Is there any Earl Backups in the draft??

jlwaters1

Reaction score
To all the drafniks-- Is there a few safety options that would be a good backup for ET, with similar athleticism?

I beleive Mayock said during the Senior Bowl game that this was a deep safety class. Is there someone with a similar skillset (like Legree) that can be had in the 3-6 rounds??

I think getting a decent backup to ET is important.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Josh Evans Florida. I am a gator homer, but I've always thought this with him. That he could be a really good back up for Earl. Your not getting the speed of ET, but Earl is rare. Evans played in a similar system. Would sometime rotate with Matt Elam to play in the box as well as play back in cover 2 or single high safety. Quinn would send him on blitzes as well. I honestly think he is fit, and from what I've heard he will be a later round pick as well.

P.S. would find some video, but I don't know how to load youtube videos.

KentuckyHawk

Reaction score
I agree, I think it's a definite need in the mid-to-late rounds. Maybe as high as the 3rd if someone drops. My pick...

D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina - 5'11 210 lbs

Pretty Underrated, in my opinion. Good range, but can really bring it against the run too.

01/01/2013 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: FS D.J. Swearinger has not only proven to be the heart and soul of the South Carolina defense, but is the squad's most versatile performer. He played a key part in the Gamecocks' pass defense against two of the most proficient passing attacks in the country Clemson and Arkansas. He played some cornerback in both games. He played press man against both team's top receivers for part of each game, including Tigers standout Sammy Watkins. When he moved back to free safety, his task was to guard against deep passes. That will probably be his main job against Michigan. - The Sports Xchange

-The Glove-

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1nnhkfzo said:
To all the drafniks-- Is there a few safety options that would be a good backup for ET, with similar athleticism?

I beleive Mayock said during the Senior Bowl game that this was a deep safety class. Is there someone with a similar skillset (like Legree) that can be had in the 3-6 rounds??

I think getting a decent backup to ET is important.
Whatever happened to Legree? Loved his highlights. Played bigger than he was. Looks like he just never caught on anywhere. He posted earlier about school supplies, so good for him, he's focusing on his studies.

kearly

Reaction score
Waiting for the combine before I look at stuff like that. Whoever Seattle drafts to backup that role, he'd need to be a phenom athlete. Seeing the combine results could help weed out the list some.

getnasty

Reaction score
I really like Bacarri Rambo out of Georgia but not sure if he's athletic enough. Haven't seen him mocked any higher then the 3rd round

NYCoug

Reaction score
I think this whole Earl to CB in the nickel thing is pretty interesting but I doubt it actually happens. It'd be nice to find a player with a similar skillset to Earl, later in the draft, probably a rawer prospect but someone with the ability to play centerfield back there. I think Cooper Taylor would make an interesting addition to the secondary as Earl's backup. The same way the FO wants to find a player similar to Russell to be his backup, they might want to take the same approach with Earl. As it stands, the Seahawks would take a little bit of a hit if Earl went down. You're down an All-Pro and a leader. So his replacement, while not as skilled, would need to have to have similar qualities.

Taylor is that guy to me. You see him at 6'4" 229 and you think strong safety big hitter type but he's not that type of player in my mind, after seeing a few "Bigfoot" quality videos of him. He looks more like a fast, rangy ballhawk than vicious thumper. Not only would he be an excellent backup but odds are he'd be an amazing special teamer as well. Maragos would get the boot but I'd love a secondary of Thomas/Chancellor/Johnson/Taylor/Guy. Who knows, maybe he ends up competing with Kam for his job. He mitt be versatile enough. He's certainly athletic enough.

Add to that that you'd have the "Atari Bigby" role filled as well as have a shot at taking advantage of Earl's versatility by moving him around a bit more and you've got a GREAT prospect in Cooper Taylor, in my humble opinion.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I keep hearing people say that Earl spending any time at CB is crazy talk but Pete Carroll said himself that Mark LeGree would allow them to do some different things with ET. Of course LeGree didnt work out, but if we can find a fast free safety that can defend passes, (he doesn't necessarily need to be a ball hawk), then Thomas can occasionally cover the slot receiver and preserve our late game leads.

It was so frustrating last season to watch teams march down the field completing pass after pass to the slot receiver and letting the game slip from our grasp. Having the ability to sneak Earl in to slot coverage could result in game ending interceptions.

So if we could find someone who is fast and smart, even if they are only 5'9" that could make the difference between a W or an L. Not to beat a dead horse, but I think Josh Wilson could fill that spot perfectly. IIRC, he is even faster than ET and right there with CJ2K.

CPHawk

Reaction score
A solid late round pick could be John Boyett.

drdiags

Reaction score
-The Glove-":naxo86vp said:
Whatever happened to Legree? Loved his highlights. Played bigger than he was. Looks like he just never caught on anywhere. He posted earlier about school supplies, so good for him, he's focusing on his studies.

Looks like his last team was the Falcons. He was cut. He was on the 9ers PS for awhile I believe.