If Seattle did draft a DT at #25...

SDHawk

Reaction score
Anyone else see Short being a solid 5-tech?

Trade Matt Flynn and a 2nd rounder to move up the 1st to take Sheldon Richardson, then use our own 1st on Kawann Short.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":1vsbniwg said:
Red Bryant, Bruce Irvin, and Greg Scruggs were all guys that had more physical ability than skill.

The current state of the D-line doesn't really endorse such a strategy. We wouldn't be here talking about first-round DT's if it did.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I could see us taking Short at 25 and then coming back in to grab a big WR or available DE.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
By coming back I meant trading up in the draft from our 2nd round pick.

McGruff

Reaction score
SDHawk":3eef6ew4 said:

Trade Matt Flynn and a 2nd rounder to move up the 1st to take Sheldon Richardson, then use our own 1st on Kawann Short.

We already have one of the leagues best 5 techDE's.

SDHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3uxu7pzh said:
SDHawk":3uxu7pzh said:

Not sure about one of the leagues best, but I get your point.

I only mention because members are slotting Kawann in as a 3 Tech but I could see him as a capable 5 tech that can gobble up space the same way Big Red does. Kawann is great at shedding blocks and needed to be constantly doubled in college. Great at stopping the run and a great tackler but overrated as pass rusher, IMO. Him next to Sheldon Richardson would cause alot of problems.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":14ymvr1f said:
SDHawk":14ymvr1f said:

And he has a foot problem that may or may not be a big deal going forward. Antonio Gates has never really recovered from his plantar fasciitis.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1p5unqfx said:
We'll have to agree to disagree on the tape, but I still don't see any chance what so ever of him being Seattle's pick in round one. They've stressed 'pass rush' as the greatest need. Nothing I've seen so far has said this guy is going to be a great pass rusher. Effective nose tackle, perhaps. Short is on another level as a pass rusher it's not even close. Sly Williams is more of a one technique IMO, but he has a swim move for the ages. Brandon Williams is just a big dude.

If his athleticism is as good as people say, he'll show it at the combine and he could be a relatively high pick (still don't think R1). The Seahawks need someone who can get off a block and penetrate. I didn't see any of that during the Senior Bowl game (he was a complete non-factor) and I didn't see it against Lincoln college or whoever he was playing in that video. He has to dominate Lincoln college for me to get even remotely excited, and he didn't dominate them.

On the other hand, the Seahawks can feel very comfortable if they're at #25 and Kawann Short is the only DT left worthy of a pick in R1. He is far better than I initially presumed and is just what this team needs. Age bothers me (24 -- old like irvin) but he is constantly making splash plays. Another guy to watch - Jordan Hill at Penn State. Has as good a chance as anyone to be the 'Geno Atkins' of this draft class.

I thought it was interesting that Mike Mayock compared Kawann Short to Jerel Worthy. Worthy was my favorite DT in last year's draft, and Worthy had a very similar draft stock situation. I see Short as being kind of a Mebane type 3-tech, in that he has to win in the first half second off the snap and if he doesn't, he's usually a non-factor. As much as I like Short, I am not really convinced he solves our problem. I don't see Jordan Hill as another Geno Atkins, but I do like him more for what Seattle needs at 3-tech than Short or Sylvester Williams, who play like 1-tech / 3-tech hybrids.

What intrigues me about Brandon Williams is his potential to dominate physically. If Pete got the most out of Brandon Williams you'd have a hell of a player, even if he wasn't a traditional 3-tech.

Sylvester Williams scares me a little. If Seattle drafted him it would feel a lot like when they drafted Carpenter at #25. He seems destined to be a NFL roster worthy player but not much more. He has a nice looking swim move but only seems to get results with it when the offensive line wants him to. On most plays, he is mercilessly stonewalled. I think what we need isn't sacks, it is reasonably consistent pressure, or at least pushing the pocket. Brandon Williams and Kawann Short are much more promising in those two areas, IMO. If Seattle drafted Sylvester Williams, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt like I would have with Zach Brown last year, but it's not a pick I want to see happen.

MontanaHawk05":1p5unqfx said:
kearly":1p5unqfx said:
Red Bryant, Bruce Irvin, and Greg Scruggs were all guys that had more physical ability than skill.

The current state of the D-line doesn't really endorse such a strategy. We wouldn't be here talking about first-round DT's if it did.

I wasn't talking about strategy, I was talking about tendencies. Besides, if you are looking for a polished can't miss pass rusher, you should probably start looking at 2014 options and hope for the best.

I agree with your intentions here, but that would mean addressing DL with non-trivial free agent additions or making a very expensive trade up in the draft. I'd be for either move, but I'm guessing that won't happen, and instead we'll see the team have it's pick of a variety of imperfect options. Past history indicates it will probably be a player with more ability than skill, for better or worse.