RW Tshirt ideas?

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
djb28":36azpb81 said:
I am a screen printer. I have been trying to make a non-corny Wilson/Seahawks shirt that I can sell for the entire season. Without being able to use the logo for profit, stinks.
But for my own personal use.. I can say I have things no one else will ever have!
Then I got to thinking. Why can artists sell things they draw with a team and their logo. Why can a Tattoo artist reproduce and sell NFL logos. ON BODIES. There is a line somewhere. I Will find it.

Maybe If I finish this shirt you can help me out!

Depends on what you mean by artists selling things.

In the case of copyright infringement you have to ask yourself two questions:

1.) is the infringement taking money away from the owner of the IP (intellecutal property) logo, symbol, etc etc. either via direct competition or defamation of the owner/property (damages)

2.) is the infringement making the artist money in such large amounts that the owner should be entitled to benefit from it. (profit)

In most cases if the damages or profit just aren't worth the owner's time they will let it go.

In your example, it's not really worth the NFL's time if they see someone with a seahawks tattoo to send someone to interrogate them, find out where they got it, etc. Also the NFL doesn't provide a tattoo service that I know of so there is no competition; in this case there is really no damage to the reputation or finances of the nfl and frankly it's just not worth thier time to care.

in the case of other artists it's pretty much the same idea, is it worth it to make a case out of it?

IP law is fairly black and white, you either own something or you don't, but the enforcement is really all about how much time/money is worth spending to squelch abusers.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Also here is a quick mock up of one idea, obviously the whole figure would be in the style of the jersey and i'd have to work on the lettering so it was clearer.

Wilsonshirt zps8fada785

blue 22

Reaction score
If I wasnt lazy I would make a Rusellmania t-shirt with this font in seahawk colors and have it say GO HAWKS! on the back. probably would be infringement though...

Hulkamania 80820

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
Had a similar idea to this but was running short on time so done this quick one instead, the other was sort of opposite expression on Wilson's face in a line up with big menacing people either side, with something like "who's dangerous?" above "that's him #3!" below, sort of like men in black shooting range scene where he shoots the quantum physics girl.

Attachments

• russ1.jpg
    russ1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 5,656

Riley12

Reaction score
I like the Wilson lineup idea. That you could get away with - no logos or anything.

I also think the "Straight Out of Compton" idea has merit, but of course you kids born after '89 don't know that
it should actually be "Straight Outta Compton". I'd lose the "via Stanford" part and make "25" more a part of the design
(or as much as possible before the NFL starts breathing down your neck).

PM me if any of these reach the printing stage. I need new Seahawks shirts and love anything that has no NFL logo.

Don't you love this unsolicited design advice from someone with no graphic design ability whatsoever?

CANHawk

Reaction score
Riley12":232dqjiu said:
I like the Wilson lineup idea. That you could get away with - no logos or anything.

I also think the "Straight Out of Compton" idea has merit, but of course you kids born after '89 don't know that
it should actually be "Straight Outta Compton". I'd lose the "via Stanford" part and make "25" more a part of the design
(or as much as possible before the NFL starts breathing down your neck).

PM me if any of these reach the printing stage. I need new Seahawks shirts and love anything that has no NFL logo.

Don't you love this unsolicited design advice from someone with no graphic design ability whatsoever?

NO WAY! That's the best part of that one!

djb28

Reaction score
Some cool ideas. The only problem with the actual photos is of course copyright issues. And to print a photo image is not cheap. Especially to screen print.
You could use Dye Sublimation. But it would have to be on white Poly. Or Direct To Garment printing.

Could do a vector toon of wilson in a few colors or even one color if the likeness is good.

I know there are a ton of thieves printing and selling on Cafe Press. They advertise no infringement but I have sent things through as a test and was able to buy them.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
A friend and I put these shirts together a couple years back after the Hawks beat the Saints in the playoffs. We thought we were going to make a killing selling them before the NFC Championship game, but of course, that never happened (damn Bears).

Note the non-descript stylings. Your safest with silhouettes. Boring yes, but it beats the imminent NFL Properties seize and desist letter that is FedEx'd to you within milliseconds.

Anybody want a shirt? I think we still have hundreds, LOL.

Attachments

• navy.jpg
    navy.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 5,632
  • shirtBlue2.jpg
    shirtBlue2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 5,632

SE174

Reaction score
Was listening to the Jim Rome RW interview where at the end Rome keeps saying that Russell has "it," which led me to this idea. Thoughts?

69755943965865987209.png

Dismas

Reaction score
I'm no artist, so all you get is type:

Prepa__ration

(separation in that preparation there )

Chrismv41985

Reaction score
Jacknutapparel.com has an awesome selction of of Hawks shirts. Sherm, RW, Beast, and they come in both tees and hoodies. Plus they also have some cool sonics related stuff for any NBA fans.

djb28

Reaction score
Here is my design. I just need to slim down the color options to two. Probably will go with the first one and then an all black print.

seadoc

Reaction score
I keep coming back to the essence of #3 is "separation is in the preparation"

I have no art skills whatsoever, but, off of your separation/preparation idea, could you take the letters of "preparation" and artfully make the "PR" also somehow read as an "S" so it reads both ways? idk.

also, Wrestlemania -> Russellmania