Comparing Harbaugh & Carroll (By Hawk Blogger)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Pete Carroll is sitting at home. Jim Harbaugh is preparing for the Super Bowl. Ask the average fan which one has done a better job in the NFL, and most would point to Harbaugh's record and roster as evidence that he is the more valuable organizational leader.

    http://www.hawkblogger.com/2013/01/comp ... chise.html


    Good read.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

    Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    User avatar
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1989
    Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm


  • I've been pointing this out since Harbaugh landed in San Francisco two years ago. He inherited a supremely talented roster, and his draft picks thus far do not look to have been spectacular on an overall basis. 1st-round pick WR not playing the whole year? Wow.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26403
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • Good read, but something most of us already knew. Their defense, as far as I can tell, is going to give them fits in the future. Especially as Justin Smith gets older, it's really going to hurt their defensive line.

    Their offense should be fine for awhile, though. The O-line is still relatively young and they have some young receivers and Kaepernick.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15443
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • The Seahawks trajectory is so much steeper than the 49ers, San Francisco better get their ring this year, because the evidence suggests it may be the last time Caroll allows them a shot.


    I don't see how this is relevant. PC inherited a team like most of you said needed a lot of work, and therefore needed to do more to improve it hence the steep trajectory the blogger points out.

    On the other side, JH inherited a very talented team with all the pieces in place that was just missing a good coach to lead them. Why would Harb's fix what's not broken? Again, hence the steeper trajectory of PC as the blogger points out.

    So far Harbaugh hasn't shown that he can rebuild a team because he hasn't been required to do so yet. Though his decision to make the questionable switch to Kaep early in the season is something that all the analysts (so called experts) have all eaten crow over and stated that that move alone speaks TONS about his ability to recognize talent and make the appropriate roster adjustments to make his team win.

    The argument can also be made, that the blogger didn't point out, that Harbs has already demonstrated that he can lead his team to the Superbowl and even possibly win it, while PC hasn't yet. Yes Harbs inherited a great team, but that same team didn't even make it to the playoffs since 2002 until Harbs showed up and took them to the NFCCG his first year, and the Superbowl in his second year.

    You don't go from a losing season one year to 13-3 and make it to the NFCCG the next year without a great coach.

    I'm not taking anything away from the tremendous accomplishments that PC has achieved since taking over the Hawks, as I know that the Seahawks are definitely one of the better teams in the league now that PC is at the helm. :)
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • NinerLifer wrote:
    The Seahawks trajectory is so much steeper than the 49ers, San Francisco better get their ring this year, because the evidence suggests it may be the last time Caroll allows them a shot.


    I don't see how this is relevant. PC inherited a team like most of you said needed a lot of work, and therefore needed to do more to improve it hence the steep trajectory the blogger points out.

    On the other side, JH inherited a very talented team with all the pieces in place that was just missing a good coach to lead them. Why would Harb's fix what's not broken? Again, hence the steeper trajectory of PC as the blogger points out.

    So far Harbaugh hasn't shown that he can rebuild a team because he hasn't been required to do so yet. Though his decision to make the questionable switch to Kaep early in the season is something that all the analysts (so called experts) have all eaten crow over and stated that that move alone speaks TONS about his ability to recognize talent and make the appropriate roster adjustments to make his team win.

    The argument can also be made, that the blogger didn't point out, that Harbs has already demonstrated that he can lead his team to the Superbowl and even possibly win it, while PC hasn't yet. Yes Harbs inherited a great team, but that same team didn't even make it to the playoffs since 2002 until Harbs showed up and took them to the NFCCG his first year, and the Superbowl in his second year.

    You don't go from a losing season one year to 13-3 and make it to the NFCCG the next year without a great coach.

    I'm not taking anything away from the tremendous accomplishments that PC has achieved since taking over the Hawks, as I know that the Seahawks are definitely one of the better teams in the league now that PC is at the helm. :)


    I hate it when you Niner fans come here and act classy. It makes it harder to keep up my general disdain for your team and fan base. :evil:
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    User avatar
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1813
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, Nevada


  • I've never read his blog, but I met 'Hawkblogger' in Toronto pre-Bills game this year. Seemed like a cool and thoughtful dude.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • NinerLifer wrote:You don't go from a losing season one year to 13-3 and make it to the NFCCG the next year without a great coach.


    Nobody is saying Harbaugh isn't a good or great coach, but he had already set himself up to be hated by Seahawks fans before he entered NFL coaching due to Carroll already being our coach. The whole going for 2 points while up by 5 scores at the end of the 4th quarter thing in college was unarguably classless, no 49ers fan should wonder why Seahawks fans don't like Harbaugh. We can admit he knows what the hell's doing and still hate him.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26403
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:You don't go from a losing season one year to 13-3 and make it to the NFCCG the next year without a great coach.


    Nobody is saying Harbaugh isn't a good or great coach, but he had already set himself up to be hated by Seahawks fans before he entered NFL coaching due to Carroll already being our coach. The whole going for 2 points while up by 5 scores at the end of the 4th quarter thing in college was unarguably classless, no 49ers fan should wonder why Seahawks fans don't like Harbaugh. We can admit he knows what the hell's doing and still hate him.


    I completely agree, and don't question the reason why Hawks fans hate Harbaugh. The reason why some of us Niner fans don't let that effect our opinion of him is due to the fact that we have been subjected to a LONG period of coaches who were content with getting up by 7-10 points and then pump the brakes offensively and start calling a conservative game, which worked less than half the time each season, hence our losing records that we endured. Having a coach with a killer instinct is something we have begged for for a very long time.

    Perhaps it is my level of understanding that allows me to post on here without going full retard over every Niner hate filled post I read. I wouldn't expect anything less from a rivals MB, as Niner MB's are filled with Hawk hate as well. It's all relative! ;)

    PC is obviously a great coach, and thanks to him and Harbs, and maybe even Fisher, the NFCW is now the toughest division in the NFL! You guys have to agree that it feels good to no longer be referred to as the "NFC Worst".
    Last edited by NinerLifer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Random note about Fisher; that team scares me if Bradford can step another level up, particularly with all those draft picks they have coming. Hell, their D-line already scares me. Our division might send three teams to the playoffs next year.

    Also, damned right it feels good for our division to be respected. I still want you to get blown out by the Ravens in 9 days, though. ;)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26403
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Random note about Fisher; that team scares me if Bradford can step another level up, particularly with all those draft picks they have coming. Hell, their D-line already scares me. Our division might send three teams to the playoffs next year.

    Also, damned right it feels good for our division to be respected. I still want you to get blown out by the Ravens in 9 days, though. ;)


    But of course! ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Curious Ninerlifer.. how did it make you feel to see your coach throw the tantrum on the sideline? be honest...

    that and the fact he is a documented A hole from ex players , ex team mates and just the way he carries himself on camera is why i do not care for him.. Great coach no doubt, but his character is what turns me negative towards him.

    granted Carroll has his moments too.. oh and i too want to see you suffer a miserable SB loss...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4052
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • hawker84 wrote:Curious Ninerlifer.. how did it make you feel to see your coach throw the tantrum on the sideline? be honest...

    that and the fact he is a documented A hole from ex players , ex team mates and just the way he carries himself on camera is why i do not care for him.. Great coach no doubt, but his character is what turns me negative towards him.

    granted Carroll has his moments too.. oh and i too want to see you suffer a miserable SB loss...


    In all honesty I didn't like seeing him throw himself like that, even though I did the EXACT same thing at the same moment LOL. But that type of behavior should be reserved for the fans, but I love seeing the passion he has for winning. Again it is easy to forgive his negative behavioral qualities since he has in exchange given us so much more. I don't have any problem with how he treats the media. He knows that the NFL is a big chess game and you need to think 3 moves ahead and not give away all your secrets. Something our previous coaches didn't understand. I can still remember Singletary when he first took over as HC in a press conference telling the media "We will ride behind #21 and run the ball down their throats!" And the ensuing season we saw how running 3 downs in a row and then punting over and over again didn't work out so well. I'm not saying that it would have worked if he didn't announce that we were going to design our offense around Frank because after all Dingleberry was an idiot, but giving away your game plan during a press conference is just stupid.

    Personally I am comforted by how serious Jim is taking our Superbowl matchup, while his brother is publicly goofing around and seems more relaxed. Of course I expect John to have one hell of a game plan ready on February 3rd, but us Niner fans know that Harbaugh is an evil genius and when given 2 weeks to prepare for a game, it has always been spectacular to watch it! I am sure Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy can agree. ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • They've both done what's been asked of them, and I'll give Harbaugh his due credit for being able to coach up young QBs, but Carroll certainly took on a much more difficult project. There's no denying that.

    Can't remember a coaching rivalry that I felt was as intense as the one between these two guys. This is going to be fun for a long time.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3903
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • DavidSeven wrote:They've both done what's been asked of them, and I'll give Harbaugh his due credit for being able to coach up young QBs, but Carroll certainly took on a much more difficult project. There's no denying that.

    Can't remember a coaching rivalry that I felt was as intense as the one between these two guys. This is going to be fun for a long time.


    I am with you on that one. With PC and Douchebaugh's history of USC v. Stanford and the rivalry that is the Seahawks v. 49ers, it's going to be really fun to watch these two teams over the next couple years. They seem to go back and forth on who has the better gameplan. The Seahawks have been improving noticibly v. the 49ers over the past two seasons so it's going to be interesting to see what happens in year 4 of Project Pete :)
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1079
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Bellinghome


  • NinerLifer wrote:In all honesty I didn't like seeing him throw himself like that, even though I did the EXACT same thing at the same moment LOL.

    You and I don't have moral turpitude clauses in our employment contracts that require us to act like an adult and represent our employer professionally, though.

    NinerLifer wrote:Harbaugh is an evil genius and when given 2 weeks to prepare for a game, it has always been spectacular to watch it!

    Easy there, cowboy. You guys tied the Rams after your bye this year, and you put a whopping 20 points up against a horrible Cleveland team after your bye last year. Harbaugh's a long ways from proving dominance with two weeks of planning.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26403
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • One thing pointed out by this article regarding McCloughan, you can see that Baalke hasn't been too shabby in keeping the talent level flowing into their team:

    There is no understating the work McCloughan's successor, Trent Baalke, has done in building a Super Bowl contender. Baalke's 2011 draft produced, in order, linebacker Aldon Smith, quarterback Colin Kaepernick, cornerback Chris Culliver, running back Kendall Hunter and fullback Bruce Miller. It's comparable to the team's celebrated 1981 and 1986 drafts that helped produce, and then sustain, San Francisco's former dynasty.

    Still, 11 of the team's 22 starters were acquired when McCloughan ran the personnel department, including five of the 49ers' nine Pro Bowl selections this year: Dashon Goldson, Frank Gore, Justin Smith, Joe Staley and Patrick Willis.

    Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/25/513995 ... rylink=cpy


    I think the talk of their imminent demise may be premature. Unfortunately only time will tell whether the Seahawks are on the fast track and the 9ers are slipping.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9317
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • It's simply too early to tell if Harbaugh can build or maintain a team's talent level. I'd say we won't really know for 3 more seasons, possibly more, based on the personnel they have from the prior regimes and the ages of those players right now. Harbaugh has a ton of time to find replacements for all the good players, though; that's for sure. So, there's no excuse for him to not get it done.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26403
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • I agree with NinerLifer. Comparing Carroll to Harbaugh as organizational leaders is an apples-to-oranges comparison at this point precisely because they haven't been asked to accomplish the same things. The article reaches a bit to establish Harbaugh as already failing at the rebuilding process. Definitely a homer piece.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11309
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • drdiags wrote:One thing pointed out by this article regarding McCloughan, you can see that Baalke hasn't been too shabby in keeping the talent level flowing into their team:

    There is no understating the work McCloughan's successor, Trent Baalke, has done in building a Super Bowl contender. Baalke's 2011 draft produced, in order, linebacker Aldon Smith, quarterback Colin Kaepernick, cornerback Chris Culliver, running back Kendall Hunter and fullback Bruce Miller. It's comparable to the team's celebrated 1981 and 1986 drafts that helped produce, and then sustain, San Francisco's former dynasty.

    Still, 11 of the team's 22 starters were acquired when McCloughan ran the personnel department, including five of the 49ers' nine Pro Bowl selections this year: Dashon Goldson, Frank Gore, Justin Smith, Joe Staley and Patrick Willis.

    Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/25/513995 ... rylink=cpy


    I think the talk of their imminent demise may be premature. Unfortunately only time will tell whether the Seahawks are on the fast track and the 9ers are slipping.


    Again why would Trent replace talent that is on the field that is superior to most of those at the same position on other teams? That would have gotten him fired LOL! Baalke brought in Harbaugh, which based on his first 2 years, is a huge talent acquisition for our team.

    Again, you don't fix what isn't broken. Apples & oranges like stated above, which makes that yet another irrelevant statement by the author of that blog.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • NinerLifer wrote:
    drdiags wrote:One thing pointed out by this article regarding McCloughan, you can see that Baalke hasn't been too shabby in keeping the talent level flowing into their team:

    There is no understating the work McCloughan's successor, Trent Baalke, has done in building a Super Bowl contender. Baalke's 2011 draft produced, in order, linebacker Aldon Smith, quarterback Colin Kaepernick, cornerback Chris Culliver, running back Kendall Hunter and fullback Bruce Miller. It's comparable to the team's celebrated 1981 and 1986 drafts that helped produce, and then sustain, San Francisco's former dynasty.

    Still, 11 of the team's 22 starters were acquired when McCloughan ran the personnel department, including five of the 49ers' nine Pro Bowl selections this year: Dashon Goldson, Frank Gore, Justin Smith, Joe Staley and Patrick Willis.

    Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/25/513995 ... rylink=cpy


    I think the talk of their imminent demise may be premature. Unfortunately only time will tell whether the Seahawks are on the fast track and the 9ers are slipping.


    Again why would Trent replace talent that is on the field that is superior to most of those at the same position on other teams? That would have gotten him fired LOL! Baalke brought in Harbaugh, which based on his first 2 years, is a huge talent acquisition for our team.

    Again, you don't fix what isn't broken. Apples & oranges like stated above, which makes that yet another irrelevant statement by the author of that blog.


    I guess I am agreeing with you so not sure if you are using my post as a soapbox or whether you are refuting some imagined slight on my part?
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9317
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Random note about Fisher; that team scares me if Bradford can step another level up, particularly with all those draft picks they have coming. Hell, their D-line already scares me. Our division might send three teams to the playoffs next year.

    Also, damned right it feels good for our division to be respected. I still want you to get blown out by the Ravens in 9 days, though. ;)


    Bradford has reached his ceiling and their secondary still sucks. They are a few pieces (and years) away from a complete team, methinks...
    My Tapatalk for Ipad is bigger than yours. Size matters.
    User avatar
    MeanBlueGreen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1150
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:56 pm
    Location: Redwood City, California


  • NinerLifer wrote:
    drdiags wrote:One thing pointed out by this article regarding McCloughan, you can see that Baalke hasn't been too shabby in keeping the talent level flowing into their team:

    There is no understating the work McCloughan's successor, Trent Baalke, has done in building a Super Bowl contender. Baalke's 2011 draft produced, in order, linebacker Aldon Smith, quarterback Colin Kaepernick, cornerback Chris Culliver, running back Kendall Hunter and fullback Bruce Miller. It's comparable to the team's celebrated 1981 and 1986 drafts that helped produce, and then sustain, San Francisco's former dynasty.

    Still, 11 of the team's 22 starters were acquired when McCloughan ran the personnel department, including five of the 49ers' nine Pro Bowl selections this year: Dashon Goldson, Frank Gore, Justin Smith, Joe Staley and Patrick Willis.

    Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/25/513995 ... rylink=cpy



    I think the talk of their imminent demise may be premature. Unfortunately only time will tell whether the Seahawks are on the fast track and the 9ers are slipping.


    Again why would Trent replace talent that is on the field that is superior to most of those at the same position on other teams?...


    The point is not necessarily to replace the starters, but to add depth at these positions through the draft. Preferably with players who will be able to replace the current starters when they leave/retire. It is amazing the percentage of snaps the starters take, I think it is over 90% or something crazy like that.
    scipiobronze
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 11
    Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:58 pm


  • scipiobronze wrote:The point is not necessarily to replace the starters, but to add depth at these positions through the draft. Preferably with players who will be able to replace the current starters when they leave/retire. It is amazing the percentage of snaps the starters take, I think it is over 90% or something crazy like that.


    I am pretty sure that the Niners are credited with being one of the most deepest teams in the league actually, not just with players but with quality players.

    You are correct about the snaps the defense gets per game though. Our entire defense was on the field for something like 93 snaps against the Patriots which no doubt contributed to the fatigue our defense was experiencing when you guys crushed us the following week.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Random note about Fisher; that team scares me if Bradford can step another level up, particularly with all those draft picks they have coming. Hell, their D-line already scares me. Our division might send three teams to the playoffs next year.

    Also, damned right it feels good for our division to be respected. I still want you to get blown out by the Ravens in 9 days, though. ;)



    We now have a REAL division that will honestly stack up against any other in the league. Period. The winner of this division year in and year out will be a battle hardened S.O.B.

    NFC East? Please !
    User avatar
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3515
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


  • I understand the optimism about the Seahawks but this "the ceiling is higher" and "Carroll built his own team" stuff is shrug-worthy at this point, even if true. The Seahawks were eliminated from the playoffs, and the 49ers are playing in the Super Bowl (and were in the NFC Championship last year).
    User avatar
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 841
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:56 pm


  • Bpunk, this is a Seahawkcentric opinion on a Seahawk MB. You can shrug all you want. I'm going to assume you're a Raven fan? Good luck and hopefully your team wins the SB. We hate the ninners around here.
    User avatar
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3515
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


  • A lot of that article is flawed because of one point. Jim Harbaugh has had only two years with his team to shape the roster. Pete Carroll has had four years. Of course more of Pete's pro bowlers were added by him than Jim's. And yes there is a lot of talent on the roster but most of the offensive talent was not responding until Jim got there. If you watch the level of sophistication on offense, you know instantly Jim is a really good coach.

    And the 49ers are young at the critical positions. Quarterback, offensive line, wide receiver, running back (hunter/james), linebacker. The area for improvement in age is really defensive line.
    mretrade
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 498
    Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:54 pm


  • Lets see if the infusion of talent continies, the 49ers drafted a year after Scott left, most the data had been collected by then on guys and solidified by the current regime. I expect Harbaugh like Pete had a lot of insight to the talent of the picks you chose as well being fresh out of college level coaching. The level of returns start diminishing rather quickly after the third year.

    Time will tell but we have a hell of a couple talent evaluators now in McGlophlin and Schnieder which is why I think we continue our rise, Pete and the rest of the staff being able to have a vision of how to use it is the iceing on the cake so to speak.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11188
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • mretrade wrote:A lot of that article is flawed because of one point. Jim Harbaugh has had only two years with his team to shape the roster. Pete Carroll has had four years....


    Pete has had 3 yrs not 4 yrs just to be clear.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9317
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • MeanBlueGreen wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Random note about Fisher; that team scares me if Bradford can step another level up, particularly with all those draft picks they have coming. Hell, their D-line already scares me. Our division might send three teams to the playoffs next year.

    Also, damned right it feels good for our division to be respected. I still want you to get blown out by the Ravens in 9 days, though. ;)


    Bradford has reached his ceiling and their secondary still sucks. They are a few pieces (and years) away from a complete team, methinks...

    I just heard day before yesterday that there has never been any team that Rob Ryan has been D-Coordinator for that has ever made the playoffs and that he's never had a defense ranked above #15 overall in the NFL. That does not bode well for the Lambs.

    Oh, and I agree with MBG's statement about Bradford having reached his ceiling already. Fisher's got a lot of draft picks thanks to the RGIII trade, but I think they're limited by Bradford to the point the best they'll do in the near future is like a 9-7 season.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image

    Proud member of the 38 club
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11779
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • In Harbaugh's 1st year, the 49ers defense changed dramatically.

    Dante Whitner, Carlos Rogers, Navarro Bowman, Ray McDonald, and Ahmah Brooks were named starters. Chris Culliver became the 3rd corner. That's half the defense. They were the #1 D in the league that year. (Didn't even mention Aldon Smith, since he only came in rushing situations)

    Harbaugh can't build a team?
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


  • My personal opinion is that Harbaugh is close to the best, if not the best, coach in the NFL. He is certainly one of the top ten in the NFL regardless and I think he rates higher than Carroll who I would also consider a very good coach.

    Harbaugh came into Stanford when it was a whipping post for the Pac-12 to beat on. He turned them into bullies that started with taking down USC when they had all their pieces and when Carroll was there (the infamous 'what's your deal?' bowl).

    I know that a lot of Seahawks fans hate SF because a lot of their fans act like idiots, but that does not mean they don't have a coach in place. He made some solid calls (including removing one of the key weaknesses of that team, the QB, which was a move that few coaches would have made. He might be a jerk on the sidelines, and in real life - but his track record says he is a hell of a coach. And what he has accomplished is as impressive if not more impressive than what Carroll did.

    Frankly, while I am excited about the prospects of the future with this team and with Wilson, I am not blind to the fact that the favorite for the Superbowl next year from the NFC almost assuredly has to be San Francisco. Even though I think we will give them a fight for the top of the NFC for years to come.

    Just as Carroll has to get credit for turning us from a middle of the road team to a contender, you have to give Harbaugh credit for going into a team that nobody could make anything work - and turn them into one of the best teams in football.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 795
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • I have never denied that Harbaugh is a good coach. He succeeded at USD, Stanford, and now with the 49ers. In the case of the '9ers, he had less to overcome than Pete did in Seattle because San Francisco had better talent when Jim arrived than Seattle did when Pete arrived. Both guys should be praised for getting their respective teams to achieve.

    One thing Harbaugh has not yet had to face is keeping a team successful for more than a few years. His longest stint as a head coach was his three years at Stanford. The fact he kept moving up is a credit to his coaching acumen, but it also leaves a blank spot as far as knowing how he will deal with aging players and the accompanying roster churn. That's not to say he will fail. It's just an unknown.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4931
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:You don't go from a losing season one year to 13-3 and make it to the NFCCG the next year without a great coach.


    Nobody is saying Harbaugh isn't a good or great coach, but he had already set himself up to be hated by Seahawks fans before he entered NFL coaching due to Carroll already being our coach. The whole going for 2 points while up by 5 scores at the end of the 4th quarter thing in college was unarguably classless, no 49ers fan should wonder why Seahawks fans don't like Harbaugh. We can admit he knows what the hell's doing and still hate him.

    I hate to sound at all like defending Harbaby but the going for 2 wasn't just an isolated incident. Of course, Jimmay was on the jerk end of the genesis of the bad blood. USC had a significant lead and there was less than 2 minutes so Pete did the normal thing of taking a knee to run out the clock. Harbaby calls a TO! So Carroll lines up a running play but it's a flea flicker that goes for like 60 yard TD and Harbaby is out of his mind crying foul and bad sportsmanship, even though Pete was taking a knee. If he called TO he must've wanted the ball back and if he wanted the ball back then he must've thought he had a chance to win, so Pete squished that chance right away but Jimbo didn't see it that way. That's why he went for 2, because he thought Pete had dissed him (even though he asked for it). Damn, I hate that guy! Just typing it out got me fired up.


    I've been telling people all year about the inherited talent levels and how utterly useless Nolan and Singletary had to be as coaches to have such talent and still be picking in the top half of the draft. Harbaby may not have been so immediately successful if Singletary hadn't wrangled the wills of players like Davis first, but Mike was a terrible HC. Moron Jr had a crap team, but he could have the 90s Cowboys and screw that up. The NFCW is gonna be awesome with the coach hating rivals slugging it out year to year and the rising giants in StL are gonna jump in the fight too, though without the intensity of a heated rivalry (though with the way he coaches and some of his players, there'll be bad blood). And all three can agree on one thing, AZ is the place to relieve yourself in between games with real teams.
    User avatar
    MadSweeney
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 146
    Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:00 pm


  • MadSweeney wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:You don't go from a losing season one year to 13-3 and make it to the NFCCG the next year without a great coach.


    Nobody is saying Harbaugh isn't a good or great coach, but he had already set himself up to be hated by Seahawks fans before he entered NFL coaching due to Carroll already being our coach. The whole going for 2 points while up by 5 scores at the end of the 4th quarter thing in college was unarguably classless, no 49ers fan should wonder why Seahawks fans don't like Harbaugh. We can admit he knows what the hell's doing and still hate him.

    I hate to sound at all like defending Harbaby but the going for 2 wasn't just an isolated incident. Of course, Jimmay was on the jerk end of the genesis of the bad blood. USC had a significant lead and there was less than 2 minutes so Pete did the normal thing of taking a knee to run out the clock. Harbaby calls a TO! So Carroll lines up a running play but it's a flea flicker that goes for like 60 yard TD and Harbaby is out of his mind crying foul and bad sportsmanship, even though Pete was taking a knee. If he called TO he must've wanted the ball back and if he wanted the ball back then he must've thought he had a chance to win, so Pete squished that chance right away but Jimbo didn't see it that way. That's why he went for 2, because he thought Pete had dissed him (even though he asked for it). Damn, I hate that guy! Just typing it out got me fired up.


    I've been telling people all year about the inherited talent levels and how utterly useless Nolan and Singletary had to be as coaches to have such talent and still be picking in the top half of the draft. Harbaby may not have been so immediately successful if Singletary hadn't wrangled the wills of players like Davis first, but Mike was a terrible HC. Moron Jr had a crap team, but he could have the 90s Cowboys and screw that up. The NFCW is gonna be awesome with the coach hating rivals slugging it out year to year and the rising giants in StL are gonna jump in the fight too, though without the intensity of a heated rivalry (though with the way he coaches and some of his players, there'll be bad blood). And all three can agree on one thing, AZ is the place to relieve yourself in between games with real teams.

    Wrong game. That was the UCLA game.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4931
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA




It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online