Do you think RW gets tired of being called short?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

Does Russell get tired of constantly being called short?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 94

• he has been getting the spot light a lot lately and every single time they gotta mention his height.
    Last edited by Axx on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• If he's not, I am. It's getting ridiculous.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• You should make a poll to see if .Netters are tired of talking about Wilson's height :P
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• When he was on with Mike and Mike yesterday, it kind of sounded like he was a little annoyed. He was talking about looking up to Drew Brees and of course, Greenie says "well you're probably the only one that can look up to him. Har Har Har. I just had to". Or something stupid like that.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• If he's not a robot then hell yes! But if he's a robot then it's probably not in his programming to become tired.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• -The Glove- wrote:When he was on with Mike and Mike yesterday, it kind of sounded like he was a little annoyed. He was talking about looking up to Drew Brees and of course, Greenie says "well you're probably the only one that can look up to him. Har Har Har. I just had to". Or something stupid like that.

Yeah that was just a cheap shot.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Putting myself in Russell's shoes, I'd be tired of hearing about it in every interview. You'd think that since he has given the same answer every time, interviewers would not continue to keep asking.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• They could make an advertisement out of it.

"Could Geico save you 15% or more on car insurance?"

"Does Russel Wilson get asked about his height frequently?"

*RW interview clip reel*
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• It feeds the fire. I'm good with it.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I think he probably doesn't like being called short/incapable, but that he also uses those words to feed his desire to perform, and thus maybe kind of likes being called those things.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• I voted no..Wilson is expecting to be asked, and he could just hit a recorded play back for his answer.

I think he'll uses it to pump up his resolve to prove them foolish for asking the question in the next few years.
    The kid is too smart to let something like that affect his mindset, and define his game, , There's a riot going on behind those cold calculating eyes.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I think the last time he was accused of being too short was in the draft. Any pundits who have watched him during the regular season and playoffs have since changed thier tune.

The questions now are not accusitory of his height, but more, how do you do it being the shortest starting QB in the league. And of course as we all know, 5' 10 5/8 does not matter. He's got the "it" factor. Ala Tiger Woods-pre marital swan dive. He knows how to go in for the killing and will not be denied.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• He looked annoyed before the draft with Gruden's questions about it on the qb camp. I think RW Is sick of it, but does relish the fact that he is challenging the convention and not only winning but destroying the logic.
    This coming from someone who was not a fan of drafting qbs under 6'2. I will have to look up one of my posts about that before I even knew RW's name.
    "When is the NFL going to start fining receivers for running routes across KAM’S MIDDLE?!?!"
    -bpup33
    Sprfunk
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:You should make a poll to see if .Netters are tired of talking about Wilson's height :P

My thoughts exactly. We need to stop talking about it.

:roll:
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• The Radish wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:You should make a poll to see if .Netters are tired of talking about Wilson's height :P

My thoughts exactly. We need to stop talking about it.

:roll:

So, Les. What'cha got? You know, to BS about? How's the wifey?
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Axx wrote:he has been getting the spot light a lot lately and every single time they gotta mention his height every single time.

Another question from the dept of redundancy dept ;)
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I had to vote NO because he is using this bs to expand his exposure, which will help marketing, since being short is still legal.
    AVL
    NET Starter

• I'm wornout, hearing about that stuff also.

That's just since he got picked.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Regardless of how he feels about it, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that his height doesn't define his skillset.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• grizbob wrote:
    Axx wrote:he has been getting the spot light a lot lately and every single time they gotta mention his height every single time.

You already said 'dept'. Saying it again at the end is redundant.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    grizbob wrote:
    Axx wrote:he has been getting the spot light a lot lately and every single time they gotta mention his height every single time.

You already said 'dept'. Saying it again at the end is redundant.

:baityes: I did not not know that :mrgreen:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• lol Peaches does have a good eye. I just read that as fast as Griz wrote it.

Trust me, EVERYONE has a name (or a sentence) that they have heard that was a put down their whole life.

And when any of us hear those words, we are pretty much ready to kill. I would think RW is ready to move on to the next subject.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

• Robots don't get tired.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:If he's not a robot then hell yes! But if he's a robot then it's probably not in his programming to become tired.

He was not programmed with the ability to be anything less than the best either. I am a big fan of his programming.

Headset communications to a typical NFL QB: "Ace Right z-Dig x-Shallow"

Headset communications to Russell Wilson: "Run Program: Touchdown"
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• I can see it in his facial expression when people bring up his height in interviews.

Just watch the video below, skip to 6:37 when Gruden brings up height of QB's in the NFL (getting taller and taller), watch Russ go from a smile to a seemingly annoyed looked in two seconds.

Its a little funny to watch, but I feel kind of bad. I know Gruden is good friends with RW and he was just trying to get under Russ' skin in this interview. To make him hungry. But I still hate seeing people bring up his height when it hasn't been an issue and will never be an issue for RW while playing in the NFL.

5'11" is not short, unless you're talking NFL quarterbacking or the NBA. So even though Wilson is actually an inch above the average height of an American male, he still has to hear it over and over throughout his career. Tough break..
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• Like it or not, the national media has remained latched-onto the height thing, and with the success of this past season, Russ is now a poster-child for overcoming perceived obstacles.
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• I think for Russ it's just so much white noise. He doesn't seem to be the type to let morons drag him down. He knows where he's going.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• PlinytheCenter wrote:I think for Russ it's just so much white noise. He doesn't seem to be the type to let morons drag him down. He knows where he's going.

I think you're right. He's not the type of guy to let negative, complete ass-kissing or just annoying critics drag him down. But I can tell it bothers him somewhat. Not necessarily the fact that he's the shortest QB in the league right now, but how the media chooses to focus on how he overcomes his height disadvantage rather than his rookie year success.

Seems to me that Russell Wilson simply wants to be looked at as 'The Seattle Seahawks Starting Quarterback'. Instead of
    "That 5'11" quarterback who was drafted in the third round and ended up being as good as the 6'3" tall RG3 and even better than the 6'3" to 6'5" quarterbacks drafted before him."

One thing I remember reading on the ESPN comment threads shortly after the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson, was a lot of people saying Russ would be just like Seneca Wallace. Since they're both the exact same height/weight, they're extremely mobile, drafted by the Seahawks in the mid-rounds (Wilson 3rd round, Wallace 4th round), who lit up defenses with their arm and feet in college and obviously faced the same type of criticism coming into the NFL.

On paper the Wilson/Wallace comparison was reasonable, but on the field they are completely different quarterbacks. Wallace was a one read and run type of QB, while Wilson is a read until you find a man open (even if you have to buy a crap load of time with your feet) and run as a last resort. A lot of Wilson's large rushing gains were designed QB Runs. From watching Seneca's playing days with the Hawks, I got the impression he was usually scrambling to find an open running lane as opposed to an open receiver like Russ did all season long.. Also, Seneca didn't even have half the arm strength that Russell Wilson exhibits with those strikes he throws up the middle. They're like bullets being fired out of a gun.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• Depends. Is Russell Wilson short on patience?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I'm sure he is tired of it. I know I'm beyond tired of the mediots bringing it up.

Come up with something else, morons. It's not an issue, and it's been beaten to death. Try focusing on his performance on the field, his poise, his work in the community, etc.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:I'm sure he is tired of it. I know I'm beyond tired of the mediots bringing it up.

Come up with something else, morons. It's not an issue, and it's been beaten to death. Try focusing on his performance on the field, his poise, his work in the community, etc.

I'm sure the short angle will die down if he continues next year where he left off this year in his development and performance.

Think about it... how many people talked about Drew Brees' height when he was throwing for 5k+ yards? Brees' height was a dead issue until Wilson came into the league and he was used for comparison.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Umm, who cares? He's short, he breaks the QB mold, he'll have to get used to it.

Question, do you think people get tired of every other thread on this forum being about Russel Wilson? This forum has a post about almost everything about Russell Wilson, even the pedantic. I am surprised degenerated to somebody posting "Do you think Russell Wilson wears boxers, or briefs, or boxer briefs?" We all ready have a post about him looking like the guy who played Fez. The hero worship is getting well beyond ridiculous levels. I like Russell Wilson as much as the next guy but I can barely read this forum anymore.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• RW short? I wish I was 5'11"". On a good day I am 5'5". Most of the time I don't even think I'm short, except when I am in a crowd. But even then it is my reality and what I am used to. Of course I don't do a lot of interviews(or any) where people constantly bring it up. My guess is that eventually it will cease to be an issue, much like black QB's used to be an issue. Doug Williams was asked at the Super Bowl if he had always been a black QB. Nobody even gives race a passing thought anymore in regards to QB. Heightism will go away from the QB position much like racism did. And RW will be the one to thank for that.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:he has been getting the spot light a lot lately and every single time they gotta mention his height.

I am 6'8" and it gets pretty annoying being called tall... Kind of obvious... "Do you play basketball??" Obviously...
    RussWILSON3
    NET Practice Squad

• razor150 wrote:Umm, who cares? He's short, he breaks the QB mold, he'll have to get used to it.

Question, do you think people get tired of every other thread on this forum being about Russel Wilson? This forum has a post about almost everything about Russell Wilson, even the pedantic. I am surprised degenerated to somebody posting "Do you think Russell Wilson wears boxers, or briefs, or boxer briefs?" We all ready have a post about him looking like the guy who played Fez. The hero worship is getting well beyond ridiculous levels. I like Russell Wilson as much as the next guy but I can barely read this forum anymore.

It's the offseason...and Wilson's on everyone's radar in New Orleans. What do you expect?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure it gets annoying to him because the media clowns just can't seem to get off of it. But, I'm just as sure it is a constant motivation for him which is good. Players with chips on their shoulders often do real well.
    BBHawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• razor150 wrote:"Do you think Russell Wilson wears boxers, or briefs, or boxer briefs?"

I think he's a briefs man. What do you guys think?
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:
    razor150 wrote:"Do you think Russell Wilson wears boxers, or briefs, or boxer briefs?"

Boxer briefs would be my guess
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• I'm short, and yes it's incredibly annoying. I don't even think about it as something that defines me at all, but a lot of others seem to fixate on it.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:
    razor150 wrote:"Do you think Russell Wilson wears boxers, or briefs, or boxer briefs?"

Commando...no question.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• I voted yes.
    It keeps him in motivation mode.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• I say no. He's been this way along time and is probably use to it by now.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

• Just once I would like to see one of these interviewers do his homework.

Talk about arm length.
    Talk about hand size.
    Talk about straight overhead delivery vs sidearm
    which makes those 6'3" guys 5' 10.5/8.

Talk about film study.
    Talk about leadership.
    and talk about otherworldly calm in any situation.

Instead they take the easy sophmoric way out.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

• razor150 wrote:Umm, who cares? He's short, he breaks the QB mold, he'll have to get used to it.

Fair enough. But this is a Seahawks fan forum and we have never really had a quarterback with such an upside like Russell Wilson. Who was the last Rookie of the Year, quarterback, we've had? One who tied Manning's rookie TD pass record and had many incredible performances during the regular season and playoffs. From stomping teams into the ground with three rushing TDs, to coming from behind in a playoff game on enemy territory. Which he did with over 100,000 Redskins fans screaming at him, in one of the toughest stadiums in all of sports [for North America] to play in. So.. I think the countless Russell Wilson threads are justified. He is still relatively new to the team, give it time and the forum will come down a bit on the RW love.

Anyway, you see how many threads are popping up with Wilson's name as the subject. Seahawks fans want to learn more about their new franchise QB. Not hear the same questions about his height. Yes, we all get it, he's just under 5'11" and the NFL is stacked with quarterbacks that are 6'2" to 6'5". He's at a disadvantage.. Now can we hear questions that we haven't heard thousands of times please!?! Anything! I'll even be interested in crap he likes to do for fun and questions that have nothing to do with football. Anything but questions about his height.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

• Honestly, it would be annoying as shit if you prove everybody completely wrong and still have it brought up. So, yeah, I'm sure he is tired of it. Now, if someone came and said, "Hey, so, you're short, but you're amazing and proved everybody wrong. How's it feel to throw that in their faces?" That's not such a bad question or way to bring up his height.

Everyone always asks the same question: "So, Russell, you're short as shit and have been forever. How does it feel to overcome that adversity and do you think it gives you a disadvantage that forces you to work harder?"

It's such a stupid topic after this season, and I wish (it won't) it would get dropped once and for all.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• I voted no, only because I think he uses it as fuel for his fire. It puts a chip on his shoulder. He's going to go out and prove everyone wrong and show them "hey, I can be the best despite what you think of my height." And so far he's done it, and I imagine he will continue to. Honestly, I don't think the short comments will ever completely go away. I think when he's inducted in to the hall of fame people will still be saying "The only QB under 6' to be inducted to the hall of fame!" etc etc.
    Tezz
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information