Johnny Knox

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":30shk1cy said:
SDHawk":30shk1cy said:
Sorry, still waiting for a response that makes sense.

Comments like that are more likely to merely make people chuckle and put you onto their ignore list.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not here for attention. I'm here to discuss ways this team can make itself better. So, if looking at bargain deep threats is not something you feel could improve this team, please ignore me and move on.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":wu1hyri9 said:
You want to talk improving this team?

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013WR.php

Here's a comprehensive list of WRs that could add something to this team, and are as much of a risk as a dude that's been sitting out for a year plus.

Thanks, I prefer we focus on DT/OLB via the draft.

I think there are enough option in FA for WRs... deepest FA pool in a while for receivers, no? Whereas if we use FA to address our needs at DT, we'll be looking to fork out tens of millions of dollars for an impact DT.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I would rather spend big money on the D-line in the free agency. We are already paying Zach and Sidney big contracts. I would focus on WR n TE position in the draft because it should be cheaper. There should be a few options available in top 3 rounds.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":27f9ilu6 said:
I would rather spend big money on the D-line in the free agency. We are already paying Zach and Sidney big contracts. I would focus on WR n TE position in the draft because it should be cheaper. There should be a few options available in top 3 rounds.

No one said anything about spending big money anywhere.

I do think we will explore the FA market for the DL... But if we don't get someone like Desmond Bryant, I don't see why we couldn't leverage our draft picks plus Matt Flynn to try and get an impact DT in the draft like Sheldon Richardson and/or Kawann Short.

Kawann Short
Sheldon Richardson
Brandon Mebane
Bruce Irvin

^That would put alot of pressure on QBs

Then we dont have to blow our budget and we can make smaller FA moves like Jared Cook, Johnny Knox and Tarvaris Jackson.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Thanks SouthSound. I should have prefaced everything by saying I want to explore the most cost-effective way to improve this team. It seems most everyone here is operating under the assumption that we will make a huge spashy move and leverage our cap space to the max this offseason. I just dont see that as being realistic. I don't see us signing Henry Melton or Mike Wallace. I think the most efficient use of our resources is to pursue impact DTs in the draft and to sign bargain FAs like Jared Cook, Johnny Knox and Tarvaris Jackson that can still make an impact but wont necessarily break our bank. I dont see many bargain DT/DE/OLBs in FA.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
SDHawk":xwja6r7h said:
SeahawksFanForever":xwja6r7h said:

I do think we will explore the FA market for the DL... But if we don't get someone like Desmond Bryant, I don't see why we couldn't leverage our draft picks plus Matt Flynn to try and get an impact DT in the draft like Sheldon Richardson and/or Kawann Short.

Kawann Short
Sheldon Richardson
Brandon Mebane
Bruce Irvin

Then we dont have to blow our budget and we can make smaller FA moves like Jared Cook, Johnny Knox and Tarvaris Jackson.

Kawann Short and Sheldon Richardson both? I don't see that as a possibility.

And, Jared Cook won't be cheap in my opinion.

A lot of the 4-3 teams are switching to 3-4 this year. There might be some solid under the radar pass rushers available. I would rather focus on that, Randy Starks, Henry Melton, etc in the free agency and draft WR Hopkins in the first round.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1b59ib9b said:
SDHawk":1b59ib9b said:
SeahawksFanForever":1b59ib9b said:

Kawann Short
Sheldon Richardson
Brandon Mebane
Bruce Irvin

Kawann Short and Sheldon Richardson both? I don't see that as a possibility.

And, Jared Cook won't be cheap in my opinion.

A lot of the 4-3 teams are switching to 3-4 this year. There might be some solid under the radar pass rushers available. I would rather focus on that, Randy Starks, Henry Melton, etc in the free agency and draft WR Hopkins in the first round.

All speculation but I think we can net a 1st rounder if we trade Flynn our 2nd and 5th to a team like the Chiefs or Jaguars.

1. Sheldon Richardson, 3 tech
1. Kawann Short, 5 tech or 1 tech
3. Zaviar Gooden, OLB
4. Jordan Hill, 3 tech
5. Ricky Wagner, OT/G
6. Nathan Williams, DE/OLB

sign Jared Cook, Johnny Knox, Tarvaris Jackson, LeRoy Hill, Alan Branch

QB: Russell Wilson | Tarvaris Jackson**
WR: Sidney Rice | Stephen Williams
WR: Golden Tate | Johnny Knox**
WR: Doug Balwin | Jermaine Kearse
RB: Marshawn Lynch | Robert Turbin | Leon Washington
FB: Mike Rob
TE: Zach Miller | Jared Cook**

LT: Russell Okung | Ricky Wagner*
LG: James Carpenter | Paul McQuistan
C: Max Unger | Lemuel Jeanpierre
RG: JR Sweezy | John Moffitt
LG: Breno Giacomini | Ricky Wagner*

=========

LDE: Kawann Short* | Red Bryant | Greg Scruggs
LDT: Sheldon Richardson* | Jordan Hill* | Alan Branch**
RDT: Brandon Mebane | Kawann Short*
RDE: Bruce Irvin | Nathan Williams* | Chris Clemons

WLB: Zaviar Gooden* | LeRoy Hill** | Malcolm Smith
ILB: Bobby Wagner
RLB: KJ Wright | Mike Morgan

RCB: Richard Sherman | Byron Maxwell
SS: Kam Chancellor | Winston Guy
FS: Earl Thomas | Chris Maragos
LCB: Brandon Browner | Jeremy Lane | DeShawn Shead

================

We would have addressed our need for pass rushing and explosiveness on offense (Marshawn, Tate, Knox and Jared Cook are all legit 4.4 burners) without breaking the bank.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
So you are focusing mostly on the defense in the draft (Which is cool) and not getting RW much help in the draft?

Jared Cook would be nice but other than that, Johnny Knox is your guy? That's it? I am not sure if I agree with that.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1w79tfpc said:
So you are focusing mostly on the defense in the draft (Which is cool) and not getting RW much help in the draft?

Jared Cook would be nice but other than that, Johnny Knox is your guy? That's it? I am not sure if I agree with that.

RW has this ability to motivate others to overachieve. I think even marginally talented receivers would look great next to Wilson. In my mind, I think he only needs that situational deep threat or maybe a faster TE to turn a profit on those scrambles he uses to extend plays. I dont envision us using many 3 wide sets so... long answer short, yeah Im ok with Jared Cook and Johnny Knox as "my guy".

kobebryant

Reaction score
Knox hasn't played since the injury. I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't play again, he would still need to be medically cleared. I hope for his sake he doesn't come back unless there is little risk related to the injury. Very scary. I can't think of anyone who has suffered and back/spinal injury of that extent and made it back to prior form.

No way do the Hawks address their WR depth with the only move being the addition of a player that may or may not be able to play football again. This front office is better than this.

Go young, go healthy. I'd be choked if they passed on guys like Hopkins,Wheaton,Patterson or Woods because they thought the addition of Knox was sufficient.

getnasty

Reaction score
Didn't like Knox before the injury, and i really don't like him now. The draft is really deep at WR, we could pick someone in the 3rd round(Woods,Wheaton,Swope, and Patton) with way more upside then Knox.

Tical21

Reaction score
Meh. No chance he makes our top-3. I'd rather have take on a project with more upside. Knox looked decent for a minute, and then when pushed into a larger role, found he was incredibly limited. Doesn't run good enough routes to get open, can't get off jams, doesn't have very good hands, doesn't have ball skills down the field. Worth a flyer, sure, but wouldn't expect him to make the team.

Bipolar

Reaction score
to be completely honest, I'd much rather prefer a rookie WR taken in first two rounds over healthy Knox as well, HOWEVER, PC/JS should still evaluate the guy, bring him to training camp and check him out. weirder things have happened.

mikeak

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2lzzpkaa said:

How does it matter on which position we spend the money if the total cap hit is the same or less one way?

You go after those in FA that you think you can't get in the draft / you can get in the draft but at a better value in FA or those that while available in the draft you don't plan on using your picks on.

If there are good WRs in FA and lots of them so you think you can get them cheap and there are good pass rushers in the draft then that is how you do it. Doesn't matter what we are spending on Rice and Zach

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I have yet to read anything that suggests that Knox is anywhere close to resuming his football career or even being ABLE to.

From an article posted this past December:

Srdjan Mirkovic, the Bears' spine consultant and an orthopedic surgeon on staff at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, performed a one-level vertebral fusion on Knox on Dec. 19. The initial outlook was four to six months of a recovery just to perform normal activities, and even longer before Knox could return to football.

That optimism changed when more structural damage was discovered during the surgery. Knox's back was unstable, and there were more torn ligaments than anticipated. The nerve damage couldn't be assessed until after the surgery, and Knox had to wear a back brace for a while after the procedure.

Considering how taxing the recovery process has been on him, Knox declined to revisit the incident when approached this week. He is on the physically-unable-to-perform list for the remainder of the season, although he is around the team daily.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1ch91v2r said:
I have yet to read anything that suggests that Knox is anywhere close to resuming his football career or even being ABLE to.

From an article posted this past December:

Srdjan Mirkovic, the Bears' spine consultant and an orthopedic surgeon on staff at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, performed a one-level vertebral fusion on Knox on Dec. 19. The initial outlook was four to six months of a recovery just to perform normal activities, and even longer before Knox could return to football.

That optimism changed when more structural damage was discovered during the surgery. Knox's back was unstable, and there were more torn ligaments than anticipated. The nerve damage couldn't be assessed until after the surgery, and Knox had to wear a back brace for a while after the procedure.

Considering how taxing the recovery process has been on him, Knox declined to revisit the incident when approached this week. He is on the physically-unable-to-perform list for the remainder of the season, although he is around the team daily.

Exactly