Friendship growing between Fitz and Wilson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Hey guys, I was noticing Wilson and Fitz talking a bit during the probowl yesterday, and of course the connection on the field. I also saw a picture of the two of them eating dinner together. What do you guys think of the possibility of Wilson using the probowl as a chance to sell himself to other "big time" players?

Is he personally recruiting for the hawks, and how awesome would it be to get an elite reciever?

Anyone know how much longer Larry Fitzgerald's current contract is for?
    "I just try to be the calm in the storm." - Wilsonism 101
    MLTHawk
    NET Rookie

• Don't get your hopes up.

Fitz re-signed fairly recently... for mega-bucks.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Fitz signed his extension a year ago, so hes not a free agent anytime soon.
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

• Don't toy with my emotions...
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Maybe Fitz will try and get RW to come to AZ when his contract is up.... :shock:
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Wilson is a guy people gravitate towards, not surprised to see him mixing it up with anyone/everyone.

Given the season he had and the talk about whether or not he could be effective in the league, I'm sure a handful of guys wanted to give him props.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Wilson and Fitz have very similar personalities and go out of their way to help less fortunate people. People like that tend to gravitate towards each other so even though it would be great getting Fitz here, my guess is two games a year against each other is the closest they will come to being teammates.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Maybe Fitz will try and get RW to come to AZ when his contract is up.... :shock:

HAHA, we both had the same trolling thought.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Largent80 wrote:Maybe Fitz will try and get RW to come to AZ when his contract is up.... :shock:

Not funny :bitenails:
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• 8/20/2011: Signed an eight-year, $128.5 million contract. The deal contains $50 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and first-year roster bonus of $8 million. Fitzgerald is eligible for annual $250,000 workout bonuses in years two through eight. 2013: $5 million (+ $10 million option bonus due 3/15), 2014: $12.75 million, 2015: $8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2016: $15 million, 2017-2018: $14.75 million, 2019: Free Agent
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Wilso was also hanging out with Adrian Peterson on the side lines... keep dreaming :).
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:8/20/2011: Signed an eight-year, $128.5 million contract. The deal contains $50 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and first-year roster bonus of $8 million. Fitzgerald is eligible for annual $250,000 workout bonuses in years two through eight. 2013: $5 million (+ $10 million option bonus due 3/15), 2014: $12.75 million, 2015: $8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2016: $15 million, 2017-2018: $14.75 million, 2019: Free Agent

Furthermore, Fitzgerald's contract is actually smaller this coming year than it was this year.

In 2012 he was paid a total of $11.25 million in salary and bonuses with a $13.25 million cap hit.

In 2013 he's scheduled to be paid $7.25 million witha $9.25 million dollar cap hit.

from 2014 thru 2018 he will count between $15 and $20.25 million against the cap.

To me, this says that Fitzgerald's contract is structured to be good for Arizona through the next season. Look for either a restructure or possible trade scenarios for him in the next off season.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I don't think we get Fitz - ever. BUT RW having fun and getting along great with super star WRs is good. Many of these guys are friends and just building that reputation as a star qb, a great teammate etc makes guys look at you and wanting to play here. Look at Denver this year Manning signs and suddenly good WRs want to be there. I think that as early as this FA class you will see that some guys are going to choose Seattle over other teams when the money is either the same or only slightly lower. Those guys would also choose NE, Denver, Indy and a few other places but they won't choose Oakland, KC, Browns etc.

To me being a part of this group can be huge - it can swing that one or two guys every year. Doesn't have to be the superstars but just that one option guy / "last season before I retire" kind of guy
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Russell probably just picking Fitz's brain and getting trustworthy, level headed advice on what to do with $128 million... never hurts to be prepared...

"Everyone hath a plan... until they get punthed in the fathe." -- Mike Tython on the 2014 Theattle Theahawkth.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• Fitz seems to be like that with everyone; he always seems to be the old vet who welcomes the young guys into the league. Doesn't he run a camp or something for rookie WR's coming into the league where he teaches them how to be pros?

I wouldn't read too much into that pic.

The pic with Jarred Allen on the other hand....
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Honestly, I'm not surprised that other players like Wilson...the guy really does seem genuinely likable. The kind of likability that he has transcends the game, it's just from the type of person he is in everyday life.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Fitz wants a ring, he's not going to try and hustle DangeRuss into going to Arizona.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• It would be nice for sure, if it wasn't for the massive cap issues it would create.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• Naaah.

BUT.

How cool was that to see Wilson to Fitz for a TD!

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

• I also heard him telling Brees (on TV) how he thought Gonzalez was all that and a bag of chips. Fitz & Tony G for a year or two? Jeezuz!
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• Some Romeo and Juliet stuff brewing here!
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:I don't think we get Fitz - ever. BUT RW having fun and getting along great with super star WRs is good. Many of these guys are friends and just building that reputation as a star qb, a great teammate etc makes guys look at you and wanting to play here. Look at Denver this year Manning signs and suddenly good WRs want to be there. I think that as early as this FA class you will see that some guys are going to choose Seattle over other teams when the money is either the same or only slightly lower. Those guys would also choose NE, Denver, Indy and a few other places but they won't choose Oakland, KC, Browns etc.

To me being a part of this group can be huge - it can swing that one or two guys every year. Doesn't have to be the superstars but just that one option guy / "last season before I retire" kind of guy

Yeah, while daydreaming about Fitz, this is really the heart of what I was trying to get out of this thread. I think because of who Wilson is, we are going to be getting a lot of people wanting to come play with him.
    "I just try to be the calm in the storm." - Wilsonism 101
    MLTHawk
    NET Rookie

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:Some Romeo and Juliet stuff brewing here!

You mean Bromeo and Juliet? :lol:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Fitz is a freak and I've rated him as one of the best of all time...for quite some time. The guy is just money...I think he dropped a total of 2 balls this past season (!?!). That said, we don't need him. Not at his price tag. I believe Carroll and Bevell will turn the reigns over to RW without reservation this next season. RW's accuracy, especially when on the move, continues to dazzle. He has the ability to make a Fitz out of whomever he is throwing to. I just can't believe this kid. Almost too good to be true.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• There is always a chance the new regime will blow the roster up and listen to all offers. Fitz is older, maybe they will try to get value out of him to build around a younger core. Not smart in my opinion, but crazier things have happened to players his caliber.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

• sturg78 wrote:There is always a chance the new regime will blow the roster up and listen to all offers. Fitz is older, maybe they will try to get value out of him to build around a younger core. Not smart in my opinion, but crazier things have happened to players his caliber.

Excellent point and I am hopeful of something like this happening...and believe it will. Perhaps not with the God-like Fitz, but this ain't Egypt no more. We are on the verge of a dynasty and there's players out there, rich beyond belief, that do not want to retire without a ring. Those players will take less money to play for a champion. With our youth and ownership, I can't think of a better fit for such a player.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Wilson is already making our mostly pedestrian group of wide receivers look pretty good. Just imagine what he could do with higher-caliber guys like Fitz. The Pro Bowl provided a heck of a preview. Hopefully that was more than just a tease. Adding just 1 wide receiver who can get open on a consistent basis would make such a difference .
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• HawKnPeppa wrote:Wilson is already making our mostly pedestrian group of wide receivers look pretty good. Just imagine what he could do with higher-caliber guys like Fitz. The Pro Bowl provided a heck of a preview. Hopefully that was more than just a tease. Adding just 1 wide receiver who can get open on a consistent basis would make such a difference .

....especially on the final drive of the game with 31 seconds left!!! :shock:
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Fitz's contract pays him a LOT of money. He could be a free agent somewhat soon if he isn't much better in 2013 and 2014 than he was in 2012. Wilson is a sneaky one. He will be a pretty amazing politician some day.
    Screaming Seahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Bigpumpkin wrote:
    HawKnPeppa wrote:Wilson is already making our mostly pedestrian group of wide receivers look pretty good. Just imagine what he could do with higher-caliber guys like Fitz. The Pro Bowl provided a heck of a preview. Hopefully that was more than just a tease. Adding just 1 wide receiver who can get open on a consistent basis would make such a difference .

....especially on the final drive of the game with 31 seconds left!!! :shock:

LOL! I have a feeling we wouldn't have needed those final 31 seconds with Fitz, Rice, Tate, Baldwin and Miller.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Ask for your release Fitzy!!!!!!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Ask for your release Fitzy!!!!!!

Free the Phoenix one!
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Adrian Peterson, sat next to him on the bench during the game, not getting him either.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Uffda wrote:Adrian Peterson, sat next to him on the bench during the game, not getting him either.

Wilson could work his magic on AP too.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• I seen RW getting pretty chummy w/ Breeze too. I have no doubts we are going to be trading Flynn for Breeze to be our new backup.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• What about Jared Allen? He didn't just have dinner with Fitz, Allen was there too.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I would say we're basically in the running for every player who was at the ProBowl, and then some. They will probably all come to Seattle very soon. Brees will back up Wilson and we'll slide Larry Fitzgerald to the #1, we'll bring in Welker for the slot. Revis will come cover the slot and Patrick Petersen will take the side opposite Sherman freeing up Browner to play OLB covering tight ends. Navarro Bowman will replace Browner on running downs and Ed Reed is coming in to be depth at safety. Cameron Wake and JJ Watt are coming to anchor our line and as soon as the Super Bowl is over, Ngata is on his way here too. LeSean McCoy will come in to be our 3rd down back and San Francisco's entire O line is coming to bolster our trenches.

We will get 2 Lombardis per season for the next decade and John Schneider will have the executive of the year award renamed "The John Schneider Award for Excellence" for keeping this all under the cap. The Pro Bowl will be the best of the remaining teams in the NFL vs the Seahawks and every Superbowl will be played in Seattle.

Hard to believe that all happens based on one Pro Bowl appearance by Russell Wilson.

*Edit*
    Almost forgot, Pro Bowl MVP Kyle Rudolph will also come in to be our #2 TE after Gronk fails his physical.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• JesterHawk wrote:I would say we're basically in the running for every player who was at the ProBowl, and then some. They will probably all come to Seattle very soon. Brees will back up Wilson and we'll slide Larry Fitzgerald to the #1, we'll bring in Welker for the slot. Revis will come cover the slot and Patrick Petersen will take the side opposite Sherman freeing up Browner to play OLB covering tight ends. Navarro Bowman will replace Browner on running downs and Ed Reed is coming in to be depth at safety. Cameron Wake and JJ Watt are coming to anchor our line and as soon as the Super Bowl is over, Ngata is on his way here too. LeSean McCoy will come in to be our 3rd down back and San Francisco's entire O line is coming to bolster our trenches.

We will get 2 Lombardis per season for the next decade and John Schneider will have the executive of the year award renamed "The John Schneider Award for Excellence" for keeping this all under the cap. The Pro Bowl will be the best of the remaining teams in the NFL vs the Seahawks and every Superbowl will be played in Seattle.

Hard to believe that all happens based on one Pro Bowl appearance by Russell Wilson.

*Edit*
    Almost forgot, Pro Bowl MVP Kyle Rudolph will also come in to be our #2 TE after Gronk fails his physical.

So, the real question is: Which of those players will start getting dogged on this board first? My money is on Welker.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Personally I hope we don't sign a big time WR. Signing a guy for that much $$$ and you can throw the competition aspect of PC's style out the window. You might as well figure on saying goodbye to Tate or Baldwin as well. Which is fine if we brought in a top 15 WR. But due to cap space we'll likely have to let ET, Okung, or Sherman go to due to cap space. Unless we don't want to give Wilson what's coming to him in 2 years.
    ceej22
    NET Rookie

• Wes Welker for 2014 .net whipping boy!
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• I heard that Calvin Johnson is pissed that Fitz was there at the pro bowl and got a leg up on him in the race to force a trade to Seattle.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• ceej22 wrote:Personally I hope we don't sign a big time WR. Signing a guy for that much $$$ and you can throw the competition aspect of PC's style out the window. You might as well figure on saying goodbye to Tate or Baldwin as well. Which is fine if we brought in a top 15 WR. But due to cap space we'll likely have to let ET, Okung, or Sherman go to due to cap space. Unless we don't want to give Wilson what's coming to him in 2 years.

Kinda like flynn, right?
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• ceej22 wrote:Personally I hope we don't sign a big time WR. Signing a guy for that much $$$ and you can throw the competition aspect of PC's style out the window. You might as well figure on saying goodbye to Tate or Baldwin as well. Which is fine if we brought in a top 15 WR. But due to cap space we'll likely have to let ET, Okung, or Sherman go to due to cap space. Unless we don't want to give Wilson what's coming to him in 2 years.

Fitz makes no sense for this team to spend most of their cap space and draft picks to get. He'd eat up at least half of our available cap space, AND cost a boat load of draft picks to trade for.

Add in the facts that we're a run heavy offense, therefore Fitzgerald's value to the Hawks is much less than a pass heavy team.........AND the fact that we're already paying Rice a lot of money = John and Pete would be VERY VERY reticent about tying up that much money in the WR position.

We'd be much better served to draft a burner to develop with this young team and use free agent dollars for the lines.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• This information is per Spotrac.com. Almost always very accurate. Based on his salary cap numbers, if we trade for him we probably lose the ability to re-sign one or two of our young core when their rookie contracts are up, in addition to the first round pick (and probably more) we have to give up to get him. Same problem with trading for Revis. Not worth it in my opinion.

Contract: 8 yr(s) / $128,500,000 Signing Bonus $10,000,000 Average Salary $16,062,500 End Year: 2018 Free Agent: 2019 / Unrestricted
    Base Salary S. Bonus Misc. Bonus Cap Hit
    2011 2,000,000 2,000,000 8,000,000 12,000,000
    2012 5,000,000 2,000,000 6,250,000 13,250,000
    2013 5,000,000 2,000,000 2,250,000 9,250,000
    2014 12,750,000 2,000,000 2,250,000 17,000,000
    2015 8,000,000 2,000,000 10,250,000 20,250,000 (HOLY S***)
    2016 15,000,000 - 2,250,000 17,250,000
    2017 14,750,000 - 2,250,000 17,000,000
    2018 14,750,000 - 250,000 15,000,000
    2019 UFA

$20 million fully guaranteed
    $25 million guaranteed for injury
    Signing Bonus: $10 million
    2012-18 Workout Bonus: $250,000
    2011 Roster Bonus: $8 million
    2012 Roster Bonus: $6 million
    2013 Option Bonus: $10 million
    2015 Roster Bonus: $8 million
    De-escalators for less than 80 rec.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    ceej22 wrote:
    Add in the facts that we're a run heavy offense, therefore Fitzgerald's value to the Hawks is much less than a pass heavy team.........AND the fact that we're already paying Rice a lot of money = John and Pete would be VERY VERY reticent about tying up that much money in the WR position.

There is no fact on what the offense is next year. Just as there is no question on who the quarterback is. It is going to be a different season after a full training camp with no question at the QB position. I don't expect the heavy part of our run game to go away, but I expect some real differences in ratios. There is a lot of passing game that can come out of the backfield as well.

Cap space and the way the organization has been built, no Fitz isn't coming.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

• this team needs an elite #1WR badly. move Rice to #2 and stick Tate into the slot.

with a first round pick, hopefully.
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

• Pstark3 wrote:
    ceej22 wrote:Personally I hope we don't sign a big time WR. Signing a guy for that much $$$ and you can throw the competition aspect of PC's style out the window. You might as well figure on saying goodbye to Tate or Baldwin as well. Which is fine if we brought in a top 15 WR. But due to cap space we'll likely have to let ET, Okung, or Sherman go to due to cap space. Unless we don't want to give Wilson what's coming to him in 2 years.

Kinda like flynn, right?

Not at all like Flynn. Flynn was brought in to compete with one guy T Jackson. So basically he was brought in to be the starter and Wilson stole the show. So they cut Jackson and bench the $$$ mill QB and start the sub $700k QB. Overall the cap hit is not terrible. Ideally you would have highest paid guys out there to get most out of your cap but in this situation it’s not bad. Also, from a competition stand point Flynn had 2 starts under his belt so while he showed he could play but with. PC wisely did not crown him the starter before seeing him on the field.

Now apply that to WR. Bringing in a $$$ WR means bringing in a proven top 15 WR. This isn’t the same as bringing in a QB with limited experience to compete for starting job. You don’t bring in a top 15 WR to compete with the guys you have. You bring him in to be the #1 WR on your team period. If you believe the guys you have can compete with that then you spend the money elsewhere. Now you might draft a guy in the 1st rnd who is projected to be a top 15 WR but that’s not what we are talking about here.
    Then there is the salary cap issue. There would be too much money wrapped up in the position to have him lose to Rice, Tate, and Baldwin. Bringing in $$$ WR means not signing one of our high profile defensive players. So you have to be damn sure he is coming in here to start and not compete for the job because if he is not a clear cut upgrade and loses out on a starting position we’ve damaged the defense for nothing.

I don’t believe JSPC will put the team in that situation.
    ceej22
    NET Rookie

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information