After watching the pro bowl, I want a receiver round one!

seahawks875

Reaction score
You guys see how good luck looked throwing to aj green, we need someone like that for Russell Wilson, i want to see more of Wilson throwing fades like he did to Vincent Jackson and guys getting open when he scrambles like Fitzgerald. I hope we draft a wide receiver round 1.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
getnasty":507xhbof said:
Yeah i hope the Hawks go WR with there first pick and address the Dline in FA, just seems like that would be the safe way to go. AJ Green is the 2nd best WR behind Calvin, just thought i'd throw that in as well

Eh, I think that is highly debatable. If Larry Fitz had someone that could throw the ball -- like Russell Wilson =) -- he could be competing with Calvin for the #1 spot!

skater18000

Reaction score
kobebryant":2uu2mkxz said:
skater18000":2uu2mkxz said:
kearly":2uu2mkxz said:
Cruz did have one really nice catch. Fitz was okay. It was kind of surreal seeing Wilson throwing a TD to Fitz (on 4th down no less). Kind of seemed to me that Wilson stole the spotlight but couldn't win the MVP with just 10 pass attempts.

I think I speak for most of the draft forum when I say passing on DeAndre Hopkins at #25 would be a travesty. He's very similar to Roddy White, and has intangibles through the roof.

If I had to take a receiver from another team right now and it couldn't be Calvin Johnson or Fitz, i'd want Roddy White... yes over Marshall, V.Jax, Cruz, Julio Jones, etc. For equipping RW with a top 5 talent at WR my 3rd choice would be Roddy White.

Not bad, I really like Roddy's game. I think I'd roll with AJ Green though.

Ooh that's tough. If you factor in age and salary, I'd have to go with A.J... good call

skater18000

Reaction score
1. C.J Jr
2. Fitz
3. A.J Green
4. Julio Jones
5. Roddy White
6. Marshall
7. Andre Johnson
8. Cruz
9. Stevie Johnson
10. Torrey Smith

And Welker is in there 2...

chihawk

Reaction score
If we draft a receiver don't expect him to be the savior of our passing game next season. More often than not, it takes top WR prospects a couple of years to get there...and some elite prospects never develop into elite WRs. There are obviously exceptions (like AJ Green), but I think it's more common for them to take some time.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1my6cfai said:
Hopkins isn't even going to make it to #25.

Exactly.

With how many teams that have said they want "playmakers" every year, there's no way he falls that far.

hawker84

Reaction score
terrance williams looks pretty good.. 4.49 forty, big frame good hands.. i like that pick. Hopkins looks good as well, providing he's available.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
kearly":pgkgudu3 said:
Cruz did have one really nice catch. Fitz was okay. It was kind of surreal seeing Wilson throwing a TD to Fitz (on 4th down no less). Kind of seemed to me that Wilson stole the spotlight but couldn't win the MVP with just 10 pass attempts.

I think I speak for most of the draft forum when I say passing on DeAndre Hopkins at #25 would be a travesty. He's very similar to Roddy White, and has intangibles through the roof.

Man these comparisons of Hopkins to Roddy has me wanting the Hawks to draft him even more, heck I would be more than happy if we decided to trade up to get him.

HUGGY

Reaction score
hawker84":3lc4tnq4 said:
terrance williams looks pretty good.. 4.49 forty, big frame good hands.. i like that pick. Hopkins looks good as well, providing he's available.

What are you smoking? 4.49 is slower than Wilson. Russells low time is 40 Low: 4.48

There are guys out there faster than 4.3

NYCoug

Reaction score
I keep wrestling with this in my head. On the one hand, I love Hopkins and would LOVE for him to be a Hawk. Same goes with Cordarrelle Patterson. I think both will be gone though by the time the Hawks are on the clock. I think I'd try and go DT or DE, maybe even linebacker if someone like Jarvis Jones falls because of his injury history. This draft is pretty deep with WR/TE so I'd probably gamble and try and find a gem later on like Cobi Hamilton, DaRick Rodgers, Gavin Escobar, BJ Stewart, or Vance McDonald in Rounds 4 and 5 if they're available.

This is going to be a FUN offseason. The "chinks in the armor" are visible, even for casual fans to see and there aren't too many of them. All of the problems we saw in 2012 are fixable for 2013. There are so many different directions the team can go and you absolutely know that they will do their due diligence, regardless. Can't wait to see who ends up winning the lotto and getting to wear a Hawks jersey next season. Time to enjoy the ride 12's!

lukerguy

Reaction score
Um...I don't even think Cordarrelle Patterson would start on our team. He's electric in the open field but he isn't a great RR and he doesn't have special hands. This WR class is deep but it isn't elite- there isn't a for sure bet all pro and consequently I don't think a WR will go in the top 10. JS said there is a strong diversity of different types of WRs.

The ONLY two WRs I can see us targeting in the first round would be Hunter because of his size/speed combo, or Hopkins because of the obvious. Outside of that, I would be very disappointed.

Here's why:
1) Keenan Allen
2) DeAndre Hopkins
3) Justin Hunter
4) Terrance Williams
5) Tavon Austin
6) Markus Wheaton
7) Robert Woods
8)Quinton Patton
9) Cordarelle Patterson
10) Steadman Bailey
11) Cobi Hamilton
12) D'Rick Rodgers
13) Aaron Dobson
14) Ryan Swope
15)Marquess Wilson

I made these rankings a while ago, so they may not be up to date, but even the #12 WR is a baller. This is incredibly deep. Sometimes you have to look at the difference between say a 1st round DT and a 3rd round DT/LB vs a 1st round WR vs a 3rd round WR.

I'd be pretty happy with Quinton Patton in the 3rd round if it means we were to get a starting/elite DT.

McGruff

Reaction score
What is the obvious with Hopkins? That he's average at everything? He's never going to be an elite receiver.

Patterson is risky, but he's got the biggest bang. The next would be da'Rick Rogers. Those are the two guys that I would consider having probowl packages.

lukerguy

Reaction score
McGruff":3iiusp6r said:
What is the obvious with Hopkins? That he's average at everything? He's never going to be an elite receiver.

Patterson is risky, but he's got the biggest bang. The next would be da'Rick Rogers. Those are the two guys that I would consider having probowl packages.

Average at everything? Boy, you have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about. You must have gone to the Al Davis school of scouting..um... He's by far the best route runner in the class, and probably for the last 3 classes. He has above average hands, and awareness as well. He may not stick out at you with 4.3 speed or a 6'3 frame, but the kid is special. Roddy White is the name that keeps coming up when you watch him.

[youtube]bVWm9pNiXYY[/youtube]

#2 in the nation in yrds per catch for players over 1000 yards (and he still caught 82 balls)
#2 in the nation in TDs

Patterson may have the biggest bang if you mean open field juking (I would argue Austin for that award.. nevertheless), but what does it matter if the guy isn't a professional WR? Sure, take him for special teams, but not to be a #1 WR. He doesn't have strong hands to go up and make a play and that's what we need. If you're going to take a player in the first round, you want him to be able to start...I'm telling you Patterson would not start over Rice nor Tate and that's a fact.

McGruff

Reaction score
You see Roddy White,. I still see Rashaun Woods.

In the late first you very rarely get a starter, especially at WR, but you do want to get a guy with enough upside to one day be a probowl er.

I don't see that potential in Hopkins. I see it in Patterson.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
The two WR I want more than any other in this draft are Hopkins and Wheaton, neither are "big" athletic type of receivers but they are good route runners and can create separation which we don't have enough of right now plus hands away from themselves pass catchers.

I think we could grab one of those two then add a big possession WR later 4-5 round area as well, not sure the drop off from Patterson to the rest of the big WR is that great but the polish after Wheaton and Hopkins is pretty wide IMO.

You can draft a WR and have instant impact, besides AJ Green and Julio Jones people are forgetting Percy Harvin who was an instrumental peice getting Minnesota to the NFC championship game.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
McGruff":2mty0947 said:
You see Roddy White,. I still see Rashaun Woods.

In the late first you very rarely get a starter, especially at WR, but you do want to get a guy with enough upside to one day be a probowl er.

I don't see that potential in Hopkins. I see it in Patterson.

I agree with you in that I don't think Hopkins is elite, I wouldn't go Rashaun Woods though. I don't think Hopkins will be worth the pick he is taken at. I would prefer a Patterson, Rodgers, or Hunter.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lukerguy":2fhov90u said:
I'm telling you Patterson would not start over Rice nor Tate and that's a fact.
How is that a fact? If it was a fact you wouldn't have to tell someone, couldn't you point to evidence? Its far from a fact.

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1h0wfhry said:
lukerguy":1h0wfhry said:
I'm telling you Patterson would not start over Rice nor Tate and that's a fact.
How is that a fact? If it was a fact you wouldn't have to tell someone, couldn't you point to evidence? Its far from a fact.

Yeah thats horse crap. I think the ideal situation is to draft someone to replace tate on the outside and move Golden to the inside. I like him better inside where he can make more moves and use his unique skillset more

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
kobebryant":26xwqe7m said:
Not bad, I really like Roddy's game. I think I'd roll with AJ Green though.

Personally, I think AJ Green will become the best WR in the NFL in a year or two (not ever, but currently playing). Every time I watch him play he blows me away, if he had an elite QB...my lawd!

Latest posts