John Schneider not named top executive of the year

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... d-top-exec

Neither prevailed in voting among peers for the Sporting News' award honoring the top executive for the 2012 season. That distinction went to Indianapolis Colts GM Ryan Grigson, who turned over most of the team's roster and went 11-5 with a rookie quarterback.

I can't say I agree with this. But it is what it is. More fuel for this team's fire.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Colts GM wins.
    Russell Wilson and Chris Hansen. My man crushes.
    Yakima Hawkster
    NET Starter

• Absurd. How hard is it to say "Hey, let's draft Andrew Luck."?
    Yakima Hawkster
    NET Starter

• Yeah well we see how that plays out in a few seasons as we're working towards a second title and Luck and CO float at the bottom of the toilet.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• Yakima Hawkster wrote:Absurd. How hard is it to say "Hey, let's draft Andrew Luck."?

The other thing that boggles my mind is that people equate the 11-5 record to Andrew Luck's greatness, but discount Curtis Painter's ineptitude.
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Well, that team was absolutely terrible last year...simply abysmal.

Don't know enough about their draft to make any judgements and not play my homer card.

Was this all based on picking Luck at number 1 like everyone figured would happen? If that's the case then I want a piece of that award, cause I made that call too.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Booooooooooooo!!!!!!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• SouthSoundHawk wrote:Well, that team was absolutely terrible last year...simply abysmal.

Don't know enough about their draft to make any judgements and not play my homer card.

Was this all based on picking Luck at number 1 like everyone figured would happen? If that's the case then I want a piece of that award, cause I made that call too.

How could it NOT be because of that?
    Yakima Hawkster
    NET Starter

• Can an admin drop my thread and merge it with this one when they have a chance?
    Fox0r
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• I think we just got a hint as to who will win OROY. :(
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:I think we just got a hint as to who will win OROY. :(

RGIII?
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• There were a lot of good choices this season. Colts GM, Elway in Denver, Schneider. Don't think we can get too upset about this one.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

• Sorry Blueandgreen I disagree. ROY decision could rightfully favor any one of the three QB's. But executive? No way. Schneider should've won hands down.
    Yakima Hawkster
    NET Starter

• B.S., Schneider should have won this one, no doubt.

Well, just file it under NFL Seattle slights # 4,000,000,006.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I think we just got a hint as to who will win OROY. :(

RGIII?

Doug Martin?
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Colts get rewarded for shamelessly tanking 2011 yet again. They weren't a true 2-14 team last year. The guy they started at QB wasn't even in the damn league in 2012. Advanced metrics show they were pretty bad team this year, too. Wins/losses don't tell the story here. Total sham.
    Last edited by DavidSeven on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Lets look at this, consensus top pre draft QB and they sucked to get him by getting the first pick, head scratcher I'm sure. Schnieder grabs what could be the OROY in Wilson, DROY in Wagner and rookie with most sacks in Irvin yet doesn't get it.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• I honestly thought this was the one we had in the bag. Don't see what's so impressive about drafting Andrew Luck.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• This just in from Doug Baldwin via Twitter:
    "How John Schneider didn’t win executive of the year doesn’t exactly make sense to me."

Pretty much sums it up for me.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

I think a couple years down the road and you look back at each respective bodies of work, Schneider will clearly be the winner, though...probably even the Exec of the Decade if such a thing existed.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I have no indignation for subjective awards. It's nice to win a few, but really it means very little.
    * NET Staff *

• Yeah this is odd. I've heard some decent arguments for Elway and the guy in Miami, but Indy? It's probably because they started 20 something rookies. But I still don't see how they did better than Seattle.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Congratulations to the Colts GM for having the guts to make the most obvious move in the last 20 years of football.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• What you guys are saying:
    The Seahawks are the best
    All other teams suck
    Both Schneider and Grigson did really good jobs, but he still put enough talent on a 2-14 team to take them to the playoffs. The Seahawks had a lot more talent this year so Schneider didn't do as much this year, Grigson should have won with Schneider as a close second
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• Scottemojo wrote:Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.

I know, right? The only way Schneider should have been in contention at all is if he also went 11-5 with a rookie quarterback. And if Schneider had somehow lucked out in the draft with top OROY and DROY candidates, he just might have pulled it off. Might have taken at least one more playoff win than teams like Indy and Denver, though.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.

I know, right? The only way Schneider should have been in contention at all is if he also went 11-5 with a rookie quarterback. And if Schneider had somehow lucked out in the draft with top OROY and DROY candidates, he just might have pulled it off. Might have taken at least one more playoff win than teams like Indy and Denver, though.

That award is voted on before the playoffs. And like I said, the Colts did switch defense schemes this year. Our D was in pretty good shape to begin the year.

I would love it if Schneider won, but he didn't. However, Schneider is getting a Bill Belichick reputation for personnel inside the league. I heard Amani Toomer say that all new GMs would be smart to just figure out who John Schneider likes instead of scouting players. Where our GM used to lose picks moving around in the draft targeting boy scouts, this guy accumulates picks.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Eh, this doesn't bother me to much. Most of this team was built in 2010-11. Wilson and Wagner were great picks and really put us over the top, but the Colts were completely overhauled, much like Schneider did here in 2010. Luck was clearly the main reason for the Colts turnaround (that and their cakewalk schedule,) but still, going from 2-14 to 11-5 while completely overhauling the roster is impressive.
    Last edited by XxXdragonXxX on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Definitely agree that Schneider was more deserving, but people need to quit pretending that all Grigson did was draft Luck. Grigson was deserving, definitely.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Wasn't their schedule ranked like #32 in terms of difficulty?
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Didn't their GM get like 50% new players on the roster?
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Rookie

• These kinds of accolades usually precede a fall off in performance for executives in other businesses. I don't know if that happens in the NFL but at least we don't have to find out the hard way. Being the best is better than being named the best.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• If I'm reading this right, isn't this the Sporting News exec of the year, and not the official AP award?
    misfit
    NET Starter

• misfit wrote:If I'm reading this right, isn't this the Sporting News exec of the year, and not the official AP award?

I think you're right, actually. Looking into it...

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• After a couple google searches, it appears there is no AP award for Exec of the Year. So maybe this is as official as it gets? I have no idea.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• AP doesn't name an Executive of the Year. The Sporting News award is considered the premiere one for the category.

I just saw the voting breakdown:

Ryan Grigson - Indianapolis - 9
    John Elway - Denver - 8
    John Schnieder - Seattle - 3

Bruce Allen - Washington - 2
    Rick Smith- Houston - 2

WOW. That. Is. Ridiculous.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:AP doesn't name an Executive of the Year. The Sporting News award is considered the premiere one for the category.

I just saw the voting breakdown:

Ryan Grigson - Indianapolis - 9
    John Elway - Denver - 8
    John Schnieder - Seattle - 3
    Bruce Allen - Washington - 2
    Rick Smith- Houston - 2

WOW. That. Is. Ridiculous.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Wow, they really missed their marks.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

I think a couple years down the road and you look back at each respective bodies of work, Schneider will clearly be the winner, though...probably even the Exec of the Decade if such a thing existed.

Didn't john do this same thing two years in a row?
    I guess we will see soon enough who builds a better club.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter

• More ignorance. Newsflash, for sure.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Scottemojo wrote:Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.

Kind of rings hollow for me. This snub reminds me of what the Academy Awards does all the time, anointing a flavor of the month film over an obvious all time classic. The Colts had the underlying indicators of a sub .500 team. It is possible, not likely but possible, that Grigson may not even have a job 5 years from now while Schneider is very likely to be the consensus top GM in the league. It wouldn't be the first time this award has looked pretty stupid in retrospect.
    Screaming Seahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• the colts had a MASSIVE roster turnover this past season. I don't remember the exact number but I think it was less than 50% of the roster was on the team last year.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

• ensett wrote:the colts had a MASSIVE roster turnover this past season. I don't remember the exact number but I think it was less than 50% of the roster was on the team last year.

Schneider had to overcome the same thing. The difference is that the Colts GM inherited 3 future hall of fame players and the top pick guaranteed to land the chosen one Andrew Luck.

Schneider inherited a pile of turds too thick to flush.
    No teams over the last few drafts have done half as much as he has. He filled a crappy roster with oodles of probowlers and all-pros and didn't have to have any number one overall picks to do it.
    joeshaney
    NET Starter

If you want to be honest, also bring up the cupcake schedule the Colts had, and having the #1 overall pick which they only got because Curtis Painter's a worse QB than my cat.

John Schneider, on the other hand, was so convinced of what Russell Wilson turned out to be, that he wanted to draft him in the 2nd round instead of the 3rd, and Papa Pete had to talk him down. Just like Elway signing Peyton, it's a move a brain-dead moron would have made, too. Well, even if the Colts didn't, they'd have been fine with RG3 and likely would have made him be more of a passer than the Redskins; but I digress.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• joeshaney wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

Didn't john do this same thing two years in a row?
    I guess we will see soon enough who builds a better club.

Pretty much
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

Can't have it both ways.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

Can't have it both ways.

WINNER!!!! :thirishdrinkers:
    lacenterhawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Love it, DavidSeven.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:All I hear Re: Luck's ROY candidacy is how he has NO DEFENSE, NO RUN GAME, NO OFFENSIVE WEAPONS, and HAS TO DO IT ALL ON HIS OWN. So, which is it? Did the golden boy carry a terribly assembled roster on his back or did their GM surround him with good-enough talent by replacing half the roster?

Can't have it both ways.

JACKPOT!
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information