SI's Tony Pauline: Courtney Gardner a "super sleeper"

kearly

Reaction score
For those that don't know Tony Pauline is one of the best sources of draft information out there. He has a lot of contacts with NFL scouts and execs and is even privvy to their big boards from time to time. Anyway, this was how Pauline led off his most recent blog update:

The name making the rounds in the scouting community as one of the biggest sleepers at the receiver position is Courtney Gardner of Sierra College. The 6-foot, 3-inch/220lb pass catcher was expected to play for Oklahoma in 2013 but opted for the NFL draft after academic “difficulties”. We hear scouts have been raving about the physical skills Gardner brings to the field. Besides his large frame the big pass catcher also has the speed (10.7 sec in the 100 meters) to match. Even college coaches in the area are awed by his ability on the field but focusing at the task at hand seems to be an issue.

I guess it's kind of hard to be a sleeper when all the scouts are raving about him.

[youtube]bqcvMAaw4Hs[/youtube]

(not sure what's up with the audio, lol)

Look at how elusive he is, juking players out of their shoes left and right. Then realize that he's doing that in a 6'3" 220 body. He has a real chance to run a sub 4.4 forty. This guy clearly has all-pro upside, but has had academic problems and has never played in division I. Should be very interesting to see where his draft stock ends up.

He's also a really really really ****ing good blocker. I'd expect this guy could end up very high on Seattle's draft board.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The next screen he follows correctly will be the first one. But it is like watching a man play football with kids. And you don't have to be that smart to play Receiver at a high level.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":18gxim7w said:
The next screen he follows correctly will be the first one. But it is like watching a man play football with kids. And you don't have to be that smart to play Receiver at a high level.

If Chad Johnson can make it in the NFL... :p

Is there a link for he video? I'm on the road and my iPad won't show it.

ivotuk

Reaction score

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Thanks Kearly. I'm really excited to see Russell Wilson gets some new weapons this year!