Are people surprised by Kaepernick's success?

drdiags

Reaction score
A lot of the young QBs have done well over the past 2 years. I remember when it was thought that a QB needed 5 yrs to really be ready for the Pro game, but that was in the beginning of time. Kaep has looked just as poised as most of the good young ones. He has proven to me that he is a NFL quality QB, just as much as Dalton, Luck, RG3, Wilson and Newton have in their perspective roles. I thought he would make a critical error due to his youth in this run but just like Wilson, he didn't do that.

I figure it is a tough sell trying to be objective about a rival QB and if you give a little too much love you are considered a traitor but if I had no vested interest in the 9ers crashing and burning, I would say young Kaep has done better than I thought he would when Harbaugh made the change. I was expecting and most definitely hoping for a disaster. That isn't what I saw nor what happened.

When folks here talked about wanting him in the draft I figured Dalton was the better option from my limited input. I wouldn't want to do that if the chance was there now and there were no Wilson.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Truthfully I was surprised by his success. When I found out he was starting against the Bears my confidence dropped for the rest of the season. But boy did he put on a show! He has continued to thrill and has led us to the Superbowl...what more can a Niner fan ask for of their starting QB up to this point?

Obviously I am asking for 1 more win! ;)

seadoc

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2q043mnu said:
Obviously I am asking for 1 more win! ;)
Sure! How's November? Best I can do.

I keep being surprised by Kaepernick. We'll see if he stands the test of time mentally and physically (not wishing injury on the guy, but ya know he just seems pretty liable out there).

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Alex Smith took that team on a deep playoff run.

That O-line is what makes that offense what it is.

Edit. Spelling.

hawker84

Reaction score
Seattle won not so much for their play on Kaepernick but for their play against the 49ers defense. Kaepernick played average but was not the reason for loosing this game at all. The 49ers defense was gassed at the end of the year with out their most valuable defensive player coming off a big emotional win in New England the following week. First play of the game on offense, Seattle ran right at Justin Smith's replacement, Ricky Jean Francios, and Marshawn Lynch ran for a touchdown pretty much untouch. Looking back at that game, considering Seattle's home field advantage, the way the defense played, Kaepernick played average.

you know i keep hearing the SF defense played like crap, because they're coming off a big game against NE, and they had to play 90 some plays in that game, blah blah blah... this was a divisional rival game, where the division was still on the line, these guys for the most part are in there mid to upper 20's.. don't give me that crap they were tired or emotionally drained, they're professional atheletes.. you guys were manhandled in every possible way in that game.. those excuses work over in the webzone, but not here...Kap was running for his life all game, and looked like a deer caught in the headlights.. did we expose him, eh don't know, but we definitely found kinks in his armour.... i'll give you that not having JS in there made a difference, but i'm not giving you the NE excuse...

TheWest

Reaction score
hawker84":1kbogrtd said:
Seattle won not so much for their play on Kaepernick but for their play against the 49ers defense. Kaepernick played average but was not the reason for loosing this game at all. The 49ers defense was gassed at the end of the year with out their most valuable defensive player coming off a big emotional win in New England the following week. First play of the game on offense, Seattle ran right at Justin Smith's replacement, Ricky Jean Francios, and Marshawn Lynch ran for a touchdown pretty much untouch. Looking back at that game, considering Seattle's home field advantage, the way the defense played, Kaepernick played average.

you know i keep hearing the SF defense played like crap, because they're coming off a big game against NE, and they had to play 90 some plays in that game, blah blah blah... this was a divisional rival game, where the division was still on the line, these guys for the most part are in there mid to upper 20's.. don't give me that crap they were tired or emotionally drained, they're professional atheletes.. you guys were manhandled in every possible way in that game.. those excuses work over in the webzone, but not here...Kap was running for his life all game, and looked like a deer caught in the headlights.. did we expose him, eh don't know, but we but we definitely found kinks in his armour.... i'll give you that not having JS in there made a difference, but i'm not giving you the NE excuse...

If you can't see how playin NE, the week before, could cause us to be tired then you just have blind hate....

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
We played NE 4 days before we played you on Thursday, and I don't see anyone here making excuses for the outcome of that game. That is the nature of the NFL. I'm sure your win against us that Thurs doesn't come with an asterisk in your mind.

TheWest

Reaction score
Archer":jrs7ifgy said:
We played NE 4 days before we played you on Thursday, and I don't see anyone here making excuses for the outcome of that game. That is the nature of the NFL. I'm sure your win against us that Thurs doesn't come with an asterisk in your mind.

I dont look at your win like that either. You kicked our ass, plan and simple, but if you cant see that there was some things that contributed to that than I dont know....

Reaction score
The Battle #83":1qt68d8o said:
I thought his slooow release would bother him alot but guess he worked on it.

I don't know why people thought he had a slow release. Sport science (I know...) did a bit on him around draft time in 2011 and he actually had a very quick release and an accurate throw.

It LOOKED goofy for sure. But it wasn't all that slow.

It's similar to his run style. He has such long legs that he really doesn't look that fast. But each step somehow seems to take him 2.5 yards.

hawker84

Reaction score
TheWest":2p6gd5xc said:
Archer":2p6gd5xc said:

I dont look at your win like that either. You kicked our ass, plan and simple, but if you cant see that there was some things that contributed to that than I dont know....

Could it have been, the Seattle is actually the better team.. na no way it could have been that. like i said the absence of JS was a huge loss to you guys, i'll give you that... but we were missing key players too. if your D can't get up for a Division game on National TV with huge playoff implications, then i don't know.

TheWest

Reaction score
hawker84":2y1ce06y said:
TheWest":2y1ce06y said:
Archer":2y1ce06y said:

Could it have been, the Seattle is actually the better team.. na no way it could have been that. like i said the absence of JS was a huge loss to you guys, i'll give you that... but we were missing key players too. if your D can't get up for a Division game on National TV with huge playoff implications, then i don't know.

I'll be the first one to admit that the Seahawks have a great team, but do you honestly beleive that the Saehwks are the better team?

I think it's closer than most 49er fans like to admit, but I do think we slightly edge you guys out.

themunn

Reaction score
TheWest":23x2y2dp said:
I'll be the first one to admit that the Seahawks have a great team, but do you honestly beleive that the Saehwks are the better team?

I think it's closer than most 49er fans like to admit, but I do think we slightly edge you guys out.

Why not? We gave you an absolute beatdown, and whilst you managed to do what we couldn't and go to Atlanta and beat the Falcons, you did it with 8 days rest after a home game the week before in an 12pm PST game as opposed to 7 days after another road game in a 10am PST start, maybe the 49ers do win in that situation - but if you think playing a tough game against New England contributed to you suffering such a beatdown to us, then quite clearly the same should apply to us in Atlanta.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1l4tm7bk said:
The Battle #83":1l4tm7bk said:
I thought his slooow release would bother him alot but guess he worked on it.

I don't know why people thought he had a slow release. Sport science (I know...) did a bit on him around draft time in 2011 and he actually had a very quick release and an accurate throw.

It LOOKED goofy for sure. But it wasn't all that slow.

It's similar to his run style. He has such long legs that he really doesn't look that fast. But each step somehow seems to take him 2.5 yards.

i saw one of their preseason games last year because im in the local area and his release is way quicker now.

OP
OP
AbsolutNET

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Kap definitely hit pay dirt with the support he has, no question. I was just reading a recent SI and it mentioned how people were thinking Harbaugh made a bad decision by sticking with him, and how taken aback they were with his success. I think with less flexible coaching he probably wouldn't be as successful, but you can say that about a lot of people. I really admire how the staff just got together and said "well here's what he is comfortable with, here's what we are best at, so lets put it together" and found success. Obviously I wish it was on a team in the AFC East or something, but it is what it is.

I will say, I have been impressed by his passing as well, but that's pretty easy when the defense decides that covering the TE isn't a good use of resources...

hawker84

Reaction score

i think you guys edge us out in quality players at more positions.. but yes i think the best team in the west will not be playing in the SB this year.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1krgdp4z said:
Kap definitely hit pay dirt with the support he has, no question. I was just reading a recent SI and it mentioned how people were thinking Harbaugh made a bad decision by sticking with him, and how taken aback they were with his success. I think with less flexible coaching he probably wouldn't be as successful, but you can say that about a lot of people. I really admire how the staff just got together and said "well here's what he is comfortable with, here's what we are best at, so lets put it together" and found success. Obviously I wish it was on a team in the AFC East or something, but it is what it is.

I will say, I have been impressed by his passing as well, but that's pretty easy when the defense decides that covering the TE isn't a good use of resources...

which TE? I had Vernon Davis on my fantasy team for the regular season and he sucked. did walker have a big year?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mretrade":ddrphtgg said:
I watched the game. Maybe you are missing my point. What quarterback looks comfortable in Clink on a nationally televised game at night when your team can't stop anything on defense. Has any of those quarterbacks looked comfortable? You are saying Seattle exposed parts of his game that will be realized in the offseason. I don't see how you can support that. I knew his touchdown came in garbage time but it probably would have came earlier had Manningham not fumbled when he tore his knee out.

If his game was exposed, ask the Falcons or Packers.

One sub-par to average game in that situation does not equal game exposed. I could of made that same post about Russell Wilson's game against the 49ers earlier in the year.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, we are not going to reach an agreement on this. I am just going to say, its just not accurate to say his game was exposed and that suddenly teams are going to review that tape again and see how they can stop him. No Seattle has a very good secondary and defense. They are very hard to beat at home. The list of QBs uncomfortable at Clink has included plenty pro bowl quarterbacks, none of them were exposed.
Kaepernick threw back across his body twice, nearly throwing one pick in the endzone. Then throwing a pick in the end zone. Half his YPA average on the night. His slow pre snap reads cost several delays and timeouts.

The kid has a ton of talent, but so does the team around him. Still, the scheme is awesome, Harbs may be a social disgrace but he is a coaching savant. He makes an offense easy for a QB. Alex Freaking Smith should have gone to a Super Bowl in that offense, and in fact put up as good of numbers or better as Kaepernick. Don't they both have about the same YPA?

Kaepernick struggled out of the pocket in Seattle, and the pistol needs up the middle running success to open the outside. Kaep didn't get that up the middle success, so his pistol run game never developed. Seattle took away his deep reads, and he struggled to find his secondary targets.

If it makes you feel better, I think Kaepernick gets a ring this week.

OP
OP
AbsolutNET

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The Battle #83":2venavod said:
which TE? I had Vernon Davis on my fantasy team for the regular season and he sucked. did walker have a big year?

the Falcons didn't cover Vernon Davis for about 1/3 of the game and was wide open all the way down the field every time SF had the ball.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":12lfmcr4 said:
The Battle #83":12lfmcr4 said:

the Falcons didn't cover Vernon Davis for about 1/3 of the game and was wide open all the way down the field every time SF had the ball.

Didn't they also do that with Miller? I didnt get to see the 1st 3 quarters because of a wedding. My friend who is a seahawks fan as well told me that they weren't covering Miller at all.