Todd Wash hired by Jaguars

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Todd Wash hired by Jaguars
Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 am
  • Ryan O'Halloran ‏@ryanohalloran
    Seattle DL coach Todd Wash hired to same position with #Jaguars. Allowed by Pete Carroll to make lateral move.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Re: Todd Wash hired by Jaguars
Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 am
  • I honestly think he wasn't that good of a dline coach
    A World Peace
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:29 am
  • Who do you think will replace him?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am
  • maybe we can hire someone that will teach Irvin some moves
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 am
  • With the hiring of our previous line coach as the new coordinator, I think we'll be fine bringing in or elevating someone from within to the position who is young, smart and eager to learn and get after it. Bradley will need all the help he can get in Jacksonville

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 am
  • I suspect our new Coordinator wanted to bring in his own guy. Not that unusual
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 am
  • Bryant Young
    blkhwk
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 am
  • The Outfield wrote:Who do you think will replace him?

The thinking when Quinn was hired as DC that I heard was him bringing in Bryant Young, who was the DL coach with him at Florida. The call for Wash to Jaguars was the first part of the general consensus so they have that right so far.

Question is whether Young would want to leave Florida and coach with a former rival but at this point it is all about the coaching opportunity.

EDIT: Just saw this as another name to consider

Scott Enyeart ‏@ScottEnyeart

With Wash gone, I'd expect Jethro Franklin to he the first call Carroll makes. Bryant Young could be in the mix too. #Seahawks

EDIT2: Guess Bryant Young is the HOF-worthy one.
    Last edited by drdiags on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:01 am
  • Lateral move? I would say that he is making a lesser move. Either way good luck Todd. I still hate all this coach turnover we seem to have every offseason.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Lateral move? I would say that he is making a lesser move. Either way good luck Todd. I still hate all this coach turnover we seem to have every offseason.

Same here... especially when we do well. I wish we could just hold onto the entire staff for multiple seasons.

I still have a horrible taste in my mouth from Bradley interviewing a day before the Atlanta game. I wish hiring wasn't allowed until after the super bowl.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:04 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Lateral move? I would say that he is making a lesser move. Either way good luck Todd. I still hate all this coach turnover we seem to have every offseason.

Probably more scope for internal promotion in Jacksonville though
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 am
  • Wash is Bradley's buddy. He spent quite a few years with Tampa. He gets to go back to the part of the country he has recently spent the most time, though Jacksonville and Tampa aren't right next door. He probably feels he has more allies going with Bradley than remaining here in Seattle?

Who knows? I wouldn't be so quick to say it is a lesser move though I am sure team pride has something to do with that thought.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 am
  • Not much of a loss, IMO. Wash had more talent on the D-line to work with this year and didn't do much to improve the D-line play.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 am

He will probably have more pull and say into designing and running the defense in Jax, hope it goes well for him. Hope we find a guy to really push the DL to a new level more, though.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:17 am
  • blkhwk wrote:Bryant Young

:pray:
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:21 am
  • drdiags wrote:Question is whether Young would want to leave Florida and coach with a former rival but at this point it is all about the coaching opportunity.

Why not? He'd fall right in with the other former 49'er HOF'er we have coaching LB's.

What's Ronnie Lott doing these days..? lol.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm
  • This doesn't seem like that big of a negative to me. Considering how the Dline performed last season, I assume the expectations were a bit higher than the end result.

Don't know if either Defensive coaches leaving for Jacksonville is a smart career move, at least right now...being so close to making a run for a trophy and all, just my two cents on that. But, you can't blame a guy for reaching the pinnacle of the football coaching world. It'll be an experience regardless of what happens, best of luck to both of them!

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:33 pm
  • You guys do realize this was to be expected right? We just got quinn back who was our former d line coach now at d cord.. If you dont think hes going to be spending a lot of time with the d line n its gona be coached his way.. Well you prolly think flynn is worth a first rounder...
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 pm
  • SouthSoundHawk wrote:This doesn't seem like that big of a negative to me. Considering how the Dline performed last season, I assume the expectations were a bit higher than the end result.

Don't know if either Defensive coaches leaving for Jacksonville is a smart career move, at least right now...being so close to making a run for a trophy and all, just my two cents on that. But, you can't blame a guy for reaching the pinnacle of the football coaching world. It'll be an experience regardless of what happens, best of luck to both of them!

Yeah, D-line wasn't anything to hang our hat on last year. It wasn't so bad that Wash deserved to be fired, but if he wants to leave, he didn't do such a good job that we'd be expected to beg him to stay.

I'm looking forward to a big improvement on the D-line with Mr. Quinn coming back. He did great creative things in 2010 and we got a little vanillia looking after he left.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 pm
  • Spags is out there now...pretty good track record at D-line.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Spags is out there now...pretty good track record at D-line.

Coach Spaghetti-O's!? It'd be worth it just so I can reference Coach Spaghetti-O's again!

But a quick look at the wikipedia (which is 100% accurate and never ever wrong) says all of coach Sgaghetti-O's positional coaching history comes as a DB coach (which makes sense, he's a tiny man). Why does he have a good track record with the D-line? NYG's d-line success sounds more like a product of Mike Waffle's philosophy (which he's also had success with in OAK and STL) than Coach Spaghetti-O's.

Coach Spaghetti-O's!
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:07 pm
  • I also believe Wash and Bradley played together in college... they're pretty tight.

I'd love Young coming to Seattle...should P.O. some of the 9ers fans...
    RockinHawks
    NET Starter

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm
  • redhawk253 wrote:You guys do realize this was to be expected right? We just got quinn back who was our former d line coach now at d cord.. If you dont think hes going to be spending a lot of time with the d line n its gona be coached his way.. Well you prolly think flynn is worth a first rounder...

If Mike Glennon is worth a first rounder, then so is Matt Flynn.

Edit: The NY Giants org is responsible for good d line play, it's part of their philosophy to spend their capital on the DLine.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:49 pm
  • Spags? No thanks. New Orleans allowed almost 500 points on defense last year.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 pm

True, but you don't hone the knife, it isn't going to get any sharper.
    If it is a lateral move?, new blood just might be what's needed at the V-Mac.
    I hope we'll see an improvement.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Somehow....the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. :3:
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:20 am
  • Any guys out there with a mixed martial arts background. Teach Irvin some mad skills?
    Idle vaporings of a mind diseased
    VaporHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 am
  • PlinytheCenter wrote:Spags? No thanks. New Orleans allowed almost 500 points on defense last year.

That is shallow analysis. IIRC, Spags wasn't on the field for any of those 500 points. Matt Hasselbeck and Alex Smith both killed that defense in the playoffs, it has been suspect for a lot longer than last year.

What about when he was DC in New York and shut down Tom Brady in the SB? What about the D-line he built in St.Louis?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    PlinytheCenter wrote:Spags? No thanks. New Orleans allowed almost 500 points on defense last year.

That is shallow analysis. IIRC, Spags wasn't on the field for any of those 500 points. Matt Hasselbeck and Alex Smith both killed that defense in the playoffs, it has been suspect for a lot longer than last year.

What about when he was DC in New York and shut down Tom Brady in the SB? What about the D-line he built in St.Louis?

What are these defensive lines he built in St. Loius? The ones that were near the bottom of the league in rushing yards against with middle of the road sack numbers? Renowned D-line coach Mike Waufle built the D-line in NY (like he built the D-line that went to the Super Bowl in Oakland before that) so I don't think Coach Spaghetti-O's can take any more credit for NYG's D-line performance than Darrell Bevel can take credit for Seattle's two O-line pro bowlers.

I reeeeealy don't think that Coach Spaghetti-O's is in any way qualified to be a D-line coach... but I thank you for giving me reason to say Coach Spaghetti-O's again.

Coach Spaghetti-O's!! :)
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 pm
  • Steve Spagnuolo's position coaching background was with DB's (primarily) and LB's, not the D-line.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:11 pm
  • Wash going with Bradley is going to totally mess up the broadcast crews during the games. They're gonna wonder why the D-line coach is wearing the headset and the head coach is coaching up the D-line.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 am
  • I fully expected Wash to head to Jacksonville with Bradley being there and Dan Quinn coming in. Dan Quinn is a D-Line coach. I'd love to see what Dan Quinn and Bryant Young could do with the defensive line.
    firebee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:16 am
  • VaporHawk wrote:Any guys out there with a mixed martial arts background. Teach Irvin some mad skills?

AGREED!!! Irvin's biggest problem is his use of hands and leveraging his body to stay off blocks. Some MMA would do Irvin a lot of good. Learning how to counter punches, grabs and takedowns can be applied to getting off blocks in football. Learning how to takedown and wrap up on someone can be applied to tackling. MMA isn't going to help him improve on his awareness of where the ball is or his understanding of the game, but it will improve his ability to get off blocks and improve his tackling.
    firebee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:30 am
  • MMA and Wrestling would do most linemen good.

Wrestling in particular would be great just to learn how to keep a solid base, stay balanced and to help enforce your will on an opponent.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information