Getting Sidney Rice the ball more

mistaowen

Reaction score
Disclaimer, obviously I have no say in this matter since I am not Russell Wilson nor the offensive coordinator, but I just watched a video of RW highlights and Sidney made some ridiculous catches this season. I think one of the biggest things that could happen this off season is RW and Sidney developing more chemistry so he can truly be a #1 target for us. There were some throws this year that had no reason to be caught and he just snagged it out of the air. If they can grow together so RW doesn't need to run around in the backfield looking for a pass (even though that's one of his best talents), I don't see why he couldn't become a 10+ pass attempt per game receiver for us.

In the final few weeks of our season there were a few plays where Sidney was wiiiide open and due to pressure/not seeing him he didn't get the ball. I am hoping film studies over the offseason with the WR crew can make them a dominate force in the NFL for years to come.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Improving the pass blocking will help as well. It's amazing how little time Wilson had in the pocket at times.

Sidney was open a LOT this season. He has some of the best hands in the league.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Weird. I was going to make this same thread. Rewatching SNF Game right now. One thing I also noticed is Side gets pissed when he's wide open and gets vocal with RW, which is what I want but I couldn't help but wonder if the chemistry between them is 'off' somehow.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
hgwellz12":k0uo80i3 said:
If it is I'm sure it's nothing a full off/preseason couldn't get remedied.

That's my hope. Sidney when healthy is a legit #1 receiver in the NFL. I hope they can get on the same page early in the off season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Our pass protection was significantly worse than our run blocking, and the only reason our pass pro ranked in the middle of the NFL pack was because of how good Wilson is at scrambling.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sidney led the team in targets, receptions and receiving yards. We just didn't throw the ball a lot. I'm guessing we'll throw it more in 2013.

End of thread.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":h1u20845 said:
Our pass protection was significantly worse than our run blocking, and the only reason our pass pro ranked in the middle of the NFL pack was because of how good Wilson is at scrambling.

BADA Bing!!! Can you imagine what kind of team we would have if we could "reincarnate" Walter Jones?

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
DavidSeven":bif1mpo2 said:
Sidney led the team in targets, receptions and receiving yards. We just didn't throw the ball a lot. I'm guessing we'll throw it more in 2013.

End of thread.

Nice, glad we can end the thread. Thanks for your insight. My only hope is you're the offensive coordinator next year so 'guessing' we'll throw it more becomes a reality.

Radish/Absolute/J can this guy become a mod? That way anytime someone creates a thread he can put his stamp on it and then close it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We're going to throw it more in 2013. Our staff isn't stupid, Pete only wants/wanted a run-first offense because you can build one without the near-impossible task of finding an elite QB. Good run blocking and a good RB can go a long ways. We're going to pass to open up the run starting this fall. Beast Mode may even become BM2K and hit 2,000 yards. We are going to have a ridiculous offense. Maker my words!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
mistaowen":29bdd2v8 said:
DavidSeven":29bdd2v8 said:

End of thread.

Nice, glad we can end the thread. Thanks for your insight. My only hope is you're the offensive coordinator next year so 'guessing' we'll throw it more becomes a reality.

Radish/Absolute/J can this guy become a mod? That way anytime someone creates a thread he can put his stamp on it and then close it.

What else needs to be said? Relative to the rest of the team, Sidney got his targets. Everyone and their mom expects them to throw the ball more next season, so if Sidney is still the best receiver on the team, his numbers will go up accordingly. If you have something useful to add, please, by all means, share.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
DavidSeven":10x43wab said:
mistaowen":10x43wab said:
DavidSeven":10x43wab said:

End of thread.

What else needs to be said? Relative to the rest of the team, Sidney got his targets. Everyone and their mom expects them to throw the ball more next season, so if Sidney is still the best receiver on the team, his numbers will go up accordingly. If you have something useful to add, please, by all means, share.

Correct, that's why I am glad we can end the thread buddy. Lol if I have something useful to share? I made this to talk about how I watched Sidney only getting about ~3 designed targets a game and saw him make some ridiculous hand catches, aka I hope we start designing more presnap calls to him. Like I said, originally, I am not RW or the Bevell, but by observation I was HOPING we would target him more. I'm glad that in hind sight Sidney should see his numbers goes up.

Tumblr m4ba39wFYy1r1o78io1 500

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1z6biq1s said:
If you have something useful to add, please, by all means, share.

There's no need to be a dick over internet disagreements.

Where everyone else remembers bad pass protection, I remember a ton of snaps where Wilson had five seconds to progress and took a while to find an open man, if he ever did. Part of this is no doubt his height. Part of it, I still imagine, is lack of WR talent. We are, after all, relying a very thin group, and Golden Tate and Anthony McCoy still run lazy routes too often.

I tend to think the reality is a combination of factors. Oftentimes the pass pro breaks down (though I also think Kearly is correct in his oft-stated opinion that we're actually seeing league-average pass pro and we're just spoiled by the ironclad protection from the 2005 O-line). When the pass pro doesn't break down, people aren't getting open, or aren't doing so at the right times or places or durations. Also, Wilson himself will always be the kind of guy to leave a few plays on the field, even if he is brilliant at creating new ones.

A few different moves could fix this situation. Personally, I'd prefer the route of improving our WR group, as it's pretty shallow and our OL honestly isn't.

razgriz737

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3hmqpqaw said:
DavidSeven":3hmqpqaw said:
If you have something useful to add, please, by all means, share.

There's no need to be a dick over internet disagreements.
Not to derail the thread, but he was only being a dick in response to dickish comments.

I'm happy with spreading the ball around. I think we could get Rice the ball more, but I like Tate to get his touches. Dude does crazy stuff once he gets the ball. Don't forget Miller either. Not to mention if we end up drafting a guy like Hopkins or someone similar.

BASF

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":8ka41t57 said:
A few different moves could fix this situation. Personally, I'd prefer the route of improving our WR group, as it's pretty shallow and our OL honestly isn't.

A lot of good stuff in this post, but this is the part I agree with the most. Obomanu, Kearse and Martin have got to be the least talented 4, 5 and 6 in the league. Kearse may have the talent, but lacks the concentration to be more than a 4 at best. We need the infusion to take the next step.

In regards to the Rice targets, be mindful that Pete wants a "point guard" QB who is going to enable the offense by spreading it around. The best offenses (Green Bay and New Orleans) spread the ball among four receivers, their backs and tight ends. The only player on those two teams receiver wise who has caught more than 80 passes in a season was Colston mostly because he is the possession guy on third downs.

sutz

Reaction score
BASF":3bwm8cct said:
MontanaHawk05":3bwm8cct said:

A lot of good stuff in this post, but this is the part I agree with the most. Obomanu, Kearse and Martin have got to be the least talented 4, 5 and 6 in the league. Kearse may have the talent, but lacks the concentration to be more than a 4 at best. We need the infusion to take the next step.

In regards to the Rice targets, be mindful that Pete wants a "point guard" QB who is going to enable the offense by spreading it around. The best offenses (Green Bay and New Orleans) spread the ball among four receivers, their backs and tight ends. The only player on those two teams receiver wise who has caught more than 80 passes in a season was Colston mostly because he is the possession guy on third downs.

Good points. The day of the 100 catch WR might be numbered as more and more offenses spread the ball around. Frankly, I prefer that. It increases the pressure on D knowing they have four or five guys to cover instead of just one or two. I'm not totally against drafting a good/great WR, but I also think that a WR might not be the best BPVA in the first round for us. Pete himself has said they will be looking for pass rush, and so far, he has pretty much done what he said he would do, even though we never seem to be able to guess the exact players.
;)

pehawk

Reaction score
Word, Montana. For every breakdown in protection, I saw two plays where Wilson bought time and no one got open.

A few years ago, alot of people were ripping Pete, saying he just didn't understand QB's or the passing game. When in reality, the regime just stayed true to their "dont panic and reach for QB's" ideaology. It worked. The offense WILL pass more next year, no doubt.

The evolution from a Lynch to Wilson offense will begin next year. Yes, they'll still run the ball, but the pass will set up the run from now on. Holmgren had to eventually ditch his tendencies and feed SA, Pete will do the same, it just makes too much sense. It makes sense on both sides of the ball.

Speed kills on defense, yeah, but it kills more gooder with the lead.

They'll never be the Patriots, but the'll be the 2009 Saints, for sure.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2qinwf7n said:
Weird. I was going to make this same thread. Rewatching SNF Game right now. One thing I also noticed is Side gets pissed when he's wide open and gets vocal with RW, which is what I want but I couldn't help but wonder if the chemistry between them is 'off' somehow.

This is my thought too. I mean just from my fan's perspective. It does seem like Sidney does find himself open a lot, and you find RW passing it to Tate or even running it down himself. And a big play may get made and we applaud it, but we all miss the bigger play that could have happened. You then see Sidney running with his arms wide out pissed. And yeah I can't help but wonder if there is some kind of beef between RW and SR. I mean it's obvious Tate and RW are buds cus they hang out outside of the games, and it almost seems like Tate is his Go-to guy...but at the same time SR is the bigger name receiver, he could just be covered more, which is why Tate is more open. *shrug* I'm no pro. But I like you wonder if SR and RW have some issues off the field.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1xlbnzvo said:

There's some truth to this. Wilson does a good job of spreading the ball around and finding his open receivers, but he's had his opportunity to make more plays to Rice. He's just more careful than other quarterbacks in when and who he throws to.

I'd like to see Russell risk a little more when throwing Sidney. Rice showed in 2009/2010 with Farve and even this year that he's capable of bailing out his QB and making some spectacular catches, so give your #1 receiver a chance to go make a play. Not forcing the ball to him, but maybe an extra 3 throws a game where Wilson says, "Here you go Sidney. Do your thing". I think the benefits of that outweigh the risks.

Edit; And this directed at you DavidSeven. Just adding to your point.

Latest posts