Are people surprised by Kaepernick's success?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Thought most Hawks fans have been very respectful and unbiased in this thread.

    I brought up the QBR because Wilson has a remarkably high QBR as well. I'd say Wilson is the better QB at this point, but the 49ers definitely have more weapons and a better OLine. It will be fun to see how the Hawks handle this offseason.

    Hawk fans, would you rather see a big splash in FA or staying with the course you guys have been on (i.e. picking up 2nd tier guys and making them stars).
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


  • hawker84 wrote:
    NorCal wrote:To my fellow Niner fans, the Hawks' fans on here are not going to be swayed by anything you say right now. If they don't believe that Kap is good, let Kap show them next season.

    Is just like when I thought Wilson wasn't going to be that good, he proved it to me over the course of the season. So, Kap will have his chance to prove it to them next year, and hopefully with a Ring already.

    I really look forward to the battles in this division going forward.


    i don't think anyone here is saying Kap is not good.. he's very talented and has been extremely impressive in the playoffs.. but you guys keep throwing out these diluted stats to prove some kind of point...

    you can't judge kap's season performance based on those stats because he didn't start the first half of the season, just like you can't judge RW on his season long stats, because he was handcuffed and barely threw the ball in the first half.. give them both a full year with the playbook wide open to compare the two, then we can disguss who's the more effective QB..

    No doubt both will probably do very well, and both will more than like be in the top tier for QB's in the league..


    Agreed. Wilson obviously improved once Bevel opened up the offense. If the Hawks can get one more stud receiver, possibly at the TE position, the Hawks O will undoubtedly be scary.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


  • Back up TE perhaps, Miller was lights out during the last stretch of the playoffs, and was showing his pro-bowl form... TE position is not one of our major concerns at this point, unless millers foot does not heal by next season.. D line , WR , OLB , are more pressing issues to address.. and i actually like McCoy as our back up, some do not..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3921
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • hawker84 wrote:Back up TE perhaps, Miller was lights out during the last stretch of the playoffs, and was showing his pro-bowl form... TE position is not one of our major concerns at this point, unless millers foot does not heal by next season.. D line , WR , OLB , are more pressing issues to address.. and i actually like McCoy as our back up, some do not..

    I think the Patriots and 49ers have demonstrated the benefits of having 2 stud TEs. It opens so much for the offense, especially the type of offense you guys are trying to run. Not trying to dismiss Miller, he was and is a quality TE. But, I think you guys need a Vernon Davis to really open up the O.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


  • i'll take him for sure.. but we're almost identicle at tight end.. we have one stud that does everything well, and a backup with all the promise and athletism i the world, but will drop the easiest passes at the blink of an eye at the most crucial times.. so friggen irritating.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3921
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • SoHo9erFan wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:Back up TE perhaps, Miller was lights out during the last stretch of the playoffs, and was showing his pro-bowl form... TE position is not one of our major concerns at this point, unless millers foot does not heal by next season.. D line , WR , OLB , are more pressing issues to address.. and i actually like McCoy as our back up, some do not..

    I think the Patriots and 49ers have demonstrated the benefits of having 2 stud TEs. It opens so much for the offense, especially the type of offense you guys are trying to run. Not trying to dismiss Miller, he was and is a quality TE. But, I think you guys need a Vernon Davis to really open up the O.


    Every team in the league could use a Vernon Davis.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8693
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • AbsolutNET wrote:Every team in the league could use a Vernon Davis.


    Pre-or-post "locker room cancer" Vernon Davis?
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24825
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • AbsolutNET wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:Back up TE perhaps, Miller was lights out during the last stretch of the playoffs, and was showing his pro-bowl form... TE position is not one of our major concerns at this point, unless millers foot does not heal by next season.. D line , WR , OLB , are more pressing issues to address.. and i actually like McCoy as our back up, some do not..

    I think the Patriots and 49ers have demonstrated the benefits of having 2 stud TEs. It opens so much for the offense, especially the type of offense you guys are trying to run. Not trying to dismiss Miller, he was and is a quality TE. But, I think you guys need a Vernon Davis to really open up the O.


    Every team in the league could use a Vernon Davis.

    True. But I think we are seeing more and more Davis-esque players at the TE position.

    Just analyzing your team, it seems like you have a plethora of #2 receivers. I don't know you guys can find a player better than Sydney and Golden in the late 1st round. Just think you can find better value at the TE position than at WR.

    Like a poster said earlier, your front office might elect to take a DT or OLine.

    Either way, your roster is pretty stacked and, in general, you guys don't have a weak spot.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


  • FWIW, Jaws thinks Kaep has the potential to be the best of the young QBs drafted the past 2 years. Those that have ESPN Insider can view the full article here

    If the 49ers keep him upright, Kaepernick could become the NFL's top QB

    Like most young quarterbacks -- including the big three of Luck, Wilson and Griffin III this season -- Kaepernick is being given a steady diet of simple reads. If receiver No. 1 isn't open, move to No. 2. If he's covered, tuck and run. We're not seeing five-receiver progressions from the 49ers, in part because they don't have to, given Kaepernick's running ability. But we will over time.

    I believe that Kaepernick will develop into more of a pocket passer, which will help him make use of two of his great assets (his arm strength and accuracy) and alleviate some of the burden on his other great assets (his body and speed, both of which decrease with age). That development will help keep him healthy and keep him in the lineup -- and winning games -- for the 49ers. San Francisco will want to maximize his ability to help it win year in and year out, not squander it after a handful of seasons and multitude of downfield hits. If the Niners keep Kaepernick upright, he will flourish.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9162
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • He certainly has the potential to be something great. They ALL do... Assuming RG3 learns to not take the big hits all the time.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 117
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


  • Image
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18405
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Yes - because he was a nothing until Harbaugh copied the Redskins Pistol offense for him.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 370
    Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:16 am
    Location: Buckeystown, MD


  • I am not surprised and I am not even ready to call the Niners winning a "success" for CK. He is 5-2 in the regular season on a team that was 6-2 with Alex Smith. I think if you stuck Andrew Luck, RG3 and especially Russell Wilson on that team they would be even better. He is an improvement over Smith however, that just isn't saying much to me.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5579
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:Yes - because he was a nothing until Harbaugh copied the Redskins Pistol offense for him.


    Are you familiar with Chris Ault?
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 117
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am


  • Not suprised. I think the majority of the starting QB's and most second string QB's would be successful. When a team that has sucked for a long as the 49'ers have and accumulated a ton of high draft picks over the years, the team will get good on both sides of the ball and help the QB.
    "We have to focus with every challenge we get. The bigger, the better. The more hyped, the better. We keep doing what we're doing. Tough matchups on the road, high-profile games - we want that, we feed off that, we should be able to develop the discipline to deal with that." Pete Carroll
    User avatar
    Hawkfish
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 710
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:12 pm
    Location: Monroe, WA


  • How do I embed a video on this site? None of the normal HTML codes are working.

    Mod note: Use the text after "v=" and click the youtube button above the message box
    Last edited by frase32 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
    frase32
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 47
    Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 am


  • No I hoped we would draft him , I liked him out of college. However it's hard to be disappointed with Wilson.
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1859
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


  • kearly wrote:
    mretrade wrote:Seattle did not expose Kaepernick at all. If they did don't you think opponents would of learned by it already and not be loosing to him in the playoffs.

    Seattle won not so much for their play on Kaepernick but for their play against the 49ers defense. Kaepernick played average but was not the reason for loosing this game at all. The 49ers defense was gassed at the end of the year with out their most valuable defensive player coming off a big emotional win in New England the following week. First play of the game on offense, Seattle ran right at Justin Smith's replacement, Ricky Jean Francios, and Marshawn Lynch ran for a touchdown pretty much untouch. Looking back at that game, considering Seattle's home field advantage, the way the defense played, Kaepernick played average.

    Tom Brady 36-58 395 Yards 2 touchdowns 2 Interceptions @ Seattle
    Tony Romo 23-40 251 Yards 1 Touchdown 1 Interception @ Seattle
    Aaron Rodgers 26-39 223 Yards 0 Touchdowns 0 Interceptions @ Seattle
    Colin Kaepernick 19-36 244 Yards 1 Touchdown 1 Interception @ Seattle

    Did you guys expose Romo, Rodgers, and Brady, and once teams learn from it in the offseason those players won't be any good either?

    Give Seattle credit. They blasted the 49ers defense that night and that night the 49ers defense sucked. Seattle is almost unbeatable in the Clink. They have a good defense that becomes very good at home. Kaepernick played fine that night, nothing special but exposed he was not.


    Maybe you didn't watch the game, but Kaepernick was incredibly uncomfortable. It was also by far his worst stat line of the season. Kaepernick still needs an eternity to check his 2nd read, and Seattle exploited that by pressuring him and then anticipating his escape route. The result was just 4.4 YPC on a ton of aborted passes. Even Kaepernick's 1 TD pass (in garbage time) looked like it would have been overturned had the officials given a shit at that point. Kaepernick looked like a broken man in his postgame presser.

    I'm not disrespecting Kaepernick. He's a talented player who will probably continue to get better. But he does currently have obvious weaknesses and in that game Seattle exposed them. You are a blind homer if you can't see that. Or maybe you do know it and just want to be a curmudgeon.

    As far as the other QBs- Brady actually ripped us to shreds that game, we were very lucky to win. Romo was better than his stat line, which was still decent. Rodgers- yeah Rodgers kind of got his ass kicked by our defense- fair point. He had to revert to captain checkdown to find any effectiveness. I don't think we really exposed Rodgers though- I just think his O-line had a horrific night.


    "Looking uncomfortable" is not exposing him. Every... EVERY quarterback has a bad game occasionally. Your supposition about Kaepernick taking a long time to go to his second read is false. The Seattle game is the ONLY one that he has had trouble at that. Oh, and that game was his SIXTH start...

    The reasons Kaepernick looked bad against Seattle are the following:

    1. Kaepernick hadn't even had more than FIVE starts before being thrown to the wolves that are Seattle's defenders.
    2. You seem to be vastly underestimating your home field advantage, particularly against an inexperienced quarterback.
    3. Seattle was highly motivated after what, five defeats to the 49ers in a row? Meanwhile the 49ers were still in a funk over the Patriots game.
    4. Seattle has a great defense. Sometimes defenses shut down quarterbacks. Did Peyton Manning's 5 interception games show that he was "exposed?"

    The fact is, Kaepernick was merely overwhelmed by inexperience and crowd noise and the intensity that the Seahawks brought to the game. He wasn't "exposed," in fact, that game MADE HIM BETTER at all facets of playing quarterback, particularly game management and getting the play called quickly to get to the line of scrimmage with plenty of time to adjust.


    RiggoReincarnated wrote:Yes - because he was a nothing until Harbaugh copied the Redskins Pistol offense for him.


    So his outstanding regular season numbers when the 49ers barely ran the Pistol offense was "nothing?"

    (in the two games against Green Bay and Atlanta they ran the Pistol almost as much as they had the entire regular season)

    According to an interesting, detailed breakdown of the San Francisco offense by NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks this week, the Niners became a dramatically different offensive team in the playoffs than they were during the regular season.

    “The fact that the team has used the Pistol on 49.2 percent of its offensive plays in the playoffs – after employing the formation on just 70 of 969 offensive plays in the regular season – reflects Jim Harbaugh’s willingness to continually adapt his offensive philosophy while making a Super Bowl run,” wrote Brooks.


    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Mo ... 27221.html
    User avatar
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 386
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 am


  • This is the video I had intended to post. I think it is interesting that Kaepernick barely ever get hit. Being a Niner fan the facts stated in this video mirror what I thought about Kaep, he really doesn't get hit that often.

    frase32
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 47
    Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 am


  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:Yes - because he was a nothing until Harbaugh copied the Redskins Pistol offense for him.


    This is hands down the most ill informed post I have ever seen in seahawks.net history. The Redskins took the Pistol offense from the University of Nevada, where Kaepernick ran the offense.
    Image
    User avatar
    BASF
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1507
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm


  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:Yes - because he was a nothing until Harbaugh copied the Redskins Pistol offense for him.


    I was going to stay away from this conversation and just read your opinions till I read this comment.

    Dude....Kaep was running the Pistol in PREseason. Roman was running it at STANFORD after flying out to talk to Chris Ault at Nevada a few years ago.

    BTW, Chris Aults QB at Nevada? COLIN KAEPERNICK. If ANYONE is copying someone, it's the Redskins.

    Have a clue.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • BASF wrote:
    RiggoReincarnated wrote:Yes - because he was a nothing until Harbaugh copied the Redskins Pistol offense for him.


    This is hands down the most ill informed post I have ever seen in seahawks.net history. The Redskins took the Pistol offense from the University of Nevada, where Kaepernick ran the offense.


    Thank You.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Riggo is a Skins fan...
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8693
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • This is some good ish, right here.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24825
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • AbsolutNET wrote:Riggo is a Skins fan...


    Yeah, we're generally a lot more informed about football than skins fans.

    Check out extremeskins.com

    You'll be literally amazed at the ignorance.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10642
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:Riggo is a Skins fan...


    Yeah, we're generally a lot more informed about football than skins fans.

    Check out extremeskins.com

    You'll be literally amazed at the ignorance.

    you should check out saints report if you want to find some misinformed ignorant fans
    User avatar
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 200
    Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 am
    Location: big black hawk


  • Saints Report is nowhere near as bad as Extreme Skins.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24825
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • I think we can all agree that Extremeskins.com has the most ignorant and outlandish fans out there by far
    User avatar
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 374
    Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am
    Location: Tacoma, WA


  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:Yes - because he was a nothing until Harbaugh copied the Redskins Pistol offense for him.


    I can't tell if you are being serious or not so I will help you out. The inventor of the Pistol offense was Kaepernicks coach in Nevada.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • NinerLifer wrote:I can't tell if you are being serious or not so I will help you out. The inventor of the Pistol offense was Kaepernicks coach in Nevada.


    In his defense, the Redskins were running it before the season started, and S.F. didn't start until after Kaepernick became the starter.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24825
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


Previous


It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information