Would bringing in a high-$ free agent mess w/chemistry?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sherman has mentioned, a few times, he "starved" at Stanford. He brought up the standard argument of the NCAA raking in the cash while student athletes, like him, are starving. Sherman’s fight over the urine sample attacked the system, for himself and future players. He thinks and talks like a DeSmith or Upshaw (without the being Roger or Paul's fluffer part).

Hypothetically, given who Sherman is, I could see him voicing some questions if a Revis was brought in. Not in a selfish manner, but as a voice for the rookies footing the bill in the new CBA.

Would it be an issue? Most likely not. But, the reason I believe in this team is their personalities and bond. A high-paid outsider, could in theory, disrupt that.

It's the offseason, time to make up isht to discuss. And, while this scenario is unlikely, I bet it's some the front office is cognoscente of.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I don't believe this mentality is present in the locker room. When Pete and John pay to bring someone in, they have to fight to play. Flynn is the perfect example, they obviously thought he would win the competition but when Wilson won it, they had to stay true to the "I'm In" always compete mantra. Now, bringing in another player means the players here already have to perform and beat them out to play, contracts are a separate issue and when their contracts are up, they will get paid. Clemons, Bryant, Mebane, Lynch, and Unger(Awesome, got the extention before the pro-bowl year) got paid. Players know that Seattle isn't going to low ball our top performers so Thomas and Sherman don't have anything to worry about, they'll get paid by keeping it up. I don't think the chemistry will be effected since this issue is part of Pete's philosophy and mantra.

What if Revis comes in and kicks ass? That would set us up for a solid season in the secondary with the outside shut down, offenses play book is down to a lot less plays and only have to worry about the underneath/middle.

Still thinking that this trade for Revis business is an effort to get a team like San Fran to pay up a crap ton of picks and players to get Revis, setting up the Jets with Idzik and ripping off the niners.

McGruff

Reaction score
SuperHawks":1h1asbf3 said:
Good post. I've been thinking a lot about this exact scenario since the Revis rumors started up. I think it would, especially in the case of Revis. Sherman would not take kindly to that, I'm quite certain.

Valid point, IF we could negotiate a fat contract with Sherman. But since we can't per CBA rules, I would think that they would be happy wi making the team better.

And did the OP really compare Darrell Revis to Jim McIlvane?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":22aa2tdq said:
SuperHawks":22aa2tdq said:
Good post. I've been thinking a lot about this exact scenario since the Revis rumors started up. I think it would, especially in the case of Revis. Sherman would not take kindly to that, I'm quite certain.

Valid point, IF we could negotiate a fat contract with Sherman. But since we can't per CBA rules, I would think that they would be happy wi making the team better.

They're both white, crew-cuts AND lead the NBA in blocks per minute at one point.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1hbhjy81 said:
McGruff":1hbhjy81 said:
SuperHawks":1hbhjy81 said:

They're both white, crew-cuts AND lead the NBA in blocks per minute at one point.

Muahahaha.

Fox0r

Reaction score
The thing about Revis is this...

If you've proven can draft all-pro/pro bowl caliber players consistently in the mid-rounds and pay them $500k/year for four years, why would you ever bring in a guy coming off an ACL injury and pay him bank from the get-go?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
pehawk":jdqfck53 said:
SuperHawks":jdqfck53 said:

And, Sherman would have a point, IMO.

His only point is that the CBA should have included provisions to allow teams to reward their rookies with new deals sooner than 3 years into the deal.

Not like Richard Sherman is never getting paid. If anything, he should root for Revis as Revis will probably set Sherman's value.

ceej22

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1j6nfv6x said:
pehawk":1j6nfv6x said:
SuperHawks":1j6nfv6x said:

And, Sherman would have a point, IMO.
I tend to agree with the Sherman gig, because most of the players don't feel that they are too far away from that brass ring, er, should I say Super Bowl Ring, although I believe that we are lacking in certain areas (crushing Defensive line) (Pass Rush), that they feel is not getting it done with certain players on the roster.
I think they realize that with the right moves to fill the open holes, they wouldn't object to it.
Revi$ would probably create a controver$y though.

If we brought in Revis we might as well trade Sherman. If this was the '05 team we might bring him in for one last shot at SB and let him walk after that. Obviously we are still young and building so bringing him in means we would be looking at signing him long term. Say he gets $16 mill per year then Sherman would be looking for that or more. Can't afford both of them plus Thomas and Wilson. Not to mention our All Pro lineman and other impact players that might not demand much money but enough that having both Revis/Sherman will make it difficult to sign them.

There are 5 guys on this team that we need to get on long term deals when the CBA allows (Sherman, Thomas, Wilson, Okung, and Wagner). Yeah we have $18.5 mill cap space right now. Signing a big $$$$ free agent will likely mean one or two of them have to go. So that guy better damn well be the best at his position for the next 5 years. Not gonna happen.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hutch kind of surprised us all with his departure. Money can bring out odd things.

firebee

Reaction score
Would bringing in a high dollar free agent mess with Chemistry? It would if we got a high dollar defensive back. I, simply, don't see any place for a high profile free agent defensive back in our secondary. Lane is on the up and capable of challenging Browner at RCB along with Trufant at Nickel. Jeron Johnson is an amazing backup safety for us, whether many realize it or not. He can play either safety position extremely well and he's a playmaker. I can see us signing a high profile free agent or two, but I don't see us signing a high profile DB.

High profile free agents I could see us targeting and high profile free agents that wouldn't mess with team chemistry too much in my opinion. I could see us signing one, maybe 2, of these guys. Otherwise, I think the rest of the players are resigns or way under-the-radar players.

Brian Hartline - Will probably be available in free agency if Miami uses their franchise tag and/or transition tag on Jake Long, Reggie Bush or Randy Starks. His size and ability compliment Wilson's throwing style and he compliments the other receivers on our roster. I think Hartline would be a great fit for our receiving corp.

Glenn Dorsey - He's younger than Branch and he'll probably cost less than Branch. Get him back to playing in the 4-3 like he was at LSU and he might become the disruptive force in the backfield everybody thought he should've been when he was a top 10 pick in the 2008 Draft. KC shouldn't tag him when they have Bowe and Albert to worry about. He'd compliment Mebane, Howard and McDonald very well in my opinion.

Desmond Bryant - This would be an FA steal for the Seahawks if we can get him away from the Raiders at the right price. A young up-and-comer that performed very well last year for a struggling Raiders team. The Raiders are in cap trouble, so they might not give up what Bryant's worth.

Doug Legursky - He's played C, OT and OG admirably well for the Steelers. I'd love to see him come in and press the issue with our interior line. Our offensive line is a promising unit that's coming together, but I wouldn't let any of these guys think they're the slated starter. Legursky presses the competition and brings a lot of experience to the unit.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah...we'd have to be very careful, if we brought in a high-priced FA, about what we were getting and about what position it was at. Agree with folks who feel that in the secondary, it might cause problems, especially if the guy came in and wasn't as-advertised.

I don't care who your leaders are or what you rationally "know" about the CBA, if you're playing at a crazy high level and getting paid peanuts and a guy at the same position is sucking and being paid 10x as much, it pisses you off. You're not going to say "oh well it was a good idea at the time to get us to the Superbowl...go team!!!" Money ALWAYS has the chance to mess with things.

At DE or DT, where nobody has shown any ability to do squat at rushing the passer, it's a lot less of a big deal because it's not like anyone we currently have can say "hey wait I was already kicking ass there."

Good leadership can't do everything so that comment sounds nice on paper. I put my trust in Pete and John. John to only go after the right guy at the right position at the right time, with the right contract. Pete to tell any new guy "okay you are now officially no more important than anyone else until you prove with your performance you are, and your ass will sit if I see someone better no matter how much you make. Exhibit A: our 5 million dollar bench ornament Matt Flynn."

mikeak

Reaction score
Sherman, RW er understands the rules. They won't mind high priced FA that makes the team better.

IF

You also have enough room to sign those that contributed for a low value. Make sure there is cap room to take care of your own and a few FA signings. Spend the wad in one guy then you loose the locker room because they know there isn't any money left under the cap

Latest posts