Jon Ryan speaks up on Culliver ...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Outfield":2cveqrhw said:
Eh... Even if you disagree with what he said (I do), I don't see why he should be suspended for freedom of speech.

All the players have moral turpitude clauses in their contracts. The league can discipline them as they see fit for rocking the boat. Culliver can say what he wants, but he may have to pay a serious price for it. That's how it works. He's not getting suspended from free speech, lol.

MrCarey

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":ggnc8hdc said:
If he was a white guy saying "Hell no I'm not sharing a locker room with any black guys" he would have been cut by now. I'd imagine some sort of punishment by his employer would be reasonable in this case.

Came to post exactly this.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
No one has brought up the fact that a comedian was the one asking him questions. Apparently he was asking him joke questions and then transitioned in serious talk when Culliver clearly didnt want to answer his questions. It wasnt at a press conference or anything. Still doesnt make it right, but Im wondering why a comedian would even be asking NFL players questions in this kind of setting. Young successful players suddenly thrust into the limelight and asked questioned by comedians isnt a good recipe.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
MrCarey":qdn38gh6 said:
AbsolutNET":qdn38gh6 said:
If he was a white guy saying "Hell no I'm not sharing a locker room with any black guys" he would have been cut by now. I'd imagine some sort of punishment by his employer would be reasonable in this case.

Came to post exactly this.

Although its still not right obviously, I think his statement stemmed from the fact that he didnt want to be in a locker room and get hit on or whatever. Still a dumb statement, but not anywhere near the seriousness of making a racist remark like the one you said

RichNhansom

Reaction score
What exactly is homophobic? I mean I am arachnophobic but I don't want to be a spider. I will also openly admit to stomping on spiders every chance I get.

I think some use the word as a self defense mechanism. If you don't like their preference it is only because you are secretly like them. I think that is a load of bullshit myself.

Now having said that, I am serious when I ask the question of what the word means. I don't care about any persons sexual preference but I don't want to see two gay people making out or even hear about their sexual exploits. My wife had a friend who was gay and I was fine with him. I only asked him to be discrete about it and on one occasion (the last time we got together) I actually kicked him out of my house. Not because he was gay but because he couldn't seem to avoid talking about his exploits. Now if we were in public and he started up, I would just leave but he was in my house and I had told him on multiple occasions I wasn't ok with hearing or seeing it. I didn't even care if he brought a boyfriend around as long as they were respectful.

Does this make me homophobic? I tell gay jokes and say things or people are gay but I have never even considered violence. Is it still gay bashing?

As for Culliver's comments, I think it's kind of funny. Not that it was the right thing to say but that he was so ignorant as to believe it was an ok thing to say publicly. What a complete moron.

Should the NFL come down on him for it? Maybe, I personally think the NFL should force the Niners to handle the situation and if they don't do so appropriately, I think the NFL should come down on the franchise. I also don't think he should be allowed to play in the super bowl. There is no question that he made the comments and that the comments are racist. If he were a Seahawk I would be embarrassed as hell and hope the team acted immediately and harshly if for no other reason than to show that ignorance of any type, that directly affects the organization will not be tolerated. And yes, I do think this reflects on the organization.