Are people surprised by Kaepernick's success?

amill87

Reaction score
Roland, I used to feel the same way. Than I thought to myself, is there any way Kaep gets more rings than Wilson when its all said and done? Kaep hasn't even shown he can be nearly as effective without his running, so there is the slight possibility that he may not even be relevant in a few years after defenses catch on to him.

heyu123

Reaction score
pehawk":2cnvbv3e said:
I'm not surprised in the least. But, I also had a hunch Alex Smith would become relevant when Harbaugh arrived. Actually, you and I disussed that when he was hired, Les.

While's Kap's playing well, I also think that SF QB gig is a better one than Farve took over with the Vikings. 4 1st rounders across the OL, not including Vernon Davis. And, to his credit, Harbaugh does a lot of slick isht in the running game. But, again, that's due to the wealth of talent across their line. I'd expect ANY QB to atleast be Alex Smith for the 49ers, if not better. Tjack, Flynn, Henne, anyone would be at least a 11 win QB there.

What PC and JS didn't like was his Football IQ from the sound of it. They saw him as an "athelete", a great one. We'll see what occurs when SF doesn't just have to line-up to have the advantage, and Kap has to QB a bit more.

Yeah that's a lie considering a month ago you went on and on about how you weren't sold on Kaepernick and no longer afraid of him being anything.

Obviously you are surprised judging by your past posts

TheWest

Reaction score
Kaep is comp. 54% of his passes of 20yards or more. The next highest is 43%

Only 12.5% of his passes are off target, best in the NFL.

hawker84

Reaction score
ya we got all those numbers in the other thread you started.. remember that thread where you called me out, and disappeared? where you threw out a bunch of stats, and was called on them and yet again disappeared.. Or the thread where you say Black QB's don't study enough to have success in the NFL, called on that and yep you guessed it, disappeared.. nobody gives a flyin you know what about the stats you throw out here.. you've lost all credibility, you should probably scamper on back to the niner boards now...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2zm5gxj5 said:
How bout this stat.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Colin Kaepernick has the league’s best Total QBR since Week 11 (84.0) #49ers
Didn't Alex Smith have a really high QBR too? So, did you have the two best QBs in the league, or is the offensive scheme really conducive to QBR friendly stats? (IIRC, Kaepernick had a really high QBR for the rams loss, mostly based on a long run in the 4th quarter. It certainly was not a great offensive performance)

NorCal

Reaction score
To my fellow Niner fans, the Hawks' fans on here are not going to be swayed by anything you say right now. If they don't believe that Kap is good, let Kap show them next season.

Is just like when I thought Wilson wasn't going to be that good, he proved it to me over the course of the season. So, Kap will have his chance to prove it to them next year, and hopefully with a Ring already.

I really look forward to the battles in this division going forward.

The Outfield

Reaction score
NorCal":2rl1hv4c said:
To my fellow Niner fans, the Hawks' fans on here are not going to be swayed by anything you say right now. If they don't believe that Kap is good, let Kap show them next season.

Is just like when I thought Wilson wasn't going to be that good, he proved it to me over the course of the season. So, Kap will have his chance to prove it to them next year, and hopefully with a Ring already.

That's what I'm looking for - for him to prove himself next season. Because that is what I'm skeptical about. I think he may just be a one year wonder.

hawker84

Reaction score
NorCal":1fzbnqnz said:

i don't think anyone here is saying Kap is not good.. he's very talented and has been extremely impressive in the playoffs.. but you guys keep throwing out these diluted stats to prove some kind of point...

you can't judge kap's season performance based on those stats because he didn't start the first half of the season, just like you can't judge RW on his season long stats, because he was handcuffed and barely threw the ball in the first half.. give them both a full year with the playbook wide open to compare the two, then we can discuss who's the more effective QB..

No doubt both will probably do very well, and both will more than likely be in the top tier for QB's in the league..

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Thought most Hawks fans have been very respectful and unbiased in this thread.

I brought up the QBR because Wilson has a remarkably high QBR as well. I'd say Wilson is the better QB at this point, but the 49ers definitely have more weapons and a better OLine. It will be fun to see how the Hawks handle this offseason.

Hawk fans, would you rather see a big splash in FA or staying with the course you guys have been on (i.e. picking up 2nd tier guys and making them stars).

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
hawker84":1zmnc7dq said:
NorCal":1zmnc7dq said:

i don't think anyone here is saying Kap is not good.. he's very talented and has been extremely impressive in the playoffs.. but you guys keep throwing out these diluted stats to prove some kind of point...

you can't judge kap's season performance based on those stats because he didn't start the first half of the season, just like you can't judge RW on his season long stats, because he was handcuffed and barely threw the ball in the first half.. give them both a full year with the playbook wide open to compare the two, then we can disguss who's the more effective QB..

No doubt both will probably do very well, and both will more than like be in the top tier for QB's in the league..

Agreed. Wilson obviously improved once Bevel opened up the offense. If the Hawks can get one more stud receiver, possibly at the TE position, the Hawks O will undoubtedly be scary.

hawker84

Reaction score
Back up TE perhaps, Miller was lights out during the last stretch of the playoffs, and was showing his pro-bowl form... TE position is not one of our major concerns at this point, unless millers foot does not heal by next season.. D line , WR , OLB , are more pressing issues to address.. and i actually like McCoy as our back up, some do not..

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
hawker84":12jpepj4 said:
Back up TE perhaps, Miller was lights out during the last stretch of the playoffs, and was showing his pro-bowl form... TE position is not one of our major concerns at this point, unless millers foot does not heal by next season.. D line , WR , OLB , are more pressing issues to address.. and i actually like McCoy as our back up, some do not..
I think the Patriots and 49ers have demonstrated the benefits of having 2 stud TEs. It opens so much for the offense, especially the type of offense you guys are trying to run. Not trying to dismiss Miller, he was and is a quality TE. But, I think you guys need a Vernon Davis to really open up the O.

hawker84

Reaction score
i'll take him for sure.. but we're almost identicle at tight end.. we have one stud that does everything well, and a backup with all the promise and athletism i the world, but will drop the easiest passes at the blink of an eye at the most crucial times.. so friggen irritating.

OP
OP
AbsolutNET

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":102l48v0 said:
hawker84":102l48v0 said:
I think the Patriots and 49ers have demonstrated the benefits of having 2 stud TEs. It opens so much for the offense, especially the type of offense you guys are trying to run. Not trying to dismiss Miller, he was and is a quality TE. But, I think you guys need a Vernon Davis to really open up the O.

Every team in the league could use a Vernon Davis.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2ajwc0x5 said:
SoHo9erFan":2ajwc0x5 said:
hawker84":2ajwc0x5 said:

Every team in the league could use a Vernon Davis.
True. But I think we are seeing more and more Davis-esque players at the TE position.

Just analyzing your team, it seems like you have a plethora of #2 receivers. I don't know you guys can find a player better than Sydney and Golden in the late 1st round. Just think you can find better value at the TE position than at WR.

Like a poster said earlier, your front office might elect to take a DT or OLine.

Either way, your roster is pretty stacked and, in general, you guys don't have a weak spot.

drdiags

Reaction score
FWIW, Jaws thinks Kaep has the potential to be the best of the young QBs drafted the past 2 years. Those that have ESPN Insider can view the full article here

If the 49ers keep him upright, Kaepernick could become the NFL's top QB

Like most young quarterbacks -- including the big three of Luck, Wilson and Griffin III this season -- Kaepernick is being given a steady diet of simple reads. If receiver No. 1 isn't open, move to No. 2. If he's covered, tuck and run. We're not seeing five-receiver progressions from the 49ers, in part because they don't have to, given Kaepernick's running ability. But we will over time.

I believe that Kaepernick will develop into more of a pocket passer, which will help him make use of two of his great assets (his arm strength and accuracy) and alleviate some of the burden on his other great assets (his body and speed, both of which decrease with age). That development will help keep him healthy and keep him in the lineup -- and winning games -- for the 49ers. San Francisco will want to maximize his ability to help it win year in and year out, not squander it after a handful of seasons and multitude of downfield hits. If the Niners keep Kaepernick upright, he will flourish.

Reaction score
He certainly has the potential to be something great. They ALL do... Assuming RG3 learns to not take the big hits all the time.

Latest posts