RGIII is (Officially) Offensive Rookie of the Year

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Well, they still haven't announced the Pepsi Max ROY award yet. Maybe Russ gets that since votes were cast until yesterday I believe.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Donk70":3c9556yh said:
How the hell does Luck take 2nd?

There's 2 more chips on Russ' shoulder.

That would be easy to say, and with most players it might be true, but I don't think Russell plays angry. He seems to be far more grounded than that. This will just increase his focus, which if it gets any sharper, could probably cut tungsten steel. Can't wait for next year.

drdiags

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":10hcli0l said:
Well, they still haven't announced the Pepsi Max ROY award yet. Maybe Russ gets that since votes were cast until yesterday I believe.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Will Brinson ‏@willbrinson
Russell Wilson named the 2012 Pepsi Max Rookie of the Year. It's different than official AP award obviously. #NFLHonors

DirtSkins

Reaction score
While it doesn't really matter whether or not RW got 2nd or 3rd, I do think that's ridiculous. Luck had lots of passing yards, hooray...That nonsense about him being on the worst team is just that. The Colts were an annual 13-3 team, with 1, just ONE down year.

I wasn't going to be surprised with either Russel or Robert getting it. Rob was awesome right out of the gate. I think it took a few (just a few) games for Russel to get 100% comfortable, but he closed out a little better, and Rob missed a game.

My Hawks buddy and I were joking how it was gonna be downright 50/50. Both had awesome RBs, can't separate that. Both limited their turnovers. RG3 had less, but Russel more passing TDs. Both quickly became the leaders of their teams, both went to the playoffs.

I guess RG3 won his division, and was rookie of the week 7 times during the year. That, and yes, the voting process, gave him the edge. I wouldn't call it a 'bias' though. I mean, you're kidding right, the media over here has DESTROYED the Redskins over the years. (As for them favoring Shannahan over Carrol, that also must be a joke lol, they wanted Shanny FIRED this year..) The media's just busier on the east, more people, more voters, whatever. Then again, it is 2013, and everything happens on cell phones and tablets.

RG3 had 7 rookie of the weeks, 2 rookie of the months, 2 NFC player of the weeks, had a "perfect game" (59th in history, and youngest player to do so), and made the pro bowl.

Russel had 1 rookie of the week, 1 rookie of the month, 1 NFC player of the week, and made the pro bowl.

You could point to Russel's crazy awesome game winning drives, but RG3 had such games as well. Stalemate there imo.

I dunno how much all that matters. I dunno how much getting injured affects it. I do know, that for awhile, the Seahawks and Redskins were the 2 hottest teams in the NFC by far, both lead by their rookie and their awesome running game. So it had to take a lot of nitpicking to find a winner, and I'm guessing once they looked at every stat (RG3 broke a number a rookie records this year as well), RG3 started to look better on paper.

Again, I wouldn't have been surprised either way. RG3 was kind of expected to do some great things, but Russel came almost out of nowhere and did arguably just as well.

Besides, the Hawks have the more important victory over the Skins lately...

BASF

Reaction score
Griffin had better numbers except for less TD's thrown in less time played due to injury. The fact that Griffin led the league for the lowest INT percentage as a rookie starting 15 games was remarkable. As much as people put Luck over for his turning around a franchise Griffin took a crappy offensive team and transformed their offense into a number 4 team in points and number 5 in yards. He had more help than Luck with a very capable running back, but you can't make that argument in favor of Wilson since we have Lynch.

I love Wilson, but he did not deserve to win over Griffin.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Wilson won the fan vote. Just shows you who really became the biggest star of the three once everything was said and done this season.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
BASF":2pfyzl5g said:
Griffin had better numbers except for less TD's thrown in less time played due to injury.

The difference between the two's numbers was marginal at best, and Wilson played in a much tougher division. Griffin was also fortunate enough to play within a stat-padding offensive system that was also a mirror image of what he ran at Baylor. The numbers alone don't really tell you anything where they're that close.

Also, Griffin threw for six less TDs than Wilson. He wouldn't have made that up by playing one extra game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
As I've said before, half of RG3's passes were screens and shovels to the RB, it's BS that he won by such a large margin; and Luck getting 1 more vote than Wilson? Yeah, ok. Douches.

DirtSkins

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1z3a1x7e said:
As I've said before, half of RG3's passes were screens and shovels to the RB, it's BS that he won by such a large margin; and Luck getting 1 more vote than Wilson? Yeah, ok. Douches.

I agree Wilson should have been closer, but come on man, the thing about dumpoff passes has been squashed. He lead the league in completion % on passes 20+ yards, and actually averaged slightly more yards per pass all year than Russel.

If anything you would say he benefited from a great running game, but of course, so did Russel.

Axx

Reaction score
DirtSkins":3mioirx2 said:
RolandDeschain":3mioirx2 said:

I agree Wilson should have been closer, but come on man, the thing about dumpoff passes has been squashed. He lead the league in completion % on passes 20+ yards, and actually averaged slightly more yards per pass all year than Russel.

If anything you would say he benefited from a great running game, but of course, so did Russel.

Wilson benefited from a defense and special team that always put him in good position.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Axx":3vd86gyh said:
DirtSkins":3vd86gyh said:
RolandDeschain":3vd86gyh said:

Wilson benefited from a defense and special team that always put him in good position.

Yeh. Just like the Chicago game. They really put him in a good position. Whatever.

Doesn't matter. Wilson has shown he can florish no matter what.

Bipolar

Reaction score
Rat":eidxp9s8 said:
I'm OK with Griffin winning it, although that's obviously not where my vote would have gone.

After this season long debate, it Luck not winning it almost feels like a Russell victory.

+1.

HUGGY

Reaction score
Something like 50 voters? That's pretty lame. The award should go to Robbie3G's publicity agent.

How can a guy that is THAT valuable dissregard his team"s investment and run outside of protection sustaining a VERY predictable injury and have any claim to be the best rookie?

People claim praise on his accomplishments in 12 or so games compared to 17 for Luck and a bright future for the Colt's where he can pick up where he left off...and 18 for Wilson who when deciding to run outside of the pocket did not sustain so much as a scratch allowing his brilliant rookie season to build into a very exciting second season for the Seahawks.

There is no gaurantee that 3Gc P O will be anything next season like he was in season one.

It isn't like he is Adrian Peterson that only has to do one thing well. AND Peterson is a fluke. NOBODY comes back from surgery like THAT. WASH will not have Bobby to help prepare for 2013. He will be lucky if he is healthy enough to play at all until mid or late September. His preventable injury and surgery has put WASH in a very bad position to "Pick up where a healthy 3G left off".

NFC East teams will be going after his repaired knee. RG3's rookie year will end up being a novelty. His award will end up being a joke.

This thing reminds me of Michael Vick's pre NFL publicity and what actually transpired minus the dog abuse.

DirtSkins

Reaction score
I dunno how a nose tackle falling on your leg is predictable. RG was hurt in a scramble that every last QB in the NFL would have attempted. Down 8, 2 minute warning, had to get the yards. And it helped them win the game which was a downright miracle. So while you look at that as a bad thing, maybe others look at it as a gutsy performance with an unfortunate injury in between. The thing RG3 people need to fear is the designed runs/keeps, but even in that regard, he showed huge improvement throughout the year in protecting himself. You call it predictable because of all those designed runs, but he was never even CLOSE to getting hurt on any of those. Twas a scramble, was unfortunate.

As for Adrian Peterson being a freak, sure he is. But medicine comes a long way each and every year. Did you know they're using stem cells (from the patients own bone marrow) for these knee surgeries treatments in the last couple years? The return timetable gets shorter every year.

The only thing I'm with you on is that it sucks for the Skins to not have RG3 'evolve' as usual through offseason/preseason work. But all the talk (from Skins fans, too) about RG3 being careless and 'disregarding his teams investment' is just ridiculous. That's just not reality, there is no player that changes his style based on how much his team payed for him. He was hurt on a necessary scramble, and otherwise showed that he learned how to protect himself. And the Vick comparisons are getting SOOOOOOOO old....

Again, Russel beat the Skins in the playoffs. The Hawks currently own the Skins as far as playoff games. This little award really shouldn't be getting people so upset..