momentum.) I was surprised that the 49ers didn't try to run Kaepernick. Sounds like that's more the questions being asked rather than the officiating. I think it would've been a very controversial call if they would have called holding on that last play... especially where the ball was thrown. I'm trying to be objective there.


    Ya, at first the officiating was an issue for all us Niner fans because it is natural to blame others immediately after a loss before the rational side of our brain takes over Lol. Despite the non calls, all of us agree that Gore and/or Kaepernick should have been given a shot at running it in on our last offensive series. That is what bugs us today, not the officiating. Of course it would have been easier if some of the non calls were actually called, but despite the refs we still were in a position to win at the end, so it all boils down to the play calling on the last series.

    It doesn't matter and I am over it, and excited about the prospects of next season. I would actually be less confident if we would have won.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm





It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Rambitious and 15 guests