Travis Jones hired as defensive line coach

tc_z71

Reaction score
New Orleans assistant defensive line coach accept defensive line coaching position with Seahawks per Jason LaConfora.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this guy, other than the fact that he was an assistant D-line coach?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Here's what they have to say about him on the Saint's site:

Entering his eighth year in the NFL, Travis Jones works with defensive line coach Bill Johnson in developing a talented defensive front that possesses a mixture of youth and experience. Known for his dedication to the fundamentals and his teaching skills, Jones begins his fifth season in New Orleans.

Jones has been part of significant improvement in the Saints run defense over the past three seasons, where their NFL ranking against the run has improved from 21st in 2009 to 12th in 2011.

In 2010, Jones helped tutor a line that contributed to the defense finishing in the top ten in the NFL in yards per game (fourth) and points per game (seventh). DT Sedrick Ellis broke out with career-highs in tackles (78) and sacks (6). His takedown total led the team and tied for third among NFL defensive tackles.

In 2009, DE Will Smith enjoyed his finest season as he ranked fifth in the NFL with 13 sacks, while the trio of Ellis, Anthony Hargrove and Remi Ayodele provided a solid pass rush on the interior of a line that played an important role on the Super Bowl XLIV champions.

Prior to arriving in New Orleans, Jones spent three seasons with the Miami Dolphins, his first year as assistant defensive line coach and his final two seasons tutoring the outside linebackers and defensive ends.

During his Dolphins tenure, the line recorded 92 sacks. DE Jason Taylor was selected to the Pro Bowl each year and was named the 2007 NFL Defensive Player of the Year. The Dolphins ranked second in the league in sacks in 2005 and third in 2006.

Before arriving in Miami, Jones spent 2003-04 at LSU, where he was the defensive line coach/recruiting coordinator. In his first season, the Tigers’ defensive front recorded 31 of the team’s school-record 44 sacks, while also limiting opponents to 67 yards rushing per game – ranking third in the nation and first in the SEC.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Interesting...I'll have to wait and see how this plays out. I really have no strong feelings about this one way or the other.

HawkFan72

Reaction score

Rainger

Reaction score
Oh great hopefully the Aints defense (the worst in the league this year) was because of other coaches and he was the only good coach an a terrible terrible defense coaching group.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Anyone brought in from the Saints defensive staff this year does not excite me.......hope I'm wrong.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
rainger":1o95hehb said:
Oh great hopefully the Aints defense (the worst in the league this year) was because of other coaches and he was the only good coach an a terrible terrible defense coaching group.

Yeah, I'm sure this front office would hire a scrub.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3ae53uj4 said:
rainger":3ae53uj4 said:

Se KekSpayh5zjO4YDNKsd7jwQKZast6nR8e  U Xg73vuDdST

CANHawk

Reaction score
Well, with a top notch d line guy like Quinn acting as DC, I suppose it's not a terrible idea to bring in a young guy to apprentice under him (cuz if we keep this up, it's only a matter of time before before Quinn starts getting interviewed for his own HC job).

Colour me cautiously optimistic over this hire.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":si4egg1k said:
FlyingGreg":si4egg1k said:
rainger":si4egg1k said:

Se KekSpayh5zjO4YDNKsd7jwQKZast6nR8e  U Xg73vuDdST

Was Whitehurst a coach...? No.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":n5p0fo2q said:
Nope, but he was a scrub. And they hired him.

Alas, this thread isn't about Whitehurst. It's about the new defensive line coach, and the point is they have made good hires in coaching on the "D". Hence, they wouldn't hire a scrub.

It's just funny when people knock a move like this. I'm pretty sure they know what they wanted to do.

P.S. We don't "hire" players....we trade/sign/draft. 8)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I'm just saying, not even this FO is above making a bad move now and then - see Charlie Whitehurst. So one has to judge this latest hire on his own merits, not on a belief that the FO is infallible. In P&J I Trust, but I can't say I'm too excited about this guy.

Axx

Reaction score
I watched a few saints game this year, there pass rush is not a strength on that team.