Do you think RW gets tired of being called short?

Does Russell get tired of constantly being called short?

• Yes

Votes: 67 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 28.0%

• Total voters

Spokane

Reaction score
lol Peaches does have a good eye. I just read that as fast as Griz wrote it.

Trust me, EVERYONE has a name (or a sentence) that they have heard that was a put down their whole life.

And when any of us hear those words, we are pretty much ready to kill. I would think RW is ready to move on to the next subject.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1x11bg90 said:
If he's not a robot then hell yes! But if he's a robot then it's probably not in his programming to become tired.

He was not programmed with the ability to be anything less than the best either. I am a big fan of his programming.

Headset communications to a typical NFL QB: "Ace Right z-Dig x-Shallow"

Headset communications to Russell Wilson: "Run Program: Touchdown"

Zowert

Reaction score
I can see it in his facial expression when people bring up his height in interviews.

Just watch the video below, skip to 6:37 when Gruden brings up height of QB's in the NFL (getting taller and taller), watch Russ go from a smile to a seemingly annoyed looked in two seconds.

[youtube]0IbYoeSf6Gk[/youtube]

Its a little funny to watch, but I feel kind of bad. I know Gruden is good friends with RW and he was just trying to get under Russ' skin in this interview. To make him hungry. But I still hate seeing people bring up his height when it hasn't been an issue and will never be an issue for RW while playing in the NFL.

5'11" is not short, unless you're talking NFL quarterbacking or the NBA. So even though Wilson is actually an inch above the average height of an American male, he still has to hear it over and over throughout his career. Tough break..

A

Anonymous

Like it or not, the national media has remained latched-onto the height thing, and with the success of this past season, Russ is now a poster-child for overcoming perceived obstacles.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I think for Russ it's just so much white noise. He doesn't seem to be the type to let morons drag him down. He knows where he's going.

Zowert

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1erjqkm9 said:
I think for Russ it's just so much white noise. He doesn't seem to be the type to let morons drag him down. He knows where he's going.

I think you're right. He's not the type of guy to let negative, complete ass-kissing or just annoying critics drag him down. But I can tell it bothers him somewhat. Not necessarily the fact that he's the shortest QB in the league right now, but how the media chooses to focus on how he overcomes his height disadvantage rather than his rookie year success.

Seems to me that Russell Wilson simply wants to be looked at as 'The Seattle Seahawks Starting Quarterback'. Instead of
"That 5'11" quarterback who was drafted in the third round and ended up being as good as the 6'3" tall RG3 and even better than the 6'3" to 6'5" quarterbacks drafted before him."

One thing I remember reading on the ESPN comment threads shortly after the Seahawks drafted Russell Wilson, was a lot of people saying Russ would be just like Seneca Wallace. Since they're both the exact same height/weight, they're extremely mobile, drafted by the Seahawks in the mid-rounds (Wilson 3rd round, Wallace 4th round), who lit up defenses with their arm and feet in college and obviously faced the same type of criticism coming into the NFL.

On paper the Wilson/Wallace comparison was reasonable, but on the field they are completely different quarterbacks. Wallace was a one read and run type of QB, while Wilson is a read until you find a man open (even if you have to buy a crap load of time with your feet) and run as a last resort. A lot of Wilson's large rushing gains were designed QB Runs. From watching Seneca's playing days with the Hawks, I got the impression he was usually scrambling to find an open running lane as opposed to an open receiver like Russ did all season long.. Also, Seneca didn't even have half the arm strength that Russell Wilson exhibits with those strikes he throws up the middle. They're like bullets being fired out of a gun.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'm sure he is tired of it. I know I'm beyond tired of the mediots bringing it up.

Come up with something else, morons. It's not an issue, and it's been beaten to death. Try focusing on his performance on the field, his poise, his work in the community, etc.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":u8wfmkrx said:
I'm sure he is tired of it. I know I'm beyond tired of the mediots bringing it up.

Come up with something else, morons. It's not an issue, and it's been beaten to death. Try focusing on his performance on the field, his poise, his work in the community, etc.

I'm sure the short angle will die down if he continues next year where he left off this year in his development and performance.

Think about it... how many people talked about Drew Brees' height when he was throwing for 5k+ yards? Brees' height was a dead issue until Wilson came into the league and he was used for comparison.

razor150

Reaction score
Umm, who cares? He's short, he breaks the QB mold, he'll have to get used to it.

Question, do you think people get tired of every other thread on this forum being about Russel Wilson? This forum has a post about almost everything about Russell Wilson, even the pedantic. I am surprised degenerated to somebody posting "Do you think Russell Wilson wears boxers, or briefs, or boxer briefs?" We all ready have a post about him looking like the guy who played Fez. The hero worship is getting well beyond ridiculous levels. I like Russell Wilson as much as the next guy but I can barely read this forum anymore.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
RW short? I wish I was 5'11"". On a good day I am 5'5". Most of the time I don't even think I'm short, except when I am in a crowd. But even then it is my reality and what I am used to. Of course I don't do a lot of interviews(or any) where people constantly bring it up. My guess is that eventually it will cease to be an issue, much like black QB's used to be an issue. Doug Williams was asked at the Super Bowl if he had always been a black QB. Nobody even gives race a passing thought anymore in regards to QB. Heightism will go away from the QB position much like racism did. And RW will be the one to thank for that.

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
Axx":3dwjrs2t said:
he has been getting the spot light a lot lately and every single time they gotta mention his height.

I am 6'8" and it gets pretty annoying being called tall... Kind of obvious... "Do you play basketball??" Obviously...

-The Glove-

Reaction score
razor150":14eylj08 said:
Umm, who cares? He's short, he breaks the QB mold, he'll have to get used to it.

Question, do you think people get tired of every other thread on this forum being about Russel Wilson? This forum has a post about almost everything about Russell Wilson, even the pedantic. I am surprised degenerated to somebody posting "Do you think Russell Wilson wears boxers, or briefs, or boxer briefs?" We all ready have a post about him looking like the guy who played Fez. The hero worship is getting well beyond ridiculous levels. I like Russell Wilson as much as the next guy but I can barely read this forum anymore.
It's the offseason...and Wilson's on everyone's radar in New Orleans. What do you expect?

BBHawks

Reaction score
I'm sure it gets annoying to him because the media clowns just can't seem to get off of it. But, I'm just as sure it is a constant motivation for him which is good. Players with chips on their shoulders often do real well.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
I'm short, and yes it's incredibly annoying. I don't even think about it as something that defines me at all, but a lot of others seem to fixate on it.

Latest posts